Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do "Bloodmages" exist in Elder Scrolls?

• JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kierro wrote: »
    ESO is canon. Bethesda has confirmed in the past that ESO is canon.
    It is? I kept hearing it's still up to debate. If it is, that's cool, makes the RPer in me happy.

https://twitter.com/tesonline/status/372017971423498240

Add to that the fact that Bethesda owns ZOS.

I thought Zen owns Beth...

Er, yeah, I saw that in the other threads. My bad.
    Point is, the companies are related. But if you watch the video section that I mentioned, the Loremaster explains how the game lore works.
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
    "It's just not a home until you decorate the torture chamber, am I right?"
    "If you want to lose 10lbs of ugly fat, I'd be happy to chop your head off!"
    "Degenerates!" --- Todd Howard
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it,....unless you're ZO$ and are just doing it for the money!" --- Me
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Class reps are just like our politicians. They promise mountains made of gold for us, but in the end, whenever they can they try to push their own agenda.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

PC (just for PTS since Dragon Bones)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

Playing since console release in 2015

17 characters; mainly play PvE tanks and healer, as well as PvP stamDK, magplar, and stamblade; I also have a handful of DPS toons to have variety. All AD, with one, now PvE, DC toon.

I was on the forums before, but something happened with my account info and I had to create a new account.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to come back to this just to post more evidence.

Orsinium had a whole quest referencing blood magic. Now, Summerset has this:
    ykdili7agtis.jpg

This quest references blood magic as well, but I won't give any spoilers.

Skyrim is canon and ESO is canon. Bethesda has confirmed in the past that ESO is canon. notimetocare can't ignore that fact.

Blood magic, in one way or another, does exist in the Elder Scrolls universe. It just hasn't fully been explored in the games.

I figured I would share much better posts, https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/7gzl5h/does_blood_magic_exist/

Scroll down to sahqoviing32 for one of the most detailed.

Just about every instance that could be blood magic is basically listed in this thread. And note, that every instance would find itself categorized by mages in traditional schools of magic, not as blood magic. All that is done is accessing magicka, or in some cases the soul, to perform magic. The blood itself does not have a magical property so there is no logic in calling it blood magic.

Never denied events or the nature of Skyrim or ESO as canon, but magic is pretty well defined and classified in TES lore. The issue is 'do blood mages exist' to which the logical conclusion is 'no, there are mages that use magicka and souls'
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ykdili7agtis.jpg

Skyrim is canon and ESO is canon. Bethesda has confirmed in the past that ESO is canon. notimetocare can't ignore that fact.

Blood magic, in one way or another, does exist in the Elder Scrolls universe. It just hasn't fully been explored in the games.

I figured I would share much better posts, https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/7gzl5h/does_blood_magic_exist/

Scroll down
    It is? I kept hearing it's still up to debate. If it is, that's cool, makes the RPer in me happy.

Zenimax, the parent company, owns ZoS and Bethesda

Edit: Removed unnecessary portion
    Edited by notimetocare on June 12, 2018 2:30AM
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

h0mbgguij7ji.jpg

Bethesda Game Studios and Zenimax Online Studios are both published by Bethesda Softworks which is owned by Zenimax Media. The fact that there are several Bethesdas and several Zenimaxes makes it confusing, but we're just talking about multiple companies with the same name. There have been changes to the flowchart since 2012 but this relationship is the same as far as I'm aware. Off-topic but I figured this might be helpful. The key thing to note is that Bethesda Game Studios (which makes the main TES games) and Zenimax Online Studios (which makes Elder Scrolls Online) are basically independent game developers who, because of their sharing of the TES brand (owned by Bethesda Softworks) collaborate to make sure that everything in all TES games follows the same lore and logic, hence why everything in ESO is TES canon.
    [edited to remove quote]

Anyone can believe what they want, but blood magic does exist in the TES universe. Characters may or may not be aware of it, but as a fact, blood magic exists in the TES and ESO universe, albeit not in the same form as in the Dragon Age universe. I don't mean to beleaguer the argument, but opinions don't change facts.
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on June 12, 2018 1:29PM
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »

h0mbgguij7ji.jpg

Bethesda Game Studios and Zenimax Online Studios are both published by Bethesda Softworks which is owned by Zenimax Media. The fact that there are several Bethesdas and several Zenimaxes makes it confusing, but we're just talking about multiple companies with the same name. There have been changes to the flowchart since 2012 but this relationship is the same as far as I'm aware. Off-topic but I figured this might be helpful. The key thing to note is that Bethesda Game Studios (which makes the main TES games) and Zenimax Online Studios (which makes Elder Scrolls Online) are basically independent game developers who, because of their sharing of the TES brand (owned by Bethesda Softworks) collaborate to make sure that everything in all TES games follows the same lore and logic, hence why everything in ESO is TES canon.

ykdili7agtis.jpg

Make all the digs at me you like, they are irrelevant in debate on a topic. But I figured I would share much better posts, https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/7gzl5h/does_blood_magic_exist/

Scroll down

Zenimax, the parent company, owns ZoS and Bethesda

So you tell us our points aren't valid because we are using input from other players, (unfortunately, that post was removed by the moderator, so I can't quote it)
    Then you post a link to a website with input from other players?

You also seem to have not actually read the thread you are referring to as "proof blood magic doesn't exist".
    That thread just further fortifies it's existence.

Also, from the sahqohviing32 guy:
    "...bloodmagic has the potential to exist in Tamriel but I imagine it would be rather secretive, I think it would make a lot of people uncomfortable about blood manipulation and associated with necromancy, daedra and particularly vampires."
    The quest in Summerset I am referring to shows that it is secretive.

Did you even watch the video I posted? It starts at 1:04:00 and ends at 1:12:52.
    The Loremaster for ESO explains his collaboration with Bethesda and how they create lore-friendly content and references. He also says at the end that players are essentially people in the world of Tamriel and have their own beliefs and viewpoints on events that happened, just like the NPCs do.

I really don't want to argue this any further with you, because you haven't been pleasant to anyone in this thread.

If you want to believe blood magic doesn't exist in the Elder Scrolls universe, go right ahead.
    If you want to believe blood magic does exist in the Elder Scrolls, universe, go right ahead.

Anyone can believe what they want, but blood magic does exist in the TES universe. Characters may or may not be aware of it, but as a fact, blood magic exists in the TES and ESO universe, albeit not in the same form as in the Dragon Age universe. I don't mean to beleaguer the argument, but opinions don't change facts.

You aren't beleaguering the argument at all. I completely agree.
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it,....unless you're ZO$ and are just doing it for the money!" --- Me
    Class reps are just like our politicians. They promise mountains made of gold for us, but in the end, whenever they can they try to push their own agenda.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

--- JP_Dovahkriid

17 characters; mainly play PvE tanks and healer, as well as PvP stamDK, magplar, and stamblade; I also have a handful of DPS toons to have variety. All AD, with one, now PvE, DC toon.

I was on the forums before, but something happened with my account info and I had to create a new account.
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    And thanks to everyone who/will gave/give answers.
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed several comments that were baiting and off topic. Please keep the conversation on topic so the thread does not derail. In the case that you come across a comment that you feel may be in violation of the forum rules, we request that you flag it for a moderator to review instead of engaging with that individual. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Shove off, ZOS. My removed comment was actually relevant. But thanks for your efforts.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

--- JP_Dovahkriid

• gnarlyvandal
    gnarlyvandal
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is an old thread, but my 2 cents:
    I like to consider my healblade as a sort of blood mage. Funnel health to take the life of an enemy and give it to an ally and myself as well as the Nightblade healing skill (2nd slot in skill line, can’t remember the name) taking my own health to heal an ally. Seems pretty blood magic-y to me
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is an old thread, but my 2 cents:
    I like to consider my healblade as a sort of blood mage. Funnel health to take the life of an enemy and give it to an ally and myself as well as the Nightblade healing skill (2nd slot in skill line, can’t remember the name) taking my own health to heal an ally. Seems pretty blood magic-y to me

Thanks for commenting.
  • JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a quest in ESO's base game, in addition to the one from Orsinium and the one in Summerset:

The Serpent Lord: Rebind a great sea serpent released by the Maormer.
    Priestess Sendel is a Bosmer member of the Woodhearth guard tasked with stopping Eilgun the Serpent Lord from summoning a powerful sea serpent bound in the Serpent's Grotto.
    You initially find her leading a group of Woodhearth Scouts and Woodhearth Protectors not very deep within Serpent's Grotto. She's studying a Maormer text on blood magic which, luckily, had a blood rune with it. Although only a casual dabbler in the study of blood magic, she's quickly able to figure out what's required and asks you to fill the blood rune and repair three seals that kept the sea serpent secure.
    Once that's been achieved, Sendel is found at the end of the cave system trying to disable a Maormer magical barrier, which she manages to do. After explaining to you that she's not entirely sure if she's able to utilize the magic, she tells you she isn't very combat-orientated and requires you to defeat Eilgun the Serpent Lord while she tries to channel the wild magic.
    As soon as Eilgun the Serpent Lord has been defeated and the sea serpent rebound, she chooses to remain at the Binding Pool longer.

Dialogue:
    Is there any way to repair the seals?
    "I don't know! All I've been able to decipher is the seals were created with blood magic. If you kill the Maormer and infuse this blood rune with life energy, you might be able to repair the seals, but there's more to it. I-I need to keep reading."
    You read. I'll take the blood rune and repair the seals.
    Can you tell me anything more about the seals?
    "The seals are actually small pools of water. Elain, Ralos, and Valir - they're named after those who sacrificed their lives to bind the serpent. That's all I know."

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Priestess_Sendel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

--- JP_Dovahkriid

• Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a quest in ESO's base game, in addition to the one from Orsinium and the one in Summerset:

The Serpent Lord: Rebind a great sea serpent released by the Maormer.
    Priestess Sendel is a Bosmer member of the Woodhearth guard tasked with stopping Eilgun the Serpent Lord from summoning a powerful sea serpent bound in the Serpent's Grotto.
    You initially find her leading a group of Woodhearth Scouts and Woodhearth Protectors not very deep within Serpent's Grotto. She's studying a Maormer text on blood magic which, luckily, had a blood rune with it. Although only a casual dabbler in the study of blood magic, she's quickly able to figure out what's required and asks you to fill the blood rune and repair three seals that kept the sea serpent secure.
    Once that's been achieved, Sendel is found at the end of the cave system trying to disable a Maormer magical barrier, which she manages to do. After explaining to you that she's not entirely sure if she's able to utilize the magic, she tells you she isn't very combat-orientated and requires you to defeat Eilgun the Serpent Lord while she tries to channel the wild magic.
    As soon as Eilgun the Serpent Lord has been defeated and the sea serpent rebound, she chooses to remain at the Binding Pool longer.

Dialogue:
    Is there any way to repair the seals?
    "I don't know! All I've been able to decipher is the seals were created with blood magic. If you kill the Maormer and infuse this blood rune with life energy, you might be able to repair the seals, but there's more to it. I-I need to keep reading."
    You read. I'll take the blood rune and repair the seals.
    Can you tell me anything more about the seals?
    "The seals are actually small pools of water. Elain, Ralos, and Valir - they're named after those who sacrificed their lives to bind the serpent. That's all I know."

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Priestess_Sendel

Thankyou!
  • JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Kierro
    You're welcome!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

--- JP_Dovahkriid

• Grandesdar
    Grandesdar
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I love DA series, I think without having "Fade" in this universe, blood magic is not the same as the one in Thedas. The danger of using blood comes from the Fade not the ethics of using blood or anything, thus it is forbidden and looked down between all the people except for apostles and witches.
    Edited by Grandesdar on June 21, 2018 6:54PM
    Main: The Charismatic StamDK DD
    Side: A Handsome Warden Healer
    Side: (upcoming) Stam Necro DD
    CP: 680
    EU PSN: Style3513
  • LapisLazuli99
    LapisLazuli99
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the more primitive nature worshipers would likely be considered blood magic? Old school Kyne or Hircine rituals require blood, Hearts and sacrifices etc. So many of the Reachmen, Hags and Wyrd Witches right?
    Xbox One - NA
    GT - Lapis Lazuli 99

AD - Orc Dragonknight
    AD - Breton Sorcerer
    AD - High Elf Nightblade
    AD - High Elf Templar
    AD - Wood Elf Warden
    AD - Khajiit Necromancer
    AD - High Elf Arcanist
  • Arkangeloski
    Arkangeloski
    ✭✭✭✭
    Equilibrium mages guild skill maybe?
  • rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know in many fantasies, they have a mage called a bloodmage. Take the Dragon Age series for example. I know it hasn't been touched much since Vampire Lords in Skyrim, but it could be said their "Health Drain" spell could be blood magic. However, could anyone learn blood magic (from a lore standpoint not just game)? I also ask, because I'm a RPer, and wanted to call my NB mage a bloodmage. Because the siphon spell looks very similar to the Vampire Lords health drain, as well bloodmage spells seen in Dragon Age.

I'm pretty sure they call those Necromancers. They deal with blood magic not only with the dead.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Equilibrium mages guild skill maybe?

Restoration. Instead of the vitality of another, its using your own. Technically, it is more likely to be restoring magicka from the soul