Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Decorating Hints, Tips & Ideas

kip_silverwolf
kip_silverwolf
✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen many great ideas from posters on decorating, and thought it would be good to have such tips etc together in one post. So please share yours here! :)

I'll start off with one of mine:

Turning furnishings upside down can often give you different looks to be creative with.
e.g the Vvardenfell Scale Model turned upside down makes for great patio paving!

8TLBSNy.jpg

Here I've turned the Daedric Platform, Ashen & Daedric Base, Ashen upside down to use as decking

zzZaEvb.jpg

The Orcish Bar, Long Branded Block (Blue pattern) makes a great planter pot when turned upside down

d5Ikme0.jpg
"I'm going to live forever..or at least die trying"

drunken Nord & Tamriel streaker since Arena

• FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like taken tall rooms high ceilings and adding a loft to it adds more area to put stuff and makes the room feel better.

The huge mushrooms are cool bc you can use a plank and climb to the top of them and build on them great place to make a Secret garden.

• kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't thought about using mushrooms like that before! What a super idea! It would be a perfect touch inside Tel Galen.

• Bellamy
    Bellamy
    ✭✭✭
    If you hide an Indoril Incense, Burning inside of a Skooma Bubbler, you'll have your very own lit/smoking skooma bubbler!
    @Be11amy
    PC | NA | CP340
    Rhase | Dunmer | Magplar DPS
    Jo'lli | Khajiit | Warden Healer
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    those free thrones that came out during the pvp event are useful. i turned them into the frame for this crystal in my house.
    mwiz10dnqyxr.png
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Lusty Argonian Nightblade
    ~Baron Humbert von Gikkingen~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you need fire for your fireplace, but would rather not buy crown store only options? you can combine smoldering logs from baseline furnishing vendor (100 gold) with nord triple torch that was sunk into the ground with its tips hidden inside the logs. that makes only fire show and look like the logs themselves are on fire.

alternately some of the braziers can be sunk into the ground but you will most likely end up with at least some of the edges showing. on a plus side - it reduces your item count vs above idea.

oh and those daedric platforms? also make very pretty textured ceilings :) (especially when you are using them to build loft floors - they are slightly smaller then wide planks, but look infinitely better, especially in dark elf buildings
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my unfinished bathroom:

eso64_2017-08-05_15-25-50.png

As bathtub I'm using pool from CS Vicec set, I put censer under the pool to make it look like water inside is hot
    On walls I have glass crystals which can be bought from Vvardenfell achievement vendor
    I'm using daedric candles and telvanni azure lamps because I wanted to have blue lights in my bathroom
    Vines are like "natural curtain", to seperate bathtub from the rest of the room.

I've also built a cave in my garden with "hidden" entrance where I have my "forge", I'll post screnshots when patch will be downloaded.
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6vo9eaz8x82a.png
    nvcuvb0486o3.png

its sad that zenimax didn't make the interiors match the exteriors, but this does a good job of making it feel more immersive.
    i have an obsession with fungus, the massive mushrooms that grow in my house are my favorite part of my house.
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh, forgot to mention. if you pretend that you have piping hidden inside the walls (kinda like it is in RL) you can hide redguard keg inside the wall until only the spout shows and voila! you have a faucet for a sink :) I have also tried it with regular keg, but because of the way its designed, you will end up with a wooden circle if you want your faucet to be fully visible. so it has to be redguard keg, which is unfortunate, as I would love to have an option of a brass faucet.

example image bellow (sorry about the giant link, I'm having some issues with google albums) - because of the configuration of the house, I was able to hide part of the mirror within the existing wall, but using stone building blocks or possibly certain tiles can also work well.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8Wqb-b7Vq9mOWT3CSgrPrZ19kWkAQcjFNFaSPpz64hyva9xgobnkbhY2Ot4IUJSU_9RIlMarTT_OI0xVxbVikRACjDZLoMi2AIdHKSW7eBa07K6o5fSUb81JOjgo9b-LHiUEtLek-HM3_IVcH-jn6GwwOhnK4QtxIdeJwk_C-aPP8KWH_kUKMYnNN7lBQJp91nd-dafYgfFMOeJxgRFfsfc1X6KIJrAJUdle42ijdlaCcauBIWG8H-8NRIq7OqqB6tmrk9JKOG-tYQYxlKDCVUj589SdCOmspE2w2E5mD9_sDI0KKE1rVFeKl7dI6BaMOF8IqF4jtKCv6SNfG22XPXMmH7fd66W_BFPKhstv4d3NHR6WuIACTqhXgVnimgOLl2i-Ws9n5Z66Lm5LSmoix_bbZd0a3vAGwt1S3NAJyiYNEckljXOej29vcJofJ3z0A38vOyU8-z43CWP-wF4qabK4YYziLIzoCM3DFDOVv8SkFjt9nThFuO7T4zYJVJ0Ny29PJ13gJbpuxRussvoqD0Eb473DU5vqtz48Tls83miF5JzKanz4fPRuJCKJM0P74nYAWe_CzcTs_DUvgOIXyxbiD2QW-CXEeC8QB3djJZyutlMe0TZWLFWD5jPvcC5mL-V0dI8G3cnxYymitzqV-qBm0I24HOSfsm16r1aJVXmsyw=w876-h885-no
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Linaleah I loved your idea on the Redguard kegs so much I had to use them to make 'hot & cold' taps for my bath! :)

• Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While looking for an organic-looking ladder to use in Snugpod, I found that the wedding vine (achievement vendor in Vulkwasten, I think) looks really nice - and tilted correctly, it works like a ramp so no jumping is required. The branches/leaves on top will interfere with the visuals of the 2nd floor a bit*, but they won't stop your character getting through.

I'll try to post a photo when I get home tonight.

*depending on the looks you're going for, the branches may even be a good feature. For me it is, as it keeps my sleeping area extra cosy.
    PC-EU
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »
    While looking for an organic-looking ladder to use in Snugpod, I found that the wedding vine (achievement vendor in Vulkwasten, I think) looks really nice - and tilted correctly, it works like a ramp so no jumping is required. The branches/leaves on top will interfere with the visuals of the 2nd floor a bit*, but they won't stop your character getting through.

*depending on the looks you're going for, the branches may even be a good feature. For me it is, as it keeps my sleeping area extra cosy.

That's exactly what i use in my Snugpod too, as well as any place where i'm building a tree house. Expensive but totally worth it. Just flip them upside down to avoid the branches to get in your way. Posting pictures later as well :)
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arciris wrote: »

That's exactly what i use in my Snugpod too, as well as any place where i'm building a tree house. Expensive but totally worth it. Just flip them upside down to avoid the branches to get in your way. Posting pictures later as well :)

@Arciris Out of interest, how did you deal with the bits of wood poking out on top, which used to be the roots of the vine? I tried turning the ladder upside down like you do, but my character kept stumbling because the ladder is a bit tilted and I could not tuck it all into the platform without creating a step/hop.

Maybe it just needed extra tweaking, or maybe we're using different "upstairs" platforms and it makes a difference, but I'd really love your advice (and screenshots, later, if you can).
    PC-EU
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Arciris Out of interest, how did you deal with the bits of wood poking out on top, which used to be the roots of the vine? I tried turning the ladder upside down like you do, but my character kept stumbling because the ladder is a bit tilted and I could not tuck it all into the platform without creating a step/hop.

Maybe it just needed extra tweaking, or maybe we're using different "upstairs" platforms and it makes a difference, but I'd really love your advice (and screenshots, later, if you can).

Well, I'm using those same wedding as a platform too. It works when you find the right angle (not too steep) and you let a little space between the "roots" and the other platform (platforms in my case) Loggin in now and I'll take some screenshots, although the upstairs and a bit of downstairs are not decorated yet.

edit: server is off for maintenance, so later i guess.
    Edited by Arciris on August 16, 2017 5:30PM
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the empty braziers sunk into the ground so you just see the top ring, surrounding the lambent target centurion to represent positions for party members to stand during trial boss fights such as SO or MoL. I place crystals in some of them for the healers and tank positions. I've got a second regular centurion that four party members will break off to fight to represent the pit in Vet SO. It's definitely not the same as getting into the dungeon and actually doing it, but it does help to visualize the fights better.

Screenshot_20170612_132413.png
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm using those same wedding as a platform too. It works when you find the right angle (not too steep) and you let a little space between the "roots" and the other platform (platforms in my case) Loggin in now and I'll take some screenshots, although the upstairs and a bit of downstairs are not decorated yet.

edit: server is off for maintenance, so later i guess.

Vines for both ladder and platforms? Ouch, expensive! I've tried the Orcish planks (too plain), the Argonian Rough Lattice (too fiddly to place horizontally in such a small room, and fragile-looking) and ended up using a Daedric platform stuck into a wall. But it's far from perfect, so I'm considering other options, like the Bosmer dividers or some Redguard awnings. Or more vines, if I can get them to align smoothly.

My downstairs is still a work in progress and will be rearranged eventually, though I am somewhat happy with the kitchen area. I have a lot of little tables in a row along the walls, but they're not pictured clearly. Under the actual platform I'm storing some basic stations and it looks quite boring. The upstairs came out how I wanted it to be (platform notwithstanding).

3qp9hvpcl05n.png
    1zaqq9agsdza.png
    cbl7sanzkysv.png
    p2t6az2y9qdp.png

Edited by Khenarthi on August 16, 2017 8:51PM
    PC-EU
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actualy used those rough flat bricks you get from a basic vendor https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/rough-block-stone-slab/ to build almost cobblestone like floor with matching rounded ramp and then lined vines from malabal tor over it. its hell on item limit and can be fiddly to place, but if you are going for a more organic look, the not so straight surfaces actualy add to it. and... its cheap :P (and thing about space, at least snugpod has no garden to decorate, so there's a tiny bit more leeway there)
    Edited by Linaleah on August 16, 2017 8:44PM
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Khenarthi

imgur.com/a/OoG3P

Some raw pics of my platform. Still a work in progress so not filling the thread with pics :p

edit: just saw your pics, nice nature art gallery you have there.
    I decorate my homes a lot with sound. The ambiance sound they have will kind of rule the type of thing I will be doing there. Snugpod as a jungle kind of sound, so i made a little jungle in there.
    Edited by Arciris on August 16, 2017 9:43PM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I used an Argonian Lattice for an ordinary looking kind of ladder. I have a dry docked boat and use the lattice to get onto the boat.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bathroom Snugpod version
    imgur.com/a/PEVBp

The Urinol (use with caution as a tiger is ready to ambush any who distract themselves in liberation)
    pv2b4zoifpk5.png

As i said i really liked sounds in my house. So I used the Vivec achievement fountain and hid it in a way to form a natural spring kind of thing. You can bath in the water inside, shower in the water that springs from the log. And the water ambiance sound is great.
    Outside view
    c6tl1h43l067.png

Inside view
    xwu49dkv8c7w.png

relaxing view from the inside
    ij1zazcvl20t.png

My bosmer inside of it
    0r4p0jnbs6a7.png
    Edited by Arciris on August 16, 2017 10:47PM
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SosRuvaak wrote: »
    6vo9eaz8x82a.png
    nvcuvb0486o3.png

its sad that zenimax didn't make the interiors match the exteriors, but this does a good job of making it feel more immersive.
    i have an obsession with fungus, the massive mushrooms that grow in my house are my favorite part of my house.

You did a better job at a Telvanni tower than ZOS did with their Flesh towers..
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive always wanted to use a nord chair that is halfway in the wall, so that you are sitting on the backrest part, that actually has a hole in it, very much like an old outhouse would be.
    if i had more item space i would make this into a much nicer toilet, but this is the concept.
    ieztvtprsjd7.png
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While servers are down, here's some very simple stuff I've done that looks good:

- placing a skyshard up in the sky to make a shooting star:
    1856a9k2afaf.png

- using the lower AvA furnishings to make my fishing vessel a little bit more badass:
    xm11zdbdxg77.png
    Edited by Arciris on August 18, 2017 6:54AM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While servers are down, here's some very simple stuff I've done that looks good:

- placing a skyshard up in the sky to make a shooting star:
    1856a9k2afaf.png

- using the lower AvA furnishings to make my fishing vessel a little bit more badass:
    xm11zdbdxg77.png

very nice!!
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @altemriel

Thank you :)

pictures are not so good so for the vessel: the AD flag on top is not on any of the screeshots i had. The flag has about the right size to fit there. Maybe when servers are back up i'll add another pic.
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    ive always wanted to use a nord chair that is halfway in the wall, so that you are sitting on the backrest part, that actually has a hole in it, very much like an old outhouse would be.
    if i had more item space i would make this into a much nicer toilet, but this is the concept.
    ieztvtprsjd7.png
    GENIOUS!!! I can FINALLY USE THE BATHROOM IN ESO!
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • ixie
    ixie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fireplace made from Hlaalu wall post, sillar stone, and Nord shelves

8wC83r3.jpg

PC EU

Ixie - Breton Nightblade
    Paints-With-Frogs - Argonian Nightblade
    Swee Troll - Crafter Dragonknight
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ixie wrote: »

8wC83r3.jpg

Wow, that looks really good! <3
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

8wC83r3.jpg

is that a functioning cooking pot?

its confusing why i cant place a cooking station, anywhere in my kitchen, because i dont have room for a firepit.
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • ixie
    ixie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

8wC83r3.jpg

is that a functioning cooking pot?

its confusing why i cant place a cooking station, anywhere in my kitchen, because i dont have room for a firepit.

No it's not functional, it's made up of Common Stewpot, Hanging, and a crown store Firelogs, Ashen

It would be great to have a functioning provisioning station that is more suited to have in a kitchen
    PC EU

Ixie - Breton Nightblade
    Paints-With-Frogs - Argonian Nightblade
    Swee Troll - Crafter Dragonknight
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SDslYgn.jpg

Upside down torture wheels