The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

PTS Patch Notes Preview: Combat changes that will be in on Monday

• Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about Sorc's Rune Cage?
    Do they still want to make it an undodgeable 28m stun while Petrify gets nerfed?
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    From ESO Live today:

On PTS, the bug has been fixed where weapon enchantments weren't firing while you were blocking.

DK's Petrify was changed to an unblockable stun - turns out these are really powerful. So now it requires melee range (8m) to hit. (Reduced from 15m).

NB's Executioner passive currently gives Magicka when YOU kill someone, which is not v group-friendly. Now if ANYONE kills the enemy 2s after you use it, you get Magicka OR Stamina returned. And the return is instant rather than a return over time. This is still useful to solo players but means the passive is also useful to group players.

The Warden has 3 clearly-defined class lines: one for each of the game's roles. ZOS want to gradually make all classes like this - so Siphoning will become the NB Healing line. With this in mind, ZOS changed Agony to Malevolent Offering. It uses your HP to heal allies – a heal which doesn't cost Magicka or Stamina. However once you started it, you couldn't shut it off and newer players were killing themselves. So now it has an upfront HP cost. You can't use it if you don't have enough health.

The Warden's Feral Guardian has been updated so the bear has both CC and root immunity when you activate the ability. Makes him more reliable at getting to the target. Also if he is actively rooted, you activate the ability to get him out of it. They could have made him always CC-immune but then he would eat your face in PvP – this way he's still possible to kill. More changes planned to the Warden's bear in the future to improve his pathing AI, since he tends to run off and get lost.

Beams from Betty Netch & Engine Guardian helm can be seen even when you're stealthed (duh!). This is being fixed.

Warden's Secluded Grove Ultimate is really powerful and low cost. They could make it more expensive or less powerful. The Warden doesn't have a really big emergency heal like Rushed Ceremony, so this is the class's "oh crap" heal. They could have made it cheaper or adjusted the value of the heal over time – they've gone with reducing the HoT. This may be adjusted again.

CHANGING ARMOR ACTIVES. You will now need 5 pieces of Light Armor to use Annulment, 5 Medium to use Evasion, 5 Heavy for Immovable. Currently anyone can use any of them. Now the Nightblade evasion ability is cool, because Tanks can wear Heavy Armor and use it.

Change to Siphoner passive in Champion System (used in PvP). This is to help with “super long fights where no one is running out of resources or fights”. Up to 25% restore, from 15% that it was previously. Helps to distinguish between high-damage burst builds and sustain builds.

Also in a future PTS, they are looking at adjusting the value of Eye of the Storm, so they can reduce the strength of the ability used in PvP without changing the one used in PvE. They will also be looking at Panacea and Shield Wall because they are very cheap, and it's hard to kill people using these Ultimates.

Well, they just made my main the absolute best stam 1v1 class with that simple change to shuffle. Now I know how sorcs feel when they get buffed and have to lowkey say their class is weak so they keep the buff.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    From ESO Live today:

The Warden has 3 clearly-defined class lines: one for each of the game's roles. ZOS want to gradually make all classes like this - so Siphoning will become the NB Healing line. With this in mind, ZOS changed Agony to Malevolent Offering. It uses your HP to heal allies – a heal which doesn't cost Magicka or Stamina. However once you started it, you couldn't shut it off and newer players were killing themselves. So now it has an upfront HP cost. You can't use it if you don't have enough health.

Is anyone else worried about this?

So as a templar, ZoS wants to take away the bread and butter of our DPS skill in shards, sweeps, and charge, just so I can spam Reflective Light and Jesus Beam everyone? It's already bad enough I have one-skill line dedicated to healing when I try to play something that isn't a healer. Or does ZoS plan on moving Sweeps and Charge Dawn's Wrath, so I can't access my Aedric Spear passives and create an entire skill line devoted to tanking even though Templars are unwanted as tanks?

This will pretty much strangle what remains of build diversity since because we no longer can choose from 15 all purpose skills, we've confided to 5 that fit our role. And I'm pretty sure having only 4 DPS skills is a big factor why the warden's DPS is terrible. As it is, pretty much all the Wardens' I run into Cyrodiil have the same build and do the same thing because two thirds of the skills are specialized to do roles that players aren't trying to fulfill.

It seems like ZoS wont be happy until they finally make it so a Dragonknight won;t be laughed at as a healer, but while doing so tear the guts out of the in-your-face archetype that many players who chose the class in the first place and thus put the nail in the coffin of what was the most enjoyable and best designed class at launch.

They´re going down the route of dumbing down the game as every casual pve game (wow and swtor being my main examples coming to mind both having dumbed down their skill/classtress extremely over the years) have.

1 tank tree / 1 heal tree / 1 dd tree.

One year from now you´ll have to choose in eso what role you want to play and be restricted from choosing certain skills/morphs/classtrees because they don´t fit your chosen role.
    Mark my words...

Swtor people didn't believe it and it happened to us after all. It's sad when you think about it, but you're absolutely right. They realized that the skyrim-play-whatever playstyle isn't working for an MMO.
  • nCats
    nCats
    ✭✭✭
    From ESO Live today:

So as a templar, ZoS wants to take away the bread and butter of our DPS skill in shards, sweeps, and charge, just so I can spam Reflective Light and Jesus Beam everyone? It's already bad enough I have one-skill line dedicated to healing when I try to play something that isn't a healer. Or does ZoS plan on moving Sweeps and Charge Dawn's Wrath, so I can't access my Aedric Spear passives and create an entire skill line devoted to tanking even though Templars are unwanted as tanks?

This will pretty much strangle what remains of build diversity since because we no longer can choose from 15 all purpose skills, we've confided to 5 that fit our role. And I'm pretty sure having only 4 DPS skills is a big factor why the warden's DPS is terrible. As it is, pretty much all the Wardens' I run into Cyrodiil have the same build and do the same thing because two thirds of the skills are specialized to do roles that players aren't trying to fulfill.

It seems like ZoS wont be happy until they finally make it so a Dragonknight won;t be laughed at as a healer, but while doing so tear the guts out of the in-your-face archetype that many players who chose the class in the first place and thus put the nail in the coffin of what was the most enjoyable and best designed class at launch.

Worrisome but perhaps not the end of the world: given the difficulty of the problem I imagine it not happening for templars. Maybe they really are thinking about future class additions with next chapters, and that’s why this reasoning showed up.

About wardens I actually think that this is a class where mag has less variety than stam, given the traditional dependence of stam on weapon skill lines and resulting gameplay differences.

Otherwise I’m intrigued by changes. Implicit stamplar buffs, will be happy to see resto ult go more expensive, all that.
  • nCats
    nCats
    ✭✭✭
    @Brrrofski I understand your concerns yet I don’t see why heavy has to be dead in pvp (even though I support the shuffle change), neither from TES nor from fantasy-historical perspective (battles in full armour were normal in XVI century)

Maybe certain sets like fury or ravager gotta get the burning spellweave treatment, and something has to be done about magplars, block-healing, troll king etc. You’re not really annoyed by heavy 2h/bow stamsorcs I imagine?

I have thought about combined armor types (say 3 heavy 4 medium) and unique bonuses for that. Also maybe about a blocking damage threshold lowered, so that high burst builds could break through the shields, or add repeated block fatigue in pvp. If you’re being hammered by a two hander your arm won’t feel ok.

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, they really want that hybrid playstyle eh? I don't really approve of gradually making all classes have well defined roles for their respective trees, it doesn't help with diversity of builds. What I rather see is have dual roles for each tree, kinda like heals / support or dps / support or tank / heals.

Take the Nightblade for instance. I'd like to see the shadow tree be a tank / support line rather than just a tanking skill line. Or maybe the daedric tree for Sorcerers be a tanking / heal line and dark magic be dps / heal.

The problem with shoehorning roles with a specific tree is that it would just make gear even more vital for builds than it already is. Gear would literally define your build. That's no good. Not to mention, this paves the way for stam/magicka morph for every skill, which is even more depressing for diversity.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only took them a year or so.
    PC EU
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CHANGING ARMOR ACTIVES. You will now need 5 pieces of Light Armor to use Annulment, 5 Medium to use Evasion, 5 Heavy for Immovable. Currently anyone can use any of them. Now the Nightblade evasion ability is cool, because Tanks can wear Heavy Armor and use it.

I'm am happy with this change : It will bring more balance to the game.

Shuffle is way to strong when used with heavy armor, Harness magicka too. It will bring heavy armor more in place with light and medium armor.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kilandros wrote: »
    My guess is they will effectively homogenize the classes and most of the class skills (same basic effects, different animations) either in anticipation of or alongside Spellcrafting. Ever since they showcased Spellcrafting I've firmly believed that development on it stalled because they couldn't figure out how to fit it into existing classes without completely destroying balance (If you remember the video on Spellcrafting, it was basically done--they had the system fully fleshed out).

Is there a video on YouTube? I never saw it.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »
    Shuffle is way to strong when used with heavy armor, Harness magicka too. It will bring heavy armor more in place with light and medium armor.
    Ye, but that what those heavy armor users don't want.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm am happy with this change : It will bring more balance to the game.

Light was already in the ballpark so; maybe there. But this does nothing for medium. Mediums problem is not that it is weaker to heavy. It's weaker to light also since its main defense is to actively dodge yet you have undodgeable attacks and stuns. Imagine if there were unshieldable attacks or non-ultimate abilities that ignore mitigation and were spammable. That's what medium is like.

The sets for heavy is what made it better. Not shuffle. Actually; with boost to syphoner I like heavy even more.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    Swtor people didn't believe it and it happened to us after all. It's sad when you think about it, but you're absolutely right. They realized that the skyrim-play-whatever playstyle isn't working for an MMO.

The Skyrim play style might actually work better for what ZOS needs to do with the game than the traditional MMO class and role, but we will never know. They never even got close to implementing a Skyrim play style, and it is too late to go back.

My worry is that ZOS will homogenize so that any class, in any role, is the equivalent to all of the others. If that is the case, why bother having so many classes when all you need are the three main ones: Fighter, Mage, and Cleric.

I am a fan of "whatever play style" but I am not a fan of what tends to come after it, "and be best at it." In this case, "best" isn't a literal statement, it is more of a relative statement compared to the content. I am fine if a Dragonknight wants to be a healer, but they should not be the best healer out there. I am fine if a Sorcerer wants to be stamina, or be a tank, but they should not be the best at doing that. Each class needs a strong role, a weak role, and an average role.

I don't even want to get into the horrors of what homogenization does to PVP. Gah.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    From ESO Live today:

They´re going down the route of dumbing down the game as every casual pve game (wow and swtor being my main examples coming to mind both having dumbed down their skill/classtress extremely over the years) have.

One year from now you´ll have to choose in eso what role you want to play and be restricted from choosing certain skills/morphs/classtrees because they don´t fit your chosen role.
    Mark my words...

People keep repeating this play-whatever-playstyle-doesnt-work-in-MMOs like it's some sort of a mantra. SWTOR (and soon, ESO) didn't homogenize the game because they couldn't balance it--they're homogenizing games because it decreases future development costs.

ESO is pretty much entirely crown-store driven at this point. Balancing the classes (i.e., the base game) doesn't increase revenue or improve sales. Crown store items, DLCs, and new "features" do. If they homogenize the classes they can cull the size of the balance team just like SWTOR did. Then they can add flashy new skill lines as part of paid DLC content and they won't need to support a large development team to make sure those skill lines work within the existing classes.
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Ye, but that what those heavy armor users don't want.

I don't use heavy anymore. I personally don't see a massive issue with it. Its just tanking and some sustain, as opposed to damage and sustain. The issues imo come from blocking.
    Edited by ak_pvp on September 30, 2017 2:07PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kilandros wrote: »
    People keep repeating this play-whatever-playstyle-doesnt-work-in-MMOs like it's some sort of a mantra. SWTOR (and soon, ESO) didn't homogenize the game because they couldn't balance it--they're homogenizing games because it decreases future development costs.

ESO is pretty much entirely crown-store driven at this point. Balancing the classes (i.e., the base game) doesn't increase revenue or improve sales. Crown store items, DLCs, and new "features" do. If they homogenize the classes they can cull the size of the balance team just like SWTOR did. Then they can add flashy new skill lines as part of paid DLC content and they won't need to support a large development team to make sure those skill lines work within the existing classes.

It is true that it decreases future development costs, at a time when they will be wanting to minimize the development efforts put against ESO. Remember that ZOS is probably working on a new title, and once that is public knowledge, they will be working to wrap up whatever lose ends they have time for on ESO.

However, people are promoted to thier level of maximum incompetence. This applies to game studios, too. They can only get so good, and then they simply stop being better.

I think both things are at play here. ZOS is looking to simplify because they cannot get any better than they are, with the staff and spending they have in place, and they want to dial back on that spending to make room for more focus on the next project.

• GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can someone please link or pm me the ESO Live video? I can't find the latest one.
    PS4 NA DC
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope that ZOS will not change skill lines in the warden style. A skill line should contain skills fitting the theme and having synergies with respective passives. Good diversity is achieved when multiple skills lines are used.

If each class needs more support to fit in all three roles, that should be achieved via morphs. Many morphs already follow this pattern. A few remaining skills should be changed to follow that pattern. That way, there would be no good/bad morphs.

What really needs to be changed is the way how a skill is magicka/stamina based. Currently, stamina builds lack diversity, because they cannot really select a morph. They just take the one that scales off stamina/weapon damage/etc.

We should be able to choose a skill line "morph/scaling", i.e. select how the skills in a particular skill line are working. That way, we could select magicka based support skills and stamina based dps skills and/or vice versa.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone please link or pm me the ESO Live video? I can't find the latest one.

Really?

https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/videos/all

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178418045

P.S. - Watch Finn's body language while Wrobel is talking. :smile:
    Edited by Elsonso on September 30, 2017 4:02PM
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    From ESO Live today:

On PTS, the bug has been fixed where weapon enchantments weren't firing while you were blocking.

DK's Petrify was changed to an unblockable stun - turns out these are really powerful. So now it requires melee range (8m) to hit. (Reduced from 15m).
    lol

NB's Executioner passive currently gives Magicka when YOU kill someone, which is not v group-friendly. Now if ANYONE kills the enemy 2s after you use it, you get Magicka OR Stamina returned. And the return is instant rather than a return over time. This is still useful to solo players but means the passive is also useful to group players.
    I like this for my nb. but I worry about groups of nightblades... they will become harder to kill

THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT PEOPLE WANTED
    The Warden's Feral Guardian has been updated so the bear has both CC and root immunity when you activate the ability. Makes him more reliable at getting to the target. Also if he is actively rooted, you activate the ability to get him out of it. They could have made him always CC-immune but then he would eat your face in PvP – this way he's still possible to kill. More changes planned to the Warden's bear in the future to improve his pathing AI, since he tends to run off and get lost.

i hope this works... will make the Bear useful
    Beams from Betty Netch & Engine Guardian helm can be seen even when you're stealthed (duh!). This is being fixed.
    finally
    Warden's Secluded Grove Ultimate is really powerful and low cost. They could make it more expensive or less powerful. The Warden doesn't have a really big emergency heal like Rushed Ceremony, so this is the class's "oh crap" heal. They could have made it cheaper or adjusted the value of the heal over time – they've gone with reducing the HoT. This may be adjusted again.

eh, sounds like they have something good planned for grove.

How about NO on the Armor actives changes... that is called reducing build diversity. (although I feel like i've encounted a few heavy armor users with Annulment....)
    Change to Siphoner passive in Champion System (used in PvP). This is to help with “super long fights where no one is running out of resources or fights”. Up to 25% restore, from 15% that it was previously. Helps to distinguish between high-damage burst builds and sustain builds.

Will people start using this now????
    Also in a future PTS, they are looking at adjusting the value of Eye of the Storm, so they can reduce the strength of the ability used in PvP without changing the one used in PvE. They will also be looking at Panacea and Shield Wall because they are very cheap, and it's hard to kill people using these Ultimates.

good news
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Ace_SiN
    Ace_SiN
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like that they may create 3 distinct lines for all the classes. However, I do not like that we'll probably still be limited to 5 skills within that line. I think it's time that ZOS starts expanding the amount of skills in game and do less replacing. If a skill is not seeing much use then buff it. Reduce the cost, increase the damage, add utility, or something. Most skills are not useless, they just lack power or accessibility. Like the Heavy Armor skill is almost never used, despite being an interesting skill, but it's also insanely expensive with low uptime.
    King of Beasts

• Riddari
    Riddari
    ✭✭✭
    cmetzger93 wrote: »
    I for one am super excited that they are wanting to make all classes able to fill each role!

Same. I think it's nonsense that having skill lines for each role in each class will somehow make us all the same. Each class already has dedicated dps skills. Is every dps the same?

In fact, having the way we have it now kills build diversity. Every tank is gonna be a DK. Every healer was a Templar. How is that diverse?
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Would say Im happy with those changes tbh

Nice ZOS
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    From ESO Live today:

Mark my words...

all so the braindead can play

see, these people get it

honestly reminds me of the other day when I happened to glance at can of peanuts.The damn thing said contains peanuts.No you think?
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They really should just keep it as it is,and change warden accordingly. Easier,and less chance of screwing up.
  • GoodFella146
    GoodFella146
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the restricting of casting abilities however SOMETHING needs to be done about the zero damage and super tank meta. It's wayyyyyyyy too hard to kill ppl right now, especially with that cheesy sword and board ultimate being cast seemingly non-stop.

Right now it feels like the best way to kill someone is to run around a tree popping your cheesy sword and board ulti, waiting for more players to show up to kill whoever it is you're fighting. Wtf kind of PvP is that?

It should be hard to stay alive not hard to do damage
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anti_Virus wrote: »
    STEVIL wrote: »
    As for this "The Warden has 3 clearly-defined class lines: one for each of the game's roles. ZOS want to gradually make all classes like this - " when i heard that live i said out loud "oh no please not."

That way lies sameness.

And also, that immediately steps on one of the warden's differences... that was "the warden sctick" to me.

I dunno. I kinda like this idea. Too many new players who have come from less flexible MMOs assume that the Dragonknight is for Tanking and the Templar is for Healing, and no other way of doing things is possible.

I'm open-minded to the change at least until I have a better idea of what they're planning. Then I'll decide if it sounds stupid or not.

I too am In favor of this new change going forward.

DK:
    Ardent Flame- DPS
    Dragonic Power: Tank
    Earthen Heart: Heal/Support

Templar:
    Aedric spear- DPS
    Dawn's Wrath - Tank
    Restoring Light- Heal/Support

Sorc
    Dark magic- Tank
    Daedric Summoning- Heal/Support
    Storm Calling- DPS

NB
    Assassination- DPS
    Shadow- Tank
    Siphoning- Heal/Support

How will people justify wardens being underpowered now? People say it's okay because they're a jack-of-all-trades class that isn't supposed to be good in any role. Now everyone is going to be a jack-of-all-trades!

I honestly just want my sorc for one role lol
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The armor changes look really good. Aside from it nerfing tavas tanks, I’m really pleased. Maybe now people can l2p and stop getting carried by heavy, or keep wearing heavy and enjoy my stampedes not letting you move
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From ESO Live today:

Yea, should definitely change all classes to be like Warden because Warden is so popular that it must be a great concept

I thought there was no good reason for any ability to be different in PVE than in PVP and this would confuse everyone and the sky would fall. I don't think eye of the storm is the only ability that should have different PVP and PVE attributes. Many should. In fact, all abilities that have both a CC and a damage component should since the CC component has not value in PVE leaving the damage component insufficiently damaging with current calculations (ie. crippling grasp or clench.)

Also, no fixes to heavy / light attack scaling and animation timing? Game still broke as *** then.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very worried about this one. Will make nightblades the strongest heavy armor class (stamina) by far. I think heavy armor needs some more adjustments but I don't think that this is the right way. Will also destroy Tavas builds for example which is a very bad thing, nothing that we should be happy about.

What you mean to say is....now NB's have something to look forward too instead of just being DPS or an argonian healer? Sounds like a good change to me since for the last 3 years there has been classes that have always been #1 healer and #1 tank picks. Now maybe we can "play as we want"?
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • Crom_CCCXVI
    Crom_CCCXVI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they really want better combat...

increase the base damage of all attacks by 33% (not procs or ults) and reduce champ point effects by 75%, and you would be pretty much back to when the game had a great PvP population, with all kinds of builds as compared to today where you have one server where everyone is on a sheild stacking Sorc or a no death tank.