Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MAGBLADE pvp theorycrafting

• Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Does anyone play a heavy attack magblade? I love just messing around with builds, I get bored sometimes running my normal shackle/skoria/necro combo and like to mess around. I have been running an ice build when I get bored lately but ice decided it's a group build. Now I'm wanting to see how a heavy attack build works. I'm thinking of running like elegant/knightslayer/kena, also other sets I have in mind are stygian, shield breaker, torugs. Anyone try out a heavy attack build?

Used to be a thing where you could proc Alchemist > empower > HA out of stealth.

Sadly it is kill.
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    Just scrolling through and thought of throw in my opinions, I only play mag nb so I hope it helps (they are just opinions, run whatever you like I'm just saying what I personally think)

Spinners is a waste, go warmaiden

Wizards reposte is a waste, you get the same thing from fear and shade (I saw the "what if you've got 5 people on you?" Argument and let's face it, you're dead either way.)

All you need is necropotence, willpower and a monster set

Dual wield does work but it's only alright for duels

Shacklebreaker is also really good

Whatever you're doing you need between 1.8-2.2k regen

Stacking into max mag is your best bet as it's super easy on a NB

Amber plasm > lich

Spell damage doesn't matter just get high max mag

Skoria or infernal for monster set

If you go destro get the masters inferno staff

Light armour all the way, heavy armour nb's had their time but it's gone now

If you want to go one piece undaunted sets just stack max mag again

The new gold clockwork city food or witchmothers brew for food/drink

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

Soul tether or soul harvest for ult front bar & resto ult back

Spam cripple to control people

Questions? I have various build vids on my channel and lots of vids showcasing them in various situations.

I play on ps4 EU so my answers are tailored for the players on that system, feel free to ask questions :)

v - one of my vids.

https://youtu.be/PBTT7-yQAUM
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abstraqt wrote: »
    Just scrolling through and thought of throw in my opinions, I only play mag nb so I hope it helps (they are just opinions, run whatever you like I'm just saying what I personally think)

Wizards reposte is a waste, you get the same thing from fear and shade (I saw the "what if you've got 5 people on you?" Argument and let's face it, you're dead either way.)

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

Questions? I have various build vids on my channel and lots of vids showcasing them in various situations.

I play on ps4 EU so my answers are tailored for the players on that system, feel free to ask questions :)

v - one of my vids.

You sir are the first magblade on forums that i can respect now. Everything you said I agree with, the max mag stacking over spell damage, the use of wizards riposte on magblades is idiotic, don’t use heavy armour over light, and especially spam cripple. You won’t believe the amount of ignorant magblades I see doing the exact opposite trying to say heavy is good and you don’t need harness on magblade and etc..
  • rteezy
    rteezy
    ✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

Subscribed!

Op, and new player(almsot 2 months into eso! :D)

Few questions:

Ever tried maidens/lich(or amber) with skorya? thats what im running atm, i tried shkakle/spinners/domihause 1pc and shakle/maiden/skorya and for some reason jsut didnt love it

Do you find it necessary to run both absorb shields? i ahve seen alot of magblades doing it with jsut ward (not me, cp450 and newbeness make me take too much damage)

Have you tried heavy armor builds lately? im asking because kodi said he woudl only go heavy armor (since magblade in cloth is jsut too squishy) AND kenapkk also runs heavy armor open world as far as i got told.
    Aparently with how strong defile is and hwo well it synergises with magblade healing goign heavy duroks/ with a damage set and a 2 piece defensive mosnter seems really strong (im trying it this weekend to see how it feels)

Edited by rteezy on January 18, 2018 9:53PM
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

@Abstraqt

Good insight! Just a few points I wanted to bring up.

1. Heavy armor magblade is quite strong still, ESPECIALLY in duels. You should give it a try ;)

2. "All you need is necro wp and a monster set" I'd love to see you manage stam on that. Not saying it isn't a strong duel setup, but open world, 0 stam regen tools and light will get you killed very fast. Necro willpower is absolutely not an open world setup.

3. Soul harvest is outclassed by incap even on magblade, and that's it. Nothing more on that. It does about the same damage AND it has a stun. Incap is the better choice EVEN if you run war maiden.

4. Infernal is a mediocre monster set no matter the setup. It's time has simply passed. What you should've said is "skoria or shadowrend or troll king".

5. I disagree on amber > lich. Lich can be one barred, amber can not. Amber gives stam sustain but lich gives like 3 times the mag sustain. You can't compare apples to oranges.

6. Wizard riposte is not a waste, it's a god set for open world. First of all, shade is single target. Secondly, fear's uptime on maim is negligible at best. Thirdly, having 5 people on you doesn't mean you're dead. It really depends on their skill, 2 experienced players alone can kill you np while 10 scrubs could be an easy target for you.

I'm sure that what you said works for you, all I'm saying is that you should probably be a little more open minded about different play styles and ideas when you come in a THEORYCRAFTING thread. This thread is meant for brainstorming and tips, not for "do this and nothing else because I said so".

Ps. Shackle willpower monster set > necro willpower monster set ;)
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    rteezy wrote: »

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

Subscribed!

Few questions:

Ever tried maidens/lich(or amber) with skorya? thats what im running atm, i tried shkakle/spinners/domihause 1pc and shakle/maiden/skorya and for some reason jsut didnt love it

Do you find it necessary to run both absorb shields? i ahve seen alot of magblades doing it with jsut ward (not me, cp450 and newbeness make me take too much damage)

Have you tried heavy armor builds lately? im asking because kodi said he woudl only go heavy armor (since magblade in cloth is jsut too squishy) AND kenapkk also runs heavy armor open world as far as i got told.
    Aparently with how strong defile is and hwo well it synergises with magblade healing goign heavy duroks/ with a damage set and a 2 piece defensive mosnter seems really strong (im trying it this weekend to see how it feels)

Yeah I've tried that combo, only on dual wield and I loved it, one of my favourite builds, I prefer necro/warmaiden/skoria though :)

Yup, always run 2 shields, the people who run one will die.

Tbf I haven't but I've gone against people who have been wearing it and I've always won, if you find a build with heavy armour then fair enough
  • rteezy
    rteezy
    ✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

Subscribed!

Few questions:

Yeah I've tried that combo, only on dual wield and I loved it, one of my favourite builds, I prefer necro/warmaiden/skoria though :)

Tbf I haven't but I've gone against people who have been wearing it and I've always won, if you find a build with heavy armour then fair enough

cheers m8!, ar eyou NA? if so whats your Tagg, jsut in case i need some pointers :dizzy:

btw, stop slaking make more youtube vids!
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

Alot of good points here

I was only a fan of spinners if you're heavy build where I kinda feel its necessary. That is if you cdon't compensate for it with alot of cp. But tbh I'm not that happy with warmaiden either. Idk why the dps is higher on paper but it just doesn't seem worth it.

I can't say I have ever run infernal guardian but it just seems out of place in cyro where you're gonna be using cloak. Duels it makes sense because we shield stack. Might give it a try to have better opinion.

And as far as duel wield goes, and can probably throw 2h in there to just say meele magblade. It's more viable in cyro than duels imo. The movement speed with concealed is what makes it more effective. Now yeah you can slot concealed on destro, but who does that?

And yeah shackle ftw. I have fallen in love with running 5 shackle 4 necro 2 skoria in duels. Are there better bis setups? Not for my broke no grinding ass.
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

Subscribed!

Few questions:

cheers m8!, ar eyou NA? if so whats your Tagg, jsut in case i need some pointers :dizzy:

btw, stop slaking make more youtube vids!

I'm EU I'm afraid, my psn is just Abstraqt
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

Alot of good points here

I was only a fan of spinners if you're heavy build where I kinda feel its necessary. That is if you cdon't compensate for it with alot of cp. But tbh I'm not that happy with warmaiden either. Idk why the dps is higher on paper but it just doesn't seem worth it.

I can't say I have ever run infernal guardian but it just seems out of place in cyro where you're gonna be using cloak. Duels it makes sense because we shield stack. Might give it a try to have better opinion.

And as far as duel wield goes, and can probably throw 2h in there to just say meele magblade. It's more viable in cyro than duels imo. The movement speed with concealed is what makes it more effective. Now yeah you can slot concealed on destro, but who does that?

And yeah shackle ftw. I have fallen in love with running 5 shackle 4 necro 2 skoria in duels. Are there better bis setups? Not for my broke no grinding ass.

For dueling 5 shackle 3 willpower 2 skoria is good, so is 5 necro 3 willpower 2 skoria

I'm just currently using infernal because I've used skoria a lot recently so wanted a change
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

@Abstraqt

Good insight! Just a few points I wanted to bring up.

1. Heavy armor magblade is quite strong still, ESPECIALLY in duels. You should give it a try ;)

2. "All you need is necro wp and a monster set" I'd love to see you manage stam on that. Not saying it isn't a strong duel setup, but open world, 0 stam regen tools and light will get you killed very fast. Necro willpower is absolutely not an open world setup.

3. Soul harvest is outclassed by incap even on magblade, and that's it. Nothing more on that. It does about the same damage AND it has a stun. Incap is the better choice EVEN if you run war maiden.

4. Infernal is a mediocre monster set no matter the setup. It's time has simply passed. What you should've said is "skoria or shadowrend or troll king".

5. I disagree on amber > lich. Lich can be one barred, amber can not. Amber gives stam sustain but lich gives like 3 times the mag sustain. You can't compare apples to oranges.

6. Wizard riposte is not a waste, it's a god set for open world. First of all, shade is single target. Secondly, fear's uptime on maim is negligible at best. Thirdly, having 5 people on you doesn't mean you're dead. It really depends on their skill, 2 experienced players alone can kill you np while 10 scrubs could be an easy target for you.

I'm sure that what you said works for you, all I'm saying is that you should probably be a little more open minded about different play styles and ideas when you come in a THEORYCRAFTING thread. This thread is meant for brainstorming and tips, not for "do this and nothing else because I said so".

Ps. Shackle willpower monster set > necro willpower monster set ;)

I just wanna say I did state it was just my opinion, I'll never tell someone to run something because I said so, people like blobs do that and it's just ***, run whatever you're used to, if something works for you then awesome:)
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My build listed above is pretty tanky but unfortunately requires all gold armor & weapons to pull off b/c it takes advantage of reinforced heavy pieces to get almost 3.2k resistance each heavy piece (chest & legs); but good luck getting the golden arcane impreg jewelry pieces those were tough to find & expensive!

The big question to ask is "how tanky to do I need to be to feel comfortable?" & "am I ok with relying on shields to provide that?"

Personally for duels sure shields are fine but for open world/1vx I think there are too many cc's & cc immunity doesn't always work, also shields lasting 6 seconds was a nerf to us as well as sorcs.

Idk if my scathing mage was procc'ing as often as I wanted maybe the best setup right now is juli+riposte+grothdar, but I still feel squish w/o my 1 pirate, 1 chudan, maybe dampen magic is necessity if running grothdar

Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone play a heavy attack magblade? I love just messing around with builds, I get bored sometimes running my normal shackle/skoria/necro combo and like to mess around. I have been running an ice build when I get bored lately but ice decided it's a group build. Now I'm wanting to see how a heavy attack build works. I'm thinking of running like elegant/knightslayer/kena, also other sets I have in mind are stygian, shield breaker, torugs. Anyone try out a heavy attack build?

Heavy attacks were a thing of the past, they nerfed the damage & I thought I heard someone say Stygian didn't buff stealth heavy???
    If you can pull it off it would be ok, but you'll kill yourself against a wing spammer
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went back to 5 heavy 2 light shacklebreaker and spinners with kena from 5 light 2 heavy shakle and wizards riposte. My tooltips are slightly higher and spinners winds up getting me to 6kis pen compared to 7kish pen with light armor. Health is a push due to heavy passives vs Wizards having a health stat. Losing some crit and cost reduction but I am an argonian that spams funnel health so it doesn't seem that big of a deal for that synergy of bonus healing done and received.

The thing that makes me weary about WR is a lot of times my deaths are from other NBs waiting for me to be exposed and ganking me. That first hit before WR procs could be a *** and I expect more snipers when Miats gets nerfed. Not to mention if they get some non crits (although the ganker will on first hit). I just hope they fix shadow image so I can use it more than just a temporary stationary pet.
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you had to choose between shackle and amberplasm, what would choose regarding damage and stam sustain and why?
    Edited by GaunterODim on January 19, 2018 8:00AM
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I went back to 5 heavy 2 light shacklebreaker and spinners with kena from 5 light 2 heavy shakle and wizards riposte. My tooltips are slightly higher and spinners winds up getting me to 6kis pen compared to 7kish pen with light armor. Health is a push due to heavy passives vs Wizards having a health stat. Losing some crit and cost reduction but I am an argonian that spams funnel health so it doesn't seem that big of a deal for that synergy of bonus healing done and received.

The thing that makes me weary about WR is a lot of times my deaths are from other NBs waiting for me to be exposed and ganking me. That first hit before WR procs could be a *** and I expect more snipers when Miats gets nerfed. Not to mention if they get some non crits (although the ganker will on first hit). I just hope they fix shadow image so I can use it more than just a temporary stationary pet.

I'm doing things the other way- Riposte on my heavy shackle, spinners on my light shackle. One for pure tanky stronkness, the other for rapier like armour piercing burst. Only difference is I slot ele drain instead of reach on the heavy. Gets some very legit feeling magblade bow>harvest kills either way.

I think I agree though, spinners/shackle on heavy is a very comfy balance. The irony is that that's what I used to run months and months ago when MW had only just come out and I was still a total scrub. I've come full circle.
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    out of curiosity.... what is your wills tooltip if you are running CA and WM?
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would say amber>shackle b/c you can always run tri-stat glyphs if you need more resources
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • rteezy
    rteezy
    ✭✭✭
    on heavy armor sets whats the best option for the mosnter set (defensive) malubeth or bloodspawn?
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Funny when people say that Wizard's isn't useful on a magblade. Duels? Sure I can agree there. BGs? You might want to try it out.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone point me to a magblade gank build and a magblade bomb build? Im out getting skill points and wanting to put it in my wardrobe. My magblade is mostly single target but I feel like I can forgo some defense to go for a quick kill there, and then there's often times I see a cluster and a bomb opportunity has been present but I have not yet set it up.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny when people say that Wizard's isn't useful on a magblade. Duels? Sure I can agree there. BGs? You might want to try it out.

I think a lot of the differing opinions come from this, some people are giving advice on dueling builds and some are giving advice on open world builds. Wizards is definitely a good set on magblade for solo open world PvP where you will often be fighting 4 or 5 players. 1v1 the most effective way to build a magblade is high max Magicka, high regen, big damage shield, but open world the best way to play magblade is nice health pool with good mitigation, miss direction with cloak, and heal over times. It's two completely different play styles
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running around in spinners (front lightning), trans (back resto), malubeth/skoria/kena (depending on mood) and it seems pretty decent. I have no cash and happen to have this gear with gold weapons. Sometimes switch in ice staff front for a slightly different play style but much prefer lightning. The range stun combined with crippling is very fun. My only gripe with the build is my ultimate of choice is tether which is melee range.

My ranged damage is absolutely devastating and if left alone and not targeted its a bad mistake to make.
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    So: Disease enchant- Does it always apply defile? Game never really explains how this works.

I tried googling around but I could never find a clear answer. I have infused front bar so I can imagine that being very strong; but also OP so I'm guessing it has a % chance.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I've had fun with julianos impreg & 1 kena, I've decided to swap impreg for wizards due to group mates taking way too much heat/damage.
    So my destro setup is now:
    Juli front bar, riposte back bar, 1 pirate, 1 kena
    I changed to lover mundus so now I'm up to approx 15k pen, & jewelry enchants are 1 reduce cost, 1 recovery, 1 spell dmg
    This destro setup is legit for open world so I don't have any plans to further change it.

But I've always wanted to try a 2 hander forward momentum build: sap, lotus fan, forward momentum, concealed, mage light
    So I'm def running war maiden on front bar, should I continue with riposte back bar & 1 pirate, 1 kena? What are others doing for a two hander build? This is for open world cyro 1vx play.
    What pitfalls or issues have people had?
    I mean, if I stick to my current enchants on the destro build, still in 5 light, sharpened sword, cp, lover mundus, 15k pen should have my concealed strike hitting pretty hard right?

While I usually have blessing of restoration on back bar for the heal, I wonder if I should replace something for double take, I feel double take would probably mesh well with forward momentum; thoughts?

I don't really want to run cripple b/c that means putting cp into thaumaturge which I'm not doing, I'm not running skoria b/c I don't think the 1 dot from cripple is enough to proc it often.

My usual back bar:
    Cloak, blessing of resto, impale, healing ward, merciless resolve
    Maybe I can remove impale if concealed is hitting hard enough?
    Edited by kaithuzar on January 21, 2018 3:23PM
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Even though I've had fun with julianos impreg & 1 kena, I've decided to swap impreg for wizards due to group mates taking way too much heat/damage.
    I changed to lover mundus so now I'm up to approx 15k pen, & jewelry enchants are 1 reduce cost, 1 recovery, 1 spell dmg
    This destro setup is legit for open world so I don't have any plans to further change it.

But I've always wanted to try a 2 hander forward momentum build: sap, lotus fan, forward momentum, concealed, mage light
    So I'm def running war maiden on front bar, should I continue with riposte back bar & 1 pirate, 1 kena? What are others doing for a two hander build? This is for open world cyro 1vx play.
    I mean, if I stick to my current enchants on the destro build, still in 5 light, sharpened sword, cp, lover mundus, 15k pen should have my concealed strike hitting pretty hard right?

While I usually have blessing of restoration on back bar for the heal, I wonder if I should replace something for double take, I feel double take would probably mesh well with forward momentum; thoughts?

I don't really want to run cripple b/c that means putting cp into thaumaturge which I'm not doing, I'm not running skoria b/c I don't think the 1 dot from cripple is enough to proc it often.

My usual back bar:

Heavy juli riposte and skoria is what I run on my heavy magblade. It's an insanely strong setup, but I feel like i can squeeze out a bit more damage somewhere else. Thinking of swapping riposte for alch, juli for war maiden and going for troll king instead of skoria for survivability.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My usual back bar:

I run 5 shackle breaker/5 war maiden or spinner/ 1 domi/ 2hand/ resto. My front bar is merciless resolve, cloak, conceal, leeching, forward momentum, soul tether/incap. My back bar is cripple, double take, healing ward, fear, mutagen/swallow soul, resto ultimate. I use infused resto with spell damage glyph and double dot poisons on the front bar. Double take works great in combination with forward momentum, cloak and conceal. I haven't really had any pitfalls with the build concealed does hit pretty hard even though I run two recover glyphs. I usually sit around 42k Magicka and about 2800 SD buffed without the enchant with about 2300 regen. It's a pretty solid build. If you lose swallow soul instead of mutagen on the back bar you can add some range pressure.
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    Few highlights from the big ps4 EU dueling torny which was hosted last night, it showcases my current build of 5 necro 3 willpower & a monster set of your choice, I had to follow the torny rules so couldn't use any damaging monster sets :)

These fights were against some very good players so it proves magicka nb can still be very competitive with basic gear.

Thought I'd post this here if anyone was looking for some gameplay of a high end magicka NB build, this is just one of my set ups I like to use

https://youtu.be/15dzrg_9lBM
  • StayAlfresco
    StayAlfresco
    ✭✭

My usual back bar:

If you're not running cripple I'd highly advise running double take as a replacement. Movement speed is really important on a melee mageblade and the passive dodge chance is extremely handy. You need to kite well.

I'm currently running War maiden, bloodthorn and 1 domihaus on my 2h build. Personally, I'd rather get my spell damage buff from Degen over sap essence, just because of the passive healing and that I can activate it from range.

I don't run lotus fan either. It costs a lot for what you get. Personal preference of course.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few highlights from the big ps4 EU dueling torny which was hosted last night, it showcases my current build of 5 necro 3 willpower & a monster set of your choice, I had to follow the torny rules so couldn't use any damaging monster sets :)

These fights were against some very good players so it proves magicka nb can still be very competitive with basic gear.

Thought I'd post this here if anyone was looking for some gameplay of a high end magicka NB build, this is just one of my set ups I like to use

https://youtu.be/15dzrg_9lBM

Sorry mate, no offense, but that's not "high end gameplay" by my opinion.
    To me, that's "standard", weaving a pve dps style rotation in a duel...everyone does that/has done that.
    High end would be killing & surviving with a minimum of 2-3 opponents on you. At least confusing/juke/kite them as a joke if they are too strong all at once.
    Member of:

Former member of: