The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is shield breaker balanced?

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see all people saying it´s balanced because it counters shield-stacking magsorcs, while completely neglecting any other magicka light armor build that utilizes shields. Basically any magicka class that runs a Destro/Resto setup needs to slot some kind of shield, whether it is Healing Ward or Harness Magicka/Dampened Ward.

Last week I was on my magDK (Resto/Destro) setup playing Battlegrounds. Came across a stamsorc using Sload + Shieldbreaker + Skoria. I can tell you that there was literally 0 I could do against a build like that. Since I run a build that can dish out quite a lot of damage, I can bring most builds very low by using Fossilize. Against this stamsorc, Fossilize was my only way to survive, but all this stamsorc had to do was to use an immovable potion and it was RIP.

The more I PvP, the more I realise that those advocate against Sload and Shieldbreaker know what they´re talking about...
  • mariuszeb17_ESO5
    mariuszeb17_ESO5
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Oblivion damage idea is just stupid like 5s unblockable/undodgeable hard CC.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The poll is now 60/40 in favour of Shield Breaker. This is just another sign for the IMO questionable kind of PvP (and PvP player mindsets) ZOS is nurturing for quite a while.

Granted, being on the receiving end of Rune Cage spam sucks hard and shield stacking is problematic. But it does not justify sets like SB, and the poll result and the usual comments show how out of touch a lot of players are with the game mechanics.

Edited by Bergzorn on July 30, 2018 10:06AM
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Sharee wrote: »
    BohnT wrote: »

- the average DPS of a top duel build is ~3-4k damage with all skills

You make it sound like 3-4k DPS is the maximum achievable in this game. Tell that to the medium armor build whose 25K HP just got deleted in 1-2 seconds by a rune cage/meteor combo.

Even under the most ideal conditions(3500 DPS) it takes shieldbreaker over 7 seconds of continuous fire to remove all HP from a 25K bar(and thats if the attacker does nothing else except spam bow light attacks). By that time, any competent sorc would either have killed the 25K HP attacker(twice over, probably), or bolted to safety(its not hard to outrange a bow attacker who was likely at max bow range to begin with).

I got cheesed so I must cheese.

Lets never put you in charge of balance, to think it could get worse. :*
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    The poll is now 60/40 in favour of Shield Breaker. This is just another sign for the IMO questionable kind of PvP (and PvP player mindsets) ZOS is nurturing for quite a while.

Granted, being on the receiving end of Rune Cage spam sucks hard and shield stacking is problematic. But it does not justify sets like SB, and the poll result and the usual comments show how out of touch a lot of players are with the game mechanics.

The poll is now 60/40 not in favor of shield breaker, its just 60/40 in favor of sorc haters that refuse to learn how to counter sorcs.

ZoS heard the eternal antishield crying on forums, gathered up their tears and created the balanced set called shield breaker for those non L2P cases that come cry in the forum after being outplayied by a magsorc.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Granted, being on the receiving end of Rune Cage spam sucks hard and shield stacking is problematic.

Rune Cage cannot be cast on a target that is CC immune. So what's the spam you speak of? Shield stacking isn't more problematic than a Healbot (possibly using Guard too), or a High-HP-Regen build using Troll King and damage proc sets, or a StamWarden with Forward Momentum, Shimmering Shield and Major Evasion, or perma dodge rolling, or the various other stuff that is in game...
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Feanor wrote: »
    Granted, being on the receiving end of Rune Cage spam sucks hard and shield stacking is problematic.

Rune Cage cannot be cast on a target that is CC immune. So what's the spam you speak of?

What I observe ingame qualifies as spamming in my eyes. Mind that this comes from a person spamming Defensive Rune, which is probably extremely annoying but at least rather untargeted.

Feanor wrote: »
    Shield stacking isn't more problematic than a Healbot (possibly using Guard too), or a High-HP-Regen build using Troll King and damage proc sets, or a StamWarden with Forward Momentum, Shimmering Shield and Major Evasion, or perma dodge rolling, or the various other stuff that is in game...

I'm glad you agree that shield stacking is on the same level of other annoying *** that should be addressed for a better game experience. It's really *** up that we have to weight such stuff against each other. Like, do you prefer to encounter a zergsurfing SB bowtard or a Caluurion+Zaan magblade?

no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    We are dicussing this since the release of the game. No change to this set since then. No statement from ZOS.

Only forum warriors defending this set like their mothers life. Still no one brave enough to hop on pts and prove that they have a sorc build wich can take on shieldbreaker and still doing decent damage.

I personally volunteer to be your enemy on pts same goes for @BohnT.

No forum 1vX . Just a duel on pts to prove that Shieldbreaker is not overperforming.

If you deal with me in a 1v1 and are able to kill me on whatever class you tell me i will shut up forever about shieldbreaker. If not same goes for you.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You make it sound like 3-4k DPS is the maximum achievable in this game. Tell that to the medium armor build whose 25K HP just got deleted in 1-2 seconds by a rune cage/meteor combo.

Even under the most ideal conditions(3500 DPS) it takes shieldbreaker over 7 seconds of continuous fire to remove all HP from a 25K bar(and thats if the attacker does nothing else except spam bow light attacks). By that time, any competent sorc would either have killed the 25K HP attacker(twice over, probably), or bolted to safety(its not hard to outrange a bow attacker who was likely at max bow range to begin with).

Comparing perfectly timed burst combo of 4-5 abilities with ultimate within which requires 1st to have that ultimate charged to brainless light attack spam requiring nothing. Classic Sharee completly ignoring brain cells requirements. You may not know but sorc combo with ultimate takes more then 2 seconds just long part of it is preparing delayed dmg. You need curse+endless fury+meteor+rune cage+crystal frag , so unless global cooldowns were cut in half 2 seconds for it is mathematicly impossible. There are things like oblivion dmg enchant and infused trait existing which emps up amount of dmg from brainless light attack spam.

Also You know since nightblades are the ones which most of the time are using shieldbreaker light attack spam they'll have upper hand of starting fight and it may take few seconds of free light attack spam into cloak before sorc will finally deal some significant dmg and up to this point sorc will be already so low on health that time needed for creating his burst combo will be longer then time left to death.

I am not saying here sorc burst combo is weak or unefficient or shieldbreaker is weak but it just amuses me how Sharee is always trying to blindly look at things.
    Edited by Juhasow on July 30, 2018 12:32PM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    It's not a counter to sorc, it's also a punishment for anyone who gets healed or supported by their allies with any kind of damage shield. Will I have to pray there is not a load of people in a zerg with shieldbreaker when I use barrier before my allies enter a breach? In fact, let me go unslot it since its practically useless with all the sload's, knightslayer, and scattershot (burns right through even a 30K barrier). It already costs too much, might as well slot a damage skill... (is invalidating entire skills what ZOS intends to do with the set?)
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Biro123 wrote: »
    SilverWF wrote: »
    If no oblivion damage it's impossible to kill sorc.
    Or you need 5+ ppl and even then Sorc can just streak away.

Yes, not only sorcs using shields and even stamina users have shields (Bone Shield). But, sorcs has strongest shields.
    I never seen 15k+ shields on anyone but sorcs only.
    And they more supposed to maintain their shields, since all (most: Rune Cage, Mage Fury, Haunting Curse) their damage is not instant, so they have more time to apply another shield.

It's great how people who haven't a clue try to explain how a class works to those that know it inside-out.
    Always gives me a chuckle.

Turn on signatures, omg

But hey, better continue to make me laugh :D
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Juhasow wrote: »

Comparing perfectly timed burst combo of 4-5 abilities with ultimate within which requires 1st to have that ultimate charged to brainless light attack spam requiring nothing. Classic Sharee completly ignoring brain cells requirements. You may not know but sorc combo with ultimate takes more then 2 seconds just long part of it is preparing delayed dmg. You need curse+endless fury+meteor+rune cage+crystal frag , so unless global cooldowns were cut in half 2 seconds for it is mathematicly impossible. There are things like oblivion dmg enchant and infused trait existing which emps up amount of dmg from brainless light attack spam.

Also You know since nightblades are the ones which most of the time are using shieldbreaker light attack spam they'll have upper hand of starting fight and it may take few seconds of free light attack spam into cloak before sorc will finally deal some significant dmg and up to this point sorc will be already so low on health that time needed for creating his burst combo will be longer then time left to death.

I am not saying here sorc burst combo is weak or unefficient or shieldbreaker is weak but it just amuses me how Sharee is always trying to blindly look at things.

@Sharee Stated that killing a magcorc with 7 light attacks is perfectly balanced, now you try to start a conversation with that guy/gall? :dizzy:

Whineblades will always whine, period
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    kikkehs wrote: »
    callen4492 wrote: »
    So just too understand this. Every class (NBs, DKs, Templars and wardens) are allowed to cry about sets that helps zergbads kill them, and crying that said sets is OP.

But if there is a set out there for the sole reason too make zergbads be able too defeat a WHOLE class and we are not allowed to say it's overperforming? realy?

That set isn’t overperforming silly dude. It’s just a bad set. It obviously destroys sorcs and should be deleted. They should come up with a more common sense fix to shield stacking, such as making the second shield cost 10% more if you already have a shield or reducing the sorc damage shield effectiveness by 5%.

It’s not bias. I hate all classes equally. It’s just a clear analysis of the overall consensus of the community that says sorcerers are very strong, probably the strongest and could possibly use a nerf. If something is OP, the community is usually right about it.

Geez, the fact that you’re so defensive about sorcerers probably means you only play a magic sorcerer and are terrified of it being nerfed.

You must be... No, cant say that one aloud on these forums.... But okey! block cost increased with every block, healing cost increased with every heal, cloak cost increased after every use, and increase the cost increase for dodge roll.
    Fair game, right?

If ANY of those things permitted you to ignore incoming damage while nuking players in less than 2 seconds, who’ve 25k resistance, and 3k impen, then yes, we would scream for them to be nerfed as well.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Bergzorn wrote: »

I agree, this guy knows what he’s talking about. Shieldbreaker is stupid and should die. If shields are OP ZoS ahould make more common sense balance changes, such as nerfing the power of the sorc shield, or increasing the cost. By the way, I agree with most of the community that sorcs shields are OP. It shouldn’t be more difficult for me to kill a light armor sorcerer at melee range than it is for me to kill a heavy armor stamdk given how much greater a magsorc’s burst is. End of story.

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Except i was not comparing them. The whole point (which flew so high over yours and others' head it is now entering low earth orbit) was:

Even under the most ideal conditions (3500 DPS, which is practically impossible due to LOS, dodges, out of range, etc.), the sorc has plenty of time to react to the light attack spam, either by killing the spammer(which a sorc can do in less time than it takes the spammer to kill the sorc), or getting himself the hell out of dodge.

The way some are whining about it, you'd think sorcerers start dying in droves as soon as a guy with a shieldbreaker bow appears in a 30 mile radius.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Except i was not comparing them. The whole point (which flew so high over yours and others' head it is now entering low earth orbit) was:

Even under the most ideal conditions (3500 DPS, which is practically impossible due to LOS, dodges, out of range, etc.), the sorc has plenty of time to react to the light attack spam, either by killing the spammer(which a sorc can do in less time than it takes the spammer to kill the sorc), or getting himself the hell out of dodge.

The way some are whining about it, you'd think sorcerers start dying in droves as soon as a guy with a shieldbreaker bow appears in a 30 mile radius.

Which is only possible if the spammer is a much, much, much worse player than the sorc. To be fair, with shieldbreaker users this is usually the case - but why the hell should one set make a bottom-tier pvper a threat against a top-tier pvper?

Yes, I am talking about player skill here. You always seem to assume in your posts that the sorc is broken - and refuse to admit that he may just bet a better player..

Let me give you an example. When I play my sorc, there are other sorc players who I simply cannot beat. There are also sorc players who I can easily beat.. now we're talking magsorc vs magsorc - so it can't be because the class is overpowered, can it? Maybe, just maybe the player that beats me is a better player!!!!
    Guess what? When I play my stamblade (which I'm much, much less experienced at), I still can't be those same sorcs.. Hmm maybe it IS because they are overpowered…? But then, I still do beat plenty of other sorcs.. Wait a minute... How can this be if they are overpowered?? Maybe.. just maybe its because I can beat bad players, and get beat by good players..? Maybe that's it!!??

I can tell you 100% that without shieldbreaker, average players can beat bad sorcs. Good players can beat average sorcs, and average players against average sorcs can go either way.. But you tell me - how the hell can a sorc beat a shieldbreaker spammer in under 6 seconds unless that guy is a complete noob, and the sorc is good?

Are you really advocating that SB is fair because you're a crap player who can't beat a good sorc?
    Edited by Biro123 on July 30, 2018 3:04PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    All I can say is that after seeing firsthand how terrified sorcs are of shieldbreaker, I am definitely getting myself a set of it, MUAHAHA! CHEEEEZ!
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    All I can say is that after seeing firsthand how terrified sorcs are of shieldbreaker, I am definitely getting myself a set of it, MUAHAHA! CHEEEEZ!

Acknowledges that a whole class is terrified of one set.. then goes on to vote that its balanced...

I honestly have no idea how some people can look in the mirror.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Which is only possible if the spammer is a much, much, much worse player than the sorc.

Because if the spammer is good, he will spam his light attacks... better?
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Which is only possible if the spammer is a much, much, much worse player than the sorc.

He will know how to defend himself, not die to the first sorc burst that comes in, then not come crying to the to the forums.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

He will know how to defend himself, not die to the first sorc burst that comes in, then not come crying to the to the forums.

If he defends himself, he is no longer just spamming light attacks. To get the mystical 3500 DPS, he must do nothing but a light attack every 0.6 seconds. If he uses skills(which have a 1s GCD), their animation will interfere with the light attack spam, and his shieldbreaker DPS will fall considerably.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Callen, for some reason I belive you too be a light attacking zergbad that is not will

You must be... No, cant say that one aloud on these forums.... But okey! block cost increased with every block, healing cost increased with every heal, cloak cost increased after every use, and increase the cost increase for dodge roll.
    Fair game, right?

You were going to say, “You must be very insightful and very good at this game.” It’s okay. You can compliment others on the forums...

Anyway, you assume that magsorcs are balanced as is. Therefore, you view any kind of nerf to magsorcs as “unfair”. Let me tell you though, ZoS doesn’t have some magic formula that tells them what is balanced and what isn’t. They’re making their best guess. At the current meta, the general consensus is that magsorcs defensive capabilities (shield stacking) and their long range, undodgeable, unblockable cc, makes them stronger than other classes. So is that fair for magsorcs to not receive a nerf if they are stronger than other classes? You shouldn’t have an advantage over other players in most situations just because of the class you chose. Likewise, if templars heals or a nightblades cloak, or a tank’s blocking or a medium armor user’s dodge roll was too strong of a defensive capability, they should receive a nerf. However, there is not much of a consensus that any of those defensive capabilities are overpowered. So magsorcs are probably going to have to eat a nerf soon. All will be well in the world. They will still be strong. In the meantime, let’s all laugh at ZoS for making such a silly set as shieldbreaker. Well, unless you’re on a magsorc.

A skilled any class combo beats a skilled sorc 100% of all fights. As only bad players lose too sorcs in 1v1, your argument is void.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Id much prefer if the 5th bonus was something like 20% more dmg on shields and blocking target.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • LjAnimalchin
    LjAnimalchin
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I mean I've been one comboed literally in full medium by a single sorc who can just land one cc thats unavoidable and that's the end of the fight. Can only dodge roll once or twice, maybe 3 because of increasing cost. Vigor and rally isn't gonna outheal sorcs burst. Why should a medium build be that squishy, when sorcs in light get tankiness mobility and insane damage, and no counters? They should buff shield breaker. Especially considering a sorc can easily build around shieldbreaker, whereas for example a stamblade can't really easily build around magelight or detect pots or any of the myriad of counters to cloak, just like a stam dk can't really easily build around rune cage and fear and other block-dropping CCs (well ok, maybe wear reactive lol).

There is a lot of sorcs, and they are loud, and they think that they should be able to kill everyone they meet in every situation, because clearly they are the superior player, and this just isn't that game. That's why this is even a problem lol. It's a game of hard counters.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

If he defends himself, he is no longer just spamming light attacks. To get the mystical 3500 DPS, he must do nothing but a light attack every 0.6 seconds. If he uses skills(which have a 1s GCD), their animation will interfere with the light attack spam, and his shieldbreaker DPS will fall considerably.

Yeah, dps drops to a shocking 2.2k..
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Which is a ~40% decrease, and will take almost 12 seconds to chew through a 25K hitpoint bar.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Which is a ~40% decrease, and will take almost 12 seconds to chew through a 25K hitpoint bar.

Which is a typical stam hp bar size, not a sorc' hp bar.
    Are you telling me that you are incapable of surviving in pvp for 12 seconds?
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Against a magsorc? On my medium armor stam toon? Curse-fury-runecage-frag, and i have other things to worry about than spamming you with light attacks.

Sure i can survive for 12 seconds. But not while maintaining 2150 shieldbreaker DPS (much less 3500 DPS).
    A magsorc is not the kind of opponent who gives you the luxury of uninterrupted 12 second light attack spam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEzSDS5yWqI&feature=youtu.be&t=6s

Edited by Sharee on July 30, 2018 6:01PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Against a magsorc? On my medium armor stam toon? Curse-fury-runecage-frag, and i have other things to worry about than spamming you with light attacks.

Sure i can survive for 12 seconds. But not while maintaining 2150 shieldbreaker DPS (much less 3500 DPS).
    A magsorc is not the kind of opponent who gives you the luxury of uninterrupted 12 second light attack spam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEzSDS5yWqI&feature=youtu.be&t=6s

Well, I'd say you just need to change your build to survive the current meta. There's a definite reason why my stam toons are carrying enough health/passive resists to survive it, and enough mag to use the tools they have to nullify half the burst..
    There are two things you need to be able to do this patch. Survive burst with cc(from any class) and survive sloads/bleeds pressure.
    I mean you could go full potato with shieldbreaker instead and screw over one entire class, but it only solves half of one of those problems.
    Still, at least it gets you the odd kill..

Anyways, shieldbreaker is still overpowered. Choosing a build that can't survive doesn't sonehow make it weak. Why the hell are you using medium shieldbreaker anyway? Tank it up, lose wpndmg, stam recovery - you need neither while spamming oblivion dmg...
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a set that's impossible to balance.

Being underpowered in 70% of encounters doesn't justify being grossly overpowered in 30% of encounters.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub