Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is shield breaker balanced?

Zer0oo
Zer0oo
✭✭✭✭✭
Is shield breaker balanced?
Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
- Update 23

Is shield breaker balanced? 148 votes

Yes
54%
IcyDeadPeopleakredon_ESOZelosrfennell_ESOGilvothMojmirAnimus-ESOKayshaYakidafiValen_BytemertustaShareeSheezabeastSilverWFbg22KhrogoAztlanrimmidimdimChrlynschSkoomah 81 votes
No
45%
Solarikenvailjohn_ESOCinnamon_SpiderkaithuzarTryxusKoensolheng14rwb17_ESOmariuszeb17_ESO5Nicko_LpstechnohicFasold666olsborgellahellabellapieratsosDemonDruagaTonturriMojomonkeymanMinalanVahrokhEirella 67 votes
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Not in its current state. It needs to trigger on shield stacking enemies only
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Ankael07 wrote: »

It does, I only got it triggered on me when I used a ward of some kind.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Obviously not. But the nerf Sorc brigade will flood this thread like its predecessors and claim it’s needed because they can’t kill shield users. It’s a sad display of crutches.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Balanced Oblivion damage is an oxymoron
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes.

What does the 5 piece do against players without shields?

It's a trade off. It's a much larger trade off for magicka users to use it because the other bonuses are not helpful to overall damage.

It hurts playstyles that run massive shields and little to no heals.
    Edited by brandonv516 on July 28, 2018 6:31PM
  • ItsNebula
    ItsNebula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Only zerglings who cant kill some of the worst Sorcs will say its balanced.

2.5k Oblibion dmg on a LIGHT attack is stupid.
    Give it a cooldown, maybe make it to where it has a 3-4 second cooldown?
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Absolutely not. Nearly 4k Oblivion damage per sec from one idiot spamming bow LAs from a zerg is wildly imbalanced.
    Yes.

What does the 5 piece do against players without shields?

It's a trade off. It's a much larger trade off for magicka users to use it because the other bonuses are helpful to overall damage.

It hurts playstyles that run massive shields and little to no heals.

That is awful design though. Normal (read, non zergling) players can't use it without sacrificing a lot, whilst it empowers zerglings who don't have to think about builds much at all.

It also hardcounters sorc which doesn't have much in the healing area altogether, so relies on the strong and low (soft) counter shields to survive.
    Edited by ak_pvp on July 28, 2018 8:17PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    How can you say it’s not balanced?!?!

Oh I know why, it’s because you’re a magsorc and it’s designed as a counter to you specifically. (Same as sloads although Sloads counters every other build out there. Not for long though suckaz, hahaha! Hope you didn’t gold out your sloads, hahaha. Time to hang your sload up in the trophy case, hahaha!)

I digress. It’s certainly balanced because of what you have to give up just to get the 5th piece shieldbreaker bonus.

Honestly, the fact that ZoS’ response to OP shield stacking is to create an individual set to counter shield stacking is bonkers. If the statistics and the community agree that shield stacking is OP, nerf all damage shields by a small amount... say %2. That’s small enough that it’s not going to break magsorcs as a whole, but it’s big enough that it’s going to have a substantial overall effect. If they’re still overpowered, nerf them by another %2 until they are at a good place. Honestly, ZOS makes something so simple oh so difficult at times. Let’s get more common sense balance changes.

On another note, if magsorcs are having a tougher time dealing with zergs because of shieldbreaker, BOOHOOHOO! I have no sympathy for you. Welcome to every other class.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The number of bad players that need to l2p is about 14, will edit and naming them later so you can all easely reconize them and get free ap next time they try to zerg you :p
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    When there will be a blockbreaker/cloakbreaker/dodgebreaker that will proc you XXXX oblivion damage when you use your classes defensive skill, Shieldbreaker will be balanced since shields/block/cloak/dodge is the damage mitigation forms of all classes on this game. Shieldbreaker punishes magblades and magsorcs, not the rest.

Atm shieldbreaker is balanced between a good player using shields an a non L2P and refusing L2P player that backbars shieldbreaker and just does LA with his resto or bow.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    Ankael07 wrote: »

It does, I only got it triggered on me when I used a ward of some kind.

Shield stacking means using more than 1 damage shield
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • lazerlaz
    lazerlaz
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The set is trash. It is currently too weak for the state of the game right now
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    If spriggarns and spinners instead did 3.2k oblivion damage per sec on non-shielded targets, would it be balanced?

If you think yes, then you're in a good place to think shieldbreaker is balanced.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely find it interesting
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    If spriggarns and spinners instead did 3.2k oblivion damage per sec on non-shielded targets, would it be balanced?

If you think yes, then you're in a good place to think shieldbreaker is balanced.

It's called sloads btw.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

It's called sloads btw.

At a 1/4 of the damage....
    Edited by Biro123 on July 28, 2018 9:14PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I see lots of threads/posts calling out some for being zerglings, having a zergling mentality, etc. Lots of judgement about different playstyles and attitudes and I often disagree with a lot of the overly general arguments of both sides.

When we get a vote for shieldbreaker, however, it's pretty clear cut. 2018, post Summerset, and some still can't deal with shield stacks?

CLEAR CUT
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Let me guess, you play a magsorc
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    About as balanced as shield stacking.
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends how you define balance.

For my taste, it's a bit too much of a rock-paper-scissors scenario where the set is extremely strong vs a few types of opponents but basically useless against all others.
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. Too hard of a counter. Should be more counters less defined
  • Trinotops
    Trinotops
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think it's fine as is. If anything maybe make it so that it procs off of direct damage so that there is a bit more of a trade off to use it.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    callen4492 wrote: »
    How can you say it’s not balanced?!?!

Oh I know why, it’s because you’re a magsorc and it’s designed as a counter to you specifically. (Same as sloads although Sloads counters every other build out there. Not for long though suckaz, hahaha! Hope you didn’t gold out your sloads, hahaha. Time to hang your sload up in the trophy case, hahaha!)

I digress. It’s certainly balanced because of what you have to give up just to get the 5th piece shieldbreaker bonus.

Honestly, the fact that ZoS’ response to OP shield stacking is to create an individual set to counter shield stacking is bonkers. If the statistics and the community agree that shield stacking is OP, nerf all damage shields by a small amount... say %2. That’s small enough that it’s not going to break magsorcs as a whole, but it’s big enough that it’s going to have a substantial overall effect. If they’re still overpowered, nerf them by another %2 until they are at a good place. Honestly, ZOS makes something so simple oh so difficult at times. Let’s get more common sense balance changes.

On another note, if magsorcs are having a tougher time dealing with zergs because of shieldbreaker, BOOHOOHOO! I have no sympathy for you. Welcome to every other class.

This shows the true anti-sorc bias most people on these forums have.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    15k+ shields in PVP is not balanced.
    While this crap is here - do not cry about something, that can pass through it.
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Where is the option for buffing it?
  • Zelos
    Zelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It counters, a counterless shieldstacker playstyle not that there is anything wrong with relying on shields. There is counter play to shieldbreaker, rapid regen which I see alot of shield stackers use for sustain with maelstrom resto staff. :)
    Aeonhack - AD Stamina Nightblade - 5 Star General

CP1200

Creator and user of "Questionable" addons and game mechanics.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Trinotops wrote: »
    I think it's fine as is. If anything maybe make it so that it procs off of direct damage so that there is a bit more of a trade off to use it.

Procs off light and heavy attacks.

Direct damage would be those two things AND a lot more.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don't think so.

I'm just not a fan of easy counters and things that people are fine with being overpowered just because they don't work in all situations.

And no I don't, and never will play mag sorc or any other mag class.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

There is one important difference.

Non-shield targets would also take regular damage to their healthbars as well. Shieldbreaker only damages yours when regular damage can't.

Edited by Sharee on July 29, 2018 5:49AM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    It should probably proc on heavy attacks, light is a bit too much.