Maintenance for the week of June 17:
· [IN PROGRESS] Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 19, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) – 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 19, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) – 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

If its so much "fun" to not regen stamina while blocking

Wing
Wing
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
then why not also stop regen while doing damage or healing?

if tanks cannot regen while. . .tanking then why not also remove the ability for healers to regen while healing, and dps to regen while doing damage. they can do the same thing and fit in some heavy attacks. im sure they will have to. . .L2P. . .(snicker) at first but it will be more "fun" im sure.

I would like to point out that the reason most tanks block is the fact that 50% damage mitigation is not enough to actually "tank" stuff and your are required to block to cut down damage to reasonable tank levels. for instance the well known manticore that even capped at 50% mitigation can still one shot. I would be fine with blocking being changed to situational if the content was designed for it to be, its not though.

perhaps if blocking has been overall too cheap and heavy armor requires more tankiness replace the 5 set bonus with a flat damage reduction bonus (like nord etc.) that's like 10/20% at rank 1/2 this makes tanking without holding block more viable and block more expensive. . .notice how I shifted power there instead of knee jerk 0 RECOVERY WHILE BLOCKING!!

my original idea to reduce all regens for everyone to 0 was obviously in an attempt to show how STUPID the current change is, but I would find it hilarious and now be fairly unsurprised if ZOS was like "that's not a bad idea. . ."
ESO player since beta.
full time subscriber.
PC NA
( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now tone of pro players will start writing that all content is doable and you just have to adapt.
    OP you can add no magicka regen or stamina regen (depending on the resource cost) while a damage shield is active on a player.
    Edited by Bashev on July 31, 2015 10:08PM
    Because I can!
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    I hope for the sake of this game that they reverse the block nerf in the future, because this will be a major blow to gameplay if they don't change it. With all these penalties they might as well dump the entire system and start with old fashioned cooldowns.

This is never going to happen. They went too far in another direction. They nerfed damage, dodge, shields (in two ways) heals... If they revert the blocking change you will end up with only unkillable tanks in cyro. You either reverse it all or not at all. Realistically, no reversions will happen, only fine tuning
    EU | PC | AD
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    I hope for the sake of this game that they reverse the block nerf in the future, because this will be a major blow to gameplay if they don't change it. With all these penalties they might as well dump the entire system and start with old fashioned cooldowns.

This is never going to happen. They went too far in another direction. They nerfed damage, dodge, shields (in two ways) heals... If they revert the blocking change you will end up with only unkillable tanks in cyro. You either reverse it all or not at all. Realistically, no reversions will happen, only fine tuning

Sadly but there is some wisdom in your words.
    Because I can!
  • CaptainObvious
    CaptainObvious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just make light and heavy attacks use stamina. Destruction and Resto staves can use magicka.
    Due to a typo in the system, the area was accosted by the Daedric Prince Moar Lag Brawls.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the whole point to this is with large stamina/regen builds people can hold block endlessly and never run out of stamina. If your in a dungeon tanking, you don't just stand there the whole time and hold block. Your taking hits, roll dodging when needed and such so you need stamina regen for this. If they want to stop stamina regen for both PVE and PVP then they should drop it to 50% regen while holding block instead of none at all. They could always leave PVE stamina as is and then just update no regen in Cyrodil. Your not blocking while roll dodging so as long as you gain stamina doing that, it should be fine. Just like everyone else I run out of stamina, I'm magicka based with a 15k stamina max and it's gone constantly. Half the time I forget to block so it mainly goes for dodge rolls.

Maybe a fix for this could be a cool down on block. So for example, if you hold block, once you get to 50% stamina it automatically resets to non block requiring you to block again. If your at 10% stamina, you can't block again until you've returned to 30-50% of it back.

The bottom line is no matter how much stamina you have, you should never be able to constantly hold block.
    Edited by Robbmrp on July 31, 2015 11:12PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem with your thought @Robbmrp is that some of us, literally, put everything we can into block cost mitigation. Doesn't it make sense that we should, therefore, not be cost so much when we block. How is taxing us twice, for the same action, fair?
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    The bottom line is no matter how much stamina you have, you should never be able to constantly hold block.

spoken like someone who obviously does not tank

why not?
    why cannot someone who has designed there character to do just that not be allowed to do it, we have sets *specifically* designed to grant bonuses only while blocking.

and further, why is this same idea not true for every role then hmm?

On the contrary, I used my Templar for tanking at times, both normal and vet dungeons. I never needed to hold block the entire time nor had max stamina resources to do so. You time blocks based on the bosses you fight and the abilities they cast.

That being said, I have NEVER tanked a Trial... and do not know the resources required for that. I also pointed out that they could leave stamina regen alone for PVE.

There's no reason that someone needs to "perma-block" in PVP IMO.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with your thought @Robbmrp is that some of us, literally, put everything we can into block cost mitigation. Doesn't it make sense that we should, therefore, not be cost so much when we block. How is taxing us twice, for the same action, fair?

I was merely trying to offer suggestions in place of the 0 stamina regen we are currently getting hit with. A 50% reduction in regen is always better than 0. Any variation of it being downgraded is better than 0 regen while blocking. ZOS isn't going to just go "Oh well, these guys whined enough so we better not do it", complain with passion about it but also give them suggestions for resolutions.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »

I was merely trying to offer suggestions in place of the 0 stamina regen we are currently getting hit with. A 50% reduction in regen is always better than 0. Any variation of it being downgraded is better than 0 regen while blocking. ZOS isn't going to just go "Oh well, these guys whined enough so we better not do it", complain with passion about it but also give them suggestions for resolutions.

Good points.

One thing, not necessarily related to what you write about, is with regards to the DPS of players who are continuously blocking.

That could be another thing that is looked at. I personally don't have much DPS while blocking, and quite a few people have said that tanks aren't a large presence in PVP, but if there are people that are getting tons of protection and tons of damage, then I can understand that a balance may be needed there.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on July 31, 2015 11:43PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Petros
    Petros
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Petros on August 1, 2015 12:17AM
    "Our light will bring the dawning of a new hope!" ~ Petros Fordring -The Order of Mundus
    - VR16 Imperial Dragonknight (DC -NA) & The One Handed Tank
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just saw that you were interested in how tanks do in trials so I figured I would post this video.

The following video involved, to the best of my knowledge, a tank that let down block in order to attack for a ultimate generation buff (which doesn't have to be done, but maybe that was the case on the 1.6 PTS, or maybe they just wanted to try it).

Pay very close attention to the tank at about the 2 minute 20 second mark.

Edited by Personofsecrets on July 31, 2015 11:52PM
    Don't tank

• Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Petros wrote: »

The problem with the poll is that everyone is allowed to vote. Many people have been discussing, for example, how boring tanking is while not being tanks themselves and i think that unfairly will skew the poll toward people who don't really know about tanking.
    Don't tank

• Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xylena wrote: »
    instead of removing stamina regen while blocking, holding block should simply drop your wep/spell dmg by a good 1000 points... this way tanks won't be getting 1-shotted in trials, and perma-blocking won't screw pvp balance

definitely feeling the concerns on how this affects trials tanking, but for vet dungeons/dsa though, you seriously do NOT need to perma-block to tank effectively

I would agree, but then there is what tanks are doing in vdsa. One thing we can do in that dungeon, and the veteran dungeons, is stack spell or weapon damage to achieve some dps. With my current build, that you can find in my signature, I can achieve 12k AOE DPS and that is, in part, because I am forgoing block cost mitigation and armor for spell damage.

VDSA has been one of the most fun and challenging content for tank because it is a place that lets us perform all of the duties of a tank, but also contribute, even though it is in a small way, to killing enemies. What people are doing in VDSA is everything I think the developers would want for tanking. That is, players making trade offs, practicing, and using a ton of skills to push their effectiveness at their roll.

This goes without saying that block casting is very important for tanks in VDSA and doing so already makes stamina difficult to manage.
    Don't tank

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xylena wrote: »
    instead of removing stamina regen while blocking, holding block should simply drop your wep/spell dmg by a good 1000 points... this way tanks won't be getting 1-shotted in trials, and perma-blocking won't screw pvp balance

definitely feeling the concerns on how this affects trials tanking, but for vet dungeons/dsa though, you seriously do NOT need to perma-block to tank effectively
    I proposed that a long time ago. But people in PvP will complain again not because perma blockers will kill them but because they cannot kill them.
    Because I can!
  • Zlater
    Zlater
    ✭✭✭
    you could get creative :P
    Ask for an invite to the greatest network of guilds ever. Redfur Trading, Redfur Exchange and Redfur Army!

www.redfurconnect.com
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zlater wrote: »
    you could get creative :P

LOL, that's awesome, sorcs are the best tanks in the game, GG ZOS!

and you were not even using lightning form there, nice
    Edited by Wing on August 1, 2015 8:37AM
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
  • kkravaritieb17_ESO
    kkravaritieb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should just add a progressive stam regen penalty the longer you hold block so you can block when you want to but not permanently.
    Member of the glorious Zerg Squad
    Rip Banana Squad

Lheneth -- Sorc PvP Rank 31
    Ellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 50 (No Bleaker's roleplaying involved)
    Smellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 28
    and many other chars