The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.4 is available.

PTS Update 17 - Feedback Thread for Combat Balance

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DosPanchos wrote: »
    Derra wrote: »
    MagDK using 5x powerlash in a row will not be good for pvp.

I believe the notes say power lash stuns enemy players which ends off balance...

I´ve tested it on the pts.

I petrify whip powerlash x5

There is no cooldown on off balance and the effect is not consumed when the target is cc immune. Whip sets a stunned or rooted enemy off balance - which means it will 100% guarantee off balance with petrify (you can avoid talons with preemptive dodge).
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smmokkee wrote: »

Omg right!

I think the powerlash move is just bad. Magdks are gonna be even nastier in pvp. Lol.

Crowd control immunity should not last 7 seconds either. If its 3 seconds to cast again after a ability was interrupted it should be 3 seconds of uninterruptible abilities. 7 seconds?? Thats like a complete fight reset for stam sorcs.

I personally think the healing on dark deal/conversion should be reduced but otherwise the interrupt changes go in the right direction.
    Interruptable skills are currently absolutely undesireable/unusable and this changes will put them in a better spot.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Smmokkee
    Smmokkee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smmokkee wrote: »

Omg right!

I think the powerlash move is just bad. Magdks are gonna be even nastier in pvp. Lol.

Crowd control immunity should not last 7 seconds either. If its 3 seconds to cast again after a ability was interrupted it should be 3 seconds of uninterruptible abilities. 7 seconds?? Thats like a complete fight reset for stam sorcs.

I personally think the healing on dark deal/conversion should be reduced but otherwise the interrupt changes go in the right direction.
    Interruptable skills are currently absolutely undesireable/unusable and this changes will put them in a better spot.

I think its in the right direction as well, I was just concerned with the immunity being to great for SS DDs. Maybe they take your idea on this and slighty reduce the effectiveness of DD.
    Options
  • Smmokkee
    Smmokkee
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the notes say power lash stuns enemy players which ends off balance...

I´ve tested it on the pts.

I petrify whip powerlash x5

There is no cooldown on off balance and the effect is not consumed when the target is cc immune. Whip sets a stunned or rooted enemy off balance - which means it will 100% guarantee off balance with petrify (you can avoid talons with preemptive dodge).

Just nasty.
    Options
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    I think I know why the gap closer damage reduction was done: to make potato spambush less viable. But they couldn't reduce just NB gap closer damage or half the community would have cried foul, so they reduced the damage for ALL gap closers.
    Options
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These changes to combat are horrible.

Adding a 7 second immunity to interrupts is completely out of hand:
    All cast abilities have high damage like Snipe, Dark Flare, crystal explosion, Beam.
    Or they offer abilities which were always critical in what they do and where only balanced with the reason that you could interrupt every single cast of the enemy like dark deal.

The high burst abilities need to be interrupteable they already deal absurd burst damage and when you can't even interrupt them anymore the stam and health drain for outnumbered people goes up as they have to block or dodge the skills which means you go up from eating 0 damage because your interrupts where on point. Now you have to dodge which means the cost penalty wrecks your stamina or you block it waste another huge amount of stam and still eat damage + secondary effects

Uninterruptable Dark Deal Sorcs have infinite sustain and especially Stamsorcs would be way too strong.
    They already have less counterplay to Dark Deal as individuals of the main interrupts in the game is ignored by the way too powerful BoL.

There should never be a 7 second interrupt immunity this has to be changed
    Options
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stun the enemies with a fossilize to proc offbalance AND cc immunity. I really hope they do something about this or we'll see a LOT of magdks running in cyro until it gets nerfed so bad nobody will want to touch it anymore.
    Edited by Subversus on January 9, 2018 9:11AM
    Options
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Bone Shield:

"If an ally uses the synergy and applies the damage shield to you, you will now also be placed on cooldown for that synergy."

I always thought the synergy applies the shield only on them, not on the caster. Am I wrong or is that changed?

Also, from Atronach:

"This will result in higher damage done for Magicka or Stamina builds, but may result in less damage done for hybrid builds."

I'm a bit split on this one. It's nice that the Atronach gets a little boost but less damage done on hybrids... yes, exactly what this game needs...

Interesting didn't think about that. Might be getting less than more damage. I suppose have to see, but no matter. It's for healer.
    Options
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can it be fixed so purfity works on bosses then?.

Interesting effects it could have on healers and elemental blockade.

Crushing shock or elemental blockade might be good choice...well for healers.

Options
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Block cost increase is not balance. It's hate against PvE.
    Options
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »

And the whip right after puts them offbalance again.

It might be bugged. Was testing Power Lash + Talons pretty extensively on the PTS and sometimes the Whip after Power Lash stun would offbalance and sometimes it wouldn't.

One thing I know for sure is that the stun does in fact eat off balance. But, like I said, the next Whip after stun isn't always re-applying offbalance.
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thecsolution here is simple, there needs to be an off-balance immunity, just like bosses have. Make it seven seconds for players, individual from CC immunity.
    That also puts an end to that ridiculous Truth set.
    Options
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Thecsolution here is simple, there needs to be an off-balance immunity, just like bosses have. Make it seven seconds for players, individual from CC immunity.

7 is big nerf for MDK.

2.5s would be best, whip has its own icd on off-balance per 5s, so then you could also interrupt off-balance someone after the OB cool down, but before the whip cool down.

Max 5s cool down though.
    Edited by ak_pvp on January 9, 2018 2:38PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
    Options
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerlash and offbalance is utterly broken on PTS @ZOS_GinaBruno

I am having a hard time landing a regular whip between the infinite power lashes. On a stamina dragonknight I might add.
    @usmcjdking

Are you achieving multiple power lashes on a player or on a test dummy?

If you’re testing on a dummy- try dueling someone to see if it works and if breakfree will grant them an immunity to offbalance.

It works on players too, I tested it.
    Dude Where's My Guar?
    Options
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can set them off balance AFTER they have CC immunity making it get x4 free power lashes, I tested and confirmed it works.
    Dude Where's My Guar?
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only gap closer of the bunch that you could argue against nerfing is the WW gap closer.

WW is in such bad shape that any nerf in it's direction makes it even less usable than it currently is.

Templar Focus Charge is both bad and buggy.

@Joy_Division

I haven't noticed anything spectacularily bad about toppling charge but then again I don't play much magplar. It seems to work like any other gap closer with maybe a few more Z axis restrictions.

If the opponent does not move, it sometimes overshoots the target making following up unnecessarily awkward.

That's, of course, when the ability actually closes the gap between the templar and the target, which is always an adventure in-itself.

Skill was designed specifically as an interrupt and a mans for templars to set opponents off-balance. Not that good players use channeled abilities in the first place, but next patch even bad ones will be immune to interrupts after they get free CC immunity from using Eclipse. The skill is so bad, I'm actually envious of DK chains.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ABjrX_-CXyfbZYc&cid=5E4F84D7C44DDB09&id=5E4F84D7C44DDB09!701&parId=5E4F84D7C44DDB09!177&o=OneUpFix t
    Options
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can set them off balance AFTER they have CC immunity making it get x4 free power lashes, I tested and confirmed it works.

While that sounds awesome...it probably needs to be looked at. Last thing everyone would want in pvp is a bunch of newb MDK's getting a bunch of free damage + heals throughout the entirety of a fight. Maybe increase the GCD of power lash so you can only get 2 off?
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
    Options
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    2H weapons have gotten very bland in PVE. They were always trailing way behind dual wield in single target dps and still continue that trend, but when Morrowind was released they had big AOE damage and finally started pulling their weight in crowded dungeons.

These past two updates pretty much killed that off, the sharpened nerf affected 2H more than dual wield and then the forceful passive was cut in half. Now dual wield does everything better again, how about making 2H less lame by bringing back the big AOE damage from light and heavy attack weaving?
    Options
  • Grabmoore
    Grabmoore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moglijuana wrote: »

While that sounds awesome...it probably needs to be looked at. Last thing everyone would want in pvp is a bunch of newb MDK's getting a bunch of free damage + heals throughout the entirety of a fight. Maybe increase the GCD of power lash so you can only get 2 off?

Please think objectivly. MagDKs might be dead in PvE due to upcoming off balance changes. Your suggestion puts the nail in the coffin. The game should not be balanced around the minority that is PvP.

I don't have a solution, but CD to Whip is not the answer.
    EU - PC - Ebonheart Pact
    Iggy Grabmoore - Argonian Magicka Templar | Nyctasha - Redguard Stamina Nightblade
    Do-Ra'Zhar - Khajiit Stamina DK | Ashmedi - Dunmer Magicka DK
    Vanya Darchow - AD Altmer Magicka Sorc | Malek gro'Kash - Orc Stam Sorc
    GM of "Handelshaus von Riften" - Trading & PvX Community
    Options
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    the difference between a no shieldplay glyph setup and a shieldplay glyph setup is too small now.
    with this small difference shieldplay glyphs are not worth it.
    buff shieldplay glyphs, so it does make a notable difference if you use them or not.
    a 400% block cost increase is too much, going from 88 to 336.
    try to test it with 200, and go from there.

Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

7 is big nerf for MDK.

2.5s would be best, whip has its own icd on off-balance per 5s, so then you could also interrupt off-balance someone after the OB cool down, but before the whip cool down.

Max 5s cool down though.

Yeah, the exact cooldown time is debatable. As long as you can't spam Powerlash, I'm happy.
    Options
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grabmoore wrote: »

Please think objectivly. MagDKs might be dead in PvE due to upcoming off balance changes. Your suggestion puts the nail in the coffin. The game should not be balanced around the minority that is PvP.

They made these off balance changes for PvE in the first place...so uh... Regardless, a bunch of free power lashes in PvE seems broken too. Giving a small window to use as many power lashes seems fine for now, it just depends on how long a target stays off balance. If it is too long, than every single MagDD will switch to magDK which will just end up getting the class gutted all over again. Put it this way...I have a 14k Power Lash tooltip (on a PvP build mind you)...do you REALLY think it would be fair if I can get 4 off in a row leading to another stun to get another 4 off? Yea that's broken...even in PvE that would be broken.
    Edited by Moglijuana on January 9, 2018 4:28PM
    Options
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget magDKs don't have an execute ability.
    Options
  • dirtykdx
    dirtykdx
    ✭✭✭
    Dragath wrote: »
    the difference between a no shieldplay glyph setup and a shieldplay glyph setup is too small now.
    with this small difference shieldplay glyphs are not worth it.
    buff shieldplay glyphs, so it does make a notable difference if you use them or not.
    a 400% block cost increase is too much, going from 88 to 336.
    try to test it with 200, and go from there.

Some more numbers (75 into shadowguard, fortress passive, absorb magic slotted)

Live - 4 Sturdy, 3 Shieldplay - 250
    PTS - 4 Sturdy, 3 Shieldplay - 420

Live - 7 Sturdy, 3 Shieldplay - 126
    PTS - 7 Sturdy, 3 Shieldplay - 360
    PTS - 7 Sturdy, 2 Shieldplay - 425

Something to note, dropping a shieldplay enchant also increases the cost of bash by 304. Not insignificant on certain fights.

FWIW: I run the 250 setup now and it is completely acceptable. full 7 sturdy + 3 shieldplay is still a stretch on PTS. But dropping 1 shield play while full sturdy, would be able to boost magicka recovery a fair amount, which could possibly counter it with more helping hands action -- oin a DK of course, warden tanks aren't looking any good this patch, when they were getting so close to viable for vet trials.
    Edited by dirtykdx on January 9, 2018 5:37PM
    @dirtykdx PC NA
    [The Shogunate]
    /taunt doesn't work on bosses
    Options
  • Grabmoore
    Grabmoore
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They made these off balance changes for PvE in the first place...so uh... Regardless, a bunch of free power lashes in PvE seems broken too. Giving a small window to use as many power lashes seems fine for now, it just depends on how long a target stays off balance. If it is too long, than every single MagDD will switch to magDK which will just end up getting the class gutted all over again. Put it this way...I have a 14k Power Lash tooltip (on a PvP build mind you)...do you REALLY think it would be fair if I can get 4 off in a row leading to another stun to get another 4 off? Yea that's broken...even in PvE that would be broken.

Do you play PvE? MagDKs have the worst sustain out of all classes. Right now, the class is tolerated only by few guilds and is only viable with 80% off balance (we do hit 4+ flame leashes in a row in PvE).

If the current state of perma offbalance bosses from PTS doesn't stay, the new changes will lead to around 25% offbalance. This is a direct death wish to magdk.

You could think for a better way? Go ahead, but don't let PvP overtake all the balance decisions. It's a niche.

Someone suggested letting Power lash proc off the burning effect instead. that would be a Way, maybe. Burning could be purged at least.
    EU - PC - Ebonheart Pact
    Iggy Grabmoore - Argonian Magicka Templar | Nyctasha - Redguard Stamina Nightblade
    Do-Ra'Zhar - Khajiit Stamina DK | Ashmedi - Dunmer Magicka DK
    Vanya Darchow - AD Altmer Magicka Sorc | Malek gro'Kash - Orc Stam Sorc
    GM of "Handelshaus von Riften" - Trading & PvX Community
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

All cast abilities have high damage like Snipe, Dark Flare, crystal explosion, Beam.
    Or they offer abilities which were always critical in what they do and where only balanced with the reason that you could interrupt every single cast of the enemy like dark deal.

The high burst abilities need to be interrupteable they already deal absurd burst damage and when you can't even interrupt them anymore the stam and health drain for outnumbered people goes up as they have to block or dodge the skills which means you go up from eating 0 damage because your interrupts where on point. Now you have to dodge which means the cost penalty wrecks your stamina or you block it waste another huge amount of stam and still eat damage + secondary effects

Uninterruptable Dark Deal Sorcs have infinite sustain and especially Stamsorcs would be way too strong.
    They already have less counterplay to Dark Deal as individuals of the main interrupts in the game is ignored by the way too powerful BoL.

Can you explain what ability you feel exactly needs to be always interruptable?

I can´t really think of anything apart from dark deal on stamsorc (conversion on mag does not heal enough and is easily outdmged).
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

Can you explain what ability you feel exactly needs to be always interruptable?

I can´t really think of anything apart from dark deal on stamsorc (conversion on mag does not heal enough and is easily outdmged).

Agreed.

The primary problem is that although avoiding interrupts improves the preformance of skills like Snipe or Dark Flare, it does not make them unmitigated or unavoidable. You can block/dodge/reflect most of these skills still.

Dark Deal on the other hand is far too efficient while it has only one form of address which is to interrupt. Stated changes would make this skill incredibly powerful. These changes can stay but dark deal would need to be reduced in efficiency to compensate.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
    Options
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you play PvE? MagDKs have the worst sustain out of all classes. Right now, the class is tolerated only by few guilds and is only viable with 80% off balance (we do hit 4+ flame leashes in a row in PvE).

If the current state of perma offbalance bosses from PTS doesn't stay, the new changes will lead to around 25% offbalance. This is a direct death wish to magdk.

You could think for a better way? Go ahead, but don't let PvP overtake all the balance decisions. It's a niche.

Someone suggested letting Power lash proc off the burning effect instead. that would be a Way, maybe. Burning could be purged at least.

I used to back when MagDK was near top DD yea. PvE turned extremely stale for me, community on console is toxic as can be and to be quite honest, I'm not a fan of the "Run through trials as fast as you can to compete".

Did you not read the in the PTS notes where they said they wanted to have heavy attacks done to maximize resource return at certain parts of boss fights (THIS WOULD BE DURING OFF BALANCE)? There is your resource solution. And it would affect everyone. If you say 80% is the current uptime of off balance...that seems way too high to begin with. That is probably the main problem as to why stam DD is so strong right now as well.

ALSO FLAME LASH USED TO BE A PVP ABILITY . But because off balance is now so prevalent and easy to upkeep, flame lash is used instead. It shouldn't be like that. Why choose an ability that stuns and heals (utility) vs an ability that is supposed to "technically" give you more dps overall? When you run in trials as a DD, healing should be your last priority. Seems like they want to capitalize on that change now.

Instead of making MDKs viable only during off balance (you say 80% right now) change them so they are viable for the whole fight and not just during off balance. Relying strictly on Flame Lash Procs and a BiS monster set seems like an extremely lame way to make MDK viable again.

And yes, I think being able to proc off burning enemies seems like a logical solution. Because you said it yourself, burning can be purged off and provides counter play in pvp.
    Edited by Moglijuana on January 9, 2018 8:08PM
    Options
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Can we rework MagDK a bit? I think testing the Flame Lash proc on burning instead of off balance would help. MagDK has awful sustain and the nerf to off balance uptime hurts it the most because this is the only build that really relies on off balance for damage and sustain. This would also let it not overperform in PVP where DOTs/burning can be purged.

Molten Whip can't be sustained either, same with Force Pulse. It'll probably dip to being completely bottom tier for DPS if this change goes live.

It's just disheartening to have a playstyle I enjoy so much and a character I've worked hard on keep getting indirectly nerfed each update when it needs help more than anything.

Also wouldn't mind some cost reduction on skills or a buff to Eruption (it costs a ton and could do more damage.) MagDK's sustain is so bad and this is the final nail in the coffin.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
    Options
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beetleklee wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Can we rework MagDK a bit? I think testing the Flame Lash proc on burning instead of off balance would help. MagDK has awful sustain and the nerf to off balance uptime hurts it the most because this is the only build that really relies on off balance for damage and sustain. This would also let it not overperform in PVP where DOTs/burning can be purged.

Molten Whip can't be sustained either, same with Force Pulse. It'll probably dip to being completely bottom tier for DPS if this change goes live.

It's just disheartening to have a playstyle I enjoy so much and a character I've worked hard on keep getting indirectly nerfed each update when it needs help more than anything.

Also wouldn't mind some cost reduction on skills or a buff to Eruption (it costs a ton and could do more damage.) MagDK's sustain is so bad and this is the final nail in the coffin.

This man gets it.
    Options