Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Senche Mount. Khajiit or not Khajiit? (With the response from Lawrence Schick)

• ZOS_Lawrence_Schick
    OFFICIAL ANSWER: Moon Bishop Hulan says, “Many hairless ones are confused by the term ‘senche,’ since we Khajiit use it to mean a variety of things. It is used as ‘senche’ and ‘senche-raht’ to refer to two of the seventeen distinct furstocks, or ‘breeds,’ of Khajiit. The senche-raht, in fact, are the largest of us! But we also use the term ‘senche-tiger’ to refer to our more catlike cousins of lesser sentience. Indeed, depending upon the appearance of these cousins, we might even call them ‘senche-leopards’ or ‘senche-panthers.’ So you see that the term ‘senche’ is very flexible indeed, as changeable as the Moons.”
    Staff Post
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lawrence_Schick‌ ... You are awesome. Thank you very much for your response, and thank Moon Bishop Hulan for us as well. :smiley:

Also, I am humbled and honored for this to be your first post here on these forums. Welcome!
    Edited by Gidorick on February 17, 2015 3:13AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Throren
    Throren
    ✭✭✭
    So in plain english and not in khajiit speak:

Senche = Khajiit
    Senche-raht = khajiit
    senche-tiger = wild animals/not khajiit

And considering it's horse-like size I'll assume the mount is a senche khajiit.

That begs the question though why call wild animals by the name of senche when they are not khajiit. And if you had to name them after khajiit why choose senche when senche-tigers more closely resemble Pahmar khajiit (sp?)
  • Garwulf
    Garwulf
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Ganacampo wrote: »
    Senche are Khajiit.

So yes, it clearly is a Khajiit.

Senche-Tigers are not Khajiit. If the mount title is "striped Senche-Tiger" I wouldn't be asking.... but the Striped Senche look more like Senche-Tigers than they look like the Senche as they have been described in Lore.

And just because they're named "Senche" didn't mean they're Khajiit.

On earth the animal called a Bearcat is neither a bear or a cat. The Red Panda is not a Panda. The Mountain Goat is an antelope. The Horned Toad is a lizard. The koala bear is is more a wombat than a bear.

Oh and the Mountain Chicken is a frog.

Just because it's name has Senche in it doesn't mean it's a Khajiit.

Except their is no animal called the Koala Bear except by the ignorant.
    It is as mythical as the Bunyip and the deadly drop bear.
    It is actually only a Koala.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throren wrote: »
    So in plain english and not in khajiit speak:

Senche = Khajiit
    Senche-raht = khajiit
    senche-tiger = wild animals/not khajiit

And considering it's horse-like size I'll assume the mount is a senche khajiit.

That begs the question though why call wild animals by the name of senche when they are not khajiit. And if you had to name them after khajiit why choose senche when senche-tigers more closely resemble Pahmar khajiit (sp?)

Naming is strange sometimes. We call people strong like a bull or sly like a fox, although they don't resemble these animals at all physically. Likewise, perhaps there's a behavioral disposition that Senche(-Raht) and Senche-Tigers(Leopards/Panthers/etc) share that is much more apparent to the Khajiit than their physical likeness to Pahmar(-Raht).
    After all, from the eyes of the Khajiit, being a cat is the norm. To us, it stands out, and it therefore makes sense to put them in the same category based on their appearance. This is not necessarily the case for the Khajiit, emphasized by the appendix of -Tiger, -Leopard or -Panther. Senche-Tiger would thus translate to "Tiger that is strong like a Senche" or somesuch, not "Senche that looks like a Tiger".

Nevertheless, to me, the new mounts are fullbloodded Senche, even though they are called -Leopard or -Lioness in the Crown Store.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Garwulf wrote: »
    Ganacampo wrote: »
    Senche are Khajiit.

So yes, it clearly is a Khajiit.

Senche-Tigers are not Khajiit. If the mount title is "striped Senche-Tiger" I wouldn't be asking.... but the Striped Senche look more like Senche-Tigers than they look like the Senche as they have been described in Lore.

And just because they're named "Senche" didn't mean they're Khajiit.

On earth the animal called a Bearcat is neither a bear or a cat. The Red Panda is not a Panda. The Mountain Goat is an antelope. The Horned Toad is a lizard. The koala bear is is more a wombat than a bear.

Oh and the Mountain Chicken is a frog.

Just because it's name has Senche in it doesn't mean it's a Khajiit.

Except their is no animal called the Koala Bear except by the ignorant.
    It is as mythical as the Bunyip and the deadly drop bear.
    It is actually only a Koala.

You're right but I consider it more of a cultural misnomer. Calling a Koala a Koala bear is kind of like "Native American". While it may be inaccurate we accept the name as a culture.... ignorantly. lol.

But my original point remains true for the other 5 examples.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    [snip]

Nevertheless, to me, the new mounts are fullbloodded Senche, even though they are called -Leopard or -Lioness in the Crown Store.

Where did you see these names? All I've seen is this:
    senche.png
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Zrakie
    Zrakie
    ✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    [snip]

Where did you see these names? All I've seen is this:
    senche.png

There is a picture going around where the 4 variations are listed and judging by the picture, only senche that actually resembles tiger is the 300 days reward one.

Quoting the picture under this.
    here's some images of a new mounts
    UGKKQf8.jpg
    ylxYjvv.jpg
    U6tas9I.jpg
    8UZiLUI.jpg
    sSx2GQE.jpg
    Edited by Zrakie on February 17, 2015 7:33AM
    "Templar's brew is The Divine Tonic."
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see the size comparison to the Striped Senche! They look 'about' the same size.
    ocu7vwlojsbh.jpg

I think the Striped Senche is a Khajiit (since it doesn't have a suffix)... and the other mounts are just wild cats. While functionally this makes no difference, lore-wise it's quite a difference, for those of us who care. :wink:

LOL.. I thought the Nightmare Courser was a joke
    sSx2GQE.jpg
    Edited by Gidorick on February 17, 2015 7:39AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Zrakie
    Zrakie
    ✭✭
    I can't wait to see the size comparison to the Striped Senche!

All the skins will be same sized as the striped one unfortunately or fortunately, how ever you want to take it :)

Quoting official responce:
    To answer the questions raised in this thread, we can confirm that we have no plans to sell the Striped Senche mount in the Crown Store. As Jess mentioned in chat during Friday's episode of ESO Live, we will offer variations of the Senche mount in the Crown Store, and those variations will be the same size as the Striped Senche we showed in the Road Ahead article.
    "Templar's brew is The Divine Tonic."
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah! Cool. Thanks @Zrakie‌
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure my Nord would want to ride a big cat, the Whiterun Wolfhound might Chase it away...
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A hairless scholar came from his desert to ours and said, "I want to know the truth about the Khajiit."
    And the Clan Mother said, "Only one? You are not very curious, hairless scholar."
    The hairless scholar peered at the Clan Mother through little windows on his nose and said, "I want to know about your different breeds. Is it true that what phase of the moons you are born under determines your physical morphology?"
    And the Clan Mother said, "Indeed, hairless scholar. I was born as Jode was waxing and Jone was new, so I am an Omhes-raht. My daughter here was born when Jode was waxing and Jone was full, so she is a Senche-raht. Thus we are nothing alike."
    The scholar peered at mother and daughter and said, "You look very much the same to me."
    And the Clan Mother said, "I have heard that those with round pupils have poor vision. It is a sadness."
    Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
    Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
    Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one would like the option for her senche to have a glowing red nose please - in the spirit of Fishmas

signed

Santie Claws

16498834865_5aef48b22c.jpg
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    cat.jpg
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Laplace
    Laplace
    ✭✭✭
    Mercutio wrote: »
    cat.jpg

Hgs8HdF.png
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well played!
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Bleakraven
    Bleakraven
    ✭✭✭✭

LOL.. I thought the Nightmare Courser was a joke
    sSx2GQE.jpg

Wish it was... :(
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it's just a tiger, My Regard is going to look pretty awesome running through Alik'r desert on this guy.

A Camel surely would've been much more fitting for a Redguard, given the Close parallells With Persian/Middle-Eastern culture...
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of the naming convention, I figure this is much like the housecat/Alfiq debate.

@Throren‌ Italics don't really make a good citation, though it is good information. Let me get that citation for you:

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/interviews-3-booksellers
    This interview appears here courtesy of Douglas "AFFA MU" Goodall, currently employed by Bethesda Softworks, with some additions from Todd Howard and Ken Rolston. All answers © 2001 by Bethesda Softworks.

I work under the general assumption that not all housecats are Alfiq and not all Tigers are Senche/Pahmar.

Something to keep in mind is that a LOT of game play which the player witnesses comes from Imperial/Cyrodilic perspective. Much how Argonians' names aren't Three-Words-Long this is names used because humans can't pronounce them or an assumed translation.

That said, I suspect the random Tigers are called Senche due to wars in Elsweyr. As widespread as the Khajiit are anyway, it was probably assumed by outsiders that all Senche were Khajiit, or at least that it was safer to consider them as such.

To the original question, I'd say the mount likely is an actual Senche Khajiit as it fits the description of one (When Masser and Secunda are full, the Senche is born. The Senche is very large, but similar to the Pahmar-raht. They stand as tall as an Altmer, and can weigh as much as twenty Altmer. Other Khajiit ride them.- Jobasha, Imperial Library)
    Edited by Heishi on February 17, 2015 11:54AM
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    If it's just a tiger, My Regard is going to look pretty awesome running through Alik'r desert on this guy.

A Camel surely would've been much more fitting for a Redguard, given the Close parallells With Persian/Middle-Eastern culture...

I'm sure those will come.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom Thank you for also answering this question on ESO Live! For those who are curious, she said:

"They are non-sentient cousins of the Khajiit. Technically a Senche, by itself, refers to one of the furstocks, or breeds, of Khajiit. The mounts should always be referred to as Senche-Tigers to maintain the distinction."

Here it is on youtube courtesy of Shawn Brunelle:
    youtu.be/WWgkxsZ5ymY?t=11m28s

My Redguard is looking forward to riding his Striped-Senche. :joy:

ALSO... I really appreciate that we have gotten to hear the pronunciation of "Senche". I have always pronounced it 'Sen-chay', rhyming with 'stay'. It's good to know it's pronounced 'Sen-ch'. sounding like 'stench' without the 'T' sound.

If anyone is interested in watching the whole ESO live, here it is on Twitch:
    twitch.tv/zenimaxonlinestudios/v/3842529
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    pretend its a disgusting high elf being forced to wear a tiger costume and let you ride them.

nah jk, im not like that:)

i personally can't wait to get it, and could care less if its khajit or not.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    pretend its a disgusting high elf being forced to wear a tiger costume and let you ride them.

nah jk, im not like that:)

i personally can't wait to get it, and could care less if its khajit or not.

Thanks for the legitimate laugh! :lol:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    I'd always thought that was the case where senche was put onto the name of many things that weren't khajite proper, though I'd put the reason on the ignorance of imperial classification than something the khajite did.

The game however still does suggest we met at least one true senche that looked like a regular large cat.
    Edited by Anvos on March 1, 2015 6:29AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we FINALLY have the Striped Senche! I had actually submitted a /feedback in game (since it goes directly to the developer teams) asking that the Striped Senche be named a Striped Senche-Tiger. Since it doesn't have the proportions of a Senche (front legs 1.5X longer than rear) it should have a suffix per the Loremaster's guidance. I had only ever heard it be referred to as a "Striped Senche" and thought that adding "tiger" would be a really quick and easy way to completely clarify that this Senche was not a Khajiit but was, in fact, simply a feline cousin of the Khajiit.

When I received my email from ZOS stating that the "Striped Sence-Tiger mount" was on it's way I was elated! So happy that it seems as if my feedback was listed to! :D
    M929ZHV.jpg?1

I have always had the feeling that our suggestions aren't really heard if they aren't accompanied by a torrent of anger, frustration, gnashing of teeth and seething fury... and sometimes not even then! This very small detail kind of rekindled that old flame of trust and wonder that I had when ESO first came out... then I got home and...
    77IuSbL.jpg?1

:disappointed:

lol. TOTAL facepalm moment for me. I was happy to see that they DO clarify that the Striped Senche is "A semi-domesticated version of the wild Senche-Tiger, this distant relative of the Khajiit..." even if the name isn't "Striped Senche-Tiger"

So now we have an answer from Loremaster @Lawrence_Schick AND the IN GAME description... t's 100% conclusive, this is NOT a Khajiit.

Now... ZOS... if you DO actually listen to us, please hear that when you do eventually add the Khajiit furstock Senche please follow the lore and have: " Its forelimbs are thick and 1.5 times longer than their hindlimbs, giving them an ape-like appearance." -Khajiit Physiology - Phases and Forms

So they would look a bit more like...
    HAYSGtt.jpg?1

All that being said! THANK YOU ZOS for giving us a definitive conclusion to this little quandary in multiple forms. I know my Redguard is excited to climb aboard his tiger... and my Khajiit is enjoying his Guar. :smiley:
    Edited by Gidorick on June 27, 2015 8:13PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.