The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is shield breaker balanced?

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Gnozo wrote: »
    So from curse cast to the actual damage from it together with rune cage, meteor, frag and fury it takes about 6 seconds. Ofc when it goes off its only 1 sec of all incoming damage but you need to build it up first wich takes time. Time where you get hit by shieldbreaker for at least 6 seconds.

Sometimes i wonder whether the people i'm arguing with even play sorcs.

curse.jpg

And i've just hit my post limit for a single thread, so if someone wants to continue this discussion, send me a PM.

Have fun.
    Edited by Sharee on July 31, 2018 10:08AM
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Sharee wrote: »
    Gnozo wrote: »
    So from curse cast to the actual damage from it together with rune cage, meteor, frag and fury it takes about 6 seconds. Ofc when it goes off its only 1 sec of all incoming damage but you need to build it up first wich takes time. Time where you get hit by shieldbreaker for at least 6 seconds.

Sometimes i wonder whether the people i'm arguing with even play sorcs.

curse.jpg

And i've just hit my post limit for a single thread, so if someone wants to continue this discussion, send me a PM.

Have fun.

Oh ye you are right i was also wondering about 6 seconds. I just locked at the wrong Website cause i didnt remember the tooltip.

Still. 3.5 seconds to blow someone who is really squishy up. If you count meteor in it you cant spam this rotation cause it requires and ultimate.

So lets take a look at the normal shieldbreaker encounter. You hear the Sound of it, you search for him. Takes time if there are more enemies attacking you, lets say it takes 2 seconds (wich is indeed really short due to shieldbreaker not having a visual to show who is using it), then you choose what to do. Burst him or run? Let say you need another second to be aware of your Situation if you could kill him or Not. 3 seconds so far, current damage from SB user= 10,5k.

You choose to kill him. Light attack, curse, execute, meteor, rune cage, frag (If procced).

3.5 seconds if done perfectly. You need to Time 5 skills perfectly to burst him down, including an ultimate to get rid of sb guy. And hoping no healer is around to proc earthgore on him.

6.5 seconds are about 22k damage done to you while you have your main defense up. With just doing light attacks. Dropping shield is not an option cause no one get killed faster then a sorc without shields.

I dont think this is balanced tho. Still feel free to hop on pts and prove me wrong.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    kikkehs wrote: »
    Callen, for some reason I belive you too be a light attacking zergbad that is not will
    callen4492 wrote: »
    kikkehs wrote: »

You must be... No, cant say that one aloud on these forums.... But okey! block cost increased with every block, healing cost increased with every heal, cloak cost increased after every use, and increase the cost increase for dodge roll.
    Fair game, right?

You were going to say, “You must be very insightful and very good at this game.” It’s okay. You can compliment others on the forums...

Anyway, you assume that magsorcs are balanced as is. Therefore, you view any kind of nerf to magsorcs as “unfair”. Let me tell you though, ZoS doesn’t have some magic formula that tells them what is balanced and what isn’t. They’re making their best guess. At the current meta, the general consensus is that magsorcs defensive capabilities (shield stacking) and their long range, undodgeable, unblockable cc, makes them stronger than other classes. So is that fair for magsorcs to not receive a nerf if they are stronger than other classes? You shouldn’t have an advantage over other players in most situations just because of the class you chose. Likewise, if templars heals or a nightblades cloak, or a tank’s blocking or a medium armor user’s dodge roll was too strong of a defensive capability, they should receive a nerf. However, there is not much of a consensus that any of those defensive capabilities are overpowered. So magsorcs are probably going to have to eat a nerf soon. All will be well in the world. They will still be strong. In the meantime, let’s all laugh at ZoS for making such a silly set as shieldbreaker. Well, unless you’re on a magsorc.

A skilled any class combo beats a skilled sorc 100% of all fights. As only bad players lose too sorcs in 1v1, your argument is void.

@kikkehs

So far you have just stated your opinion, and slung some insults without giving any explanation for your opinions/assertions. For example, you said, only bad players lose to sorcs 1v1. That’s a pretty bold blanket statement. Is this just general knowledge that sorcs always lose to other players who are their equal in a 1v1. Really, no explanation? That’s why nobody will listen to you.

Also, I mostly play bg’s. I never zerg unless the campaign is going to end and I don’t have tier 1 rewards yet. And then it only takes about 30 mins of zerging. When I do play in cyrodiil for fun, it’s in a 2-man group.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No this set is garbage design (but so are damage shields). We need some kind of damage to be more universally available for countering shields, not these stupid cheese sets that are over the top and too situational.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It’s not balanced when added to meridia’s blessed.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    BohnT wrote: »

- the average DPS of a top duel build is ~3-4k damage with all skills

You make it sound like 3-4k DPS is the maximum achievable in this game. Tell that to the medium armor build whose 25K HP just got deleted in 1-2 seconds by a rune cage/meteor combo.

Even under the most ideal conditions(3500 DPS) it takes shieldbreaker over 7 seconds of continuous fire to remove all HP from a 25K bar(and thats if the attacker does nothing else except spam bow light attacks). By that time, any competent sorc would either have killed the 25K HP attacker(twice over, probably), or bolted to safety(its not hard to outrange a bow attacker who was likely at max bow range to begin with).

Comparing perfectly timed burst combo of 4-5 abilities with ultimate within which requires 1st to have that ultimate charged to brainless light attack spam requiring nothing. Classic Sharee completly ignoring brain cells requirements. You may not know but sorc combo with ultimate takes more then 2 seconds just long part of it is preparing delayed dmg. You need curse+endless fury+meteor+rune cage+crystal frag , so unless global cooldowns were cut in half 2 seconds for it is mathematicly impossible. There are things like oblivion dmg enchant and infused trait existing which emps up amount of dmg from brainless light attack spam.

Also You know since nightblades are the ones which most of the time are using shieldbreaker light attack spam they'll have upper hand of starting fight and it may take few seconds of free light attack spam into cloak before sorc will finally deal some significant dmg and up to this point sorc will be already so low on health that time needed for creating his burst combo will be longer then time left to death.

I am not saying here sorc burst combo is weak or unefficient or shieldbreaker is weak but it just amuses me how Sharee is always trying to blindly look at things.

Except i was not comparing them. The whole point (which flew so high over yours and others' head it is now entering low earth orbit) was:

Even under the most ideal conditions (3500 DPS, which is practically impossible due to LOS, dodges, out of range, etc.), the sorc has plenty of time to react to the light attack spam, either by killing the spammer(which a sorc can do in less time than it takes the spammer to kill the sorc), or getting himself the hell out of dodge.

The way some are whining about it, you'd think sorcerers start dying in droves as soon as a guy with a shieldbreaker bow appears in a 30 mile radius.

Well You're like always missing the main point of discussion which is competitve and fair gameplay without favouring brainless playstyles which many people wants but You dont. Also in your head You have vision that shieldbreaker spammer will post a message to that magsorc he want to attack that he's going to LA spam and he have shieldbreaker.

In reality what will happen is shieldbreaker LA spammer will start spamming light attacks from hide stunning opponent at opening which will cause atleast 3 light attack and 1 oblivion dmg enchant to proc which means before magsorc even start fight he is already around half of his health. So when fight starts it's 20+ k health for shieldbreaker spammer vs 10-15k health for magsorc so 3,5k DPS (adding oblivion dmg enchant it's possible with Sload it's even more) is pretty much enough to take magsorc down before he'll apply his full combo. From the moment magsorc breakes free to the moment his full dmg combo is exploding it'll take 6+ seconds since after break free he'll have to localize the enemy 1st apply defenses like ehaling ward etc and then start applying his combo which takes like 4 seconds atleast. Since fight barely started and sorc is already low on health he needs to choose either go in full defense mode which will cause no dmg to enemy while burning down resources or risk and try to nuke enemy but when it'll fail that will mean death. If sorc decide to go with the burst combo all what shieldbreaker user needs to do is poping immovability pot and block for a split of second to reduce sorc burst combo potential to the point it wont be even half of the dmg You suggested it can be. You can say "well then just blink away" but when blink have 15 meters and bow LA 36+ meters it's not that simple especially if shieldbreaker user can apply some slows. Blink is not sulution for everything.

Of course magsorc have chance to deal with that type of build under certain circumstances like weak experience of opponent , ready to use resto ult , dark deal slotted , tristat potion used in proper moment and basicly outplaying and outstarting the opponent. The problem is that magsorc needs to be much more experienced player then shieldbreaker spammer to even have a chance of winning this. Now if there will be 2 shieldbreaker users agaisnt 1 magsorc they can be really average players to take that 1 sorc down with ease just by mashing 1 button. If we'll compare amount of things magsorc needs to do to survive or even win this fight against pure light attack spam then it's quite obvious this fight is far from fair or competitive and skill is secondary variable.

Edited by Juhasow on July 31, 2018 4:39PM
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    BohnT wrote: »

- the average DPS of a top duel build is ~3-4k damage with all skills

You make it sound like 3-4k DPS is the maximum achievable in this game. Tell that to the medium armor build whose 25K HP just got deleted in 1-2 seconds by a rune cage/meteor combo.

Even under the most ideal conditions(3500 DPS) it takes shieldbreaker over 7 seconds of continuous fire to remove all HP from a 25K bar(and thats if the attacker does nothing else except spam bow light attacks). By that time, any competent sorc would either have killed the 25K HP attacker(twice over, probably), or bolted to safety(its not hard to outrange a bow attacker who was likely at max bow range to begin with).

Comparing perfectly timed burst combo of 4-5 abilities with ultimate within which requires 1st to have that ultimate charged to brainless light attack spam requiring nothing. Classic Sharee completly ignoring brain cells requirements. You may not know but sorc combo with ultimate takes more then 2 seconds just long part of it is preparing delayed dmg. You need curse+endless fury+meteor+rune cage+crystal frag , so unless global cooldowns were cut in half 2 seconds for it is mathematicly impossible. There are things like oblivion dmg enchant and infused trait existing which emps up amount of dmg from brainless light attack spam.

Also You know since nightblades are the ones which most of the time are using shieldbreaker light attack spam they'll have upper hand of starting fight and it may take few seconds of free light attack spam into cloak before sorc will finally deal some significant dmg and up to this point sorc will be already so low on health that time needed for creating his burst combo will be longer then time left to death.

I am not saying here sorc burst combo is weak or unefficient or shieldbreaker is weak but it just amuses me how Sharee is always trying to blindly look at things.

Except i was not comparing them. The whole point (which flew so high over yours and others' head it is now entering low earth orbit) was:

Even under the most ideal conditions (3500 DPS, which is practically impossible due to LOS, dodges, out of range, etc.), the sorc has plenty of time to react to the light attack spam, either by killing the spammer(which a sorc can do in less time than it takes the spammer to kill the sorc), or getting himself the hell out of dodge.

The way some are whining about it, you'd think sorcerers start dying in droves as soon as a guy with a shieldbreaker bow appears in a 30 mile radius.

Well You're like always missing the main point of discussion which is competitve and fair gameplay without favouring brainless playstyles which many people wants but You dont. Also in your head You have vision that shieldbreaker spammer will post a message to that magsorc he want to attack that he's going to LA spam and he have shieldbreaker.

In reality what will happen is shieldbreaker LA spammer will start spamming light attacks from hide stunning opponent at opening which will cause atleast 3 light attack and 1 oblivion dmg enchant to proc which means before magsorc even start fight he is already around half of his health. So when fight starts it's 20+ k health for shieldbreaker spammer vs 10-15k health for magsorc so 3,5k DPS (adding oblivion dmg enchant it's possible with Sload it's even more) is pretty much enough to take magsorc down before he'll apply his full combo. From the moment magsorc breakes free to the moment his full dmg combo is exploding it'll take 6+ seconds since after break free he'll have to localize the enemy 1st apply defenses like ehaling ward etc and then start applying his combo which takes like 4 seconds atleast. Since fight barely started and sorc is already low on health he needs to choose either go in full defense mode which will cause no dmg to enemy while burning down resources or risk and try to nuke enemy but when it'll fail that will mean death. If sorc decide to go with the burst combo all what shieldbreaker user needs to do is poping immovability pot and block for a split of second to reduce sorc burst combo potential to the point it wont be even half of the dmg You suggested it can be. You can say "well then just blink away" but when blink have 15 meters and bow LA 36+ meters it's not that simple especially if shieldbreaker user can apply some slows. Blink is not sulution for everything.

Of course magsorc have chance to deal with that type of build under certain circumstances like weak experience of opponent , ready to use resto ult , dark deal slotted , tristat potion used in proper moment and basicly outplaying and outstarting the opponent. The problem is that magsorc needs to be much more experienced player then shieldbreaker spammer to even have a chance of winning this. Now if there will be 2 shieldbreaker users agaisnt 1 magsorc they can be really average players to take that 1 sorc down with ease just by mashing 1 button. If we'll compare amount of things magsorc needs to do to survive or even win this fight against pure light attack spam then it's quite obvious this fight is far from fair or competitive and skill is secondary variable.

To actually understand everything you just wrote someone would have to be at least familiar with game mechanics. Unfortunately some people are just simply clueless.
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed several comments that were baiting. Please keep comments constructive and on topic for future posts.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post