Maintenance for the week of August 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – August 26

Dragonknights are the only real unbalanced class.

• vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    So again we circle back around to the problem being the rate of ultimate gain from AoE/utlimate cost reduction/anything that allows ultimate spamming.

And instead of talking about that, let's just whine about DKs.

I have an idea. Why don't you try to get as much information as possible before chiming in with your knee jerk defense of DK? The author of the video lists their armor choices.
    Published on May 14, 2014
    destro staff (7L): 5pc magicka furnace, 3pc willow's path, 3pc wrath of the imperium

sword & board (5L/2H): 5pc magicka furnace, 3pc akaviri dragonguard, 3pc twilight's embrace

big thanks and credit to BiggusDiccus for the infinitank destro staff build. flames of oblivion with tri focus puts impulse at around 75% crit chance, spell power pot pushes it over 100%. magicka furnace, elemental drain, battle roar, and destruction expert make it so you never go oom as long as you are fighting. not a vampire or a werewolf just a normal dunmer dk messing around with overpowered sets and builds. was leveling up caltrops but it isnt needed or optimal for either build.

And just so you don't fail again here are the set bonuses he uses while spamming AOE in full light armor, getting hit, and never coming close to dying:

Magicka furnace: 5 pieces gets you 10% magicka recovery with 5 second ICD
    Willow's path: 3 pieces gets you 5% spell crit
    Wrath of the imperium: 3 pieces gets you 10% spell crit

Any questions?
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    It isnt just talons+ standard
    You do realize that Impulse is not a DK ability, right?

You do realize that it was Corrosive Armor and Battle Roar that was making that video possible, RIGHT?
    So again we circle back around to the problem being the rate of ultimate gain from AoE/utlimate cost reduction/anything that allows ultimate spamming.

DKs have best point blank AOE, best passives the synergize with ultimates, best point blank CCs, and the two best ultimates in the game. I don't understand how anyone with a brain can look at the multitude of videos of DK completely owning group content solo in VR levels and defend their class.
    The dps needs to be adjusted. And the banner completely removed . You better pray they leave the cc and survivability or none of you will make it past the trash in Fg lol. Or the ritual boss. But in all seriouness you guys never seen a sorc soloing vr bosses with two pets and a resto staff? Where is that video. Nerf the dk i want all the dunnmer light armor dk's to cry streams of tears.Dk needs adjustment but most of you screaming for justice have no idea what needs adjustment. And most of your suggestions would make the class useless and some of the vr dungeons immpossible
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obscure wrote: »
    Talons + Standard is the equivalent to the "noon tube". Low skill, high effectiveness. Doesn't really require much to learn to use, and will occasionally kill skilled players. Problem is once enough players jump on that bandwagon because the game isn't at all designed to foster player skill progression, the only option the Dev's have is Nerf or Nothin'. Nerf the combo and the whole bandwagon that never had to learn anything else to play the game suddenly experiences a very rigid spike in the skill demand, which is something they never had to develop. Instead of learning something new, they just leave and play something new. For a sub based game, even when unskilled toxic players leave it harms the bottom line. Lower population, less income, and perception of a "sinking ship" causing additional drops in subscribers.

Nerfing the combo is bad for the health of the game at this point. Implantation of counters to such abilities is the only way to go without damaging the population. Noobs, scrubs, and casuals make up the bulk of any MMO player base. Remove their ability to compete with tryhards, diehards, and no-lifers and they take their ball and go home...there goes your income.

I don't use the combo because I don't need to (Medium Armor DW/Bow Dunmer DK FTW!). Others use it because they don't know any better way to play or they simply don't have the skill to play any other way. Truth is there are nasty builds out there for every class, but are much harder to execute than Talons + Standard for only slightly higher effectiveness. Thus obtaining the skill required to use them is discouraged when the easy way is so effective.

First of all, how can you say the game doesn't foster skill progression? Maybe you should read some of the other threads in this forum regarding the progress gates that people are struggling to beat (e.g., Mannimarco and Molag Bal). These are clearly built-in mechanics to encourage skill progression. I'll accede that for some classes/build they aren't currently functioning that way because of things that are broken as discussed in this thread, but it is clearly the design intent that the game does foster skill progression in a big way. I'm going to guess you aren't in VR levels yet.

Second, I don't understand how powering up other classes vs. nerfing the combo will someone make the DKs that lose their OPness less frustrated? The end result is they lose more fights, so how does it really matter that the loss is due to changes to their class or another? At least if it was their class that changed they would possibly feel they could do something about it (e.g., Skill respec away from nerfed skills).
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You do realize that it was Corrosive Armor and Battle Roar that was making that video possible, RIGHT?

DKs have best point blank AOE, best passives the synergize with ultimates, best point blank CCs, and the two best ultimates in the game. I don't understand how anyone with a brain can look at the multitude of videos of DK completely owning group content solo in VR levels and defend their class.
    The dps needs to be adjusted. And the banner completely removed . You better pray they leave the cc and survivability or none of you will make it past the trash in Fg lol. Or the ritual boss. But in all seriouness you guys never seen a sorc soloing vr bosses with two pets and a resto staff? Where is that video. Nerf the dk i want all the dunnmer light armor dk's to cry streams of tears.Dk needs adjustment but most of you screaming for justice have no idea what needs adjustment. And most of your suggestions would make the class useless and some of the vr dungeons immpossible

The simple fact that you think nerfing ONE class , would make dungeons impossible , should be more than enough to nerf said class or give similar tools to ALL the other classes.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No I have never seen a sorc soloing packs of mobs (10+ and tuned for a group) or doing anything remotely close to what I see DKs do in 8+ youtube videos now. I would love to see a sorc, nb, temp pulling off anything remotely close. I have some ideas for something similar on my sorc and will be trying it out soon.
    Edited by Erock25 on May 14, 2014 5:37PM
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vicNBitis wrote: »
    So again we circle back around to the problem being the rate of ultimate gain from AoE, and ultimate cost reduction/anything that allows ultimate spamming.

I have an idea. Why don't you try to get as much information as possible before chiming in with your knee jerk defense of DK? The author of the video lists their armor choices.
    Published on May 14, 2014
    destro staff (7L): 5pc magicka furnace, 3pc willow's path, 3pc wrath of the imperium

sword & board (5L/2H): 5pc magicka furnace, 3pc akaviri dragonguard, 3pc twilight's embrace

big thanks and credit to BiggusDiccus for the infinitank destro staff build. flames of oblivion with tri focus puts impulse at around 75% crit chance, spell power pot pushes it over 100%. magicka furnace, elemental drain, battle roar, and destruction expert make it so you never go oom as long as you are fighting. not a vampire or a werewolf just a normal dunmer dk messing around with overpowered sets and builds. was leveling up caltrops but it isnt needed or optimal for either build.

And just so you don't fail again here are the set bonuses he uses while spamming AOE in full light armor, getting hit, and never coming close to dying:

Magicka furnace: 5 pieces gets you 10% magicka recovery with 5 second ICD
    Willow's path: 3 pieces gets you 5% spell crit
    Wrath of the imperium: 3 pieces gets you 10% spell crit

Any questions?
    I'm not sure how you think this is in any way a refutation of my post. It only strengthens my case, actually.

But please, continue making a fool of yourself. Its amusing.
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you think this is in any way a refutation of my post. It only strengthens my case, actually.

Because, for some reason, your response to the video was blowing it off as somehow being about ultimate recovery/spam. It's not. He has Akavari but he's not using it when he's AOE spamming. All of that is inherent DK OPness.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I have never seen a sorc soloing packs of mobs (10+ and tuned for a group) or doing anything remotely close to what I see DKs do in 8+ youtube videos now. I would love to see a sorc, nb, temp pulling off anything remotely close. I have some ideas for something similar on my sorc and will be trying it out soon.
    They can if its gimped mele mobs like wolfs or skewers, that has no mechanics and only half the amount of hit points.

But no sorc can solo a group of 10 normal enemies, of course. They go splat, like everyone else. If you see it on some Youtube videos it's a vampire pre-nerf.

Also inb4 sorcs most OP because they can run away!

Think it's a little early to start raging about nerfs. We should at least wait for 1.1 to see how classes stand against each other. Let them at least try to fix NB, before demanding that every other class is turned into a vegetable
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because, for some reason, your response to the video was blowing it off as somehow being about ultimate recovery/spam. It's not. He has Akavari but he's not using it when he's AOE spamming. All of that is inherent DK OPness.
    Yeah, "for some reason" I responded to a post where someone said that the video was possible because of an ultimate ability and a passive that is triggered when an ultimate ability is used and discussed ultimate abilities. What is the matter with me?

And in the very quote you posted from the guy in the video, only two DK abilities were mentioned: Flames of Oblivion and Battle Roar. If you want to say Flames of Oblivion is overpowered, you'll have to give me a minute to respond so I can stop laughing. So that leaves Battle Roar. Since this issue totally isn't about spamming ultimates, we need to look at Battle Roar as a one-time deal, and under such conditions it's not in any way overpowered.

So.I'm glad we were able to settle this issue: this video was made possible mostly by Destro Staff, Light Armor, and a few set bonuses. Thanks for the assist on proving my point!
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kirnmalidus
    You're making a logical misstep and citing one of the reasons I have my opinion (and as for VR I nearly hit VR7 in the PTS and am nearly VR6 in live, both DK's). The reason people are struggling with those "hard" fights is the game doesn't encourage player skill progression, it simply expects you to have the skill to handle those fights when you get to them. These are skill walls you have to climb over rather than an even progression. Most of the game players can mindlessly spam trash mobs, so that's exactly what they do. Then suddenly the mindless spam doesn't work and they scream at the internet about how hard a certain piece of content is, not realizing they never obtained the required skill up to that point.

As for implantation of counter play and mechanics it does not do much for the noob/scrub/casual, they probably won't even notice. The tryhards/diehards/no-lifers will, and they are a fickle crowd either way..
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »
    Think it's a little early to start raging about nerfs. We should at least wait for 1.1 to see how classes stand against each other. Let them at least try to fix NB, before demanding that every other class is turned into a vegetable

What's waiting for us in 1.1? Oh yeah...:
    Class

Dragonknight
    Burning Breath (Fiery Breath morph): Fixed an issue where this ability was doing less damage than intended.
    Burning Embers: This ability now heals you if your enemy target dies while affected by it.
    Dark Talons:
    This ability can now damage monsters with snare immunity.
    Fixed an issue where allies were not able to activate the synergy from Dark Talons.
    Inhale (and morphs): This ability’s initial life drain morphs can now hit a maximum of three targets(ed: Awww). This also applies to Inhale’s morphs.
    Petrify (and morphs): The enemy target’s health regeneration bonus while they were affected by Petrify and its morphs has been removed.
    Razor Armor: Fixed an issue where this ability wasn’t granting bonus armor for the first 3.5 seconds.
    Spiked Armor (and morphs): The damage return for this ability and its morphs has been increased.

Let's review for those not keeping score at home. Buff. Buff. Buff. Nerf. Buff. Buff. Buff.

Maybe 1.1.1? Nope, just a slight buff for templars. So when does "too early" turn into "too late"? Think the people buffing DKs know? Me neither.
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »
    Thinks it's a little early to start raging about nerfs. We should at least wait for 1.1 to see how classes stand against each other. Let them at least try to fix NB, before demanding that every other class is turned into a vegetable

What's waiting for us in 1.1? Oh yeah...:
    Class

Dragonknight
    Burning Breath (Fiery Breath morph): Fixed an issue where this ability was doing less damage than intended.
    Burning Embers: This ability now heals you if your enemy target dies while affected by it.
    Dark Talons:
    This ability can now damage monsters with snare immunity.
    Fixed an issue where allies were not able to activate the synergy from Dark Talons.
    Inhale (and morphs): This ability’s initial life drain morphs can now hit a maximum of three targets(ed: Awww). This also applies to Inhale’s morphs.
    Petrify (and morphs): The enemy target’s health regeneration bonus while they were affected by Petrify and its morphs has been removed.
    Razor Armor: Fixed an issue where this ability wasn’t granting bonus armor for the first 3.5 seconds.
    Spiked Armor (and morphs): The damage return for this ability and its morphs has been increased.

Let's review for those not keeping score at home. Buff. Buff. Buff. Nerf. Buff. Buff. Buff.

Maybe 1.1.1? Nope, just a slight buff for templars. So when does "too early" turn into "too late"? Think the people buffing DKs know? Me neither.

Reading what you quoted, I see fix fix fix removed fix buff.
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    @kirnmalidus
    You're making a logical misstep and citing one of the reasons I have my opinion (and as for VR I nearly hit VR7 in the PTS and am nearly VR6 in live, both DK's). The reason people are struggling with those "hard" fights is the game doesn't encourage player skill progression, it simply expects you to have the skill to handle those fights when you get to them. These are skill walls you have to climb over rather than an even progression. Most of the game players can mindlessly spam trash mobs, so that's exactly what they do. Then suddenly the mindless spam doesn't work and they scream at the internet about how hard a certain piece of content is, not realizing they never obtained the required skill up to that point.

As for implantation of counter play and mechanics it does not do much for the noob/scrub/casual, they probably won't even notice. The tryhards/diehards/no-lifers will, and they are a fickle crowd either way..

I see your point. It is still a skill-gate though, regardless of whether you have developed the skills ahead of time or not you will need them to pass.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, "for some reason" I responded to a post where someone said that the video was possible because of an ultimate ability and a passive that is triggered when an ultimate ability is used and discussed ultimate abilities. What is the matter with me?

And in the very quote you posted from the guy in the video, only two DK abilities were mentioned: Flames of Oblivion and Battle Roar. If you want to say Flames of Oblivion is overpowered, you'll have to give me a minute to respond so I can stop laughing. So that leaves Battle Roar. Since this issue totally isn't about spamming ultimates, we need to look at Battle Roar as a one-time deal, and under such conditions it's not in any way overpowered.

So.I'm glad we were able to settle this issue: this video was made possible mostly by Destro Staff, Light Armor, and a few set bonuses. Thanks for the assist on proving my point!

OK, so when the poster with the video says "It isnt just talons+ standard" and posts said video showing more than talons and standard you focus back in on the other OP ultimate? Well, it's a response I guess. Not a very good one though.

Flames of Oblivion is just more icing on the DK cake. A similar video could be make with ZERO spell crit. So you're right, FoB isn't worth talking about.

Battle Roar doesn't take up bar space but if it did you could fit it since literally this person could have done the exact same thing albeit slower with keys to spare.

And, again, none of the set bonuses had any affect on ultimate. At all. This is entirely DK OPness.
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    KoooZ wrote: »
    Reading what you quoted, I see fix fix fix removed fix buff.

Here, I fixed it for you:
    Let's review for those not keeping score at home. Fix which buffs. Fix which buffs. Fix which buffs. Nerf. Fix which buffs. Fix which buffs. Buff.

Phew. I feel better. How about you?
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now he's just going after every DK skill, even the bad ones. Obviously he's just on a temper tantrum about DKs right now.
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kirnmalidus

I see your point. It is still a skill-gate though, regardless of whether you have developed the skills ahead of time or not you will need them to pass.

Indeed but gates don't present progression they resist progression. They literally stop the player until they have the ability to go through them. Once through its mostly back to business as usual and much of the aquired skill is not required again until the next gate. In PvP there simply are no skill gates. You just got level 10 and get to run off into Cyrodiil using whatever is the best option at the time and never go beyond that. Interestingly enough having both Standard and Talons unlocked can be done without really trying in very early leveling (10-15). Player realizes it's an effective and simple combination, and from then on they optimize for it and spam their way up the leader board. Minimal skill, maximum effect. Best case scenario they get bored and try something else. Worst case, they do it all the way to VR10 as the skill gates really aren't set all that high to force significant enough of a play style change.
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭

OK, so when the poster with the video says "It isnt just talons+ standard" and posts said video showing more than talons and standard you focus back in on the other OP ultimate? Well, it's a response I guess. Not a very good one though.

Flames of Oblivion is just more icing on the DK cake. A similar video could be make with ZERO spell crit. So you're right, FoB isn't worth talking about.

Battle Roar doesn't take up bar space but if it did you could fit it since literally this person could have done the exact same thing albeit slower with keys to spare.

And, again, none of the set bonuses had any affect on ultimate. At all. This is entirely DK OPness.

I... think there's some fundamental break in communication here. Until the last paragraph I thought you were making the same argument as him not realizing he was on your side.. but then you said it's 100% the DK and I became confused.
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    Now he's just going after every DK skill, even the bad ones. Obviously he's just on a temper tantrum about DKs right now.

Yeah, we can't all be constructive like your initial contribution to this thread:
    This thread is the only REAL whine thread.

By the way, they're "superfluous" skills not necessarily "bad" ones. DKs have lots of those since more than a handful are so insanely OP. Like you I have a DK and the faceroll combinations give me headaches sometimes! Hopefully they "fix" talons soon so I can be merely as OP as sorcerers.
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    apologies for entering your festival of fears and tears uninvited. Why nerfing Dragonknights instead of buffing other classes? Is it better to see everyone struggling against 10 packs or everybody killing them? I'm not a fan of negative definition of balancing and this thread seem to be fueled with a rather intense antipathy for grandeur.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, we can't all be constructive like your initial contribution to this thread:
    This thread is the only REAL whine thread.

By the way, they're "superfluous" skills not necessarily "bad" ones. DKs have lots of those since more than a handful are so insanely OP. Like you I have a DK and the faceroll combinations give me headaches sometimes! Hopefully they "fix" talons soon so I can be merely as OP as sorcerers.
    I'd make more constructive posts in a more constructive thread.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surinen wrote: »
    apologies for entering your festival of fears and tears uninvited. Why nerfing Dragonknights instead of buffing other classes? Is it better to see everyone struggling against 10 packs or everybody killing them? I'm not a fan of negative definition of balancing and this thread seem to be fueled with a rather intense antipathy for grandeur.

Because in theory , the content should be hard, atleast in theory that is what most thought.

DKs can destroy the current content.

If you buff everyone to DK standard, the game is will be REALLY easy.

If anything:

DK - easy
    Sorc - normal
    Temp - hard

NB - so bugged that it may jump from one to other on relog :P.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    KoooZ wrote: »
    I... think there's some fundamental break in communication here. Until the last paragraph I thought you were making the same argument as him not realizing he was on your side.. but then you said it's 100% the DK and I became confused.

Yes, it's 100% DK. There's no stacking of ultimate-effecting armor sets or vampire nonsense. It's all DK. Just like it was all NB when we were able to chain Veils. That was fixed pre-launch, right? After about a week IIRC. DK cheese? Well, that can wait of course.
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭

Because in theory , the content should be hard, atleast in theory that is what most thought.
    I know nothing of such theory and its existence. Why not allow open world-instances remain Adept like and introduce Master-Legendary toggle-on-off trials and dungeons. I would like this game to be TES MMO instead of regular MMO following trends of other developers. Let's say Skyrim replayability is not because of its difficulty but its freedom, exploration and mods(naturally includling these which increase difficulty level)

You are a Vestige, a being with mythical roots similar to Daedra. You have every right to destroy content and eat its ashes afterwards, spit and form a new life.
    Edited by Surinen on May 14, 2014 8:19PM
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    apologies for entering your festival of fears and tears uninvited. Why nerfing Dragonknights instead of buffing other classes? Is it better to see everyone struggling against 10 packs? or everybody killing them? I'm not a fan of negative definition of balancing and this thread seem to be fueled with a rather intense antipathy for grandeur.

If only those two choices, the bolded. But, really, neither as everyone should be dying to 10-packs solo.
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    I'd make more constructive posts in a more constructive thread.

I'm sure you would. Regardless, at this point, "nerf DK" is constructive.
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If everyone was brought up to DK level there would no longer be a point in playing this as an MMO. Not to worry it looks like NB will stay broken and DK will be buffed, fixed whatever you want to call it.

I saw a VR4 DK in a VR4 Public Dungeon yesterday go through solo and destroy the packs of 6+ literally faster than I could even throw out a volcanic rune and get it to go off. All just dead in seconds and didn't even need to slow down, bosses barely took longer. If you plan to make all classes that strong then I will just find something else to play that is a joke.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kitsinni wrote: »
    If everyone was brought up to DK level there would no longer be a point in playing this as an MMO. Not to worry it looks like NB will stay broken and DK will be buffed, fixed whatever you want to call it.

I saw a VR4 DK in a VR4 Public Dungeon yesterday go through solo and destroy the packs of 6+ literally faster than I could even throw out a volcanic rune and get it to go off. All just dead in seconds and didn't even need to slow down, bosses barely took longer. If you plan to make all classes that strong then I will just find something else to play that is a joke.

Yeah but that is just an ultimate generation/cost issue and has nothing at ALL to do with a DK - said every DK desperately clinging to their OP nature everywhere.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    If only those two choices, the bolded. But, really, neither as everyone should be dying to 10-packs solo.
    Why exactly everyone should be dying to 10 packs solo?

• vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    Why exactly everyone should be dying to 10 packs solo?

Because...there...are...10? Am I being recorded??? Feels like this is some reality show set up.
This discussion has been closed.