The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Sorc DPS still viable!

• hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Yes I get your point OP: Sorcerer is behind all other classes in terms of DPS. Thanks for showing this to us with these nice pictures :)

lol, stop trolling
    Yes I get your point OP: Sorcerer is behind all other classes in terms of DPS. Thanks for showing this to us with these nice pictures :)

lol, stop trolling

Hey :D I'm not. I was serious.
    I just wrote it in a sarcastic way.

I know. Basically I think no one is debating that it is harder to get really high numbers on a sorc, the point is its neither impossible nor as difficult of a rotation, but just takes time to master.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol, stop trolling

lol, stop trolling

I know. Basically I think no one is debating that it is harder to get really high numbers on a sorc, the point is its neither impossible nor as difficult of a rotation, but just takes time to master.

Considering it is the least forgiving rotation of all the DPS builds it should at least outperform those that are easier when performed correctly. Unfortunately that doesn't happen, beyond that, it is still a boring play style because toggleness.
    Edited by Grao on July 2, 2016 3:42PM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »

lol, stop trolling

lol, stop trolling

Considering it is the least forgiving rotation of all the DPS builds it should at least outperform those that are easier when performed correctly. Unfortunately that doesn't happen, beyond that, it is still a boring play style because toggleness.

I understand what you are saying, but where is the proof that it is any less forgiving than another class? If anything it is easier to not mess up and is thus easier to execute. A sorc has a 23 second DoT, a 10 second DoT and ele Blockade - 8 seconds. Let's take a templar. He has 8 second DoT- Blockade, a 6.5 second DoT- reflective light (no one uses vamp bane anymore), Purifying Light 6 seconds. The only other long DoT available to templars is Ritual of Retribution, which lasts 12 seconds and is only good in AoE. A sorc'speak DoT's are all ling giving you the ability to force pulse weave to your heart's content
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol, stop trolling

lol, stop trolling

I understand what you are saying, but where is the proof that it is any less forgiving than another class? If anything it is easier to not mess up and is thus easier to execute. A sorc has a 23 second DoT, a 10 second DoT and ele Blockade - 8 seconds. Let's take a templar. He has 8 second DoT- Blockade, a 6.5 second DoT- reflective light (no one uses vamp bane anymore), Purifying Light 6 seconds. The only other long DoT available to templars is Ritual of Retribution, which lasts 12 seconds and is only good in AoE. A sorc'speak DoT's are all ling giving you the ability to force pulse weave to your heart's content

Oh come on, we both know Sorcerers have a harder time than other classes to sustain a DPS that is over 35k. It is a steeper learning curve which many that have played other classes have encountered. I finished leveling my DK and I find is much easier to attain good DPS with than with my sorcerer and I've been with my sorcerer for a long time. (not that I can't achieve numbers with my sorc, it just feels easier with my little kitten... And his DPS will be even higher come the next DLC... which is really silly).
  • rokrdt05
    rokrdt05
    ✭✭✭✭
    liv3mind wrote: »
    Well @rokrdt05 I'm getting close with mine, 29.8k unbuffed bloodspawn tonight after a couple tries with 5xJulianos/2xKena/3xwillpower/1xMSAsharpened Lightning destro/2xtorug swords. 63%kena uptime. Wanna try neri once I get the right shoulder.

Fwiw that's about 400 dps (yes 400) lower than i can get on my magicka nb. If I didn't tank so much and enjoy tanking so much I could use some more practice. I will get there.

Nice! You got this!
    Server: PC - North America - Daggerfall/Ebonheart

Guilds: Order of the Bear | From The Dust

Blaze | Sorcerer | DC | Former Empress
    Ulterior Motive | Templar | DC
    Detka's Tank | Dragon Knight | DC
    Tëmpëst | Sorceror | EP | Former Emperor
    Fíre | Nightblade | EP
    'Fire| Nightblade | DC
    Spëctrë | Templar | DC
    Ashléy Olsén| Dragon Knight | EP
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol, stop trolling

lol, stop trolling

It's really easy for a boss to wander out of our tiny 4 meter radius AOE. That's why I only ever seem to have 80% uptime, because the boss moves when the tank shifts position for whatever reason.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dymence wrote: »
    jknight201 wrote: »
    @jknight201

You say majority of sorcs are around the 20k mark and can't get over it. This doesn't just apply to sorcs. The very large majority of the playerbase can't get over this mark. It's easy to do dps. It's not easy to do good dps. If you can't get over 20k, the problem lies with you, not with the class.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the game, but I do disagree with your assessment of the class. Just because some people can get high DPS numbers doesn't mean that most people can. It's easier for people to get high DPS numbers on classes other than sorcs - and >that< is why the game is broken.

Is it, though? Do you have any examples of this?

Actually Sorcerer DPS is considered the least forgiven of the DPS builds, as if you happen to make a mistake in your rotation and get delayed on placing your ground DoTs you will look suddenly a great amount of DPS. The punishment for messing up your rotation with other classes is less severe.

Considered by whom? I personally find magicka nightblade DPS to be far less forgiving than sorcerer DPS. You get punished a lot harder by missing weaves and not being able to shoot the bow, and you have more dots to maintain. Sorcerer just has 2 dots and the occasional frag proc with pulse weave.
    @jknight201

You say majority of sorcs are around the 20k mark and can't get over it. This doesn't just apply to sorcs. The very large majority of the playerbase can't get over this mark. It's easy to do dps. It's not easy to do good dps. If you can't get over 20k, the problem lies with you, not with the class.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the game, but I do disagree with your assessment of the class. Just because some people can get high DPS numbers doesn't mean that most people can. It's easier for people to get high DPS numbers on classes other than sorcs - and >that< is why the game is broken.

Yes. I have my own experience with trying to get high DPS on my own sorc and the comparing that to quickly rolling a Templar on the PTS. I also know several people in guilds who gave up on sorcs and switched to other classes and were doing significantly better damage in about a week - after playing their sorc for months.

One mistake (or bug) in your rotation as a sorc and your DPS drops significantly. Not a whole lot can go wrong when you're using the easy button on another class. I'm not saying all other classes are easy, I'm just saying that it seems easier to get better DPS numbers on another class with a given player. And that points to a problem with the sorc class.

Have you stopped to consider the possibility that the other classes may simpy fit your playstyle better and thus making you flow into it more easily? The same goes for the other people you mentioned.
    Edited by Dymence on July 2, 2016 6:47PM
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jknight201

Actually Sorcerer DPS is considered the least forgiven of the DPS builds, as if you happen to make a mistake in your rotation and get delayed on placing your ground DoTs you will look suddenly a great amount of DPS. The punishment for messing up your rotation with other classes is less severe.

Considered by whom? I personally find magicka nightblade DPS to be far less forgiving than sorcerer DPS. You get punished a lot harder by missing weaves and not being able to shoot the bow, and you have more dots to maintain. Sorcerer just has 2 dots and the occasional frag proc with pulse weave.
    @jknight201

Yes. I have my own experience with trying to get high DPS on my own sorc and the comparing that to quickly rolling a Templar on the PTS. I also know several people in guilds who gave up on sorcs and switched to other classes and were doing significantly better damage in about a week - after playing their sorc for months.

One mistake (or bug) in your rotation as a sorc and your DPS drops significantly. Not a whole lot can go wrong when you're using the easy button on another class. I'm not saying all other classes are easy, I'm just saying that it seems easier to get better DPS numbers on another class with a given player. And that points to a problem with the sorc class.

Have you stopped to consider the possibility that the other classes may simpy fit your playstyle better and thus making you flow into it more easily? The same goes for the other people you mentioned.

It is because sorcerers have far less abilities to use than the other classes that any mistakes in a sorcerer's rotation results in a far greater loss of DPS. As you said your self, we have only two ground targeted DoTs to maintain, if either of those does not tick on the the boss at any given time, the DPS will plummet. Meanwhile, other classes have several DoTs to maintain, so you happen to miss one, it won't affect your overall DPS as much as a sorcerer missing one of their two.
  • jknight201
    jknight201
    ✭✭✭
    @jknight201

@jknight201

I have, but dismissed that possibility because I don't know a single person who is switching from another class to a sorc. Everyone I know is switching from a sorc to another class. Or has just stopped playing their sorc because of low dps combined with a lack of group utility.

I don't mind putting in the effort to learn a proper rotation for a sorc, but that doesn't mean I don't like that even with a good rotation I'm going to be doing significantly less damage than most other classes. For the same amount of work (or more). I'm also not going to like the fact that my group will suffer my presence, because my class has nearly zero group utility.
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jknight201

@jknight201

It is because sorcerers have far less abilities to use than the other classes that any mistakes in a sorcerer's rotation results in a far greater loss of DPS. As you said your self, we have only two ground targeted DoTs to maintain, if either of those does not tick on the the boss at any given time, the DPS will plummet. Meanwhile, other classes have several DoTs to maintain, so you happen to miss one, it won't affect your overall DPS as much as a sorcerer missing one of their two.

We have to keep up two DoTs to stay at a top dps level. Other classes need to keep up more DoTs to keep at the same DPS level. If anything, it requires less effort to stay at top dps with a sorc than with anything else. You say it won't affect overall DPS if you miss DoTs on any other class, but that is simply false.
    @jknight201

@jknight201

I have, but dismissed that possibility because I don't know a single person who is switching from another class to a sorc. Everyone I know is switching from a sorc to another class. Or has just stopped playing their sorc because of low dps combined with a lack of group utility.

I don't mind putting in the effort to learn a proper rotation for a sorc, but that doesn't mean I don't like that even with a good rotation I'm going to be doing significantly less damage than most other classes. For the same amount of work (or more). I'm also not going to like the fact that my group will suffer my presence, because my class has nearly zero group utility.

I'm personally a main sorc player for over 2 years now, and my DPS is a lot worse when I play other classes. Granted, I haven't put as much effort into mastering them as my sorc, but still.
  • jknight201
    jknight201
    ✭✭✭
    @jknight201

@jknight201

We have to keep up two DoTs to stay at a top dps level. Other classes need to keep up more DoTs to keep at the same DPS level. If anything, it requires less effort to stay at top dps with a sorc than with anything else. You say it won't affect overall DPS if you miss DoTs on any other class, but that is simply false.
    @jknight201

@jknight201

I'm personally a main sorc player for over 2 years now, and my DPS is a lot worse when I play other classes. Granted, I haven't put as much effort into mastering them as my sorc, but still.

I know, I've seen your builds. I'm not saying that some people aren't good sorc players. I'm not saying that some people aren't better at it than other classes. It just seems to me that it's much more of a struggle to do "good" dps on a sorc compared to other classes. And by "good", I'm not talking 35K+ dps, more like 25K+. And all that is without going into the other problems the class has and that are unique to sorcs.

And let's not forget all the other problems with the class that got this discussion started in the first place. While DPS is a huge part of the class (since it's mostly a damage class), things like "fun to play", group utility, too-many-useless-abilities, etc. all come into play as well. While some sorc abilities are somewhat useful at low levels (pets), they just don't scale up to end-game play.
    Edited by jknight201 on July 2, 2016 9:18PM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jknight201

@jknight201

@jknight201

@jknight201

I know, I've seen your builds. I'm not saying that some people aren't good sorc players. I'm not saying that some people aren't better at it than other classes. It just seems to me that it's much more of a struggle to do "good" dps on a sorc compared to other classes. And by "good", I'm not talking 35K+ dps, more like 25K+. And all that is without going into the other problems the class has and that are unique to sorcs.

And let's not forget all the other problems with the class that got this discussion started in the first place. While DPS is a huge part of the class (since it's mostly a damage class), things like "fun to play", group utility, too-many-useless-abilities, etc. all come into play as well. While some sorc abilities are somewhat useful at low levels (pets), they just don't scale up to end-game play.

I do believe sorcerers could use some work to be more interactive and engaging to play, but I still feel as though sorcerer is no different than other classes when it comes down to doing good DPS.
    Edited by Dymence on July 2, 2016 11:02PM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jknight201

@jknight201

@jknight201

@jknight201

^Yup
  • rokrdt05
    rokrdt05
    ✭✭✭✭
    @jknight201

@jknight201

I'll be playing my sorc again when I get the gear I need. My sorc was my first character created and I stayed with her through till IC came out. It'll be nice to play her again.

Fíre | Nightblade | EP
    'Fire| Nightblade | DC
    Spëctrë | Templar | DC
  • rokrdt05
    rokrdt05
    ✭✭✭✭
    @liv3mind

I dunno if I want to let you win... I tried again today (mainly because Combat Metrics is now working) and I wanted to show some of the non believers this WAS done without buffs other than the ones I could supply myself.

LV0nJg2.png

QR2hyYc.png

But here is my latest parse... 900 dps better lol.

Fíre | Nightblade | EP
    'Fire| Nightblade | DC
    Spëctrë | Templar | DC
  • iam117
    iam117
    ✭✭✭

@jknight201 I moved from magicka nb to magicka sorc at thieves guild. When dB was released I stuck with it, to me its a rewarding class to play, because its less forgiving, people seem to think it's the underdog, but you can get the same numbers. every time I see people complaining about how "bad" the dps is it makes me want to play it more.

@rokrdt05 stop! I gotta get there before you up it again!!
    Edited by iam117 on July 3, 2016 2:06AM
    <Liv3mind>
    <PC/NA - Legion Of The Bloodworks>
    Snowflake Patrol
  • ARIES SERPICO
    ARIES SERPICO
    ✭✭
    It has been said in this thread already but to recap, DPS depends on your knowledge/experience of the class you play. My Sorc is my main for two years now and it's fine. There will always be game balancing and changes so rely on the knowlegde of how to play/tweak you class.
  • rokrdt05
    rokrdt05
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has been said in this thread already but to recap, DPS depends on your knowledge/experience of the class you play. My Sorc is my main for two years now and it's fine. There will always be game balancing and changes so rely on the knowlegde of how to play/tweak you class.

True to an extent however at this junction I wouldn't consider myself an expert on sorc but decent knowledge.

Fíre | Nightblade | EP
    'Fire| Nightblade | DC
    Spëctrë | Templar | DC
  • Ipslor
    Ipslor
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get it.
    I play sorc since beta. This is my main character. I can say that I know all sorcerer's abilities perfectly, I know what they do and how they work. Currently I have 430+ cp and though allocation may be not optimal it isnt completely dumb.
    Now I run 2x Infernal Maw (replacing Engine Guardian), 5x Juli, 3x Willpower. All purple except Juli chest and staff, which are gold.
    Mundus is Apprentice. Race is Breton. I have ~30k Magika.

I never succeeded to pull >12k on single target. I tried builds... well, I think all of them. Lots of my own setups, pet, dual pet, petless, Destro-staff based, class-abilities based, Mages Guild abilities, etc etc etc.

Im medium-weaving most of the time, for building Ult mostly.

What am I doing wrong?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ipslor wrote: »
    I just don't get it.
    I play sorc since beta. This is my main character. I can say that I know all sorcerer's abilities perfectly, I know what they do and how they work. Currently I have 430+ cp and though allocation may be not optimal it isnt completely dumb.
    Now I run 2x Infernal Maw (replacing Engine Guardian), 5x Juli, 3x Willpower. All purple except Juli chest and staff, which are gold.

I never succeeded to pull >12k on single target. I tried builds... well, I think all of them. Lots of my own setups, pet, dual pet, petless, Destro-staff based, class-abilities based, Mages Guild abilities, etc etc etc.

What am I doing wrong?

1. Infernal Maw = trash, Nerieneth is better
    2. Apprentice mundus = trash, thief is BiS for your gear
    3. As a breton yous hould have 40k magicka at the very least, take your points out of health or stam and put them all into magicka.
    4. You should be mediumw evaing everry ability you cast on the destro bar. On the dual wield bar you should just cast skills.
    5. Rotation:
    Boundless Storm>Liquid Lightning>Bar Swap>Elemental blockade>Weave>Force Pulse+ Weave x 7. If you are using frags then cast it on proc and medium weave with it.
  • Ipslor
    Ipslor
    ✭✭✭
    3. As a breton yous hould have 40k magicka at the very least, take your points out of health or stam and put them all into magicka.
    4. You should be mediumw evaing everry ability you cast on the destro bar. On the dual wield bar you should just cast skills.
    5. Rotation:
    Boundless Storm>Liquid Lightning>Bar Swap>Elemental blockade>Weave>Force Pulse+ Weave x 7. If you are using frags then cast it on proc and medium weave with it.

1. I don't have Neri. Of all monster sets I have Eng. Guardian and Infernal.
    2. Will try to change it.
    3. All points in magika, all race abilities unlocked, all enchantments are magika, have 32k with Bound Aegis.
    4. Yep doing it, weaving force pulse/meduim. Maybe I weave wrong? Using fire staff, I press LMB till ~half of full staff heavy attack, then release mouse and immediately press F. Pulse, is that it?
    Edited by Ipslor on July 4, 2016 7:41AM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5. Rotation:

1. I don't have Neri. Of all monster sets I have Eng. Guardian and Infernal.
    2. Will try to change it.
    3. All points in magika, all race abilities unlocked, all enchantments are magika, have 32k with Bound Aegis.
    4. Yep doing it, weaving force pulse/meduim. Maybe I weave wrong? Using fire staff, I press LMB till ~half of full staff heavy attack, then release mouse and immediately press F. Pulse, is that it?

1. W/o Nerieneth you can do 1 kena and 2 torugs.
    2. ok
    3. I am not sure how you can have such low magicka. Can you post a screenshot?
    4. I cast the ability and charge a medium weave during its cast animaton.
  • Ipslor
    Ipslor
    ✭✭✭
    Can you post a screenshot?

Sure, here it is: http://i.imgur.com/JZaTYqA.png
    Buffed purple cp150 food, Bound Aegis toggled.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't get it.

What am I doing wrong?

Because 30k magicka is nothing. you need 44-46k at least and because maw of the infernal is horrible.
    And because Sorcerer has poor dps, despite what people claim here.

I guess, you are using regen drinks instead of food. That's the only explaination for your low magicka pool.
    Edited by Dracane on July 4, 2016 1:54PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a screenshot?

Sure, here it is: http://i.imgur.com/JZaTYqA.png
    Buffed purple cp150 food, Bound Aegis toggled.

Do you have Inner Light in your main bar? And the passive from the mages guild that increases your Magika per guild ability on your bar? Do you have the undaunted passives? If so, are you using a piece of heavy gear and one of medium gear? Your magika is way too low.
    Edited by Grao on July 4, 2016 1:54PM
  • Ipslor
    Ipslor
    ✭✭✭
    I guess, you are using regen drinks instead of food.
    No, I use food.
    Do you have Inner Light in your main bar? And the passive from the mages guild that increases your Magika per guild ability on your bar? Do you have the undaunted passives? If so, are you using a piece of heavy gear and one of medium gear? Your magika is way too low.

1. No i havent, I used to, but changed it to Aegis. But I tried that too, not helping much.
    2. I have Undaunted armor passive (only 1st rank though) and yes, I use 1h+1m+5l armor.
    3. I have all Mages guild passives but they dont work since I havent slotted its skills.

An advice is heavy needed lol, since I definitely doing something wrong.
    Edited by Ipslor on July 4, 2016 2:38PM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I use food.

1. No i havent, I used to, but changed it to Aegis. But I tried that too, not helping much.
    2. I have Undaunted armor passive (only 1st rank though) and yes, I use 1h+1m+5l armor.
    3. I have all Mages guild passives but they dont work since I havent slotted its skills.

You should have both Inner Light and bound aegis on both bars.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I use food.

You need Bound Aegis and Inner Light on both bars, meteor as your ultimate on your main bar and you need to work on those undaunted passives, they help a lot. Just those changes should give you at least another 5k or so Magika.