Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Main Thread for Long Loading Screens

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hello everyone,

We’re creating this thread so there’s a central place to have discussions and provide updates on the long loading screens that many of you have been experiencing. We know this issue is extremely frustrating, and for some, is preventing you from playing all together. We’re doing everything we can to get this fixed as quickly as possible, and have made it a top priority for our engineers. Our QA team has been testing various scenarios so we can collect as much data as possible, including hopping in and out of PvE zones, dungeons, Trials, Cyrodiil, and Battlegrounds, all with varying amounts of players (we’re utilizing bots for situations requiring higher numbers). We’ve also been able to pin down a solid reproducible case for us to investigate that our own Game Director Matt Firor was encountering.

As of now, our only update is that our engineers and programmers are still working to pin point exactly what’s causing this. Until we know, we won’t be able to put in a fix. As for what you can do to help…
  • Let us know which system and megaserver you’re on if you’re currently having this issue.
    • If you’re on PS4, please specify if you’re on a regular PS4 or PS4 Pro.
    • If on Xbox, please specify if you’re using an Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X.
    • If you’re a PC player, let us know what sort of processor you’re running.
  • Is there any specific area or zone you consistently see a long loading screen?
  • What are you doing when you experience a long loading screen?
    • I.e.: Using a wayshrine, resurrecting, looting, etc.
  • Are you utilizing any sort of SSD?
  • If you play on Xbox, is the game installed on the internal hard drive or an external hard drive?
  • If you’re on PS4, are you using the first party hard drive or a replacement?
Thanks for your patience on this, everyone. To reiterate, our priority right now is fixing this issue as soon as we can. We’ll provide updates in this thread as we receive them.

Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • GandTheImpaler
    GandTheImpaler
    Class Representative
    I have yet to pinpoint a time where I, personally, have had an infinite load screen due to the fact that many others I play with only experience them while they have invisible members in their group where they appear in the ground. So I usually have them re-render in order to avoid such issues and it has worked thus far. Every time someone I know has had one that I know of has been due to invisible members and thus making sure everyone is visible or online has become a core part of any sort of activity especially in PvP when porting from keep to keep or respawning.

PC
    AMD FX-4300
    Edited by GandTheImpaler on November 13, 2017 8:32PM
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    System: PC
    Processor: i7-7700k
    Zone: Non-specific, occurs everywhere.
    Doing: Generally moving from zone to zone, can't think of a specific trigger.
    SSD: Yes, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 nVME.

Hopefully this gets sorted soon, thanks ZOS! :).
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox (standard) NA
    Internal HD storage
    Experienced most frequently during anything that requires a load screen in Cyrodiil. Resurrecting, transiting, keep flipping (not sure why that requires one, but it seems to).
    Experienced less frequently using wayshrines for intrazone travel or interzone travel.
    Experienced rarely (2 or 3 times) during a random load screen traveling mounted within a PvE zone.
  • Sargentwilko51
    Sargentwilko51
    ✭✭✭
    What I have been experiencing is the following...

In Trails..
    Aetherian Archive - Every time we move thru the teleport pads, we lose 2 to 5 people.
    Hel Ra Citadel - The door entering the warrior's room, we lose 2 to 5 people.
    Sanctum - no issues (no places for loading screens either)
    Maw of Lorkhaj - Upon entering the final add pull before rakkhat (after the double chains add pull), lose 2 to 5 people.
    Halls of Fabrication - Upon completing the 2nd boss, teleporting to the 3rd, entering the assembly general fight, lose 2 to 5 people.
    Asylum Sanctorium - no issues (no loading screens either)

In PVP...
    Most of the issues I have personally experienced revolve around respawning after a death. Going to a outpost (Sejanus, Bleakers, Nikel) seems to be a tad more reliable. Respawning at a keep or at the base is almost a guaranteed long load screen.

In general PVE..
    A few times in CWC, would encounter a random load screen (the kind usually triggered by riding a max speed horse with rapids up) that I was unable to recover from. Other than that, I don't really travel around a lot of PVE zones anymore personally.

I'm on the PS4 NA server. I play on a PS4 Pro that is straight from the factory. Not on a 4k TV, so, none of the updated graphics either.

In general, I can share that my raid group has had pretty much the same experiences and I am asking all of them to put together lists of activities outside of these that they are seeing issues with.

Thank you for creating this post and I hope this helps
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PS4 pro standard Hard drive. Na server.
    Almost anytime I use a wayshrine or spawn after death in Cyrodiil.

Every time I walk in between BRK lumber and Farm I get a load screen(even before update)

25% of the time when a keep flips or wall is repaired.

1 outside of mournhold just standing there no moving

Out of all weekend I might have had 3-4 actually work.

We all just started to close application everytime we travel

P.S.
    I would have less issue with spawn load screen if healing ward and shadow image weren't broken

Back to the issue at hand
    Edited by Koolio on November 13, 2017 8:35PM
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS4 pro. Na server. First party hard drive.
    Got infinite loading screen when using wayshrine porting to other zones.
    When queuing dungeon and porting into dungeons.
    When inside a dungeon like cradle of shadow, going through the door into last boss, all 4 of us got infinite loading screen and had to close app and restart.
    Every stage portal at Dragonstar Arena.
    Basically any loading screen have the risk of never loading up.
    Also frequent freeze and spikes, like it’s gonna crash in any second.
    Everything loads slow like there’s no memory left due to high population on the server.
    Pc na
  • nikigwil
    nikigwil
    ✭✭✭
    Regular PS4 and first party hard drive
    EU server
    Happens mainly in cyrodiil all day regardless of time or how occupied the campaign is If dead unable to respawn and unable to travel via transitus shrine.

Edit: Also now I am unable to pick up quests for scrolls and keeps in cyrodiil. I did check I didnt already have one.
    Edited by nikigwil on November 13, 2017 11:55PM
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xbox One, NA
    Game saved on internal hard drive
    Load screen in the following:
    -Cyrodiil using transitus wayshrines
    -Cyrodiil, blood porting to any keep, outpost, or home base
    -wayshrines in Alik'r, almost always
    -50% of the time immediately after successfully porting to a wayshrine in a busy zone (mournhold, raw'l kha, wayrest)
    -Severe lag everywhere but especially in the busy zones and in Grahtwood, Elden Root
    -Sound cuts in and out
    -frequently, guild chat channels fail to work

Unrelated: after porting to a wayshrine, players are those black silhouettes for apprx 3-5mns, and my character is completely invisible for about a minute or two.

Edited by The_Lex on November 13, 2017 8:41PM
  • Wrecking_Gorilla
    Wrecking_Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    Stock PS4

Loading screens occur in greater frequency in CWC and mainly when loading back in the same zone. Using the teleport going to the world boss in CWC gives you about a 70% chance or greater shot at a loading screen. This isn’t to say, it doesn’t happen elsewhere. I’ve gotten them in Deshaan quite often. In MoL, runners get them if they die. Trials in general are getting more blue screens and infinite load screens.
  • Yellow_Monolith
    Yellow_Monolith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PS4 pro.

I get load screens if I die and try to ressurect at a keep or try to fast travel in Cyrodiil.

I'm using a 2tb seagate hard drive

I'm on PS4 EU

The game is on my internal hard drive
    Edited by Yellow_Monolith on November 13, 2017 9:27PM
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    System: PS4Pro
    Zone: Cyrodiil mostly (It's where I live...lol)
    Doing: Anything that triggers a load screen. That can be respawning at a keep or camp, fixing a wall, riding across the map and hitting one of those transition-zone load screens, or using wayshrines to travel to any keep or outpost.
    Hard Drive: OEM - Out of the box, non-modified console

Additional Info: The load screens aren't "long" - they are infinite - they simply do not end no matter how long you wait for them. Force-closing the game and reloading is the only way out. I'm encountering them about 95% of the time.

I've deleted game save data, no improvement. Dropped a bunch of quests, no improvement. Tried 4K vs 1080 Enhanced, no improvement.

Normally the "spinning wheel" on the load screen "catches" and stutters during a successful load. The wheel spins freely when you're in an infinite load screen and it never pauses or stutters like it does on an ultimately good load. When that wheel doesn't hesitate while spinning, you know you're in for a restart.

One potentially helpful discovery... I was clearing nightblades out of Kingscrest last night (My alliance owned the keep and it was not flagged) and when they killed me inside the keep, I would always be able to respawn at that keep with no problem. Any attempt to fast travel to another keep, or the gate, though, was met with an infinite load.

Population doesn't seem to matter - This happens even with no-bars or one-bar per faction. Hope this helps...

- Edited to add hardware info

Edited by dotme on November 13, 2017 8:49PM
    PS4NA
  • Sarah_Flare
    Myself
    System: Ps4 (standard)
    Server: NA
    Cryrodiil: rezzing and wayshrining. If on warden using nature's grasp I'm tossed into a permanent load screen. Fixing walls sometimes puts me into a load screen.
    Trials: portal, loading screens.

Husband who doesn't have forum account
    Ps4 pro
    Server: NA
    Cryrodiil: rezzing and wayshrining.
    Trials: load screens and portals.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This isnt even a new issue. Have you guys gathered no information about loading screens all this time? Genuine question, I dont mean to bash.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play only after 10PM UK London time and in the last 3 months I did not get a single infinite loading screen in Cyro, Trials, Zones, Dungeons, vMA and Battlegrounds.

Had couple of long loading screens after login in to Deeshan, but for some reason atl-tabbing and starting any program and alt-tabbing back fixes that, it feels that this wakes the game up...

Processor: I7-7700k
    SSD: yes
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PS4 server playing on the regular PS4 system. Original hard drive.

The infinte load times are happening to me around Stonefalls. I can port in just fine, but whenever I port to another wayshrine in the area I get stuck in the load screen and need to restart. Entering and exiting the delves or public dungeons doesn't trigger it. Only the wayshrines seem to.

I have travelled over Tamriel's other areas, but they are not locking up like Stonefalls is.

Hopefully, this input will help with expediting a fix for the issue at hand.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

We’re creating this thread so there’s a central place to have discussions and provide updates on the long loading screens that many of you have been experiencing. We know this issue is extremely frustrating, and for some, is preventing you from playing all together. We’re doing everything we can to get this fixed as quickly as possible, and have made it a top priority for our engineers. Our QA team has been testing various scenarios so we can collect as much data as possible, including hopping in and out of PvE zones, dungeons, Trials, Cyrodiil, and Battlegrounds, all with varying amounts of players (we’re utilizing bots for situations requiring higher numbers). We’ve also been able to pin down a solid reproducible case for us to investigate that our own Game Director Matt Firor was encountering.

As of now, our only update is that our engineers and programmers are still working to pin point exactly what’s causing this. Until we know, we won’t be able to put in a fix. As for what you can do to help…
    • Let us know which system and megaserver you’re on if you’re currently having this issue.
      • If you’re on PS4, please specify if you’re on a regular PS4 or PS4 Pro.
      • If on Xbox, please specify if you’re using an Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X.
      • If you’re a PC player, let us know what sort of processor you’re running.
    • Is there any specific area or zone you consistently see a long loading screen?
    • What are you doing when you experience a long loading screen?
      • I.e.: Using a wayshrine, resurrecting, looting, etc.
    • Are you utilizing any sort of SSD?
    • If you play on Xbox, is the game installed on the internal hard drive or an external hard drive?
    • If you’re on PS4, are you using the first party hard drive or a replacement?
    Thanks for your patience on this, everyone. To reiterate, our priority right now is fixing this issue as soon as we can. We’ll provide updates in this thread as we receive them.

Now this is an update I'm sure everyone will appreciate there is no doubt about it now zos has to be doing something about the load screen's thanks for going into detail a little more as to what's being done to fix this issue this really makes things feel a lot better that the feedback we been providing is actually being seen now time for everyone to work together to fix this pesky problem as for me I'm on the normal ps4 and am using the disk version of the game and I play on the north america server and I seem to encounter the load screen's more often in cyrodiil while trying to port into a keep or when a keep wall is being put back up this also happen when trying to revive at a keep they also occur in the imperial city when going into different districts and in Battlegrounds when you try to respawn after a death. I also received one yesterday while in clockwork city when trying to enter to fight a world boss and the above instances I mentioned above was not brief load screen's either they was infinite where you have to restart the game for it to play again hope some of this helps some
    Edited by Jake1576 on November 13, 2017 9:06PM
  • wizzard
    wizzard
    ✭✭
    Ps4 pro EU Long loading screens.... also no fps increas... we Stuck everywhere even in Quests Dungeons pvp solo vma Arena
    Edited by wizzard on November 13, 2017 8:49PM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Gina and Jessica for your efforts and for creating this thread. I'm sure it's not easy trying to deal with a problem of this magnitude and all of us crazy customers, but hopefully we can move forward and find a resolution.

I have a regular PS4, NA server, and I am using the original hard drive.

My problem has been primarily in cyrodil. I am unable to use way shrines for travel and can not respawn after a death. Both cases result in a never ending load screen requiring a reset. This happens with only 1 bar population in vivec.

• tt_rs3
    tt_rs3
    Regular PS4

Is there any specific area or zone you consistently see a long loading screen?
    Im in falkreath. Teammates left so it's trying to port me out of the dungeon -> endless screen -> restart game -> falkreath -> repeat. Restarted 8 or 9 times and while I'm writing this it finally got me out

Are you utilizing any sort of SSD?
    no

If you’re on PS4, are you using the first party hard drive or a replacement?
    First party

I didn't experience long loading times a lot since this time. Except trials of course lol
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Although I appreciate the effort, it really seems like the devs still haven't figured out what's causing the problem. I sure hope it doesn't take 3 months to fix like vMoL.
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mm hello,
    Well to start I'm on ps4 eu stock standard
    No external drives and up til now years of wonderful working eso but now it's terrible latency and of course load screens to the point I cannot play pvp or pve
    No specific location for these things to happen it's everywhere, the closer I get to people in the game the worse the lag and eventually disconnects
    Here in Australia we learn to live with sometimes unpredictable performance but this just broken
    I miss cyro :/ please fix
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xbox One and Xbox One X NA. Have encountered the infinite loadscreen on both. On my One X, the game is on the internal hard drive. It is the only game on that internal drive. Every other game, including the ESO that my regular Xbox One uses is on a 2Tb non-SSD drive.

Obviously it happens mostly in Cyrodiil. Only rarely was I able to come out of a load screen after redrawn or transit travel. However I've had it happen in PvE overland areas such as Deshaan and Craglorn. This has a chance to happen anytime there's a load screen initated. Whether that be travel, coming out of an outlaws refuge, or what have you. It also has been happening in dungeons. Yesterday whole group got stuck in the same infinite load screen in vaults of Madness. I got stuck in another one in COH II just an hour ago as well. It's happened in a couple other places but it doesn't seem to be area specific other than it happens way more often in Cyrodiil than any other area.

Edited for typo
    Edited by Apache_Kid on November 13, 2017 8:51PM
  • WIZZARD2K
    WIZZARD2K
    ✭✭✭
    The few times I have noticed this were upon exiting underground locations (delves, outlaw refuges).
    I don't recall it being linked to any specific zone or region, but I'll keep a log. Usually I just force-quit and reload the game to jump back in.
    PC/NA
    Always solo, so nothing group related in my case.
    Running an i5 7600, the game is loaded on a samsung 960 evo 500gb nvme drive (the os is on another)
    My issues are seldom, however, and don't even occur every play session- maybe once every other session or so. I typically give it a minute or two before I give up, though loading screens rarely take more than 15 seconds under normal conditions.
  • Paganini
    Paganini
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, i'll post for my old and my new system:

PC - EU

Old:
    i7 3770k
    Gtx 680
    Win 7 & Win 10
    16GB Ram DDR3
    System + Game on SSD

New:
    i7 7700k
    16GB Ram DDR4
    Win 7 & 10 tested
    AMD RX 580
    All on SSD

On both systems:
    Long loading screens in Cyrodiil while porting between keeps, respawning, charging players and near walls/gates getting repaired

Either iam waiting 10 minutes and i crash the game via task manager after this.

Those issues exist for almost a year now without any improvements! Also tried on a new system without anything installed except TESO (even no addons installed). Everyone else i know, doesn't matter if EU- or NA-server, got the same problem. A lot of friends left because of this.
    Edited by Paganini on November 13, 2017 8:59PM
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox one x. Digitally installed and only occurs in cyrodiil.
  • riVALry9
    riVALry9
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox One X (internal hard drive)
    NA server

The load screens do not appear to be specific to any one area, that I’ve seen.

PvE: I recently spent ~6 hours participating in various PvE content (questing, trials, etc) across multiple regions, both solo and in group. I only experienced two infinite load screens, both while using a wayshrine and both while solo.

PvP: Quite a different story....basically, almost every load screen is an infinite load screen; this includes using a transitus shrine or reviving at any forward camp or keep after dying. In addition, using a gap closer, flipping a keep/outpost, repairing a wall or being in the general vicinity of a wall that’s going up seems to have an increased chance of throwing you into a load screen (which you will not come out of). There seems to also be an increased chance of being thrown into a load screen while doing absolutely nothing (ie: standing in an empty field). These things appear to happen wether you’re in a group or solo, in any campaign and at any time of day. Very occasionally (perhaps 1 out of every 8-10 load screens) you will be allowed to load in almost immediately....this appears to happen more often when trying to revive at a keep that is under attack, but it could just be random.

For the sake of clarity, I feel I should mention that when we are referring to “long load screens”, we are not talking about load screens that take a couple of minutes to come out of. You can sit in these for 30-45 minutes without timing out until the game either crashes or you close it yourself.

• NateS4
    NateS4
    ✭✭
    Xbox NA
    Xbox X
    Using the factory Xbox internal hard drive

Main issues are zoning inside of trials.

VHoF
    Portal after second boss
    Door after third boss
    Door before Assembly General

VAA
    Portal that leads up to the Mage’s platform

VMaw

The door before the final add pull hallway.

These load screens are endless and require a force quit (sometimes multiple times in a row).
    Edited by NateS4 on November 13, 2017 9:31PM
    Nerf Nate
    Xbox NA
    Small Scale PvP
    Stamden (Grand Overlord)
    Mag DK (Palatine)
    Mag/Stamblade (Praetorian)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHyTq3wqzJ5K200K2JSNlRA?view_as=subscriber
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC, On the NA server. So far the issue only ever happened in Cyrodiil for me, and they become more frequent as the campaign gets more active or population-locked (and the server gets generally more lagged).

CPU: i7 4770K
    SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2

It can happen when reviving after dying, or when using a wayshrine within Cyrodiil to move to another keep. Sometimes it's just a long load screen that can take up to 2 minutes, but sometimes it's an endless load screen. I once gave it a bit over 20 minutes (I actually went for a shower during that time), and I ended up doing Alt-F4 when I got back and it was still on the load screen.

When it happens I see very light network activity, and no disk activity. I don't think I'm getting disconnected from the server because if I alt-F4 and quickly try to log back in, it says the account is already logged in - I have to wait 30-60 secs before I can try again and successfully log in. I assume that means there's still some connection active in background, or some sort of heartbeat is still reporting me as being online.

If I may make a suggestion - provide some sort of progress feedback on the load screen. Some MMOs will tell you if the game is currently trying to connect to the server, transferring zone data, loading local assets, etc... It might help pinpointing issues.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,
    [*]If you’re on PS4, please specify if you’re on a regular PS4 or PS4 Pro.
    [*] If you’re on PS4, are you using the first party hard drive or a replacement?

PS4 NA
    Generation 3
    Contents:
    PlayStation®4 System 500GB / Color: Jet Black Seagate 1TB Drive, ESO is installed on Harddrive
    Model Number: CUH-1215A

I've gotten them, twice, going to wayshrines via the map(touchpad>map>teleport to wayshrine). But no zone or place I visited consistently gave me a load screen.

My PvP friends have said they gotten theirs from dying in PvP and respawning to anything FC/Keeps/Home base.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on November 13, 2017 10:11PM
  • Julio92
    Julio92
    Soul Shriven
    PS4 EU
    Regular PS4
    1st party hard drive

infinite loading screen in Cyrodiil 100% sure after death when i want to respawn. 50% when using wayshrine.