The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for Dueling

• Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please also drop potions buffs (even if untested, I can imagine that there is something forgotten..)
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Dueling in towns should not be allowed or illegal incurring a high bounty and making guards attack you instantly.

In my opinion, dueling in towns should be allowed in conjunction with whether players have the "prevent attacking innocents" on in the gameplay settings. That way, it's the player's own fault whether the guards get involved in the duel or not.

Guard aggro should NOT be turned off when starting a duel ... if a player is in combat with guards or NPCs from a bounty-related issue.

Finally, players have been dropping DK standards and storm atronachs in the Daggerfall Mill for years. No one has complained about that sort of chaos in the forums ... why would it be any different with the dueling going on in town??
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to say that Dueling in Towns should be disabled.

There are plenty of good places to congregate just outside City Gates. You don't need to stand at the Wayshrine or Kiosks and do your Duels. In fact, ZOS could add some things to an area to encourage it. Like say a merchant for repairs. And some statics.

Just keep it out of the towns.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was easily able to figure out how to initiate or accept a duel.

Duels were never cancelled or anything like that.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but my friends and I would randomly duel throughout the night and at one point were dueling directly beside the wayshrine in elden root. Now, we were all having fun.. but if I was questing and trying to get stuff done in Elden Root I would definitely be put off by people dueling in there, making a bunch of noise so I can't hear anything and causing fireworks.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

There are plenty of good places to congregate just outside City Gates. You don't need to stand at the Wayshrine or Kiosks and do your Duels. In fact, ZOS could add some things to an area to encourage it. Like say a merchant for repairs. And some statics.

I disagree. Disallowing certain player interactions based on because "there's 'better' places to duel" or because "you don't need to duel where you want to duel" hardly counts as an argument.

I personally like the ability to duel anywhere in the game. It adds a whole new level of liveliness to the game and makes my game much more immersive.
    Dueling in towns should not be allowed or illegal incurring a high bounty and making guards attack you instantly.

Participating in duels in towns should be a requirement. If you don't, you should be permabanned. Why? Because I say so. These arguments for wanting to restrict game features such as dueling within cities are petty at best or in most cases...lacking entirely.
    Edited by Morbash on September 3, 2016 8:23PM
    "War doesn't build character; it reveals it."
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morbash wrote: »

I disagree. Disallowing certain player interactions based on because "there's 'better' places to duel" or because "you don't need to duel where you want to duel" hardly counts as an argument.

I personally like the ability to duel anywhere in the game. It adds a whole new level of liveliness to the game and makes my game much more immersive.

Agree.

This is One Tamriel. This is not "One Tamriel Except You Can't Duel in Towns Because Other Players Want To Be At Peace When At The Crafting Station".
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not stating an argument, I was stating a conclusion and offering an alternative.

Here is my argument.

I will have to wade through a bunch of players dueling to conduct business or craft or turn in quests. So my Immersion goes out the Window? The Immersion I have had for the last 3 years? I am just saying, walk a few steps before you wack each other over the head.

And, I never said there are better places, I said there are plenty of good places just outside of city gates. You can't use your own words and attribute them to me to make your argument.

Edited by Nestor on September 3, 2016 8:33PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭

I was not stating an argument, I was stating a conclusion and offering an alternative.

Here is my argument.

I will have to wade through a bunch of players dueling to conduct business or craft or turn in quests. So my Immersion goes out the Window? The Immersion I have had for the last 3 years? I am just saying, walk a few steps before you wack each other over the head.

And, I never said there are better places, I said there are plenty of good places just outside of city gates. You can't use your own words and attribute them to me to make your argument.

Because "good" and "better" are largely distinguishable adjectives in this context.
    bet·ter
    ˈbedər/
    adjective
    comparative of good and well
    partly or fully recovered from illness, injury, or mental stress; less unwell.
    "she's much better today"
    synonyms: healthier, fitter, stronger;

How is wading through players while they're dueling any less immersive than wading through players while they're not dueling?

Edited by Morbash on September 3, 2016 9:02PM
    "War doesn't build character; it reveals it."
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they could get pets to take each other on at the same time that would be hilarious

Not in towns-traders etc seems sensible

There should be away to compensate for CP differences or people are just going to not bother and an option to duel without CP at all
    (without having to go to BWB or Azura's)

Edited by BRogueNZ on September 3, 2016 10:19PM
  • DirtySmeegs33
    DirtySmeegs33
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see some sort of ranking system or separate arena levels. I can't find the other non endgame build pvp noobs!
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree.

This is One Tamriel. This is not "One Tamriel Except You Can't Duel in Towns Because Other Players Want To Be At Peace When At The Crafting Station".

Your talking about paying customers though, I could run around in both your faces the entire duel is that ok too?
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Participating in duels in towns should be a requirement. If you don't, you should be permabanned. Why? Because I say so. These arguments for wanting to restrict game features such as dueling within cities are petty at best or in most cases...lacking entirely.

I go to towns to use NPCs, talk to other players, and do quests. With so much fireworks of AOE lights, sounds that no one can hear NPC's dialog, and it takes a player out of character. Why ruin towns for other players? You have whole zones to duel in! We are not asking not to duel at all, just be considerate toward other player's play style.

Dueling in towns is NOT being considerate!

PS: It is hard to stay focus while using guild traders if duelist make a mess around you. Why do I want to take a chance to waste my gold by buying the wrong item with the sound, lights, and lag dueling will cause.?
    Edited by k9mouse on September 3, 2016 11:44PM
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JR_Returns wrote: »
    OK so dueling isn't my thing but I respect that for other people it's an important addition to the game,

Dueling Requests
    I've set my character to auto decline however I'm constantly getting "Request Declined" popping up in the top left of my screen. It's really annoying, could you please do something about this, any of the following be acceptable.
    1. Stop it popping up.
    2. Block other players from making the request in the first place.
    3. Allow a player to decline with a suitably gracious message, such as "Thank you, but I'm not interested" or in my case
    "NO, F*** Off".

Dueling Locations
    At the moment I'm by the wayshrine in Belkarth, Craglorn and it's like the 3rd world war. You can't even go into the enchanters and make glyphs without fireballs flying past your ear. I know dueling is a new thing and people are excited but dueling shouldn't be allowed in towns. This will certainly ruin the game for me if it isn't changed, after all there is a big open world out there for them to duel in..

I agree with JR, I enjoyed the duelling today so so much, but Craglorn was insane, and I could not even walk to the bank without people asking me to duel, which would have been fine if I were not busy and set up to heal because I was getting ready to try out a new dungeon with my friends, it was pretty annoying.... I don't think that duelling in towns was the best idea. There are many places in game that would be far more suitable for this. And @JR_Returns may not wish to duel, but he accepted my duel request, and beat me :lol: Such a fun night, despite the chaos :smile:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Duel and kill in front of npc witnrsses or guards = bounty and sggro just like killing any civilian.

Then you can choose where to duel.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it too much to ask that duels load into a short phased mode so ppl can duel whenever and wherever they want without potentially disrupting others?

It's just a small radius for a few secs. Maybe that can phase them out of our sights.

It's not an issue on PTS but on live in certain places, I can see this being a benefit to all.

Make it fun with random locations like sitting atop those platforms we can reach in the starter town of Ald Dominion.

Fighting with constellations in the background
    Even an anchor background, Cyrodil, etc.

My point in all this is this load would also reset ultimates, etc without messing with what was pending pre-the duel. It prevents buffs from being applied that shouldn't and prevents ppl from hitting NPCs by accident. Even perhaps in front of each king or queue in their castle courtyards like Street fighter or something.

I know this is a lot but hey why not. A lot of ppl want duels and a lot of others don't want to see them in towns. Have fun with this idea....maybe even do some DLC add-on for dueling and arena locations when you as that. And a duel spot in housing and for guilds.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on September 4, 2016 12:50AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRogueNZ wrote: »
    ]

Your talking about paying customers though, I could run around in both your faces the entire duel is that ok too?

There are also paying customers that dance nude on top of the Daggerfall fountain. I'm not sure how dueling would be more immersion breaking that that.

Regardless of a player's tolerance for lore-breaking activities in town, restricting where players can and cannot duel is not in the spirit of One Tamriel, IMO.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    flintstone wrote: »
    I watched a bit of it going on in town.....fun to watch. It strikes me as very one sided though, pvp players with pvp armor and skills looking for a sucker pve build to destroy (pve builds don't stand a chance). Probably a good ego booster for people with pvp builds that aren't very good at pvp (-:

Of course it's early, and this is something new and fun. It will be interesting to watch how it plays out (I like it so far!)

I don't expect it will last in towns?

The difference between PvP and PvE builds is crazy in dueling! I've noticed a lot of high Alliance ranked players sporting Volunteer title lol.
    PC-NA
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BUG: Sorcerer pets currently do not receive an additional 5k hp when a duel begins.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah a duelling thread. Good good.

Khajiit will link the videos she took earlier for those who have not yet been able to experience these in the game.

This one she found them most entertaining to watch but wonders if they might be disruptive to the activities of others?

Perhaps an arena or two in the wilderness where people may go if they choose - perhaps even a scenic ruin of the right shape - and where Khajiit can find a ready supply of popcorn and booze yes?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Edit: This one would also note that it is not uncommon for the game to freeze and for this one to get booted out of Tamriel whist she is watching the duels. A couple of the videos they show this. Especially the 5th one which this one is uploading now.

My name is Wrecking Blow Spam but damn those people took it to a whole new level. There's more than 1 skill move lol.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Zohr
    Zohr
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed a huge health bug while and after dueling. You will seem to be at certain health percentages on your screen while the opponent can see something else. After I die my health starts dropping and I'll see damage numbers start to pop up eve n though the fight ended. Not sure why this happens.
    The Zohr-Father - DC Templar
    Zohritos - AD Nightblade
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't PVP much but watching two tank/heal builds duelling each other was the most hilarious (and sad) thing to watch. Neither could get the other's health below 50% or so.

May I suggest a time limit for duels? Like 5 minutes or so? If the time runs out it's a draw. So as to prevent any infinitely long fights.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the discussion over dueling in towns, it didn't take long for this thread to turn into yet another illustration of why PvP and PvE should be kept separate. The two playstyles really are very different and with arenas now set up for those wanting to duel there is simply no need for dueling to be enabled in towns where it will cause lag and immersion problems for everyone else.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    With the discussion over dueling in towns, it didn't take long for this thread to turn into yet another illustration of why PvP and PvE should be kept separate. The two playstyles really are very different and with arenas now set up for those wanting to duel there is simply no need for dueling to be enabled in towns where it will cause lag and immersion problems for everyone else.

Dueling is immersive.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

Dueling is immersive.

For those participating maybe, but not for everyone else trying to get on with other stuff especially when it causes lag, so keep it separate in the arenas that PvPers have been asking for and which are being provided and then everyone is happy. PvPers get what they want without impacting on PvEers = win/win.
    Edited by Tandor on September 4, 2016 9:19AM
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dueling is immersive.

For those participating maybe, but not for everyone else trying to get on with other stuff especially when it causes lag, so keep it separate in the arenas that PvPers have been asking for and which are being provided and then everyone is happy. PvPers get what they want without impacting on PvEers = win/win.

but see it goes both ways, maybe I don't want to see rp emoting when I'm doing what I want to do? BTW it isn't just pvp'rs dueling. Dueling can be just as much a part of rp if you incorporate it. People have been spamming skills since day one,that's not going to stop anytime soon, lag wont stop either if your already experiencing it.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I strongly suggest @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_RichLambert read this thread and rethink the whole issue of duelling in towns, please.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but see it goes both ways, maybe I don't want to see rp emoting when I'm doing what I want to do? BTW it isn't just pvp'rs dueling. Dueling can be just as much a part of rp if you incorporate it. People have been spamming skills since day one,that's not going to stop anytime soon, lag wont stop either if your already experiencing it.

So you're comparing a silent 2seconds emote with a noisy 15meter wide and possibly 15 minutes long duel ???
    If it isn't PvPers duelling, who is it then ? Butterflies ?
    Spamming skills has drastically reduced since the introduction of guards who could be hit.
    And last but not least, RPers don't need and never needed a duelling system to mimic a duel.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on September 4, 2016 9:32AM
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you're comparing a silent 2seconds emote with a noisy 15meter wide and possibly 15 minutes long duel ???
    If it isn't PvPers duelling, who is it then ? Butterflies ?
    Spamming skills has drastically reduced since the introduction of guards who could be hit.
    And last but not least, RPers don't need and never needed a duelling system to mimic a duel.
    Emotes are also visual, never said anything about sounds, I can turn my sound down.have you been to riften? I avoid it like the plague
    Dueling has no reward or consequence,no ap gain.therefore it's testing/sparring.
    Lol go to deshaan,spamming is alive and well.
    Never said rp needed dueling, I said "can".
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRogueNZ wrote: »
    ]

There are also paying customers that dance nude on top of the Daggerfall fountain. I'm not sure how dueling would be more immersion breaking that that.

Regardless of a player's tolerance for lore-breaking activities in town, restricting where players can and cannot duel is not in the spirit of One Tamriel, IMO.

Each to their own and all that.

I'm old, I'll just find a quiet town with a river close by and duel anyone who wanders by and trys to steal my herb
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Towns, crafting areas and wayshrines. Its bad enough now that people can set off aoe strikes in town, around the wayshrines [mournhold is really bad for this] and inside the banks and crafting stations. If the "duel anywhere" goes in, this will be really crappy, to the point of griefing/disrupting other players.