Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

40k on a test dummy?

Shantu
Shantu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
God I'm sick of hearing game demi-gods claiming this is easy. I can trash mobs at 40-60k, kick dolmens and public dungeons solo, do some Craglorn group content solo (yeah, yeah, I know some of you can do this blindfolded), so I've got a few skills, but put be in front of a 3 ml test dummy and I can stand there buffing, de-buffing, laying down DoT's, and blasting with everything I've got while maintaining my resources and can still only manage about 10-12k at most. After 1700+ hours and a couple of DPS toons at 700+ CP, gold gear and staff, decent rotation skills, animation canceling (though I'm not really great at it) and I still comparably suck. Put me a vet dungeon where I'm running around trying to stay alive and my suckage meter goes up even further. As a result, I don't even try vet and any HM content as I'm tired of guys getting pissed and kicking me. Honestly, I'm doing the very best I can, but apparently there's something I'm missing? I have no clue how anyone can get even 20k out of a test dummy let alone maintain that level in a dungeon and/or trial. Am I forever doomed to an ESO life of suckage? :(
  • jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're actually interested in raising your dps... the best thing to do is find a build online and slowly work on your rotation.
    Just getting a couple decent sets of gear can help with some passive damage but the rotation is most important.

Finding a friendly guild is a great way to get things started too. (if you're not interested in copying a build from anyone online)

Don't get discouraged or take any elitist jerk comments to heart.
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, practicing your rotation is probably the best way to increase your dps. Once you have a solid rotation down (and by solid I mean calculated and optimized, not spamming random skills), gear and cp can be played around with to squeeze out that bit of extra dps.

Mastering animation canceling helps so much more than you would think.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What class are you playing
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need a heavy dose of epeen enhancement to keep up with all the (fake) dummy DPS number bragging!
    Or stick to playing the game and having fun.

While 10k-12k is a bit on the low side it will get you through most content, including group content, just fine.

I'm really good at ignoring people which helps tremendously, maybe you should practice that as well as your rotation ...
    biggrin.gif
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I advise reading this.

https://missbizzplays.com/mapplinators-guide-to-gitting-gud-at-dps/

And I'm absolutely certain you're not light attack weaving properly.
    Fix that.
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    God I'm sick of hearing game demi-gods claiming this is easy. I can trash mobs at 40-60k, kick dolmens and public dungeons solo, do some Craglorn group content solo (yeah, yeah, I know some of you can do this blindfolded), so I've got a few skills, but put be in front of a 3 ml test dummy and I can stand there buffing, de-buffing, laying down DoT's, and blasting with everything I've got while maintaining my resources and can still only manage about 10-12k at most. After 1700+ hours and a couple of DPS toons at 700+ CP, gold gear and staff, decent rotation skills, animation canceling (though I'm not really great at it) and I still comparably suck. Put me a vet dungeon where I'm running around trying to stay alive and my suckage meter goes up even further. As a result, I don't even try vet and any HM content as I'm tired of guys getting pissed and kicking me. Honestly, I'm doing the very best I can, but apparently there's something I'm missing? I have no clue how anyone can get even 20k out of a test dummy let alone maintain that level in a dungeon and/or trial. Am I forever doomed to an ESO life of suckage? :(

Ya im not sure how these guys claim 40k dps solo on a dummy. Someone show me a video of that. I feel like a have a decent handle on this game, meta gear, read just about the entire web on how to DPS on that stupid dummy. I can't get over 22k and I'm AC and weaving on my sorc. I could maybe squeak out another 2-3k dps if I was perfect in my rotation but getting over 30k doesn't seem possible. I was in the 10-12 range a few weeks ago, only ever PVP'ed in this game, but changing my skills to damage over time skills on top of direct damage made the difference to get to 20k.The trick is to have 2-3 damage over time skills always on the dummy then direct damage. Also make sure you have around 50% crit. Alcast site is a good starting point for PVE builds, at least it was for me.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bardx86 wrote: »

Ya im not sure how these guys claim 40k dps solo on a dummy. Someone show me a video of that. I feel like a have a decent handle on this game, meta gear, read just about the entire web on how to DPS on that stupid dummy. I can't get over 22k and I'm AC and weaving on my sorc. I could maybe squeak out another 2-3k dps if I was perfect in my rotation but getting over 30k doesn't seem possible. I was in the 10-12 range a few weeks ago, only ever PVP'ed in this game, but changing my skills to damage over time skills on top of direct damage made the difference to get to 20k.The trick is to have 2-3 damage over time skills always on the dummy then direct damage. Also make sure you have around 50% crit. Alcast site is a good starting point for PVE builds, at least it was for me.

lol, how many videos and parses have been posting showing 40k+ on a 3mil skelly?
    Do you think it is all some conspiracy to make you feel bad or something?
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm a scrub on a sorc. Here's 40k with a ridiculously simple heavy attack rotation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPMzWQhefaQ
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only manage about 20-25k average on the dummy with my stamsorc, but I'm still missing a few key skills that could possibly bump that up another 3-5k. If say you should be getting at least 15-20k on any halfway decent build with a monster set and purple gear. If you're at only 10-12, you're losing too much time doing things that don't need to be done. Buffing and debuffing often takes more time than its worth in pure dps tests.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

I'm a scrub on a sorc. Here's 40k with a ridiculously simple heavy attack rotation:

Would you mind giving me your gear setup? Thats pretty impressive. I haven't tried dual pet yet maybe thats the difference?

• Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a 30k parse on a sorc.

Rotation >> liquid lightning, light attack, elemental blockade, heavy attack, heavy attack

that's literally it.

He also sapmmed mages wrath on the execute.

unknown.png

here is a link to the "build"
    https://reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/7ahk2o/telvannis_two_button_30k_dps_magsorc_nopet/
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »

Rotation >> liquid lightning, light attack, elemental blockade, heavy attack, heavy attack

that's literally it.

unknown.png

https://reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/7ahk2o/telvannis_two_button_30k_dps_magsorc_nopet/

Well ya he does have better drop gear IA and staff. Is there something to the off balance? I see these both builds are heavy attacking a lot.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Would you mind giving me your gear setup? Thats pretty impressive. I haven't tried dual pet yet maybe thats the difference?

You can do about the same with Bound Aegis instead of the second pet. I just like the pets.

The gear setup is listed in the video description but it is:

5 x Mechanical Acuity (4 x body, 1 x Infused lightning front bar w/shock enchant)
    5 x Necropotence (3 x jewelry, 2 x body)
    1 x Maelstrom Lightning back bar (Infused w/weapon damage enchant)
    1 x Molag Kena

5 light, 1 medium (Kena helmet), 1 heavy (Mechanical Acuity chest), all Divines, all max magicka glyphs on armor, all spell damage glyphs on jewelry, Apprentice mundus.

I've tested the same rotation with multiple combinations of sets (the above as well as Julianos and Netch's Touch), and they're all about the same. Had the best results with Mechanical Acuity by a small margin.

Rotation is:

LA Liquid Lightning, LA Blockade, swap
    LA Daedric Prey, HA Shock Clench, HA Pet Pulse, swap

Repeat until execute. In execute, get all DoTs on the target and then spam LA-->Mage's Wrath.

There are surely more optimal ways to run a sorc, from gear to rotation to mundus, but I've had good luck with this setup.

Also, keep in mind that as of Dragon Bones and the off-balance nerf the same build I'm using here might have slightly lower DPS.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »

that's literally it.

unknown.png

Well ya he does have better drop gear IA and staff. Is there something to the off balance? I see these both builds are heavy attacking a lot.

That's why sorc builds are so easy.
    Drop your 2 main dots and heavy attack and you're pretty much solid.
  • lefler90
    lefler90

https://youtu.be/rgAJclFQqZM

Has nothing to do with pets.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things that make a big difference for players.

I get 22k on my non pet sorc build.

The limitations of my gear are:
    No trial gear
    I have 2 purple jewelry pieces and 1 blue
    My CP is probably good ish at best
    My rotation is probably decent at best
    Only 1 weapon is gold, back bar is purple

Now I figure if I had all the right quality gear, a better rotation and gold weapons with tweaked CP that very same build will pull in somewhere around 27k dps

Then let's say I add a vMA staff back bar (or something) I'll bet that's gonna add a couple more dps.

Suddenly my 22k is 30k

Take that 30k and add tweaks to trial gear and/or group support like war horn etc, boom looking like those very crazy stats we see on the forums
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get your hopes too high.
    In this game, regardless of gear and CP, you get:

- sub 20k DPS people
    - sub 30k DPS people
    - 40k and above people.

Going from one step to the next is simple to some - even with bad gear - and impossible to the most. Gear, weaving etc. help, but that accounts for 3-4k, not 10-15k.

It's totally possible and witnessed to see people with identical build and gear (and high CPs), using the same rotation and still some stay below 20k DPS even with trial gear and vMA staff.
    Most hang at about 25-27k. and NEVER go above that (solo parse).
    Then there's a sort of "magic hole" and the next you meet, are the 37k-42k people. Even if they spend a month explaining how they do that, you won't be able to replicate their performance and that's it.
    Edited by Vahrokh on February 16, 2018 2:59AM
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »

- sub 20k DPS people
    - sub 30k DPS people
    - 40k and above people.

Going from one step to the next is simple to some - even with bad gear - and impossible to the most. Gear, weaving etc. help, but that accounts for 3-4k, not 10-15k.

It's totally possible and witnessed to see people with identical build and gear (and high CPs), using the same rotation and still some stay below 20k DPS even with trial gear and vMA staff.
    Then there's a sort of "magic hole" and the next you meet, are the 37k-42k people. Even if they spend a month explaining how they do that, you won't be able to replicate their performance and that's it.

Oy.

OP, do not listen to this fatalist nonsense.

Those categories are better stated as:

- people who don't practice at all
    - people who practice a little bit
    - people who practice a lot

And the right gear (and glyphs and potions and poisons and CP) along with weaving will easily make a 5-10k difference for some people.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- sub 20k DPS people
    - sub 30k DPS people
    - 40k and above people.

Oy.

OP, do not listen to this fatalist nonsense.

Those categories are better stated as:

- people who don't practice at all
    - people who practice a little bit
    - people who practice a lot

And the right gear (and glyphs and potions and poisons and CP) along with weaving will easily make a 5-10k difference for some people.

this guy's got it. practice practice practice. drop 300k gold on pots and parse for hours.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • XiDiabolismiX
    XiDiabolismiX
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people get hung up on animation cancelling...

The hard truth about it is that it doesn't give the edge that it use to since there are internal cooldown son all of your skills. It's better to let the animation go through and practice weaving. You don't have to be a button smashing monster.

Next step is to figure out a rotation to maximize your damage output. A lot of rotations are the same exact outline, no matter what character you're playing, ie:
    Lay down your ground aoe's on your back bar in order from longest duration to shortest duration while light attacking in between, then swap to your front bar and use class specific or weapon specific skills/dots while light attacking between each one.

Once you get proficient at weaving light/heavy attacks between skills, you can start speeding up your rotation and getting better.

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in that magic hole right now, and I just find it inconceivable how people reach 40k+ dps with the same rotation and gear I do ~32k with. Where is that extra 30% dps coming from!?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I mentioned my stamsorc is doing 25k while missing some key skills and items.

I tested my magdk tonight before I respecced her to a tank just to see how the build stood up since the morrowind nerfs: best I could manage was 20k, and most parses were 18k average. All the more reason to go tank.

I also turned my nightblade tank into a magblade healer tonight, and he was able to parse 16-18k using spellpower cure and bahraha's curse while missing a monster 1pc bonus (was using 6 bahraha's and 5 spc, trying to get another spc piece so I can free up my head or shoulders slot). So my healer, who can pull the same rotation while keeping a while group alive, did similar damage to my magdk who was 100% focused on damage. That's how bad its getting for dk now.

PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Can you guys please, please stop showing this guy 3 million dummy burst parses? This is really annoying me, you can't tell someone who is has yet to get into rotations and endgame dps burst parses that completely drain their magicka within 80 seconds.

What he needs is longer videos with sustainable rotations that you can actually fully sustain.

For newer players in trials the magicka drain is usually a lot higher than for experienced players on magicka builds because they tend to shield themselves a lot more. So what they need is a decent buildt that makes it easy to adapt to mechanics, basically an endgame starter build. pet sorcs qualify for that the best because they have a lot of passive damage and can simply heavy attack as a spammable skill..

The rotation that @Liquidpony showed above is probably the best advice in here.

Here's what I do when I want to get a toon trial ready:

1. Conceptualise a build. Look at the duration of damage over time effects, ground aoes and think of the best way to align them.
    2. Fill the gaps with either a spammable skill or heavy attacks.
    3. Stand in front of a centurion dummy and kill it. Only way to see whether what you do is sustainable within a trial and 20 minutes of the same rotation will nail it into your head...
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • WatchYourSixx
    WatchYourSixx
    ✭✭✭✭
    One mistake I see a lot of people do is not use weapon power pots or spell power pots. For example, my Stam NB pulls 42k dps consistently on a 3 mil Target dummy. If I use just essence of stamina instead, my dps drops to 35-36k. That's a huge amount of DPS lost just bc of the pots I use. But I also have no source of major brutality or savagery. Potions, though added up are expensive, they will give you the most dps.
    The only thing to fear is, fear itself. - FDR

CP 800
    PC NA

- Maximus the Marksman (AD) Temp
    - Rex the Unstoppable Force (DC) DK
    - Sodor Dragonfire (DC) DK
    - Masha'Dar Shadow-Paw (DC) NB
    - Magnus the Mage (DC) Sorc
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    So I mentioned my stamsorc is doing 25k while missing some key skills and items.

I tested my magdk tonight before I respecced her to a tank just to see how the build stood up since the morrowind nerfs: best I could manage was 20k, and most parses were 18k average. All the more reason to go tank.

I also turned my nightblade tank into a magblade healer tonight, and he was able to parse 16-18k using spellpower cure and bahraha's curse while missing a monster 1pc bonus (was using 6 bahraha's and 5 spc, trying to get another spc piece so I can free up my head or shoulders slot). So my healer, who can pull the same rotation while keeping a while group alive, did similar damage to my magdk who was 100% focused on damage. That's how bad its getting for dk now.

MagDK dps is a very bad comparison. It is well-known they are underwhelming and very reliant on help from the group.
    DK still makes the best tank, so...

Magblade healers is also suboptimal. Good healers don't just heal, they ENHANCE. You can't beat Templar's shards for sustain help. And BoL stands for itself.
    Bahraha's Curse and a parse already show you're approaching this from the wrong direction. DPS on a healer is not that important. Support counts. Something like Worm Cult or Mending, Eyes of Mara or even Ebon Armory to free your tank are much more valuable. Spellpower Cure is BiS, though.
  • ValkynSketha
    ValkynSketha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -Gold weapons.
    -Gold enchants specially jewls.
    -Gear sets.
    -Using crafted spell/weapon power pots.
    -Practising skill rotation on 3mill dummy to obtain the legendary powers of muscle memory.
    -Practising even further on 6mil dummy to obtain ascended muscle memory or just call it muscle memory 2
    -And then practise even further beyond on 6mil or higher to obtain the legendary power of sustain an ascended past ascended musle memory.
    Edited by ValkynSketha on February 16, 2018 11:00AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I recently returned and had to update my rotation and build so I know what you're going through. I was struggling to get good dps but now I can solo parse 32k consistently. Magicka pet sorcs have a relatively easy rotation, good sustain, good AoE dmg and great survivablity so I would recommend this class to begin with.

Consumables
    Use spell power pots, not cheap but serious dps increase
    Witchmothers potent brew (use one health glyph on your chest/head/legs)

Mundus
    Lover for solo/pug
    Apprentice for trails/good group

Gear
    Most guides show gold trail jewelry, vMA weapons or perfected vAS weapon which is unobtainable for many players. You mentioned you dont run vet dungeons so I will suggest a setup with only one monster piece.

5x Necropotence (3x jewelry, 2x body)
    5x Julianos (4x body and 2x lightning staves)
    1x Domihaus (1x shoulder) one that give max magikca or spell dmg is also fine

Skills
    Front bar: infused fire staff (shock enchant)
    1) cfrags
    2) force pulse
    3) daedric prey
    4) volatile familiar
    5) bound aegis/inner light
    U) Greater Storm Atronach

Front bar: nirnhoned lightning staff (weapon/spell dmg enchant)
    1) liquid lightning
    2) elemental wall
    3) volatile familiar
    4) hardened ward (use elemental drain for parse)
    5) bound aegis/inner light
    U) Elemental Rage

Rotation

spell power pot > ele drain > Storm Atro (Elemental Rage for AoE)

LA > liquid > LA > wall > LA > pet > barswap
    LA > curse > LA > FP > HA > barswap

Cast cfrags if it procs, priority over other front bar skills
    If you get two cfrags procs on your front bar skip the HA

If you run low on resources use HA instead of FP in the rotation
    If you need to shield in the rotation skip FP/HA depending on your resources

Use LA>ele drain after pet when it runs out
    Use Storm Atro/spell power pots on cooldown

Practice
    Buy a stack of spell power pots and practice on a 3m dummy to get familiar with the rotation. You want to get to a point that you can talk to someone without messing up the rotation because in real fights you'll need to pay attention on the boss mechanics. It will take some time to get a full 3m parse without mistakes but you'll get there eventually. Once you get the rotation down focus on weaving light attacks and bar swap cancel skills, you can find plenty in-depth videos explaining these mechanics.

Combat Metrics is a good way to analyze what each skill did during the parse. On skills like Liquid and Wall you want 100% up time. Curse and Pet Pulse should NOT have 100% up time because it means you missed the (last) dmg tick.

Srenndar/Action Duration Timer are useful addons to track the skill durations.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can hit 20k you will be fine for most vet hm dungeons. Don't listen to these people that talk like 40k is easy. That's all bis golden gear with alot of practice on the rotation and probably some vma and master weapons along with trial farmed gear. Most normal people are not going to hit that number. Just shoot for 20k
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel you. Can't go past 33k on bearless magward.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ugh why is everyone talking about 3mil dummies? Burst fight where you don't need to even care about your resources and the whole parse depends on the crit chance luck. 6mil dummies are the real thing.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade