Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A New Race? Hmm...

• Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play as Akaviri and join the Ebonheart Pact, which drove out your kind from Tamriel, seems legit...
    PC/EU
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play as Akaviri and join the Ebonheart Pact, which drove out your kind from Tamriel, seems legit...
    ...which is why I mentioned it could make sense to have some races as "one alliance denied" setup.
    Since for this example, the pact was formed in the wake of the akaviri invasion, so they would have a pile of grudges against akaviri races... but the dominion or covenant would care little, and the ruins of the empire might actually still remember their more amiable history with people from mysteriosu akavir...

Of course, one thing about the akaviri ka-po'tun I am not sure about is how similar they might be to khajiit... or more specificaly, if they "could pass" and thus evade scutiny... but then, the invasion was Kamal-led, and the people of akavir seems to be split among the four races, kamal attack tang-mo every summer, tang-mo cannot decide who they hate more, snakes or snow demons, ka-po'tun consider tsaesci their greatest enemies, tang-mo and ka-po'tun are occasional allies... all the info we have on the invasion decribes akaviri as "scaly" and we know from the lore it was led by Ada'Soom Dir-Kamal... that would indicate that the "akaviri" of the invasion were mostly Kamal and Tsaesci, which could leave monkeypeople and tigerpeople unaffected by the pact grudges... enemy of my enemy and all that, yes?

Just like the dominion races have reason to hate and distrust maormer, but other alliances have had no agressive contact with them, and thus might not bat an eye, or in many cases might not even recognize that "pale high elf" was actually a sea elf instead for that matter.

Or the covenant races might hate reachmen after the events in glenumbra or bangkorai, for committing "unnatural atrocities" with their strange blood magic, blah, blah, -insert breton religions fluff rant about the divines and how reachmen are all baby sacrificing monsters- :p

Same for inclusive races - unlike imperials who once crown-unlocked can join anywhere, some races might be less centrally placed to go wherever they please. For example, black marsh races like kothringi and lilmothiit might be limited to dominion and pact, due to them being the closest. Of course, an contrary argument might be made for just the opposite - that they would be denied by those two alliances due to "gah, plague carrier!" and thus find refugee only in the covenant...

Imga if they were added would -definitely- only be available for the dominion, since they are all about the, uhm, ape-ing the high elves.

And any akaviri races not hated by the pact might be "pact only" since akavir is to the east, which is the pacts side of tamriel... (which might be an interescting split - akaviri races, tang-mo and ka-po'tun pact only due to geography, tsaesci and kamal non-pact-only due to history...)

Of course, the adventurers pack would remove all those restrictions. That's what it does after all.
  • Fingolfinn01
    Fingolfinn01
    ✭✭✭✭
    sea elves or dwarfs would get my vote. Though would another new class be better
    PC-NA
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KaiVox22 wrote: »
    Say no to furries

• Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see Dwarves, Gnomes and Halfings.

I'm sure there are creative ways to make them lore friendly.

For example, a large dwemer city that survived the 'extinction'

Edited by Shadow_Viper_vX on May 1, 2017 2:01PM
  • wakeyjimb16_ESO
    wakeyjimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    There aren't too many races around in the more established lore that would meet general criteria required to be viable. Presumably they would have to be;

A. Humanoid to a greater or lesser extent. Devs aren't going to want to have to create completely new Player Character skeleton models and sync them with the skill/weapon animations.

B. Present in enough numbers to be tangible as a separate 'race' demographic as a Player Character rather than simply a unique individual. The Vestige is special because they're the Vestige, not because they're the last of their kind in terms of race and civilization.

Potential options (not that I think we're likely to get other races whilst we could be getting much more expansion into different Daedric plains and areas of Tamriel not yet seen) are probably limited to;

Dwemer; highly unlikely imo; too much uproar and their mystery is so much of the appeal. Whilst there are potentially a handful more Dwemer who didn't disappear, they're not going to be in enough numbers to be viable.

Ancient Falmer; 'Possibly' survived/didn't devolve in enough numbers to have formed pockets of hidden settlements in Tamriel. Dawnguard offers the idea this could be the case but similar issue re. numbers to the Dwemer.

Akaviri (of some variety): may or may not have Humanoid races (probably some) though what exactly the term refers to is a matter of debate. There are at least 4 known diverse races and I honestly don't think they'll be touched 'on screen' as part of eso until they're shown 'if ever' in one of the single player games.

Maormer and Forsaken; actually, all things considered these two are probably the most viable. Already have models for them in game, have the numbers and the interest in Tamriel to fill a full race. Obviously would need some expansion of the Alliance set up to accommodate either of them but I'd consider them the least problematic. Forsaken Warden anyone?
    Edited by wakeyjimb16_ESO on May 1, 2017 2:17PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go and find an AD&D or LotR based MMO? ;)
    No, there aren't. Just like there isn't really a "creative" lore friendly way to have asari in the star wars universe, or twi'leks on a federation starship, or romulans in mass effect. Different universes - different races.
    ...which we -know- didn't happen from the lore. For one, the dwemer "extinction" was planewide, all of them, everywhere in mundus, gone in an instant. Not some localized disaster that some far off outpost could survive. For another, we know from the records in TES games that take place in a millenia, that only one dwemer survived, and no other had been found in all that time, so no surviving city was unearthed in that time period beetween ESO and TES:Skyrim.

However, that being said... there may be dwarves in ESO.
    Tyrion Lannister style dwarves. Which could also be called gnomes or halflings, depending on the wit of the one referring to them.
    If they ever sell a "structural unlock - dwarfism" in the crown store, which would actually be cool, I could see how people might want to play a Tyrion-powered mage or something... though I kinda suspect it might mess with the animations made for normal sized characters if anyone tried going for fighter, so I guess closest you get might be a stocky bosmer (horror story in two words? "Fat Bosmer" Thuse who know their green pact lore will understand... ;) ).
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...which we -know- didn't happen from the lore. For one, the dwemer "extinction" was planewide, all of them, everywhere in mundus, gone in an instant. Not some localized disaster that some far off outpost could survive. For another, we know from the records in TES games that take place in a millenia, that only one dwemer survived, and no other had been found in all that time, so no surviving city was unearthed in that time period beetween ESO and TES:Skyrim.

Depending on how you read some of the stuff from Kirkbride (and Yagrum Bagarn's dialog), the implication is the Dwarven extinction was transdimensional. Taking any Dwarves wandering around in other planes with it.
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snow elf - Max magic 6% - Magic Recovery 21% - Increase spell damage by 4% :) Or whatever you want it to be.
    The Flyers
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No becouse, in the second Era the Akaviri were destroyed (they were called as serpent,monkey and tiger people)
    and there is actually a dog-wolf race as the Khajiit Lorewise, but they are so rare
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ayleids - are long gone by this time, you can meet the last of their kind in the course of the main story. But as players, nope, the races remains have long since ben assimilated into other elven races (mostly altmer, since they were most likely to give any alessian-rebellion fleeing ayleids shelter throughout tamriel history)
    NOPE.

Ironically, this is one of the few I'd hold up as slightly possible. The Ayleid empire shattered, but the actual people survived into (at least) the Second Era, probably into the Third. However, they're described as incredibly reclusive. That said, as interesting as The Wild Elves is, I'm not sure I actually believe it, given we've had free reign over Cyrodiil in two games (Oblivion and Online), and I've never seen anything in game suggesting the modern Alylieds actually exist. I mean, that's kinda the point to their behavior, but still.
    Edited by starkerealm on May 1, 2017 3:44PM
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭
    "New" races are impossible due to lore.

But there still are a few races that are in the lore, and could become crown bought player races.
    Unfortunately for the lupine lovers, no definitive wolf race.
    Let's review all the possibilities and how possible they might be:

Maormer - sea elves are around, and going strong, as valid a player race as imperials.
    YES.

Reachmen - might be just bretons, but if the people at ZOS really wanted they could make them as slightly different offshoot race...
    YES.

Goblins - are rather primitive, but they have speech, have their own crafting style and can use magic - that sounds intelligent enough that an exceptional member of their race could be a vestige type hero of sorts.
    YES.

Imga - the man-apes of Valenwood who really want to, well, ape high elves are in the lore, but curiously absent during this time, possibly hiding somewhere from this time of troubles... but could plausibly be made into a player race...
    YES.

Akaviri - are actually four beast races, snake-scaly Tsaesci, monkey Tang-Mo, tigerish Ka-Po'Tun and "snow demon" Kamal which could mean anything from yeti to whatever, as long as they hibernate during the winter to give birth to the legends of them being "frozen solid" during that time... which might indicate an cold-blooded reptilian race, that could go well with the tales about the last invasion which was kama-driven from all I recall of the lore... (Come to think of it though, actually freezing solid and then reviving is more something I dimly recall spiders doing...) In any case, those races might be possible as player race, leftovers from the ill-fated invasion of skyrim and morrowind ten years before ESO.
    YES.

(One possibility would be having some of those races available for only some alliances... like, maormer can join covenant and pact, but not dominion because of the trouble they have with maormer invasion attempts, and akaviri could join dominion and covenant, but not pact since they are still annoyed over the invasion, and reachmen could join dominion and pact, but not covenant because they are too miffed about all the trouble they get from the reach, etc.)

Kothringi - the silver skinned humans of black marsh all died in the knarhaten flu, one way or another (undead doesn't count). But that was a mere twenty years before ESO, so there might be sone lone survivors still around... not enough to continue their race, but enough for an double price crown store race, if the powers that be decide that way...
    MAYBE.

Lilmothiit - same for the fox people of black marsh, officially died out twenty years ago, but might be good for an lone survivor or a handful around.
    MAYBE.

Sload - the slug people of the western isles have been defeated and driven from tamriel ages ago, and would not be all that suitable as player race anyhow. Maybe someday we might see them as enemies, but that's it I'd think...
    UNLIKELY.

Naga - are mentioned in the lore as beatrace in black marsh, similar to argoinains but bigger and more snakelike, and most liklely eill end up impractical as player race much like ogres or giants.
    UNLIKELY.

Ayleids - are long gone by this time, you can meet the last of their kind in the course of the main story. But as players, nope, the races remains have long since ben assimilated into other elven races (mostly altmer, since they were most likely to give any alessian-rebellion fleeing ayleids shelter throughout tamriel history)
    NOPE.

Falmer - the ice elves of old are gone and done, their blind descendants roam the dwemer ruins beneath skyrim and are likely way to bestial at this time to be more vialble as player race then, say, zombies...
    NOPE.

Chimer - are dunmer now.
    NOPE.

Yokudans - are redguards now.
    NOPE.

Nedes/Atmorans - are nords now. Or bretons. Or imperials.
    NOPE.

Dwemer - are all gone save one and that one is the last living dwarf...
    DOUBLE NOPE.

Dremora - are effectively demons in the TES lore, and would but be viable as any sort of player race in the world of tamriel - even the most hardened quest giver would run in terror from them, and ask other adventurers to kill the daedra, vendors would refuse to deal with them and run instead, and the city guard would attack them at sight. Not to mention, the mainstory would make a LOT less sense this way. (even though it would be sooo nifty if they ever made a TES game where you can play daedric races through all the planes of oblivion, and enter mundus as "hostile world" questing area to do the bidding of your daedric prince or when summoned by a mortal... ;) But alas, not this game.)
    TRIPLE NOPE.

...so, I think that was all roughly player-sized humanoid races I could recall off the top pf my head...

You forgot goblins.

... TES "Dwarves" are perfectly normal sized bearded elves. With a culture based on logic, cruelty, and a whole lot of magic-tech steam-punk.

These are not the dwarves you are looking for.
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine goblins if they don't do some variation on an existing race (such as Reachmen). However, I don't see a goblin being killed, ending up in Coldharbour and set free to save the world. That would be one special goblin that isn't killed on sight everywhere. Though it would be interesting to have their own into tutorial where the three Alliances need his help to get some tribe that has something needed to their side. Maybe a decree could go out across the alliance this particular goblin will not be attacked on sight. Nah, we'll probably get Maomer.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zarkeson wrote: »
    So to start, ALOT of people love wolves. I know people(including I) would love this... a wolf race! ZOS must add this! This would rival the khajiit race(cat/dog). Sure ZOS may say "there are werewolves", but hell it's limited and they look messed up. We need handsome anthropomorphic wolves! Not a hard thing to do! Customers like us must make the push!

We the people must have this integrated into our TESO gaming experience/adventure. How awesome would it be to be a wolf. Come fellow customers. Support this proposition.

I am not a great artist so I have no pictures... But I do have some fragmented lore if this may come to life. (I do admit this thread is poorly constructed but it's merely intended for a "kickstart".

The Lykaios~ coming soon(hopefully) :hushed:

No, ZOS is not obligated to add a race that doesn't fit the lore or the other several TES games at the whims of some furry.
  • StrawberryKitsune
    StrawberryKitsune
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    If there would be tons of people playing this race, then how will you explain why this race don't appear in other TES games?

How exactly are we explaining all the perfectly formed soul shriven vestiges running around saving the world from Molag Bal? You know, given that there is supposed to be one hero and all...

Issues like the one you point out and I point out are a minor technically and the other post directly answering is certainly one way of explaining it. As someone who is finding the content a little stagnant and old right now I'd be up for something like bringing Lilmothiits or Maomer just for a change of pace!
  • Victoria_Marquis
    Victoria_Marquis
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem with games based on heavy lore, they become to ridged, and eventually boaring.....
    So to break lore here is an idea, you read in game about all these different realms and realities, with the plainmeld going on what if an alternate realm rift was torn and other species was discovered that now join Tamreil?

Boom problem solved.... Still keeps within lore, but now a new race can be integrated into ESO.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a idea that I suggested before in another thread but no one really read and it wasn't entirely related so this time I will share it again. We can make both people happy, lore people and fun people.

We could have the Lilmothiit race avalible, but give people who really do not want their lore broken a solution. Put in the gameplay options to make all Lilmothiit appear as Khajiit, like a hide helmet option almost. That way the players cam have the Lilmothiit so it's a little lore friendly, but give serious lore people the option to not have their immersion broken by giving them a option to hide all Lilmothiit and make them appear as Khajiit.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But there still are a few races that are in the lore, and could become crown bought player races.

Maormer - sea elves are around, and going strong, as valid a player race as imperials.
    YES.

Reachmen - might be just bretons, but if the people at ZOS really wanted they could make them as slightly different offshoot race...
    YES.

Goblins - are rather primitive, but they have speech, have their own crafting style and can use magic - that sounds intelligent enough that an exceptional member of their race could be a vestige type hero of sorts.
    YES.

Imga - the man-apes of Valenwood who really want to, well, ape high elves are in the lore, but curiously absent during this time, possibly hiding somewhere from this time of troubles... but could plausibly be made into a player race...
    YES.

Akaviri - are actually four beast races, snake-scaly Tsaesci, monkey Tang-Mo, tigerish Ka-Po'Tun and "snow demon" Kamal which could mean anything from yeti to whatever, as long as they hibernate during the winter to give birth to the legends of them being "frozen solid" during that time... which might indicate an cold-blooded reptilian race, that could go well with the tales about the last invasion which was kama-driven from all I recall of the lore... (Come to think of it though, actually freezing solid and then reviving is more something I dimly recall spiders doing...) In any case, those races might be possible as player race, leftovers from the ill-fated invasion of skyrim and morrowind ten years before ESO.
    YES.

(One possibility would be having some of those races available for only some alliances... like, maormer can join covenant and pact, but not dominion because of the trouble they have with maormer invasion attempts, and akaviri could join dominion and covenant, but not pact since they are still annoyed over the invasion, and reachmen could join dominion and pact, but not covenant because they are too miffed about all the trouble they get from the reach, etc.)

Kothringi - the silver skinned humans of black marsh all died in the knarhaten flu, one way or another (undead doesn't count). But that was a mere twenty years before ESO, so there might be sone lone survivors still around... not enough to continue their race, but enough for an double price crown store race, if the powers that be decide that way...
    MAYBE.

Lilmothiit - same for the fox people of black marsh, officially died out twenty years ago, but might be good for an lone survivor or a handful around.
    MAYBE.

Sload - the slug people of the western isles have been defeated and driven from tamriel ages ago, and would not be all that suitable as player race anyhow. Maybe someday we might see them as enemies, but that's it I'd think...
    UNLIKELY.

Naga - are mentioned in the lore as beatrace in black marsh, similar to argoinains but bigger and more snakelike, and most liklely eill end up impractical as player race much like ogres or giants.
    UNLIKELY.

NOPE.

Falmer - the ice elves of old are gone and done, their blind descendants roam the dwemer ruins beneath skyrim and are likely way to bestial at this time to be more vialble as player race then, say, zombies...
    NOPE.

Chimer - are dunmer now.
    NOPE.

NOPE.

NOPE.

DOUBLE NOPE.

Dremora - are effectively demons in the TES lore, and would but be viable as any sort of player race in the world of tamriel - even the most hardened quest giver would run in terror from them, and ask other adventurers to kill the daedra, vendors would refuse to deal with them and run instead, and the city guard would attack them at sight. Not to mention, the mainstory would make a LOT less sense this way. (even though it would be sooo nifty if they ever made a TES game where you can play daedric races through all the planes of oblivion, and enter mundus as "hostile world" questing area to do the bidding of your daedric prince or when summoned by a mortal... ;) But alas, not this game.)
    TRIPLE NOPE.

...so, I think that was all roughly player-sized humanoid races I could recall off the top pf my head...

You forgot goblins.

And the Dreugh

Anyways, I personally think the strongest contenders to be a new race in future TES games are:

- The Reachmen: given how they were expanded upon in this game (offshoot of the Bretons with their own culture and customs) I think they would make an interesting choice for a new playable race
    - Imga: although in this game it would be rather difficult since they all went to Falinesti to await the end of the Alliance War before it disappeared, vanished without a trace (Future DLC perhaps?)

Both the Maormer and the Sload would also be interesting races, but they are not native to Tamriel so I don't really see them getting added...
    Edited by Tryxus on May 1, 2017 6:54PM
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally it's just a shame they made a fox race and just killed it off. Yes I know people hate furries and I am not even one myself but just because it's a animal doesn't mean it's furry related, it can just be cool! And they killed it off lol, just seems like a shame.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't and shouldn't break the lore until you've used to lore up. I don't think that's the case. I know its not the case.
  • FoulSnowpaw
    FoulSnowpaw
    ✭✭✭
    "Lore" is a body of knowledge/traditions passed throughout time. Time is ever subject to change.
    Those who control the present control the past. Those who control the past control the future.
    Therefore no storyline is limited to flat and absolute progression. A new discovery easily alters our perception of time. Such are the ways of even modern historians. Lore is the same. Lore is sequence of stories collected throughout time; it is a timeline, therefore stories are easily integrated as found in light of discovery. Lore is not something solid and unmovable.
    And it definitely should not hinder progress of new inspiration(Craglorn was rather "new").
    So consider that. Lore is collection of stories, not a solid foundation of time space. Collections grow as much as libraries do. New stories come as they deem so. Much like Native American Lore; each day a new story is made and easily becomes a legacy.
    This is to point out the issue of lore that some people do not understand. I believe people are reasonable, and are willing to understand.
    ZOS can add whatever they please whenever they please. Look at the nerfs in Morrowind update. They don't care if people quit because they know that in order to gain the greater good, some people fall out. Time always progresses. All aspects evolve with or without us; we are to adapt to those changes without further ado.
    And the hate that people have of this "furry" thing. Whatever that really groups people in, and the common misinformation that follows. To like an animal is really normal; a lot of people have pets, stuffed animals, and entertainment involving some animal. If you have a girlfriend you are probably forced to love animals. Loving animals makes you look better, because you care for creatures other than self. A furry merely means to an animal with fur. Just because we adore fur doesn't make us odd. Hair is weird. Everything is weird if you don't know. Uncertainty is weakness. Certainty is strength. At least we know what we love; no need to hate; be nice and friendly.
    This post was made to clear a few things(no I don't care if you are continuing to be closed minded), as it is good to understand various perspectives and values. Be open minded. That makes things productive.
    The purpose of adding a new race or races is not my intent to break lore. I have in mind to expand lore. And remember this is only an idea, a proposition; if you disagree that's fine, but please do not make it personal. To me, it would be nice to have a larger range of races to become, as a race in TESO reflects our character. It somewhat defines who we are. For example if you play a Nord you are most likely friendly and hearty; I see most Nords become tanks to protect their allies. If you choose a race for stats, that's ok. If you play a "dremora"(morph) you like to be mischievous; I know you who keeps throwing mud at everyone! Because of a race's background do we consider them more than others; we choose more what resembles us.
    The wolf is my character. Playful, hunter, fearless. A werewolf merely satisfies; I am quite orderly and not a savage beast. We should all have a proper representation of our character in TESO. That is lore. Character building, story building, legend making. Roleplaying.
    The call is simple. Give us our character. Let us be what and who we are. No matter the oppositions, it is at least considered and known deep within our subconscious. And I agree with those who call for the multitudes of races to addition in TESO. Just want the "playable ones"(it would be odd for, say a big bear race, to teleport strike...).
    If you continue to hate, so be it. Ridicule won't stop me. There are those who love and are open minded.

Thanks for participating in this forum thread productively! ;D

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So to start, ALOT of people love wolves. I know people(including I) would love this... a wolf race! ZOS must add this! This would rival the khajiit race(cat/dog). Sure ZOS may say "there are werewolves", but hell it's limited and they look messed up. We need handsome anthropomorphic wolves! Not a hard thing to do! Customers like us must make the push!

We the people must have this integrated into our TESO gaming experience/adventure. How awesome would it be to be a wolf. Come fellow customers. Support this proposition.

I am not a great artist so I have no pictures... But I do have some fragmented lore if this may come to life. (I do admit this thread is poorly constructed but it's merely intended for a "kickstart".

It sounds like fun and there might have been races as you consider but they've long since left Tamriel or were killed off. The closest to what you want are the Lilmothiit (spelling?) and they were a Fox-people. While there might be a few stragglers of this race they have mostly died off due to the same disease and warfare that destroyed those steely skinned people of Shadowfen known as the Kothringi. Any vestige of Kothringi heritage based on lore would probably be among the Imperial race. In short I would simply state that we are in the wrong Era to have such a race, given the history of future games. Future history of the series still limits what can be done now unfortunately.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This game needs another beast race prefer something cooler and more graceful looking.

Anything that is not Nord or Dunmer is a beast race, how many more do you need?

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wolf race is not too likely. Lilmothiit is a reasonable choice, and maybe they can be expanded to include more wolf-like breeds.

The Lilmothiit are believed to be extinct, wiped out by Knahaten Flu because there has not been a surviving record of them being seen since the Flu. The second era war have few surviving records though, which is why ZoS has so much freedom, lore-wise, and if any Lilmothiit were seen, then it's likely no record of them survived and no accurate tales of them were passed down during this time. It is very feasible for the Lilmothiit to be added, and hopefully with some very interesting and well-thought out story on why they're not seen after this era, and rarely seen at all. (Origin story?)

The Lilmothiit should be added similar to the Imperials, with no ties to any faction. I don't imagine they'd have any interest in the war, and probably would be more interested in their surviving members leaving Tamriel.
    Edited by WhitePawPrints on May 2, 2017 12:20AM
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -long post that I do not wish to expand the page with again, scroll up to post #143-

@Zarkeson Sorry but, what?
    - Craglorn is 'new'
    Locations and their names can be missing or changed easily, having an area of the map make an appearance when it is under a different name in-future (sp games) is no issue at all so long as the 'future' sources make no hardened claims of a location being a particular way in this past time. Craglorn is new, but is nothing jarring. A slice of the map is not comparable to injecting a race that would suddenly be all over the map(players) and inexplicably missing and unrecorded in-future.
    - ZOS can do whatever they want (citing nerfs)
    The lorebooks do not announce that once upon a time the Templar's spear shards restored a certain amount of stamina after being lifted from the ground by an ally. That would be weird. ZOS can certainly play with the lore (a bit too much in some cases), and it's inevitably going to make less sense than usual because MMO, but comparing mechanical balance changes to this doesn't really hold up.
    - furries
    I'm not clear as to whether you are responding to the people calling this 'furry' as a furry yourself or not, but your explanation isn't going to mean anything to them if they even come back to read it. As someone who fancies himself a 'furry', I do not think pointing out that the word means something along the lines of 'thing that has fur' is helpful or descriptive of what is being referred to. Your best bet is just not responding to that sort of comment, if you don't like them. :p
    - not wanting to 'break' lore, wanting to 'expand' it
    To be frank, you can 'expand' a balloon by blowing more air into it, or by jamming a pole into the entrance and stretching it out. One of those choices distorts the original usage and form of the balloon, the way one thinks of it when they perform the action doesn't really change that. In this case, at least. A decrease in variety is the price we pay for a more cohesive setting crafted to hold itself together. TES isn't the most consistent or serious series, but there's a easily seen line between it and say a lobby in a game like SecondLife where things just... are.
    - Give us our character.
    If you think it's rough liking wolves and wishing to play as them, imagine being someone that doesn't want to play a canine, or a feline, or a variety of bird, or dragon... I've never once played a game where my favorite sort of animal was a playable character, as a feral beast or anthropomorphic creature. It's never bothered me, but I certainly keep a bit of an eye out for it. One can do whatever they wish when creating a 'character' for themselves. Fitting a character into a pre-made world restricts you, gives you things that are in the process of existing and constraints to mold them within. I think it's fun trying to adapt a character to a world. :p
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on how you read some of the stuff from Kirkbride (and Yagrum Bagarn's dialog), the implication is the Dwarven extinction was transdimensional. Taking any Dwarves wandering around in other planes with it.
    Actually if that were the case, he would have been taken as well. Since the only thing that we know about how he remained was that he was on another plane during that time...

YES.

YES.

YES.

YES.

YES.

MAYBE.

MAYBE.

UNLIKELY.

UNLIKELY.

NOPE.

NOPE.

Chimer - are dunmer now.
    NOPE.

NOPE.

NOPE.

DOUBLE NOPE.

TRIPLE NOPE.

You forgot goblins...
    Nope, look again, they are there, after Reachmen, before Imga...
    A wolf race is not too likely. Lilmothiit is a reasonable choice, and maybe they can be expanded to include more wolf-like breeds.

The Lilmothiit are believed to be extinct, wiped out by Knahaten Flu because there has not been a surviving record of them being seen since the Flu. The second era war have few surviving records though, which is why ZoS has so much freedom, lore-wise, and if any Lilmothiit were seen, then it's likely no record of them survived and no accurate tales of them were passed down during this time. It is very feasible for the Lilmothiit to be added, and hopefully with some very interesting and well-thought out story on why they're not seen after this era, and rarely seen at all. (Origin story?)

The Lilmothiit should be added similar to the Imperials, with no ties to any faction. I don't imagine they'd have any interest in the war, and probably would be more interested in their surviving members leaving Tamriel.
    Actually, we know they are "mostly extinct" at this time.

Since we have our lore from two viewpoints, the one in ESO, and the one from the other TES games, set 800-1400 or so years after ESO... and thus we know that in all those centuries, there have been no mentions of the lilmothiit surviving, no mentions of anyone encountering one after the knarhaten flu, but we do have only mentions of their extinction during it. Also, that prison you visit in Shadowfen? Used to be a large lilmothiit settlement if i recall my lore correctly...

However, an extinction is not usually an "poof, gone" event... and the knarhatan flu was only 20 years before the ESO time. So, as I mentioned, there could quite plausibly be some remaining ones wandering around... who were not home in black marsh when the flu hit... too few to sustain a viable population, but enough for some "last survivor" type player characters.
  • FoulSnowpaw
    FoulSnowpaw
    ✭✭✭
    -long post that I do not wish to expand the page with again, scroll up to post #143-

@Zarkeson Sorry but, what?
    - Craglorn is 'new'
    Locations and their names can be missing or changed easily, having an area of the map make an appearance when it is under a different name in-future (sp games) is no issue at all so long as the 'future' sources make no hardened claims of a location being a particular way in this past time. Craglorn is new, but is nothing jarring. A slice of the map is not comparable to injecting a race that would suddenly be all over the map(players) and inexplicably missing and unrecorded in-future.
    - ZOS can do whatever they want (citing nerfs)
    The lorebooks do not announce that once upon a time the Templar's spear shards restored a certain amount of stamina after being lifted from the ground by an ally. That would be weird. ZOS can certainly play with the lore (a bit too much in some cases), and it's inevitably going to make less sense than usual because MMO, but comparing mechanical balance changes to this doesn't really hold up.
    - furries
    I'm not clear as to whether you are responding to the people calling this 'furry' as a furry yourself or not, but your explanation isn't going to mean anything to them if they even come back to read it. As someone who fancies himself a 'furry', I do not think pointing out that the word means something along the lines of 'thing that has fur' is helpful or descriptive of what is being referred to. Your best bet is just not responding to that sort of comment, if you don't like them. :p
    - not wanting to 'break' lore, wanting to 'expand' it
    To be frank, you can 'expand' a balloon by blowing more air into it, or by jamming a pole into the entrance and stretching it out. One of those choices distorts the original usage and form of the balloon, the way one thinks of it when they perform the action doesn't really change that. In this case, at least. A decrease in variety is the price we pay for a more cohesive setting crafted to hold itself together. TES isn't the most consistent or serious series, but there's a easily seen line between it and say a lobby in a game like SecondLife where things just... are.
    - Give us our character.
    If you think it's rough liking wolves and wishing to play as them, imagine being someone that doesn't want to play a canine, or a feline, or a variety of bird, or dragon... I've never once played a game where my favorite sort of animal was a playable character, as a feral beast or anthropomorphic creature. It's never bothered me, but I certainly keep a bit of an eye out for it. One can do whatever they wish when creating a 'character' for themselves. Fitting a character into a pre-made world restricts you, gives you things that are in the process of existing and constraints to mold them within. I think it's fun trying to adapt a character to a world. :p

Beating around the bush. Unclear objective. People should really know what lore is. Lore is a collection therefore can expand. Lore seems to be the main "excuse" for people, but they do not understand it's components.
    You seem worried the world would be full of a possible new race. Apparently it's not desired by many so ease up. And you agree with me that craglorn is new and out of the blue. Such is lore ever adding new discoveries. New things are not the problem. It's the skill of integration; having to skillfully add new developments.
    ZOS can do whatever they want yep. It's an analogy, perhaps a weak one, but you do get what it means. Don't beat around the bush. If ZOS has a goal, their goal is implemented with or without the support of "fans"; and for the greater achievement of development and/or progress. Read the entire paragraph, which concludes this so.
    Furry. You can clearly see then this weak of excuse of furry being their offense against this new race idea. And contradictorily, do not comment on my comment of furries if you do not like it. Simple as that.
    Expansion not breaking; horrible analogy because balloons are nothing compared to lore. Lore is a collection, a library, which can expand infinitely. Again beating around the bush, and no clear goal of you assertion, but I assume change is really something people are afraid of. Like all things, whether wanting or not(look at today folks), a trial is run and we adjust with those changes. Anything out of line is easily and without effort, broken. Like a bear using teleport strike... NO lol.
    Give us character:
    If you don't want to play as an anthro race, well there's already humans and elves. I don't see what you're trying to prove. Perhaps trying to say that you live with what you have; that is good and I respect that. But assuredly it is good to push for more satisfactory desires; a man got a decent home, but he wanted a better home. I am looking for the better. Perhaps it is fine to play as something you are lukewarm about, but certainly not satisfied.
    The idea here is to see TES much more diverse and expansive in its world space. It is never too hard to amend new things.
    Oh and, I mean no intentional attack to your statements, I am merely responding to them to gain a better understanding.
  • FoulSnowpaw
    FoulSnowpaw
    ✭✭✭
    @TheShadowScout
    Precisely. The possibilities are always certain, for mere eye witnesses are ever uncertain. The probabilities of survival are in the favor of all things; adaptation and migration. It can somewhat be compared to today's epidemics; no matter how fatal the blow of death and the spread efficiency, there is always a surviving remnant.
    Although the outlook of a remaining few may come to mind, every population grows over time, and certainly there are always those who travel outside of their homelands.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually if that were the case, he would have been taken as well. Since the only thing that we know about how he remained was that he was on another plane during that time...

From what I recall, the reason he was spared is, he was in transit at the exact moment the others disappeared. So while every other Dwemer was either somewhere on Mundus or a plane of Oblivion, he wasn't in any of those places at the precise moment.

To be fair, I might have overthought this at the time, and here we are 14 years later.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with this is the kinds of things people are prone to remembering, not that there's no surviving records. It's one thing to go, "oh, hey, there's a hero over there, they're a Breton/Imperial/Altmer/Whatever," which is a race they see every day, so they're less likely to make a special note of it.

When that random hero is of a race they never or almost never seen, like, say, a Falmer, they are far more likely to make a note of it, meaning it becomes substantially more likely that some records will survive, saying, "hey, did you see that weird Snow Elf?" At that point, it's far less likely that all of the records would be lost, and you'd see reports popping up in letters, people's journals, and in other places.

This also carries over even with fairly common races operating outside their normal range of behavior, "Hey, you won't believe what I just heard. Apparently there's a goblin trying to save the King. Wacky, right?"