The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Senche Mount. Khajiit or not Khajiit? (With the response from Lawrence Schick)

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
@ZOS, can you comment on whether or not the Striped Senche mount is a Khajiit Senche?

If it is a Khajiit, I'm going to consider it to be the adopted sister of my Khajiit and only he will ride her.

If it's just a tiger, My Regard is going to look pretty awesome running through Alik'r desert on this guy.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

ZOS Response:
OFFICIAL ANSWER: Moon Bishop Hulan says, “Many hairless ones are confused by the term ‘senche,’ since we Khajiit use it to mean a variety of things. It is used as ‘senche’ and ‘senche-raht’ to refer to two of the seventeen distinct furstocks, or ‘breeds,’ of Khajiit. The senche-raht, in fact, are the largest of us! But we also use the term ‘senche-tiger’ to refer to our more catlike cousins of lesser sentience. Indeed, depending upon the appearance of these cousins, we might even call them ‘senche-leopards’ or ‘senche-panthers.’ So you see that the term ‘senche’ is very flexible indeed, as changeable as the Moons.”
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can RP the mount to be anything you want. You don't need ZOS to decide for you.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look into its right ear once you get it. If there's a button inside and the fur feels like plush, it's clearly fake and no Khajiit. :)
  • emeraldbay
    emeraldbay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically, the Senche are a "breed" of Khajiit, so you could certainly RP it as being such. But like others have said, you could make it an ordinary tiger if you wanted. It's not completely up to ZOS to decide.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to RP whatever I want... I want to know the official answer. The only reason... ONLY reason I'm playing ESO is because it's Elder Scrolls. The lore is important to me and I'll roll with whatever lore justifications ZOS makes, but I still want to know what they are.

I know it's silly, but it's an important aspect of my gameplay. :smile:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    I don't want to RP whatever I want... I want to know the official answer. The only reason... ONLY reason I'm playing ESO is because it's Elder Scrolls. The lore is important to me and I'll roll with whatever lore justifications ZOS makes, but I still want to know what they are.

I understand and respect your vision. I felt the same way too about teso in the beginning, but they have broken so much of this games lore/immersion so I gave up and now im using it as a pvp game only. No rp, no immersion, just good old fun:)

(not saying rp or immersion isnt fun)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emeraldbay wrote: »
    Technically, the Senche are a "breed" of Khajiit, so you could certainly RP it as being such. But like others have said, you could make it an ordinary tiger if you wanted. It's not completely up to ZOS to decide.

Senche are Khajiit
    Senche Tigers are not

Which one is the Striped Senche?
    Edited by Gidorick on February 13, 2015 5:25PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »

I understand and respect your vision. I felt the same way too about teso in the beginning, but they have broken so much of this games lore/immersion so I gave up and now im using it as a pvp game only. No rp, no immersion, just good old fun:)

(not saying rp or immersion isnt fun)

I'm viewing ESO as "official fan-fiction". Kind of like the Star Wars Expanded Universe.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Ganacampo
    Ganacampo
    ✭✭✭
    Senche are Khajiit.

So yes, it clearly is a Khajiit.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ganacampo wrote: »
    Senche are Khajiit.

So you're saying it's ok for Khajiit to love this mount ? Will they produce more mounts ?
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RP'ers. Overcomplicating things since the dawn of RPG's.......
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if it's a Senche, aren't they sentient (ish)? So couldn't it be making a choice to work with a non-khajiit, just like other khajiit make the choice to work with other races or alliances?
    Edited by xaraan on February 13, 2015 5:33PM
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the answer is in the name, if it were a Senche-Tiger it would have been called a Senche-Tiger.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just spoke to the ZOS Lore Gods. They said you can call the skin for your mount that you purchase in the Crown Store anything you want. It's a costume for your horse.

Do you really want to worry about the Lore of something that is acquired in the most non lore possible way?

• Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I just spoke to the ZOS Lore Gods. They said you can call the skin for your mount that you purchase in the Crown Store anything you want. It's a costume for your horse.

Do you really want to worry about the Lore of something that is acquired in the most non lore possible way?
    You're talking about a game series infamous for add-ons (where people were adding Portal personality spheres into Skyrim). Does it matter how it's acquired? There's the official lore and then there's the game built around it. Giving an official answer helps build the lore and make it interesting for those who care.

And second, it's not a skin for the horse, it's entirely different mesh which will have it's own animation set. Far, far different than just a "skin for a horse".
    Edited by Preyfar on February 13, 2015 5:42PM
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's just 1's and 0's. I'm pretty sure it won't care whether a Khajit is on it's back, or a 400 pound Nord in a wedding dress.
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Even the Senche-tiger, the largest great cat in existence, has proven to be just another form of the khajiit; these massive beasts can often be found serving as steeds for their more humanoid cousins."

From Pocket Guide to the Empire, First Edition.

"*** They were Bosmer refugees he gathered, even before they told him. Roasting over the fire was the remains of one of the giant cats that had been stalking him through the jungle on the opposite shore.

"Senche-Tiger," said one of the young warriors ravenously. "It's no animal -- it's as smart as any Cathay-Raht or Ohmes or any other bleeding Khajiiti. Pity this one drowned. I would have gladly killed it. You'll like the meat, though. Sweet, from all the sugar these asses eat."

From A Dance in the Fire, Book III.

There may be other references to Senche in TES lore, but these are the two I could find easily.

And to state the very obvious: Yes, they are Khajiit.
    Edited by IrishGirlGamer on February 13, 2015 5:53PM
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »

And second, it's not a skin for the horse, it's entirely different mesh which will have it's own animation set. Far, far different than just a "skin for a horse".

Functionally, it is a costume for your horse. There is no difference in performance between this mount and any other mount you acquire. All mounts are skins now. Your character determines what abilities the mount has, speedy, hardy, or strong or some combo. A different animation and mesh does not change that. It's not like your getting a Senche Mount to make your battle prowess better, or to get to a fight faster. It's just to look a certain way when your traveling across the map.

I have to ask, will you not get the mount if ZOS never tells you what the Lore is?

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ganacampo wrote: »
    Senche are Khajiit.

Senche-Tigers are not Khajiit. If the mount title is "striped Senche-Tiger" I wouldn't be asking.... but the Striped Senche look more like Senche-Tigers than they look like the Senche as they have been described in Lore.

And just because they're named "Senche" didn't mean they're Khajiit.

On earth the animal called a Bearcat is neither a bear or a cat. The Red Panda is not a Panda. The Mountain Goat is an antelope. The Horned Toad is a lizard. The koala bear is is more a wombat than a bear.

Oh and the Mountain Chicken is a frog.

Just because it's name has Senche in it doesn't mean it's a Khajiit.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Even the Senche-tiger, the largest great cat in existence, has proven to be just another form of the khajiit; these massive beasts can often be found serving as steeds for their more humanoid cousins."

"*** They were Bosmer refugees he gathered, even before they told him. Roasting over the fire was the remains of one of the giant cats that had been stalking him through the jungle on the opposite shore.

"Senche-Tiger," said one of the young warriors ravenously. "It's no animal -- it's as smart as any Cathay-Raht or Ohmes or any other bleeding Khajiiti. Pity this one drowned. I would have gladly killed it. You'll like the meat, though. Sweet, from all the sugar these asses eat."

There may be other references to Senche in TES lore, but these are the two I could find easily.

Well... When in wrong, I admit it. I didn't know that Senche-tigers were specifically mentioned in lore. I thought they were always just called "Senche".

So ALL the Senche tigers in ESO are Khajiit then? I thought they were just beasts.

Good to know!

Thanks @IrishGirlGamer‌ !
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Preyfar wrote: »

I have to ask, will you not get the mount if ZOS never tells you what the Lore is?

If they never said (and @IrishGirlGamer hadn't pointed out that there is tons of lore on "senche-tigers" being Khajiit) I would have gone with them being just big cats.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... When in wrong, I admit it. I didn't know that Senche-tigers were specifically mentioned in lore. I thought they were always just called "Senche".

So ALL the Senche tigers in ESO are Khajiit then? I thought they were just beasts.

Good to know!

In ESO, there are also non-tiger Senche, such as lion-styled cats. Non-tiger Senches are just called "Senche" in ESO, and behave just like tigers and any other mob. So in that regards, Senche-Tiger is just one type of Senche.

But what has not been consistency presented is the size of the Senche-Tiger. There's no good explanation as to why the Senche mobs you find in game are so much smaller than the Senche mount you're getting, where the latter is more true to lore.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    to state the very obvious: Yes, they are Khajiit.
    It isn't obvious at all. The name "senche" isn't enough to determine if a cat is Khajiit. It used to be, but ESO muddled up the distinctions. There's a senche-panther available as a pet in the crown store, it definitely isn't a large battlecat Khajiit Senche are described as - and likely isn't a Khajiit at all, considering that it's sold as a pet.

There are many other kinds of non-Khajiit felines: sabre cats, lions, housecats. Some of them are physically almost identical to certain Khajiit breeds (for example Alfiq). The wild senche we meet in ESO might not be Khajiit either; an NPC on Khenarti's Roost talks about his senche as if they were simple guard cats with a sweet tooth.

I'm going to treat my senche as a Khajiit, but I'm not entirely convinced it really is one.

Edited by Rosveen on February 13, 2015 6:26PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeratus wrote: »

Good to know!

In ESO, there are also non-tiger Senche, such as lion-styled cats. Non-tiger Senches are just called "Senche" in ESO, and behave just like tigers and any other mob. So in that regards, Senche-Tiger is just one type of Senche.

But what has not been consistency presented is the size of the Senche-Tiger. There's no good explanation as to why the Senche mobs you find in game are so much smaller than the Senche mount you're getting, where the latter is more true to lore.

It's these kind of things that make the Khajiit so mysterious. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeratus wrote: »

Good to know!

It's these kind of things that make the Khajiit so mysterious. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    The lore materials aren't actually fully clear as to whether Senche Khajiits are intelligent. The quote above certainly states that they are intelligent, but on the other hand, others suggest that they are more akin to animals:

"Seeing the ferocity of the Khajiiti warriors, Ra'Wulfharth could not bring himself to put them to death. Using the roar that Lorkhaj had given him, he spoke to Masser and Secunda, to move to their fullness in the sky. The Khajiiti warriors became Senche, but Lorkhaj stripped from them all reason."

(http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Tale_of_Dro'Zira)
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    It isn't obvious at all. The name "senche" isn't enough to determine if a cat is Khajiit. It used to be, but ESO muddled up the distinctions. There's a senche-panther available as a pet in the crown store ***

There are many other kinds of non-Khajiit felines: sabre cats, lions, housecats. Some of them are physically almost identical to certain Khajiit breeds (for example Alfiq). Therefore it is quite possible that this loyalty reward is such a cat, domesticated and trained as a battle mount.

I agree they have softened the distinction and definition (okay, they've muddled it up). They've also been inconsistent in their use of the term Senche. For example, the hireling that brings you wood uses the term Senche to refer to a breed of Khajiit and wonders what his life would been like if he had been born under the moon that would make him Senche, implying that ESO was following the TES tradition.

Then they open the store and start selling silly crap. Whatever ESO thinks, mine will be a Senche-Tiger in the TES tradition.
    Edited by IrishGirlGamer on February 13, 2015 6:31PM
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    It isn't obvious at all. The name "senche" isn't enough to determine if a cat is Khajiit. It used to be, but ESO muddled up the distinctions. There's a senche-panther available as a pet in the crown store ***

There are many other kinds of non-Khajiit felines: sabre cats, lions, housecats. Some of them are physically almost identical to certain Khajiit breeds (for example Alfiq). Therefore it is quite possible that this loyalty reward is such a cat, domesticated and trained as a battle mount.

I agree they have softened the distinction and definition (okay, they've muddled it up). They've also been inconsistent in their use of the term Senche. For example, the hireling that brings you wood uses the term Senche to refer to a breed of Khajiit and wonders what his life would been like if he had been born under the moon that would make him Senche, implying that ESO was following the TES tradition.

Then they open the store and start selling silly crap. Whatever ESO thinks, mine will be a Senche-Tiger in the TES tradition.

Maybe them muddying up the waters is a good thing... I'm sure the men and mer of Tamriel have these same questions and I doubt they're getting answered by the Khajiit.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there's enough room in Tamriel for Khajiit of all kinds and regular wild cats too. :) I'm with Nestor on this one: everyone can RP what they want. If ZOS gave me an official answer conflicting with my headcanon, I'd ignore it anyway, so...
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    We pinged our resident loremaster about this and are awaiting an answer. In the meantime, we can tell you that there was some internal discussion about whether or not the Striped Senche is a Senche Tiger or not. Though there are some naming remnants in the game (on PTS) that say it is a Senche Tiger, it actually isn't. Apparently those beasties are the size of elephants. ;)
    Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on February 13, 2015 6:48PM
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    So couldn't it be making a choice to work with a non-khajiit
    Technically it's being sold into slavery, but I could see why you might want to put a positive spin on that ;)

At least pre-1.6 mounts got to eat a meal 50 times. Post-patch they'll just watch their masters stuff their face.

Admittedly, RP is not something I tend to do. Probably you could notice that.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We pinged our resident loremaster about this and are awaiting an answer. In the meantime, we can tell you that there was some internal discussion about whether or not the Striped Senche is a Senche Tiger or not. Though there are some naming remnants in the game (on PTS) that say it is a Senche Tiger, it actually isn't. Apparently those beasties are the size of elephants. ;)

Awesome! Thanks @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌! Feel free to leave the answer for ESO live (if you get it in time) :wink:

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.