Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A New Race? Hmm...

• KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... Honestly, those saying "lore says it can't happen" are forgetting what setting they are talking about. Hell, just ask the snow elves. Introduced as an extinct race that no one knew exactly what happened to in Morrowind, then comes Skyrim having very blatant and well known snow elf decedents, and THEN comes its expansion that just has an out and out snow elf show up... And all in all by this point the setting is primed to have a whole freaking colony of them pop out of the woodwork at the drop of a hat.

And that isn't even getting into things like the abundant time travel, reality breaks, or simply a here to unknown group of X or Y wondering in from oblivion... Hell, the bloody dwarves could pop right back into existence at any bloody moment, and that would be 100% lore friendly, as no one truly knows exactly what happened to them.

@Shgon_Dunstan Two, 2, I repeat TWO pre-falmer Snow Elves appear. One is an obscenely powerful vampire and the other is blessed by Auriel. They're also both male. Extinct, they are indeed.

Yes, Bethesda could decide TES VI stars the Dwemer returning to tamriel with a cyberpunk-style city that hovers over the alik'r desert and that the protagonist has to travel with a quirky dwemer sidekick to akivir to fight off the cyber-dragon apocalypse before it reaches their home continent, and also idk danni devito is there as the only dwarf-sized dwemer. It would then be lore-friendly. That does not mean that it would be fitting, or appropriate, or appreciated by long-time fans.

Some of us like it when our entertainment takes itself a smidge serious. At least a little bit.

I don't know. A return of the Dwarves with a floating city, while they try to conquer the world using their steampunk tech would fit the setting perfectly. You still probably wouldn't be allowed to play as a Dwemer, but still.

@starkerealm That's a bit less silly take on the idea than I'd written out, I think if the Dwemer ever do make a return it will be bombastic and possibly the final game in the series. Bit long-term to be a twist like the introducting of magic and slow unveil of the world beyond in the storyline of Dishonored, but I do like me a cyberpunk/steampunk setting so it wouldn't be the worst result for me personally. :p
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There would be absolute uproar, I'm a relative newcomer as I joined the world of elder scrolls when skyrim was released and I have to admit, I would be in the torch and pitch fork wielding mob as it descended upon them

On a side note, imagine the potential storm and fury if they brought back dwemer :D
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: and just to be 100% clear on my standing on such... The ONLY way the Dwemer as a full on people are showing up in ESO is purely by the power of the almighty dollar... THEY and their disappearance are about as close as TES has to an overarching plot thread. Hell, IIRC it was even mentioned in Arena. I just REALLY doubt they would even allow it to come to a head in anything but one of the main games...

Uh... it's in Morrowind. As in The Elder Scrolls 3, not the expansion for ESO. The dwarves were derping around with the Heart of Lorkhan in an attempt to make themselves gods (apotheosis is a pretty major theme in that game), and either got it right and vanished, or failed, and vanished. It's the same way the Tribunal (and Dagoth Ur) get their powers.
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭
    There would be absolute uproar, I'm a relative newcomer as I joined the world of elder scrolls when skyrim was released and I have to admit, I would be in the torch and pitch fork wielding mob as it descended upon them

On a side note, imagine the potential storm and fury if they brought back dwemer :D

It's not really all THAT bad so long as they don't bring back THE dwemer. Hell, IIRC the entire reason that the last living dwemer didn't vanish with the rest of them is because he was in a realm of oblivion at the time... It is honestly more then a little hard to believe that he was the ONLY dwemer in such at the time. I mean... There are tons of the other race running around such, so why only one dwemer?
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedric would be better
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Daedric would be better

... Technically we already ARE playing one, no matter which race we pick... And you can't exactly make a vestige out of a deadra to begin with. It would be like trying to make milk out of milk. Just... Why?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never going to happen, elderscrolls lore is decades old.

Yep. All the races are in previous TES games. There has never been a playable wolf race. Making up a new race and saying Zos can pretend it comes from another area of Nirn is not fragmented lore.

Further, OP provides no reasoning for adding it other than he/she wants is. The stam based race choices are sufficient as it is.

Technically, no. The Imperials were a new addition with Morrowind. Before that, the Imperial Cyods were politically distinct, but they weren't their own codified race until TES3. (They might have been implied to be a different race in Daggerfall, I honestly don't remember.)
  • iord_stryker
    iord_stryker
    ✭✭✭
    Akaviri races and zones would make a baddass future expansion
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not really all THAT bad so long as they don't bring back THE dwemer. Hell, IIRC the entire reason that the last living dwemer didn't vanish with the rest of them is because he was in a realm of oblivion at the time... It is honestly more then a little hard to believe that he was the ONLY dwemer in such at the time. I mean... There are tons of the other race running around such, so why only one dwemer?

My faint recollection is, it's not that he was in a plane of oblivion, so much as he was traveling between them at the exact moment the dwarves beamed up.
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭

My faint recollection is, it's not that he was in a plane of oblivion, so much as he was traveling between them at the exact moment the dwarves beamed up.

Well then... IIRC dwemer ghost are a thing, right? To say nothing of all those soulgem they used to power things. So say the Worm King just REALLY wanted to make a dwemer vestige, and so put in the work to get his hands on a dwemer soul to do it with?
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well then... IIRC dwemer ghost are a thing, right? To say nothing of all those soulgem they used to power things. So say the Worm King just REALLY wanted to make a dwemer vestige, and so put in the work to get his hands on a dwemer soul to do it with?

@Shgon_Dunstan If there was a soulgem containing the soul of a dwemer, there would be no body to 'shrive' of the soul to leave a soul-shriven behind. :p
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would imply that Mannimarco cares enough about his human sacrifices to try to make something weird like that, then immediately forget and stuff it in the general population. I mean, he's kinda a derp, but that's way less competent than he's supposed to be.
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Oh for the love of all things holy, please no. No to any non-lore race, by default. And even if adding a new race to the lore were an option, I'd much prefer them to give us a playable race we've already heard/read about throughout the games. Like the Lamia, Minotaurs, Imga or Lilmothiit. They would give much more depth to the TES lore universe than just adding wolf-men.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭

That would imply that Mannimarco cares enough about his human sacrifices to try to make something weird like that, then immediately forget and stuff it in the general population. I mean, he's kinda a derp, but that's way less competent than he's supposed to be.

AFAIK he doesn't actually make the vestiges. He just sends the souls. Whereas I'm not sure immortal deadra would even CARE what kind of moral you are. Then the game starts right after you are made, meaning he didn't have the time to retrieve you.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see it now:

"I Hircine, Lord of the manbeasts, have created: A man-wolf."

*Manwolf looks around, starts licking itself.*

"No, stop that! That's undignified!"

*Sniffs excrement.*

"No! I FORBID IT!"

*Starts Eating*

"Okay, that's it, no more man-wolves. At least the Werewolves have some dignity."
    Edited by starkerealm on May 1, 2017 6:21AM
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭
    "Wolf-men" are super easy to excuse(if NOTHING else, the endless planes of oblivion anyone?)... But I do have to agree that they would be starting with little in the way of hype going in. Would need intreasting additions to lore to build it up.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I want goblins. I mean... The little guys are basically LotR orcs who somehow got lost in Tamriel.

They are even apparently big enough to wear normal armor, as their is a quest involving someone giving them elvish armor in exchange for their services.

They would be pretty easy to excuse lore wise, but game wise... The biggest road block I guess would be just having to go back and rework dialogue to account for it. It's bad enough that next to no one notices you are a vampire. All the dirty goblin haters asking the great hero you to go and kill all the goblins could get... Uncomfortable.
    Yes, its enough of the messed up dialogues because of race or faction.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cats are awesome. Dogs suck. This is why there is no wolfrace.

Also, furries.
    Ingame:
    Ezekiel Zakriah, Redguard Nightblade

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    On a side note, I kind or need a mermaid people. Because then one of their ultimates could be Splash.
    Ingame:
    Ezekiel Zakriah, Redguard Nightblade

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These kind of threads are so pointless and tiresome to read. People stating obvious reasons on why it cannot happen, and OP keeps going relentlessly. I'm sorry OP, but you'd like to see a race added cause you think they look cool. That is the lousiest reason ever. Plus, as all the others here have said, there is no mention in the lore of a wolf race, including other continents than Tamriel. Period. The end.
    Edited by Koensol on May 1, 2017 7:17AM
  • kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zarkeson wrote: »
    So to start, ALOT of people love wolves. I know people(including I) would love this... a wolf race!

Lol Took me a little while before I realised OP didn't mean this sort of wolf race...

1116139-bigthumbnail.jpg

"I'm going to live forever..or at least die trying"

drunken Nord & Tamriel streaker since Arena

• theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only race I see them ever adding would be Maomer (sea elves). Since some of them live in/near Tamriel and it would be easy to come up with a story for why a few of them have suddenly decided to join one of the factions.

But I doubt even that will happen, at least not for a long time.
    Edited by theher0not on May 1, 2017 8:55AM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like every mmo - a new playable race is probably just a matter of time. However I would not be surprise is it would stay as an ESO - only new race and would not appear in future The Elder Scrolls games.

As far As the lore goes - there are plenty of choices:
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Race

The most obvious are:
    Dwemer - Dwarves
    Lilmothiit - fox - like beast-folk
    Sload - amphibious, slug-like beast-folk
    Imga - ape-like beast-folk
    Minotaurs - already appear in some TES games as NPC/enemies
  • Demycilian
    Demycilian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unleash the Wolverine.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for someone who will suggest humanoid snails the Sloads from Thras. Is there's something wrong with actual ten races? If they add Maormers from Pyandonea, then it will be considered as invasion. Sea elves always wanted to destroy the Tamriel. This is not independent MMORPG, but this is the The Elder Scrolls game, not WoW where they can just add pandarens. If you love furries so much, then just install one of those stupid mods to Skyrim. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53938/
    PC/EU
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lore- pfft - lore is what some sweaty fat guy is making up while eating jam donuts on his laptop. as far as I'm concerned - we re righting lore as we speak- or type rather.
    Edited by MakoFore on May 1, 2017 10:00AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MakoFore wrote: »
    lore- pfft - lore is what some sweaty fat guy is making up while eating jam donuts on his laptop. as far as I'm concerned - we re righting lore as we speak- or type rather.

It was actually a coffee and nicotine fueled bender, as I recall. And that's how we got the 36 Lessons of Vivec.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "New" races are impossible due to lore.

But there still are a few races that are in the lore, and could become crown bought player races.
    Unfortunately for the lupine lovers, no definitive wolf race.
    Let's review all the possibilities and how possible they might be:

Maormer - sea elves are around, and going strong, as valid a player race as imperials.
    YES.

Reachmen - might be just bretons, but if the people at ZOS really wanted they could make them as slightly different offshoot race...
    YES.

Goblins - are rather primitive, but they have speech, have their own crafting style and can use magic - that sounds intelligent enough that an exceptional member of their race could be a vestige type hero of sorts.
    YES.

Imga - the man-apes of Valenwood who really want to, well, ape high elves are in the lore, but curiously absent during this time, possibly hiding somewhere from this time of troubles... but could plausibly be made into a player race...
    YES.

Akaviri - are actually four beast races, snake-scaly Tsaesci, monkey Tang-Mo, tigerish Ka-Po'Tun and "snow demon" Kamal which could mean anything from yeti to whatever, as long as they hibernate during the winter to give birth to the legends of them being "frozen solid" during that time... which might indicate an cold-blooded reptilian race, that could go well with the tales about the last invasion which was kama-driven from all I recall of the lore... (Come to think of it though, actually freezing solid and then reviving is more something I dimly recall spiders doing...) In any case, those races might be possible as player race, leftovers from the ill-fated invasion of skyrim and morrowind ten years before ESO.
    YES.

(One possibility would be having some of those races available for only some alliances... like, maormer can join covenant and pact, but not dominion because of the trouble they have with maormer invasion attempts, and akaviri could join dominion and covenant, but not pact since they are still annoyed over the invasion, and reachmen could join dominion and pact, but not covenant because they are too miffed about all the trouble they get from the reach, etc.)

Kothringi - the silver skinned humans of black marsh all died in the knarhaten flu, one way or another (undead doesn't count). But that was a mere twenty years before ESO, so there might be sone lone survivors still around... not enough to continue their race, but enough for an double price crown store race, if the powers that be decide that way...
    MAYBE.

Lilmothiit - same for the fox people of black marsh, officially died out twenty years ago, but might be good for an lone survivor or a handful around.
    MAYBE.

Sload - the slug people of the western isles have been defeated and driven from tamriel ages ago, and would not be all that suitable as player race anyhow. Maybe someday we might see them as enemies, but that's it I'd think...
    UNLIKELY.

Naga - are mentioned in the lore as beatrace in black marsh, similar to argoinains but bigger and more snakelike, and most liklely eill end up impractical as player race much like ogres or giants.
    UNLIKELY.

Ayleids - are long gone by this time, you can meet the last of their kind in the course of the main story. But as players, nope, the races remains have long since ben assimilated into other elven races (mostly altmer, since they were most likely to give any alessian-rebellion fleeing ayleids shelter throughout tamriel history)
    NOPE.

Falmer - the ice elves of old are gone and done, their blind descendants roam the dwemer ruins beneath skyrim and are likely way to bestial at this time to be more vialble as player race then, say, zombies...
    NOPE.

Chimer - are dunmer now.
    NOPE.

Yokudans - are redguards now.
    NOPE.

Nedes/Atmorans - are nords now. Or bretons. Or imperials.
    NOPE.

Dwemer - are all gone save one and that one is the last living dwarf...
    DOUBLE NOPE.

Dremora - are effectively demons in the TES lore, and would but be viable as any sort of player race in the world of tamriel - even the most hardened quest giver would run in terror from them, and ask other adventurers to kill the daedra, vendors would refuse to deal with them and run instead, and the city guard would attack them at sight. Not to mention, the mainstory would make a LOT less sense this way. (even though it would be sooo nifty if they ever made a TES game where you can play daedric races through all the planes of oblivion, and enter mundus as "hostile world" questing area to do the bidding of your daedric prince or when summoned by a mortal... ;) But alas, not this game.)
    TRIPLE NOPE.

...so, I think that was all roughly player-sized humanoid races I could recall off the top pf my head...
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "New" races are impossible due to lore.

But there still are a few races that are in the lore, and could become crown bought player races.
    Unfortunately for the lupine lovers, no definitive wolf race.
    Let's review all the possibilities and how possible they might be:

Maormer - sea elves are around, and going strong, as valid a player race as imperials.
    YES.

Reachmen - might be just bretons, but if the people at ZOS really wanted they could make them as slightly different offshoot race...
    YES.

Goblins - are rather primitive, but they have speech, have their own crafting style and can use magic - that sounds intelligent enough that an exceptional member of their race could be a vestige type hero of sorts.
    YES.

Imga - the man-apes of Valenwood who really want to, well, ape high elves are in the lore, but curiously absent during this time, possibly hiding somewhere from this time of troubles... but could plausibly be made into a player race...
    YES.

Akaviri - are actually four beast races, snake-scaly Tsaesci, monkey Tang-Mo, tigerish Ka-Po'Tun and "snow demon" Kamal which could mean anything from yeti to whatever, as long as they hibernate during the winter to give birth to the legends of them being "frozen solid" during that time... which might indicate an cold-blooded reptilian race, that could go well with the tales about the last invasion which was kama-driven from all I recall of the lore... (Come to think of it though, actually freezing solid and then reviving is more something I dimly recall spiders doing...) In any case, those races might be possible as player race, leftovers from the ill-fated invasion of skyrim and morrowind ten years before ESO.
    YES.

(One possibility would be having some of those races available for only some alliances... like, maormer can join covenant and pact, but not dominion because of the trouble they have with maormer invasion attempts, and akaviri could join dominion and covenant, but not pact since they are still annoyed over the invasion, and reachmen could join dominion and pact, but not covenant because they are too miffed about all the trouble they get from the reach, etc.)

Kothringi - the silver skinned humans of black marsh all died in the knarhaten flu, one way or another (undead doesn't count). But that was a mere twenty years before ESO, so there might be sone lone survivors still around... not enough to continue their race, but enough for an double price crown store race, if the powers that be decide that way...
    MAYBE.

Lilmothiit - same for the fox people of black marsh, officially died out twenty years ago, but might be good for an lone survivor or a handful around.
    MAYBE.

Sload - the slug people of the western isles have been defeated and driven from tamriel ages ago, and would not be all that suitable as player race anyhow. Maybe someday we might see them as enemies, but that's it I'd think...
    UNLIKELY.

Naga - are mentioned in the lore as beatrace in black marsh, similar to argoinains but bigger and more snakelike, and most liklely eill end up impractical as player race much like ogres or giants.
    UNLIKELY.

Ayleids - are long gone by this time, you can meet the last of their kind in the course of the main story. But as players, nope, the races remains have long since ben assimilated into other elven races (mostly altmer, since they were most likely to give any alessian-rebellion fleeing ayleids shelter throughout tamriel history)
    NOPE.

Falmer - the ice elves of old are gone and done, their blind descendants roam the dwemer ruins beneath skyrim and are likely way to bestial at this time to be more vialble as player race then, say, zombies...
    NOPE.

Chimer - are dunmer now.
    NOPE.

Yokudans - are redguards now.
    NOPE.

Nedes/Atmorans - are nords now. Or bretons. Or imperials.
    NOPE.

Dwemer - are all gone save one and that one is the last living dwarf...
    DOUBLE NOPE.

Dremora - are effectively demons in the TES lore, and would but be viable as any sort of player race in the world of tamriel - even the most hardened quest giver would run in terror from them, and ask other adventurers to kill the daedra, vendors would refuse to deal with them and run instead, and the city guard would attack them at sight. Not to mention, the mainstory would make a LOT less sense this way. (even though it would be sooo nifty if they ever made a TES game where you can play daedric races through all the planes of oblivion, and enter mundus as "hostile world" questing area to do the bidding of your daedric prince or when summoned by a mortal... ;) But alas, not this game.)
    TRIPLE NOPE.

...so, I think that was all roughly player-sized humanoid races I could recall off the top pf my head...

That would be the case if we were talking about other TES game... but we are talking here about MMO... introducing new playable race in mmos is usually only a matter of time...

The thing is they could add one of the possible races you pointed out here or ZOS can simply "create new lore" - just for the purpose to add new race and of course get some $$$ out of it xD
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on May 1, 2017 11:40AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave TheShadowScout an "awesome" because he really knows his lore. Personally, I think it would be acceptable for ESO to use any of the races he listed as a "yes" or "maybe" as a new playable race.