Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fishing Bugs (Unofficial Fishing Issues Thread)

• LadyPhaedra13
    One character has the Khenarthi Roost achievement, but I discovered upon transferring stuff around that if another character withdraws from the bank, they automatically get the achievement too. Same thing for Bleakrock Angler. Not sure about Stros M'kai since I haven't tried yet.

I have reported the issue. Just curious, any one else experience this?
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caught all achievement fish in Auridon over last few days. Did not get any Rift fish as has been reported by others.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I haven't been around as much recently but I will try and update the OP in the next day or two to reflect the current state of the game.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • KriHavok
    KriHavok
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about the Stros M'kai fish? Is it STILL bugged?
    UESP Staffer & Wiki Editor
  • Rapolax
    Rapolax
    ✭✭
    KriHavok wrote: »
    What about the Stros M'kai fish? Is it STILL bugged?

Hi @KriHavok‌,

no I catched the Stros M-Kai Eltheric Grouper maybe 4-6 days ago (EU Server).

Edit: Sorry I didn't realized the not opening of the loot-window was a bug, I thoughts it has a signal to use another bait.
    Edited by Rapolax on October 6, 2014 12:38PM
  • quarnyrwb17_ESO
    Yeah pretty sure the Stros M'Kai fish is still bugged with worms. I went through 100 without luck, with the other 2 starter fish it took about 30 total also 5 times the loot window never opened and I got nothing.
    Edited by quarnyrwb17_ESO on September 29, 2014 7:49AM
  • Rapolax
    Rapolax
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

did anyone catched the Gray Loach (Stormhaven, foul water) after patch 1.4 (EU server) ? And did anyone catched this fish ?

Thanks a lot for the answers.

EDIT: Ok, I got him this evening. It was very hard (minimum used between 500 and 750 baits).
    Edited by Rapolax on October 6, 2014 9:04PM
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah pretty sure the Stros M'Kai fish is still bugged with worms. I went through 100 without luck, with the other 2 starter fish it took about 30 total also 5 times the loot window never opened and I got nothing.
    100 isn't very much to worry about, when you get to 700+ maybe start hating life.

• Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been through about 80 worms on Stros M'Kai with no luck. My AD and EP characters have all gotten the equivalent achievement fishing just a couple pools. Periodically, I've been getting the loot-window-doesn't-open bug on just the Daggerfall character so I'm uncertain whether to keep trying or come back later once the bug is fixed.

Anyone having better luck with chub?

I'd be more patient with this if the drop rate on worms seems to have declined so I'm having to farm a lot of flowers just to keep trying for fish.
    Edited by Imryll on October 7, 2014 6:45PM
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    I've been through about 80 worms on Stros M'Kai with no luck. My AD and EP characters have all gotten the equivalent achievement fishing just a couple pools. Periodically, I've been getting the loot-window-doesn't-open bug on just the Daggerfall character so I'm uncertain whether to keep trying or come back later once the bug is fixed.

I'd be more patient with this if the drop rate on worms seems to have declined so I'm having to farm a lot of flowers just to keep trying for fish.

I was just going to suggest that it you've got the Stros M'Kai achievement from your other characters, that (if you haven't already destroyed or sold it), just swap it through the shared bank and they will receive the chievement.

As for the previous poster and their concern of the swapping the fish over to another character, it actually works (along with other rare fish that you caught) - of course it is only with your characters and not tradable so there's actually no harm.
  • CombatBeard
    CombatBeard
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm the following three Glenumbra fish as working?

Hag Fen Hagfish - foul water
    Cambray Perch - lake
    Azurain Flounder - sea

I seem to catch multiples of all the other Glenumbra fish easily.

All of the following seem to be fine:

Bleakrock
    Inner Sea Scalyfin - ocean

Stonefalls

Scum Carp - foul waters
    Rainbow Zander - still lakes
    Ash Shad - fresh streams
    Akaviri Wrasse- sea
    Tench - still lakes
    Lake Chub - still lakes
    Ricefish - fresh streams
    Thorny Catfish - fresh streams
    Stinkfish - foul waters
    Fungusfish - foul waters
    Travally - sea
    Armorhead - sea

Deshaan
    Mud Lamprey - still lakes
    Old Man Gar - still lakes
    Toadstool Tilapia - fresh streams
    Pikeblenny - sea
    Ide - still lakes
    Gourami - still lakes
    Deshaan Chub - fresh streams
    Cutthroat Trout - fresh streams
    Mustard Eel - sea
    Mouthbrooder - fresh streams
    Gibberfish - sea
    Monkfish - sea

Stros M'Kai
    Eltheric Grouper

Glenumbra
    Brook Trout - fresh streams
    Rock Bass - still lakes
    Powen - still lakes
    Catfish - fresh streams
    Warmouth - fresh streams
    Lamprey - foul waters
    Dragonfish - foul waters
    Tuna - sea
    Finless Sole - sea
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm the following three Glenumbra fish as working?

Hag Fen Hagfish - foul water
    Cambray Perch - lake
    Azurain Flounder - sea

I seem to catch multiples of all the other Glenumbra fish easily.

All of the following seem to be fine:

Bleakrock
    Inner Sea Scalyfin - ocean

Stonefalls

Scum Carp - foul waters
    Rainbow Zander - still lakes
    Ash Shad - fresh streams
    Akaviri Wrasse- sea
    Tench - still lakes
    Lake Chub - still lakes
    Ricefish - fresh streams
    Thorny Catfish - fresh streams
    Stinkfish - foul waters
    Fungusfish - foul waters
    Travally - sea
    Armorhead - sea

Deshaan
    Mud Lamprey - still lakes
    Old Man Gar - still lakes
    Toadstool Tilapia - fresh streams
    Pikeblenny - sea
    Ide - still lakes
    Gourami - still lakes
    Deshaan Chub - fresh streams
    Cutthroat Trout - fresh streams
    Mustard Eel - sea
    Mouthbrooder - fresh streams
    Gibberfish - sea
    Monkfish - sea

Stros M'Kai
    Eltheric Grouper

Glenumbra
    Brook Trout - fresh streams
    Rock Bass - still lakes
    Powen - still lakes
    Catfish - fresh streams
    Warmouth - fresh streams
    Lamprey - foul waters
    Dragonfish - foul waters
    Tuna - sea
    Finless Sole - sea

Which faction are you? I'm guessing that might be the issue why I'm having trouble getting the Stros rare.
  • ZOS_LenaicR
    ZOS_LenaicR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys!

After investigation, the drop rate of these fishes (often stated as "hard to fish") are correct:
    • Tench – Stonefalls, Lake, minnow/guts
    • Hag Fen Hagfish – Glenumbra, Foul, crawlers/fish roe
    • Cambray Perch – Glenumbra, Lake, minnow/guts
    • Azurain Flounder – Glenumbra, Sea, chub/worms

Good luck and be patient during your fishing journey!
    See you in Tamriel :)
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | Base de connaissance ESO

Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply LenaicR!

I really need to find some time to getting around to updating the OP with the most up to date information, although I honestly think most bugs have been fully ironed out at this point.
    If there are any bugs still going on feel free to post below and I will update the OP soon (honest!) I need to go back and check what was fixed in the patches during my hiatus.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys!

After investigation, the drop rate of these fishes (often stated as "hard to fish") are correct:<snip>

Translation: the RNG hates you. :lol: <g>
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New 1.5 Champion system skill. Fish Finder :) Allows you to catch blue fish as often as you currently catch green fish.

Still if they did add that, a lot of insane people who spent insane amounts of time fishing would get annoyed
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been fishing in Deshaan. I need the salt water fish but can't find any place in the sea where fish are. I was told there are some spots to the East side of the map in the bay area Northwest of the big ship. I've checked there several times and never see any fish rising. Am I looking in the wrong places for salt water fishies?
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Been fishing in Deshaan. I need the salt water fish but can't find any place in the sea where fish are. I was told there are some spots to the East side of the map in the bay area Northwest of the big ship. I've checked there several times and never see any fish rising. Am I looking in the wrong places for salt water fishies?

This was the location I found mine. All along the coastal area on the east.
    I think there were two on the main land, and one over the other side.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ocean fish was the worst to find in Deshaan.

Near Siltreen Dolmen (towards Smugglers' Cove) there is one spot where two mobs are fishing on one side, and you can actually perch yourself on the rock across the way and fish without aggro.

Then there is one at Smugglers' Cove, and across the water from there, one under the big tree you can see south of the ship.

I didn't bother much with spots near the ship, but moving north from there (east of Tal-deic wayshrine) and along the water there all the way to Knife Ear Grotto there are a few spots that are ocean.

Good luck!!

Also: /bug - Green fish are still worth 0g outside of Craglorn...
    The Moot Councillor
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, after I posted last night I went and checked again and two spots were up with active fish. I had been checking a couple of times a day for about two weeks without ever seeing a place to fish for salt water. 2nd cast I caught the Pikeblenny and in that same hole a few casts later got one wet gunny sack (only had Ta in it) a Gibberfish and a Mustard Eel. That leaves me just the Monkfish and Mud Lamprey to have Deshaan done. I've been hoarding bait since the early going so when I start going back to the fish I missed in other areas I should be good to go.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In areas that don't have one type of water can you catch any of the three fish in any of the other waters or does a specific fish go with a specific type of water so each type of water has four fish instead of three?

For instance if there are no salt water fishing holes could I catch all three saltwater fish in lakes or would I have to catch one in a lake, one in a river and one in fowl water?
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    In areas that don't have one type of water can you catch any of the three fish in any of the other waters or does a specific fish go with a specific type of water so each type of water has four fish instead of three?

For instance if there are no salt water fishing holes could I catch all three saltwater fish in lakes or would I have to catch one in a lake, one in a river and one in fowl water?
    If a zone has one type of fishing node missing, the rare fish for that node is split over the other three nodes types evenly (one extra rare per fishing hole type)

For Example Rivenspire has no foul water pools
    So the Ocean one has a chance of the Snakehead (Foul Blue)
    The Lake has a chance of the Writhing Scrab (Foul Green)
    The River has a chance of the Ribbon Eel (Foul Green)

You can not catch all three foul fish in the Ocean, this is based on the players I know who have finished all fishing achievements, and my own finishing of the fishing achievements.

There is a shared google doc that keeps track of what a lot of fisherman have been researching and testing
    Edited by Natjur on November 25, 2014 1:52AM
  • Kitty8Khajiit
    Kitty8Khajiit
    ✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »

(*) This one concurs. Kitty is fishing with her Daggerfall Kitty, Stros M'Kai has stolen over 100 worms, and often loot-window-doesn't-open bug, and no delicious Eltheric Grouper at all. This makes Kitty very sad. She feels sorry for the wasted buckets of worms, too. :'(
    <3 Kitty, Kitty, KittyKittyKitty! =^..^=
    <3Adopt a tiger, we need to save Earth's Senches.
    <3http://gifts.worldwildlife.org/gift-center/gifts/Species-Adoptions/Tiger.aspx?sc=AWY1302WC922
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stros M'Kai is bugged (always has been) You can not catch it with worms, you need to use Chub. It took be 23 Chub to get mine.

Two guild mates, one used 412 worms before using Chub and got it on the 12 bait of Chub and another got their fish on the 37 Chub bait.

We all logged it as a bug, but its been that way for like....ever.
    Edited by Natjur on November 27, 2014 8:38PM
  • TomLukman
    TomLukman
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys!

After investigation, the drop rate of these fishes (often stated as "hard to fish") are correct:
    • Tench – Stonefalls, Lake, minnow/guts
    • Hag Fen Hagfish – Glenumbra, Foul, crawlers/fish roe
    • Cambray Perch – Glenumbra, Lake, minnow/guts
    • Azurain Flounder – Glenumbra, Sea, chub/worms

Good luck and be patient during your fishing journey!
    See you in Tamriel :)

Well, perhaps you should consider increasing the drop rate a bit. Having to spend 400 units of bait for a single fish is hardly fun. Just saying...
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the PTS 1.6 Patch Notes.

Fishing
    • Fixed an issue where a rare fish in Stros M'kai could not be caught using appropriate bait.
    • You can now filet non-trophy fish that you catch into fish meat.
    • Trophy fish that previously had no sale value are now worth something to merchants.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey! I can not find river water in stonefalls, only rivers I see are lava. I thought I found a spot near ebonheart, but no was ocean.

Anyone willing to help?
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    hey! I can not find river water in stonefalls, only rivers I see are lava. I thought I found a spot near ebonheart, but no was ocean.

Anyone willing to help?

I believe there are some river fishing spots near the Stonefalls crafting area to the far south of Ebonheart. It has a bunch of waterfalls but there is one spot that is foul water, so beware of that when you go to fish there.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flynch wrote: »
    Yakidafi wrote: »

Anyone willing to help?

I believe there are some river fishing spots near the Stonefalls crafting area to the far south of Ebonheart. It has a bunch of waterfalls but there is one spot that is foul water, so beware of that when you go to fish there.

This is correct, the river spots are located near the waterfalls/crafting and the quest about how the brothers were made (forget the name sorry).
  • KriHavok
    KriHavok
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gone through 200 Crawlers but still no luck finding the Hagfish in Glenumbra! Can it really be this hard to find? This fish has cursed me since launch when I spent about 400 more Crawlers trying to find it then, but since this Perfect Roe came out I had the incentive to find it again... Almost considering filing a bug report, because the game might think I have already obtained it somehow by accident, I'm unsure.

By the way, didn't find any Perfect Roe after 200 Crawlers, so the drop-rate must really be low...
    UESP Staffer & Wiki Editor