The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for Dueling

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Morbash wrote: »

How is wading through players while they're dueling any less immersive than wading through players while they're not dueling?

Market places can be crowded, nothing wrong with that. Try going to a popular store on a weekend afternoon.

Market places with people lobbing fireballs, whips of fire, breathing fire, throwing up freezing walls, hails of arrows from the sky, and setting the ground on fire? Not to mention the skills that make everyone in the area pull their weapons. Yeah, not so much. And if you aren't the "ooooh look at me I'm dueling" players, you aren't injured by all the arrows, caltrops, fire, meteors and lava ground? Gosh, teh immersion of going to the market where people are shopping.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP'ers duel outside the city gates
    OR
    In Town Dueling = I do not want any type of dueling game.

The choice is simple.

Do I have to start reporting players for hassling people who are trying to do questing, RP'ing, or go shopping in towns?
    Edited by k9mouse on September 4, 2016 2:11PM
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duelling is nice and works fine but it can be somehow exploited at start with a pre changed ultimate.
    The difference in burst damage is insane, today i've started a duel and immediatly after the countdown i've dropped the bow ballista changed, feared the opponent and quikly execute him, for a 10 second duel.
    I believe it will be more fair if the two opponents get the ultimate discharged when they accept the duel invitation.
    Signature

• Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    PVP'ers duel outside the city gates
    OR
    In Town Dueling = I do not want any type of dueling game.

The choice is simple.

Do I have to start reporting players for hassling people who are trying to do questing, RP'ing, or go shopping in towns?

You want to report people for using the game as intended?
    Don't get me wrong i'm against duels in town but for your logic i'll report you because you are RP'ing near me and spamming nosense in the chat..

Please zos remove the duels in town so i don't get reported for nothing.
    Signature

• Akwila
    Akwila
    ✭✭✭
    For the love of god, please disable duels in Wayrest, Eldenhollow, Mournhold, Orsinium, Abah's Landing, Anvil, and Kvatch, . I get enough lag from people just being there. Also, when I zoned into Wayrest my head about exploded with an earshattering explosion from all the duels happening RIGHT at the wayshrine. Please. Make this not a thing in major cities...
  • Tarrin
    Tarrin
    ✭✭✭
    Please remove duels from towns. It`s horrible=(((
    Samurai without a sword
    Like a samurai with the sword
    But without the sword
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please ZOS, disable duels from towns.

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please remove duels from towns and the immediate surrounds of wayshrines. Perhaps also give some sort of reward/incentive to duel in arenas if dueling isn't to be restricted to them.
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My points:

I think dueling should be expanded to even dungeons and pvp. Dueling can be used as a decision maker, a challenge for a piece of gear, who picks what to do next in the group, etc.

It should be banned around city wayshrines.

Other then a few polishing here and there (max stats at the beginning of a match, a few more achievements, and maybe a glowy line the combatants can see to make the fighting area. being unbuffable-unhealable by outside sources, and possibly a UI for statistics )
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have fought duels but not in towns yet, but I'm worried if dueling in a town will I not be able to cloak properly because a guard is nearby?
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove duels from towns. It's not too hard to move 100 meters away from vendors or crafting tables.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if pve dueling have any rewards?

Only achievements, anything else has the potential to be exploited, and is someone exploits achievements, that's pretty sad.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, please disable dueling within town limits - in busy places it causes lag even with the reduced population on the PTS, this could be a serious issue on Live servers. It's also fairly realistic to have duels banned on city streets, and could be made to fit with posters visible at city gates. Elsewhere, it is fine.

I like the fact that Hammerdeath Arena has been opened up, makes it easy to find people who want to duel, and could be a good spot for guild dueling events. Any chance of other areas throughout Tamriel?
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Dueling in towns should not be allowed or illegal incurring a high bounty and making guards attack you instantly.

This would be great - if you have to avoid the guards to duel it would be very Three-Muskateers-ish
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    Duel and kill in front of npc witnrsses or guards = bounty and sggro just like killing any civilian.

Then you can choose where to duel.

Yes, this is great!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As somebody who has been looking forward to dueling for ages, and will likely spend a lot of time dueling, I think they should disable dueling in towns. I mean, I can hardly navigate through Rawl'kha as it is with massive latency and FPS drops, and I can only imagine dueling will make that worse. Meanwhile, disabling dueling in towns is essentially a negligible inconvenience for those who want to duel, and there is honestly no good reason why people should need to do their duels in town. Basically, allowing dueling in towns does more harm to people who are utilizing those towns than disabling it does to those who want to duel.

That being said, if they do continue to allow dueling in towns, I don't think the ramifications will be nearly as bad as people are making them out to be.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can we have the option to duel without CP ?
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was testing in PTS, doing some crafting. People were trying to initiate duels while i was locked to the crafting table. Please prevent duels and also disable the duel initiation completely at towns - even if players haven't turned on dueling auto-decline.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I never thought PvP would come to PvE land in ESO. But this in ESOTU:one tamriel so it's interesting.

Surprised they didn't, and I said this over a year and a half ago, model the dueling location after Thizrinni arena. Literally they already, since launch, had the location part of duels. Drop a Thizrinni arena outside major city areas (pick the flattest most treeless part for ease of adding to world) both contestants can que on a side or a direct challenge only possible around the arena. Peeps are ported into arena area whereby removing the worry of outside casts effecting the duel and a fixed location where whatever iterations of battle spirit is applied. Plus no disruptions as it's a fixed location. Spawn as many instances as needed/figure out way other players can just view the instances i.e spectator mode.

• Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    Can we have the option to duel without CP ?

Go to Azura Star and duel.
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • sabrina
    sabrina
    Soul Shriven
    Not sure if this is intentional, but templars can repent off of opponent's engine guardian.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for dueling. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
    • Were you able to easily figure out how to duel against another player?
    • Did you get into any situations where the duel was cancelled or interrupted without any notification?
    • Did you run into any situations that seemed strange or disruptive while dueling? If so, what were you doing at the time?
    • Do you have any other general feedback?

1. Easily so.
    2. My opponent fell through the floor which caused him to forfeit. Very odd.
    3. Not really.
    4. Dueling is a TON of fun. You really need to reset people's ultimate at the start of the fight though. I also wish there were unique titles associated with dueling. So far only achievement I can find is to win 100 duels.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for dueling. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
    • Were you able to easily figure out how to duel against another player?
    • Did you get into any situations where the duel was cancelled or interrupted without any notification?
    • Did you run into any situations that seemed strange or disruptive while dueling? If so, what were you doing at the time?
    • Do you have any other general feedback?

Will there be a limitation where can people duel and where not? I hope there will be a restriction for dueling in towns!

• BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to reset ultimate before a duel then you need to have something in place to stop ults being used in the first 30 seconds or so, otherwise you'll get nightblades popping off their ults every 15 seconds whilst other classes are only 60 Ultimate into their 150+ ultimate pool causing further imbalance, especially with these weapon ultimates in place.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    If you're going to reset ultimate before a duel then you need to have something in place to stop ults being used in the first 30 seconds or so, otherwise you'll get nightblades popping off their ults every 15 seconds whilst other classes are only 60 Ultimate into their 150+ ultimate pool causing further imbalance, especially with these weapon ultimates in place.

There are worst things in this game than Death Stroke. And if we're going to play that way then let's make sure sorcs can't use their ultimate until someone else can use theirs. After all, they get a cost reduction for their Ultimates. Oh and let's get rid of major mending for Templars because that's a class advantage. Oh and no reflective scales from DKs either because that's also a class advantage. Should we negate shields while we're at it to? See how dumb and petty that sounds?
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as it is turned of in towns and duellists learn that no b***dy well does mean NO then I will just have to put up with it. The PTS right now, judging from the videos, looks like world war 3, but bear a few things in mind.

We know that the pvp and pve crowds, with a few exceptions, just don't mix, if imperial city with its ultra toxic chat doesn't prove that nothing will. It was so vile that I gave up on pvp altogether, I haven't set foot in it since a few days after IC release and the idea that that kind of venom will infect pve as well really concerns me.

Also, you may be able to duel in crowded areas now but remember that only a tiny part of the total population of the game use the PTS because most of us don't want to even consider a download of that magnitude. When its at full population any major city will look like a slide show, Abah's Landing will crash and burn if you try it there.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are worst things in this game than Death Stroke. And if we're going to play that way then let's make sure sorcs can't use their ultimate until someone else can use theirs. After all, they get a cost reduction for their Ultimates. Oh and let's get rid of major mending for Templars because that's a class advantage. Oh and no reflective scales from DKs either because that's also a class advantage. Should we negate shields while we're at it to? See how dumb and petty that sounds?

Actually, no I don't - I see how dumb and petty your advantages sound because they're class specific - I know I used nightblade as an example but really any stamina class is going to build ultimate quicker than their magicka counterpart, no? At least with the viable ultimates - I guess it could fall into the stam vs magicka debate.

But just as an example, have you ever tried to build ultimate on a magplar with two swords, sure you can hit your dawns wrath passive every 6 seconds to get 6 ultimate but in the end you're still being out-ultimated (if you wanna call it that) by a massive margin and like it or not, it's often, especially in this patch significant in your burst.

That's before we talk about how magicka based ults are for the most part, avoidable/blockable and stamina ults are almost always instant cast and unless you're holding block for unknown reasons you're about to be hit by it and stunned, and then probably again before you've got yours.

Dragon Leap, Death Stroke, Dawnbreaker - About sums up stamina ults that I see used and they're all incredibly low cost and all play a significant part in a combo - You don't get too many chances at surviving these combos, no matter the class using it.

I don't see that many fights between good players that end before an ultimate, do you? So if I start a fight against a good player and 20 seconds in I've been hit with that combo, I'm probably on the back foot, getting wailed on and like I've said before, another one is definitely coming before I've got mine - Best case scenario I have to used mine defensively when I've got it - What a waste.

I've got no issue with people dropping ult before a duel, just with people thinking that produces a fair fight - if anything both players should start with max ultimate and a further countdown applied before you can use them - Why should you have your full burst 3 times before I have had 1? Because ultimately, it's going to be one of these full bursts by either player that will get the job done.

This is just always how I've seen ult dropping, even before stamina was where it's at now.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, no I don't - I see how dumb and petty your advantages sound because they're class specific - I know I used nightblade as an example but really any stamina class is going to build ultimate quicker than their magicka counterpart, no? At least with the viable ultimates - I guess it could fall into the stam vs magicka debate.

But just as an example, have you ever tried to build ultimate on a magplar with two swords, sure you can hit your dawns wrath passive every 6 seconds to get 6 ultimate but in the end you're still being out-ultimated (if you wanna call it that) by a massive margin and like it or not, it's often, especially in this patch significant in your burst.

That's before we talk about how magicka based ults are for the most part, avoidable/blockable and stamina ults are almost always instant cast and unless you're holding block for unknown reasons you're about to be hit by it and stunned, and then probably again before you've got yours.

Dragon Leap, Death Stroke, Dawnbreaker - About sums up stamina ults that I see used and they're all incredibly low cost and all play a significant part in a combo - You don't get too many chances at surviving these combos, no matter the class using it.

I don't see that many fights between good players that end before an ultimate, do you? So if I start a fight against a good player and 20 seconds in I've been hit with that combo, I'm probably on the back foot, getting wailed on and like I've said before, another one is definitely coming before I've got mine - Best case scenario I have to used mine defensively when I've got it - What a waste.

I've got no issue with people dropping ult before a duel, just with people thinking that produces a fair fight - if anything both players should start with max ultimate and a further countdown applied before you can use them - Why should you have your full burst 3 times before I have had 1? Because ultimately, it's going to be one of these full bursts by either player that will get the job done.

This is just always how I've seen ult dropping, even before stamina was where it's at now.

No ultimate at the beginning is just a simple way to make the fight "fair" as much as possibile.

I as a pvp player want to get the 100 duels victories archivement , in order to do that i pre charge the most powerful ultimate i have and kill everyone in a matter of seconds doing 60k+ damage ( i've tried to exploit the sistem and believe me with an ambush + bow ballista +fear + execute you are going to die)
    How this sounds?
    Edited by Tonnopesce on September 5, 2016 6:01PM
    Signature

• Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great that duelling was added! The one thing that could use some improvement is the battle spirit getting applied 3-4 seconds after the fight started, I'd prefer if it would already apply when the countdown started so players can heal up. Also reseting the ultimate to 0 and removing all ultimate benefits (barrier etc.) upon accepting a duel would be nice.

I'd also appreciate it if there were an optional chat function that notifies players in the /yell chat who won in a fight against who. For example: "A defeated B in a duel." or "A won the duel against B, as B moved out of the dueling area."
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tonnopesce wrote: »

No ultimate at the beginning is just a simple way to make the fight "fair" as much as possibile.

I as a pvp player want to get the 100 duels victories archivement , in order to do that i pre charge the most powerful ultimate i have and kill everyone in a matter of seconds doing 60k+ damage ( i've tried to exploit the sistem and believe me with an ambush + bow ballista +fear + execute you are going to die)
    How this sounds?

Shhhh we're talking about how OP death stroke is. No need to mention the death turret in this conversation. It's not like I win every duel in 5 seconds if I start it with one ready or something :wink: