Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

If its so much "fun" to not regen stamina while blocking

Wing
Wing
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
then why not also stop regen while doing damage or healing?

if tanks cannot regen while. . .tanking then why not also remove the ability for healers to regen while healing, and dps to regen while doing damage. they can do the same thing and fit in some heavy attacks. im sure they will have to. . .L2P. . .(snicker) at first but it will be more "fun" im sure.

I would like to point out that the reason most tanks block is the fact that 50% damage mitigation is not enough to actually "tank" stuff and your are required to block to cut down damage to reasonable tank levels. for instance the well known manticore that even capped at 50% mitigation can still one shot. I would be fine with blocking being changed to situational if the content was designed for it to be, its not though.

perhaps if blocking has been overall too cheap and heavy armor requires more tankiness replace the 5 set bonus with a flat damage reduction bonus (like nord etc.) that's like 10/20% at rank 1/2 this makes tanking without holding block more viable and block more expensive. . .notice how I shifted power there instead of knee jerk 0 RECOVERY WHILE BLOCKING!!

my original idea to reduce all regens for everyone to 0 was obviously in an attempt to show how STUPID the current change is, but I would find it hilarious and now be fairly unsurprised if ZOS was like "that's not a bad idea. . ."
ESO player since beta.
full time subscriber.
PC NA
( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
DK one trick
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly,

0 stamina regen while blocking sounds as stupid as ideas "0 magicka regen while healing" or "0 health regen while running" (because of risk of kicking your lore toe on some stray rock)

0 stamina regen is a unjustified nerf introduced to PTS (And soon to live server, because ZOS seems to ignore any feedback on it, too busy with DLC, rahter than base game patch) under false accusation.

1st is that supposedly ZOS wants to make tanking more interactive? plainly speaking ZOS claims tanking is boring. This is completely false just like the lie PVPers who advocate for this change, are repeating over and over again. Tanking is nothing near boring. It will be boring only if the player who is tanking decides to play that way or makes himself that way.

1% of ESO community, blase elite, gross on CP and best gear will declare that tanking is boring (including DPS PVP builds who will just advocate this change for the kicks and lolz). They completly ignore that beside their own "Me, myself" there is 99% of community left, players who just started game, are playing game and didnt lose their teeths on grinding CP.

What happens when ZOS listens to that 1%? Insane ubernerfs like 0 stam regen happen.

There is no problem when ZOS adds difficult content to satisfy top end players.

There is problem when ZOS decides to break game for whole ESO tanking community, just to satisfy 1%

2nd false reason is that supposedly permablocking, permacasting tanks are OP in PVP cant be killed and deal too much damage and they should be nerfed. Its false once again, because people in PVP see someone with sword and board and they declare "DIS MUST BE TANK, NERF HIM"

When a DPS build puts on sword and board, he is not magically becoming tank. He is still a DPS with just sword and board, a fake tank. ZOS just decided, that instead of finding source of problem (damage output while with 1 hand and shield, limiting change just to cyriodiil or PVP battles) they will just ubernerf everyone who use shield to block.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of when they changed ultimate in 1.6 to only be gained from basic attacks or healing. Which left tanks out in the cold. Thankfully they changed it to where blocking will also initiate the ultimate buff. It seems like a recurring pattern that changes are made which do not take into account how PvE tanking will be affected. Hopefully this will be resolved before it goes live.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Eric Wrobel stated that tanks holding block, to not take big hits that would kill them, is problematic some how. I say its the truth of what happens, that is, if we don't hold block we die against spike damage.

He also mentioned that tanks "just" hold block. That is also very problematic and false information. I do much more than that, and much much more than that depending on the content.

I also don't see how the change is a fix to the supposed issues. All people are doing now is trying to figure out how to play the way we have been playing and not get spiked damaged to death. This isn't an issue with tanks playing wrong Eric, it is an issue of not understanding that tanks are playing right, and I hope that I can change your thinking about this with a post that I have been working on since you announced the nerf.

Finally was the claim that tanking, while holding block, is uninteractive and boring. Again, I disagree, and I will have a video on this very subject posted in the next several days.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on July 31, 2015 9:41PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • tpanisiakb16_ESO
    tpanisiakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally was the claim that tanking, while holding block, is uninteractive and boring. Again, I disagree, and I will have a video on this very subject posted in the next several days.

It's this part that really grinds my gears as a tank. Tanking is anything but fun right now. Now it feels like a Resource Management Simulator game where all I'm reduced to doing is standing and blocking because hell if I have the regen / resources to do anything else least I waste precious stamina or magicka on a button press that's not needed. My awesome fire-breathing wing-flaring spikey-back dragonknight argonian is now just a semi-transparent black blob with a beating enlarged heart with an occasional particle effect if I feel I have enough resources to spare on self-buffs.

I mean, I guess I'm pathetically flailing my sword around a touch more than before, but heck if I'm going to roll dodge out of something that's not going to one-shot me because I simply don't have the resources to do it.

Sure sounds fun now, eh Eric?
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Now tone of pro players will start writing that all content is doable and you just have to adapt.
    OP you can add no magicka regen or stamina regen (depending on the resource cost) while a damage shield is active on a player.
    Edited by Bashev on July 31, 2015 10:08PM
    Because I can!
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope for the sake of this game that they reverse the block nerf in the future, because this will be a major blow to gameplay if they don't change it. With all these penalties they might as well dump the entire system and start with old fashioned cooldowns.

We are going to see a massive rise in magicka builds, after which magicka spells will get hit with even more penalties, after which people will just give up and quit. The dev team is on a crusade to destroy gameplay and enjoyment. I'm sure they don't want to ruin their own game, but that is what they are doing if they keep going this route.
    Edited by Zsymon on July 31, 2015 10:13PM
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    I hope for the sake of this game that they reverse the block nerf in the future, because this will be a major blow to gameplay if they don't change it. With all these penalties they might as well dump the entire system and start with old fashioned cooldowns.

This is never going to happen. They went too far in another direction. They nerfed damage, dodge, shields (in two ways) heals... If they revert the blocking change you will end up with only unkillable tanks in cyro. You either reverse it all or not at all. Realistically, no reversions will happen, only fine tuning
    EU | PC | AD
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is never going to happen. They went too far in another direction. They nerfed damage, dodge, shields (in two ways) heals... If they revert the blocking change you will end up with only unkillable tanks in cyro. You either reverse it all or not at all. Realistically, no reversions will happen, only fine tuning

Sadly but there is some wisdom in your words.
    Because I can!
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All they needed to do was to cut weapon and spell damage in half when you hold down block. Bam! Perma-blockers aren't a problem anymore because people who do this aren't a threat at all, and people can still tank as much as they need to.
  • CaptainObvious
    CaptainObvious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just make light and heavy attacks use stamina. Destruction and Resto staves can use magicka.
    Due to a typo in the system, the area was accosted by the Daedric Prince Moar Lag Brawls.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    All they needed to do was to cut weapon and spell damage in half when you hold down block. Bam! Perma-blockers aren't a problem anymore because people who do this aren't a threat at all, and people can still tank as much as they need to.

the problem is we don't know if damage was the problem, as ZOS has had 0 transparency on whatever the issue is, only that blocking is somehow a "problem", and not "fun" both of these responses are:

-vague
    -subject to change based on the perception of the person
    -do not reference in ANY WAY what the mechanical problem was (is blocking to cheap? is doing damage while blocking the problem? are tanks the problem? is it a 1H/S problem? is it a heavy armor problem?)

my guess is it has to do with PvP as they are reducing damage in PvP. there have already been reports of armor doing f**k all in pvp so reducing damage that way is out, bubbles and healing got reduced. so that fact that blocking is the only way to cut damage (by 50% base) means damage gets reduced even further and the only way to bypass blocking (other then, you know, skills?) is to not allow people to block.

that's is also why they are not saying ANYTHING and simply using vague un specific terminology like "problem" and "not fun" because if people found out that an entire play style and all of PvE was getting boned because of PvP people would be even more pissed off then they are now.

this whole blanket fix for PvP was ill conceived and poorly implemented, and tanking has been caught up in it and gutted as a direct result of it.

Edited by Wing on July 31, 2015 10:51PM
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's this part that really grinds my gears as a tank. Tanking is anything but fun right now. Now it feels like a Resource Management Simulator game where all I'm reduced to doing is standing and blocking because hell if I have the regen / resources to do anything else least I waste precious stamina or magicka on a button press that's not needed. My awesome fire-breathing wing-flaring spikey-back dragonknight argonian is now just a semi-transparent black blob with a beating enlarged heart with an occasional particle effect if I feel I have enough resources to spare on self-buffs.

I mean, I guess I'm pathetically flailing my sword around a touch more than before, but heck if I'm going to roll dodge out of something that's not going to one-shot me because I simply don't have the resources to do it.

Sure sounds fun now, eh Eric?

I thank you for your post and just want to add a little bit to what I wrote earlier.

We can all reduce each roll down to it's very basic parts. For example, do you know why I don't DPS? It is because I find the precision of weaving attacks in between multiple skills and, especially, weaving attacks between bar swaps to be irritating and tedious.

Notice that I'm not calling it boring though. I just don't like the play style it takes to play the DPS roll and I find it boring.

As much as I want to say that players who find tanking boring shouldn't be tanking, I wont. Everyone paid for the game and deserves to have a good chance at having fun while they perform any roll. The issue is, like I already mentioned, we all don't find the same things fun or challenging.

This is why there has been such uproar about the change. Many of us see the fun that we have tanking as about to be ruined with a heavy handed nerf. Therefor I propose the opposite of what the developers are trying to push through. I propose an incentive not a disincentive for game play that involves occasionally releasing block, but in no way diminishes the ability of continuously blocking for those who don't want to release block all of the time or even not at all.

Give us, let's say a weapon enchantment or a passive skill in the sword and board line, that let's us inspire ourselves and others when using a light attack. Give us more things to keep in our mind, as in more timers, not less of them as has been done with the removal of the live overtaunt system. Make us want to use light attacks, but stop forcing us to do things that we don't want to do, and stop leading us down the path of scrambling for ways to be just as tanky as we were before the nerf.

Make us be happy for a change rather than wanting to prevent it from seeing the light of day.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , I think this is worthy for you to pass on.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on July 31, 2015 11:04PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the whole point to this is with large stamina/regen builds people can hold block endlessly and never run out of stamina. If your in a dungeon tanking, you don't just stand there the whole time and hold block. Your taking hits, roll dodging when needed and such so you need stamina regen for this. If they want to stop stamina regen for both PVE and PVP then they should drop it to 50% regen while holding block instead of none at all. They could always leave PVE stamina as is and then just update no regen in Cyrodil. Your not blocking while roll dodging so as long as you gain stamina doing that, it should be fine. Just like everyone else I run out of stamina, I'm magicka based with a 15k stamina max and it's gone constantly. Half the time I forget to block so it mainly goes for dodge rolls.

Maybe a fix for this could be a cool down on block. So for example, if you hold block, once you get to 50% stamina it automatically resets to non block requiring you to block again. If your at 10% stamina, you can't block again until you've returned to 30-50% of it back.

The bottom line is no matter how much stamina you have, you should never be able to constantly hold block.
    Edited by Robbmrp on July 31, 2015 11:12PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is the other side of the coin. I think the developers are genuinely worried about tanking or, continuously blocking, in a PVP that has reduced damage numbers.

Before I discuss this further I think the developers should consider tanking in PVP to, in part, be an effect of players wanting to bring their PVE gear into PVP. We want to bring our tanking gear, our tanking attributes, and our tanking champion points into PVP. We therefore do so and not with the intention of being overpowerd or unfun for others to fight.

That being said, what happens if tanks do become overpowered and unfun for others to fight if damage values are reduced as they have been? Well, one solution was to reduce shielding effects. Another solution was to reduce healing done. The solution found to ward off the power of blocking, rather than dealing with health as the other solutions do, deals in a different currency, it deals in stamina regeneration.

And that is the problem if this change was made as a way to keep blocking fun in PVP. It isn't an apples to apples trade off. As a result we are seeing people upset about the unnecessary and far reaching consequences of such a change. If the developers had made the sword and board mitigate less damage, then nobody would have bated an eyelash, but they chose to deal in stamina, a core resource that is considered when choosing skills, gearing, running, dodging, blocking, and bashing and people are upset about that.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , last one for today, I promise. Thanks!
    Edited by Personofsecrets on July 31, 2015 11:18PM
    Don't tank

• Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    The bottom line is no matter how much stamina you have, you should never be able to constantly hold block.

spoken like someone who obviously does not tank

why not?
    why cannot someone who has designed there character to do just that not be allowed to do it, we have sets *specifically* designed to grant bonuses only while blocking.

and further, why is this same idea not true for every role then hmm?
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

DK one trick
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with your thought @Robbmrp is that some of us, literally, put everything we can into block cost mitigation. Doesn't it make sense that we should, therefore, not be cost so much when we block. How is taxing us twice, for the same action, fair?
    Don't tank

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »

spoken like someone who obviously does not tank

why not?
    why cannot someone who has designed there character to do just that not be allowed to do it, we have sets *specifically* designed to grant bonuses only while blocking.

and further, why is this same idea not true for every role then hmm?

On the contrary, I used my Templar for tanking at times, both normal and vet dungeons. I never needed to hold block the entire time nor had max stamina resources to do so. You time blocks based on the bosses you fight and the abilities they cast.

That being said, I have NEVER tanked a Trial... and do not know the resources required for that. I also pointed out that they could leave stamina regen alone for PVE.

There's no reason that someone needs to "perma-block" in PVP IMO.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with your thought @Robbmrp is that some of us, literally, put everything we can into block cost mitigation. Doesn't it make sense that we should, therefore, not be cost so much when we block. How is taxing us twice, for the same action, fair?

I was merely trying to offer suggestions in place of the 0 stamina regen we are currently getting hit with. A 50% reduction in regen is always better than 0. Any variation of it being downgraded is better than 0 regen while blocking. ZOS isn't going to just go "Oh well, these guys whined enough so we better not do it", complain with passion about it but also give them suggestions for resolutions.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • mrvbalc
    mrvbalc
    ✭✭✭
    Simple Solution might be make those changes only in pvp, like battle spirit buff there should another buff tat will be active when we enter cyrodiil which will stop stamina regen while blocking
    967qe6gfe8s7.png
    Balc
    As always Dragon of the Dominion
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was merely trying to offer suggestions in place of the 0 stamina regen we are currently getting hit with. A 50% reduction in regen is always better than 0. Any variation of it being downgraded is better than 0 regen while blocking. ZOS isn't going to just go "Oh well, these guys whined enough so we better not do it", complain with passion about it but also give them suggestions for resolutions.

Good points.

One thing, not necessarily related to what you write about, is with regards to the DPS of players who are continuously blocking.

That could be another thing that is looked at. I personally don't have much DPS while blocking, and quite a few people have said that tanks aren't a large presence in PVP, but if there are people that are getting tons of protection and tons of damage, then I can understand that a balance may be needed there.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on July 31, 2015 11:43PM
    Don't tank

• Petros
    Petros
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Petros on August 1, 2015 12:17AM
    "Our light will bring the dawning of a new hope!" ~ Petros Fordring -The Order of Mundus
    - VR16 Imperial Dragonknight (DC -NA) & The One Handed Tank
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw that you were interested in how tanks do in trials so I figured I would post this video.

The following video involved, to the best of my knowledge, a tank that let down block in order to attack for a ultimate generation buff (which doesn't have to be done, but maybe that was the case on the 1.6 PTS, or maybe they just wanted to try it).

Pay very close attention to the tank at about the 2 minute 20 second mark.

https://youtu.be/ZcntMLJ8ir0?t=120
    Edited by Personofsecrets on July 31, 2015 11:52PM
    Don't tank

• Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Petros wrote: »

The problem with the poll is that everyone is allowed to vote. Many people have been discussing, for example, how boring tanking is while not being tanks themselves and i think that unfairly will skew the poll toward people who don't really know about tanking.
    Don't tank

• xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    instead of removing stamina regen while blocking, holding block should simply drop your wep/spell dmg by a good 1000 points... this way tanks won't be getting 1-shotted in trials, and perma-blocking won't screw pvp balance

definitely feeling the concerns on how this affects trials tanking, but for vet dungeons/dsa though, you seriously do NOT need to perma-block to tank effectively
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xylena wrote: »
    instead of removing stamina regen while blocking, holding block should simply drop your wep/spell dmg by a good 1000 points... this way tanks won't be getting 1-shotted in trials, and perma-blocking won't screw pvp balance

definitely feeling the concerns on how this affects trials tanking, but for vet dungeons/dsa though, you seriously do NOT need to perma-block to tank effectively

I would agree, but then there is what tanks are doing in vdsa. One thing we can do in that dungeon, and the veteran dungeons, is stack spell or weapon damage to achieve some dps. With my current build, that you can find in my signature, I can achieve 12k AOE DPS and that is, in part, because I am forgoing block cost mitigation and armor for spell damage.

VDSA has been one of the most fun and challenging content for tank because it is a place that lets us perform all of the duties of a tank, but also contribute, even though it is in a small way, to killing enemies. What people are doing in VDSA is everything I think the developers would want for tanking. That is, players making trade offs, practicing, and using a ton of skills to push their effectiveness at their roll.

This goes without saying that block casting is very important for tanks in VDSA and doing so already makes stamina difficult to manage.
    Don't tank

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xylena wrote: »

I proposed that a long time ago. But people in PvP will complain again not because perma blockers will kill them but because they cannot kill them.
    Because I can!
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it really has nothing to do with outgoing damage while blocking.

blocking is being destroyed because its a static amount of damage blocked (50% base)
    armor can be bypassed and made useless, bubbles can be reduced and bypassed, healing can be reduced, but the amount of damage you "block" is always a base of 50% and does not go down (only up)

with reduced damage, bubbles, and healing but not regens (and this is important) blocking reduces damage down too far and is TOO EFFECTIVE for >>PVP<< with regens being at full strength and blocking at full strength it is more easy then ever to sit and hold block in PVP 1v1 (or 1vX depending on the amount of regen you stack and cost reduction) and take tiny amounts of damage that quite possibly may be small enough to the point that someone with health regen could almost ignore you, let alone heal through it.

Blocking is being gutted because, and ONLY because of >>PVP<< this is specificly why we are not and probably never will be told the exact mechanical reasons for this utter garbage of a change and will continue to be ignored (see eso live, addressed literally everything else, even reverted tiny percent changes on racials, but CONPLETLY IGNORED the stamina regen complaints despite the fact that they are the biggest) and brushed over with vague and unspecific terminology like "problem" and "not fun".

people, my fellow players, a solid PVE mechanic and core tanking feature built into the game that had content designed since inception around its existence and use has been trashed because of not only >>PVP<< but over broad sweeping ill thought out and poorly executed >>PVP<< changes because ZOS cannot balance their game.

ZOS has F**CKED UP, and this time tanks paid the price. . .what class / feature/ mechanic is it going to be next time?

ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

DK one trick
  • Zlater
    Zlater
    ✭✭✭
    Ask for an invite to the greatest network of guilds ever. Redfur Trading, Redfur Exchange and Redfur Army!

www.redfurconnect.com
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zlater wrote: »

LOL, that's awesome, sorcs are the best tanks in the game, GG ZOS!

and you were not even using lightning form there, nice
    Edited by Wing on August 1, 2015 8:37AM
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

DK one trick
  • kkravaritieb17_ESO
    kkravaritieb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should just add a progressive stam regen penalty the longer you hold block so you can block when you want to but not permanently.
    Member of the glorious Zerg Squad
    Rip Banana Squad

Lheneth -- Sorc PvP Rank 31
    Ellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 50 (No Bleaker's roleplaying involved)
    Smellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 28
    and many other chars