The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Do not buy Crown Crates!!!

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's that sound?

ZoS execs laughing all the way to the bank with your money.
    Beta tester November 2013
    Options
  • omfgitsbatman
    omfgitsbatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »
    SickDuck wrote: »
    Crown crates a scam? Really? You don't say.

They are supposed to be. Why sell thing when you can add rng elements to keep people spending. I thought ZOS wanted to be different from all the F2p games out there but I was wrong.

You pay 400 crowns (which is bought for real money) for a single crate which contain random cosmetic items that worth at least 400 crowns. Unless saying the whole CS concept is a scam, I can't see how this qualifies.

Your right. The previous method of a set price is just as much of a scam compared to unknown price. My boss should go to his customers and tell them "I will sell you the products you want but I don't know how much it will cost you." That's brilliant.

See, but it's even worse now. "For this imaginary currency (that you buy for money) you can buy another imaginary currency, which may be enough to get you what you want". The double fake currency is used to totally erode people's sense of value... So they'll be happier to spend
    He's the healer Tamriel deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hurt his tank. Because he can heal them to full. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful rejuvinator. A Cloaked Healer.

@Omfgitsbatman PC/NA
    Ticktick-Argonian Nightblade Healer/Magicka DPS
    Tinytick- Imperial DK Tank
    Wuches Y'Shaur- V16 High Elf Sorc Magicka DPS
    Ticktator- Dunmer DK Magicka DPS
    Tick Head- Dark Elf Magicka NB DPS

GM:
    Mercs Of Sovngarde (EP/NA): AA (HM), HRC (HM), VSO (HM), VDSA, VMSA complete
    Vet Maw 4/5

Options
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭
    And how do we get others to not buy them? By pointing out on the forums that it's a bad deal? :) maybe we are going about it the right way, after all

In my opinion, no. It would be much more efficient to NOT TALK about them at all. Everything we say or do is advertising for those crates and raises people's interest around them. Buzz mechanics.
    Just go on our merry way and pretend they're not here. Don't react when other players or guildies show off their crown store stuff. Indifference is quite a powerful weapon.

What message is that sending? That they're ok and since they're not the only game doing this they will think nothing of it. That they end up with 5 consumables instead of getting anything remotely interesting will only be revealed by spending their money on those crates. Best a big pack of crates because it's "such a good deal".

indifference in terms of not spending your money, yes. But keeping people uninformed? That's the best hope for ZOS to fool people.
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crown crates are nothing more than a cash grab by ESO.

Edit: They have already started closing free speech threads down about them, wonder how long this will stay up.
    Edited by disintegr8 on December 1, 2016 8:04PM
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Options
  • ArrerBoy
    ArrerBoy
    ✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »

That was pretty clear the moment they were announced.
    Options
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, they just closed the guys thread where he talked about his friends gambling addiction and how this affected him. The reasoning was because the thread hadn't remained civil. Was probably the most civil thread on the board today. Also, didn't this thread title used to say "scam crates?" Love or hate em, that's what they are Zeni, don't try to sugarcoat it. :D
    Options
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crap like these crates have no place in a video game. I don't know when it started exactly, but why the hell can't developers just focus purely on content like they used to?

I guess that idea dies with the B2P and F2P payment models. People started bitching and complaining about about a monthly subscription (for god knows what reason. probably couldn't get a hold of their parent's credit card), and now this is the aftermath of the slippery slope. Let everyone into the game for close to no cost, then monetize everything.

Mounts, costumes, personalities.... ALL things that could easily be incorporated into the Achievement system, but that doesn't make ZOS any money. Not with the game being B2P.

I miss the days of just paying a subscription, and the dev's job was to create engaging content that brought in new customers and kept people subscribed. Now it's "what can wave in front of people that will make them want to spend $20".
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
    Options
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    After running CoA1 over 1000 times aprox. farming for a sharpened BSW sword and only finding a pair of powered ones, all I can do is laugh at crown crates
    Options
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, they just closed the guys thread where he talked about his friends gambling addiction and how this affected him. The reasoning was because the thread hadn't remained civil. Was probably the most civil thread on the board today. Also, didn't this thread title used to say "scam crates?" Love or hate em, that's what they are Zeni, don't try to sugarcoat it. :D

Yeah I was surprised about that too!
    Options
  • ArrerBoy
    ArrerBoy
    ✭✭✭

No this is what Bethesda does on its forums with TES 6 discussions: move it to a single thread so the board isn't flooded with identical topics all saying the same thing. This is the one with the most posts.
    Edited by ArrerBoy on December 1, 2016 8:11PM
    Options
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except at amazon you get what you order... there is no "get a random item" order (I HOPE).

There is still some randomness to Amazon, as witnessed by the delivery truck driver leaving a box of books dropped on the ground in a mud puddle directly under the rainspout yesterday during a heavy downpour rather than placing them on the nice convenient dry table under the 6 foot overhang/car port directly behind it, like our regular postal worker does... :s
    But in this case, Amazon will accept the return of the waterlogged books and replace them, so it's more a hassle than anything, and the only gambling is "when I will be able to wrap these for gifting". :D

Currency sinks for fake currency balance the digital economy.

Currency sinks for real currency... That's not balance, that's greed. And it's not healthy. And so I am nervous about the future of where this game is going, and who it is willing to take advantage of to get there.

Random gambling stuff is always going to be around. I get that. I still respect Think geek, even though they sell these things because you are guaranteed to get a shirt, in your selected size, at a discount... You just don't know which one. If ZOS was selling Mount Crates, Argonian Cosmetics Crates, Non-Combat Pet Crates... Heck, I might buy a few, just for the fun of it. Because it's a mystery, but you know you are getting something in a category that interests you.

But Crown Crates as set right now are basically "Useless Consumable Crates" being marketed as something other than what they are.
    Edited by SolarCat02 on December 1, 2016 8:19PM
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
    Options
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought that the Crown Crates were well executed and I was really pleased with what I got. I don't understand all of the negativity - there are far bigger things to whinge about.
    Options
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArrerBoy wrote: »

No this is what Bethesda does on its forums with TES 6 discussions: move it to a single thread so the board isn't flooded with identical topics all saying the same thing. This is the one with the most posts.

AH I see now. Shoulda went with the scam crates title. Love em or hate em theres no sense sugar coating things.
    Options
  • SickDuck
    SickDuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One crate contains at least 8 gems worth of items if converted. Top prizes cost 300 gems. That's 37.5 crates.

38 crates cost 13k crowns. There's your non-rng price.
    Edited by SickDuck on December 1, 2016 8:16PM
    Holdviola - Khira'de Regalo - Lélekvadász - Used To Be An Adventurer - Zetor - Does-Not-Give-A-Duck - Lord Sugar - Tenar Arha - Da'rinka - Violent Moon - Extreme Runner
    Options
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS wants threads like that buried, and the sooner the better.

Edit: looks like the mods are going to be very busy closing down crown crate theads. New ones keep coming and getting closed.
    Edited by JimT722 on December 1, 2016 8:20PM
    Options
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    I thought that the Crown Crates were well executed and I was really pleased with what I got. I don't understand all of the negativity - there are far bigger things to whinge about.

That's cool. I myself just want to hear ZOS talk about actual content updates. No one cares about scam boxes as long as they use that money they're draining from these folks to add actual gameplay stuff. Not a peep though. Housing doesn't count. I wanna see screens of new zones and ***. Put those tool's money to work!
    Options
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's obvious they don't want to be held responsible for people with gambling issues,

Shame on them!
    PC EU
    Options
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nyx2 wrote: »
    So, this thread is about you guys lacking the self control to either open a few crates, be dissatisfied, and not open anymore? Or simply dislike the whole idea of crown crates and not open them at all?

Or are you in fact simply angry that ZOS has included crown crates in THEIR product, THEIR game?

What kinda reasoning is that? We're their costumers and without costumers "THEIR game" will shut down. They lock away exclusive content behind RNG paywalls that just feed you with junk over and over again. They will do this with more future items and as said they depend on us paying for their content.

Except we don't get anything that we want so how is this even surprising to you? How is this ok with anyone? The only reason I could think of is that you're incredibly rich and enjoy the thought of being one of the few that ride these money bag mounts among other content. Or you really like being fooled and spend money for nothing.

Because ZOS has their right to do as they please, change their product and services as they please. As you have a right to do as you please, do be happy or angry, etc. If ZOS loses customers, that is their failure to own.

You backpaddel every time. You were *just* complaining / couldn't grasp why people are upset about these crates and now suddenly you realize that they also have to keep costumers happy with "THEIR game". We don't have to tolerate anything they do so what are we supposed to do with the information that it's "THEIR game"? It's acknowledged but quite irrelevant.

Either way you got your answer. People are angry if you want to call it that as explained in the previous comment.
    Options
  • SnubbS
    SnubbS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5k Crowns for my precious Red Pit Wolf doesn't sound too bad.

Kappa.
    Xbox NA: SnubbS
    GoW eSports player & part time ESO Pug Ball Zerger.
    GB
    Options
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SickDuck wrote: »
    Recremen wrote: »
    ArrerBoy wrote: »
    Recremen wrote: »
    The practice of selling them should be discouraged. If you aren't helping that then you're complicit in it. I don't see why this is so difficult to grasp.

Okay let me take this slowly then.

If something doesn't sell well, you pull it from the market. That is good business practice.

As of now with people buying them by the truckload, complaining about it rings hollow because it still sends the message you're willing to pay for it no matter how much you don't like it.

Incorrect, lots of us have made it clear that we'd be willing to pay for the items in the gambling boxes only if they were put up for direct purchase with crowns like how it works in the normal store. Our message is loud and clear.

But they did not put these items in the normal store - load and clear. So guess it means those people can
    a.) walk away and don't buy
    b.) buy it anyway and shout scam when not getting what they fancy

But they still can put these items up in the normal store. Companies go back on bad decisions all the time. So people who want them to change can

a) walk away and don't buy
    b) loudly explain why it's bad for all to hear
    c) work to pass laws limiting gambling with tokens purchased for real money
    d) all of the above/any combination of the above

The folks telling us to be quiet can feel free to keep asking, but we're not going to shut up about this.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
    Options
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a scam. You know what you're getting into. You're all scamming yourself and blaming the dealer because you think hitting on a 20 is a good idea.

No not a scam. Just a very cheap, tacky, low-life way to rinse your customers for every last dime. It shows zero respect for us as customers or players.
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
    Options
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moltyr wrote: »
    DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! (unless you're super rich)

Edited title to remove caps lock and baiting language.

Who are you to tell us what to do or what not to do? Our parents? Our guardians? Our lawmakers?

I have no intentions on spending any money on crates but if others want to more power to them.

I think that it is a total waste but then I buy lottery tickets and some people think those are a complete waste of money.

Why do some people think EVERYONE has to do and think like them?
    Options
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, this thread is about you guys lacking the self control to either open a few crates, be dissatisfied, and not open anymore? Or simply dislike the whole idea of crown crates and not open them at all?

Or are you in fact simply angry that ZOS has included crown crates in THEIR product, THEIR game?
    Someone changes THEIR Product so controversially after 2.5 years, people have a right to be angry. I now own a game I don't want and would not have bought if it was marketed with these in it at release. I have played many like it and know I hate this business strategy and any company that adopts it.

News flash Mr. Jim, you have all the right to be angry and ZOS and its parent company has all the rights to make a profit under the laws of this great country which i love!!!! THE UNTIED STATES OF AMERICA!!!! That is how the free market works.

Where are these Untied States? They sound great.
    Options
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown crates : a tax on players who are bad at math.
    My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
    Options
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Someone changes THEIR Product so controversially after 2.5 years, people have a right to be angry. I now own a game I don't want and would not have bought if it was marketed with these in it at release. I have played many like it and know I hate this business strategy and any company that adopts it.

News flash Mr. Jim, you have all the right to be angry and ZOS and its parent company has all the rights to make a profit under the laws of this great country which i love!!!! THE UNTIED STATES OF AMERICA!!!! That is how the free market works.

You absolutely damn right they sound great! Not only do they sound great, THEY ARE GREAT!
    Options
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't tied to anything!

The vast majority of players will never see any of these rants.
    "Get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Moltyr wrote: »
    DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! (unless you're super rich)

Edited title to remove caps lock and baiting language.

Who are you to tell us what to do or what not to do? Our parents? Our guardians? Our lawmakers?

I have no intentions on spending any money on crates but if others want to more power to them.

I think that it is a total waste but then I buy lottery tickets and some people think those are a complete waste of money.

Why do some people think EVERYONE has to do and think like them?

Eh, people are free to do what they want. Scam crates are in pretty much every mmo now anyhow. If the mmo you love is not subscription based, you can bet there are scam crates and minimal content updates. Ever since gaming went mainstream if you will, this type of system has flourished. But I digress. Would be nice if ZOS was the first MMO company to use that money they're milking from a portion of the playerbase, to fund new and better content for people who enjoy the video game aspect of video games.
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only bought 4 crates at 400 crowns each. Each crate's contents value on the crown store far exceeded the 400 crowns so I can not call it a rip off or a scam as long as you don't count on getting that one thing you have your heart set on every time. I was lucky and got the mount I wanted in the 4th crate, but was not disappointed in the useful poisons, pets, tattoos, hats and mimic stones I received in the other crates. In other words I more than got my monies worth.
    Edited by TequilaFire on December 1, 2016 8:38PM
    Options
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »

Edit: They have already started closing free speech threads down about them, wonder how long this will stay up.

The first part is right. No doubt.

The second part is wrong. There is no such thing as free speech in a private forum.
    Options
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What kinda reasoning is that? We're their costumers and without costumers "THEIR game" will shut down. They lock away exclusive content behind RNG paywalls that just feed you with junk over and over again. They will do this with more future items and as said they depend on us paying for their content.

Except we don't get anything that we want so how is this even surprising to you? How is this ok with anyone? The only reason I could think of is that you're incredibly rich and enjoy the thought of being one of the few that ride these money bag mounts among other content. Or you really like being fooled and spend money for nothing.

Because ZOS has their right to do as they please, change their product and services as they please. As you have a right to do as you please, do be happy or angry, etc. If ZOS loses customers, that is their failure to own.

You backpaddel every time. You were *just* complaining / couldn't grasp why people are upset about these crates and now suddenly you realize that they also have to keep costumers happy with "THEIR game". We don't have to tolerate anything they do so what are we supposed to do with the information that it's "THEIR game"? It's acknowledged but quite irrelevant.

Either way you got your answer. People are angry if you want to call it that as explained in the previous comment.

Obviously my post went a bit over your head. Because I have not backpedaled and I clearly stated that ZOS can do anything and everything they please as you can choose to do. The only thing i can't grasp is that many people here seem to not realize what "free market" means. So quite clearly if you are so upset about stupid crates, crates that are NOT FORCED UPON YOU or anyone else, you decide to make the mouse click and purchase them.... Then I don't know what else there really is to say about this fabricated soft as a soggy chocolate chip cookie "outrage".
    Options
This discussion has been closed.