The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO on Consoles – Update"

• 11dallison11b16_ESO
    What about people that don't have a comp?
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm the only one who doesnt like this idea or mind a console delay as long as it's a polished product... but I don't want to start a new game with people already at max level with gear far superior to anything I could find for the first month of my playing time.

I'm a huge fan of PvP and this AvA is an amazing take on the game. Having to compete with players who already put in their time will completely ruin anyone and everyone's experience who was holding out to get ESO on the console. I'm a PC player at heart but didnt want to spend the money on upgrading my system to run the game at the quality settings that my PS4 is capable of. Having played the BETA, I knew this game would be worth any amount of wait. Now I'm patiently waiting for another 6 months to only find that I'll be ~7-8 months behind many players who transferred their character to the console.

Sure it could be a great idea from a revenue stand-point, but in my opinion this is a step in the wrong direction for creating that magical experience for players playing a game for the first time... Who wants to wait for a game to come out to find themselves at a disadvantage?! This is stupid, sure it'll make SOME PC players who CONSIDERED playing it on console happy... but what about all the people who pre-ordered the Console version ONLY and have been patiently waiting for their turn?!

You disappoint me Bethesda and Zenimax, not because of bugs, not because of delays. Because you aren't taking the Console players into consideration at all on this one... you can do better... and we deserve better.

-A Devoted Elder Scrolls fan

The other option would be to release a broken and bugged game right now. The PC version at the moment is a mess: bugs, terrible design philosophies (who the heck thought VR was a good idea?), and it did not create a good reputation for itself in the press. The bugs are only going to be worse on consoles.

Releasing it now would be shooting themselves in the foot. The writing is on the wall: no one will pay full box, subs on live, AND a second sub for the game for a game with a metascore of 72, full of problems and bashed so hard its like that horribly bullied kid on the playground (of press reviews and public opinion).

They absolutely need to to get the console release perfect, the longevity of the game is balanced on a knife's edge at the moment and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised and would actually welcome a FF14:ARR-esque complete re-release.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The PC version is not a mess. Hyperbole much?
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like anyone's mentioned this, but if as seems likely, a large number of console users take up this offer, there's gonna be a horde of VR10 folks right from the word go. I can hear the future PvP whining already.
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arreyanne wrote: »
    Should have pushed back the PC release six months....... OH You did you're just charging us to beta test it for you
    Have you subscribed?
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone knows if the same account can be used in both platforms without paying an extra subscription? Or will I have to pay 2 subscriptions? Because this is actually a great opportunity for me since most of my friends will be getting the game on PS4 and I wish to play with them.
    There's no 'PC' and 'PS4' servers so why would you not be able to play with them?
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And by transfer they are saying MOVE character, not COPY character?

That definitely means separate servers. Otherwise, you could just connect to the same account and no transfer would be needed.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Does anyone knows if the same account can be used in both platforms without paying an extra subscription? Or will I have to pay 2 subscriptions? Because this is actually a great opportunity for me since most of my friends will be getting the game on PS4 and I wish to play with them.
    There's no 'PC' and 'PS4' servers so why would you not be able to play with them?

There will be separate servers for PS4, xbox and pc/mac. My guess is if you want to play on both you would need to pay two subs or pick one after transfer. Id say they will make you create a new account for the PS4 so there should be no issues with only being able to use one account at a time.
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, good luck at PVPing on console release, you gonna be destroyed for months by VR12 maxed out characters transfered from PCs. That will be a *** of epic proprtions.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • epoling
    epoling
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get people whining about some folks already being at high level. People come and go in MMOs all the time. It's basically going to be just like somebody waiting six months to start playing a game. There are people who started on day one that are ahead of them already. Look at how every MMO is. Some folks rush to the end on day one, so then most everybody has to contend with a few folks at VR10 while they are still at regular level 10. If you are going to complain about this letting some people start the console at high levels you probably complain that the sky is blue.
  • doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice offer. Is the transfer option unique to this specific purchase or will we all be able to transfer our characters over to xbox/ps4 for a charge later on?
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zargorius wrote: »
    Wow, good luck at PVPing on console release, you gonna be destroyed for months by VR12 maxed out characters transfered from PCs. That will be a *** of epic proprtions.

While not always true, console players are in general more casual.

I suspect that the people who are already VR10 will be staying on PC.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • tbmorrisonb14_ESO
    ZMO, Sorry about the network interfacing problems, you must be as frustrated as we are. Thank you for the excellent compensation for the delay that was not your fault.
    Accursed Legion
    Xbox One PvP Ebonheart Guild
  • Naisho
    Naisho
    Soul Shriven
    So ... i wonder if console version will get it's own servers and most support will go there. And therefore PC version is more like beta test for consoles.
    Also - consoles - probably less or no bots.
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, what is the rationale for requiring two subscriptions? That would boggle my mind. I can see paying for the game itself, and updates on each. But two subscriptions sounds over the top to me. It would be easy to lock your account, so you can only sign in to one or the other platform at a time.

I would think -very- few people would maintain two anyway, so they would lose little in terms of subscription revenue, and gain a LOT in terms of player retention, good will, etc. by letting one subscription cover pc and console.

This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    While not always true, console players are in general more casual.

I suspect that the people who are already VR10 will be staying on PC.

I agree that most people who have a decent enough gaming rig to play ESO probably won't have a console, but I think the appeal of hitting the ground running at max level is strong enough that a fairly large group of people are going to pull this stunt. Enough to make copious rivers of rage flow, at least.
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can only pray to heaven the true "challenge" console ESO is facing is the huge amount of bug fixes the PC version is challenged with right now, and they don't want console players to beta test with PC players. Character swaps are always appreciated, definitely nice move - I'm just REALLY hoping we see a ton of crap clear up over the next 6 months. Game is fun, but could be sooo much better if it was fixed up.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • MSUStve
    MSUStve
    Just want to echo the question that's been asked a few times, but not answered. Is the character transfer a MOVE or a COPY? That is, will I still be able to play my PC character on PC after transferring to PS4 or no?
  • Taven
    Taven
    ✭✭✭
    Is the transfer a must? I wouldn't mind having this on my PS4 but I don't want to transfer my character.
  • foxhound4206nub18_ESO
    foxhound4206nub18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Xaei wrote: »

The other option would be to release a broken and bugged game right now. The PC version at the moment is a mess: bugs, terrible design philosophies (who the heck thought VR was a good idea?), and it did not create a good reputation for itself in the press. The bugs are only going to be worse on consoles.

Releasing it now would be shooting themselves in the foot. The writing is on the wall: no one will pay full box, subs on live, AND a second sub for the game for a game with a metascore of 72, full of problems and bashed so hard its like that horribly bullied kid on the playground (of press reviews and public opinion).

They absolutely need to to get the console release perfect, the longevity of the game is balanced on a knife's edge at the moment and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised and would actually welcome a FF14:ARR-esque complete re-release.

There's no reason to release it with bugs. I've waited long enough that 6 more months is not a big deal. I want a polished game, bug free and MAX LVL CHARACTER TRANSFERS FROM PC free. PC accounts were capable of using some bugs like the duplication bug to get a head of all on the PC in teh first weeks... multiply that by another 6 months and who knows what kind of advantages they could create over the masses of consoles player starting from square one. With enough gold and items they could potentially run the entire economy of console ESO with a well organised group of like minded (and full pocketed) players. AvA would be a barren waste land, no matter the campaign, after VR10 players wreck face to any group of players that stand in their way until more and more players get leveled and geared... which would take a month or two or six depending on player play schedules and just how far ahead these "elites" would be. The delay is a great idea, why put out a game that isn't quite right. The idea to allow PC/MAC players to transfer all their assets and characters to a fresh-start server? Appalling... please don't make another hasty decision that will in turn ruin player experience worse than a few bugs.

• Oberon
    Oberon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I knew this game would be worth any amount of wait. Now I'm patiently waiting for another 6 months to only find that I'll be ~7-8 months behind many players who transferred their character to the console.
    +1
    The entire transfer scheme just moves the diseased PC game play (infinite gold from hackers, full legendary-geared VR12+ characters, 6 more months of end game gear for transfers, demolished economy) over to the consoles.

Anyone who thinks ZOS "got" the dupers and cheaters is sadly mistaken. The recent infinite Jute farms (and thus infinite Dreugh Wax) happened after the dupe fix went in. Flying and underground bots are still running around farming, and have another 6 months to create infinite gold that can then infect the consoles.
    The other option would be to delay the console release 6 months, but not have this transfer business.

The whole $20 transfer thing screams "we need a short term money hit", even at the cost of introducing the PC economic disease into the consoles.

I don't mind the 6 month delay. They have to do what is needed. If more coding time is required, then that's what has to be done. The character transfer thing....that's what has me worried. Is this short-term $20 income offer a sign of a desire to eventually move the game to the hated free-to-play model? I sure hope not.
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    What do Imperial Edition subscribers do? I assume the $20 upgrade is for standard edition. My main character is an Imperial so how would that work?
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oberon wrote: »
    The whole $20 transfer thing screams "we need a short term money hit", even at the cost of introducing the PC economic disease into the consoles.

If you think that console is free from the same sort of things that cause 'economic disease' think again. Just because Sony or Microsoft are in control doesn't stop players corrupting a game.

• eyeless71_ESO
    I've seen this question asked a couple times, but have yet to see any kind of answer. What happens to those of us who have pre-ordered the console Imperial Edition if we decide to play on PC?
  • kirklasalle
    kirklasalle
    Soul Shriven
    A few questions arise from this announcement:

1. Does the transfer process move or copy your character(s)? Basically, since they are using different servers for the consoles and PCs, will you still have characters available to play on the PC when you transfer?

2. Does this transfer include only the characters, or will your bank and inventory come along for the ride?

3. Is there a limit to the number of characters which can be transferred?

4. Do Imperial Edition bonus items, such as pets (beta monkey included), maps, and Rings of Mara transfer over as well?

5. Will remaining game time from the PC version transfer over to the console for those not wanting to continue playing on the PC? If I have 65 days left on my PC subscription, and transfer over to a console, does that bump my remaining time up to 95 days?

6. For those wanting to keep both accounts, would you need two different subscriptions in order to play on the PC and a console?

I agree with all these questions above... I would also add that if you're someone like myself who has played the beta, purchased the PC/Mac versions and then pre-puchased the console version, that the $20 deal has no real value...

For me, the $20 deal equates to me getting a character transfer for $5 and then paying $14.99 for an additional month subscription which I would have to pay normally... or anyone for that matter, since you "need" a subscription to access the servers.

I'd suggest that they "sweeten the deal" such as offer in-game wares like a Horse and/or a Horse with Horse Armour, or maybe a class weapon and/or class Armour. Or really all of these things as a package. There are a number of things that could be offered but, a $5 character transfer doesn't seem to cut-it for me... Since I'm paying for it anyway.

Just a thought.
  • GunemCleric
    GunemCleric
    ✭✭✭
    VR10 transfers...does everyone really think they will all band together to crush noobs? Really? Where? I would expect it to be clash of the super egos all laying waste to each other in endless cycles vying for Emperor while ignoring noobs until the actually become a threat.

And how long would it take to get to VR12? I est 2-5/1 levels a day pre/post vet. if you really want it...really not gonna take that long for new players to get there.

Then there is the balancing. VR10s do have more skills, but i see level 40s+ stomp veterans regularly. One recently at 43 was owning 1-2 at a time and was not going down very often...

As for dual subscriptions, Zenimax has to pay for all servers, blame that on Microsoft and Sony.

Personally I preordered both and I am a console player. I may do the transfer for a single toon, but my main would always be PC (if that is possible)

To the few whiners. The single-digit percent of people whining are not going to sway anything, try instead to take what you know and believe should be done and make suggestions to improve.

Otherwise start a "im-not-getting-my-way-...-preorder-cancelled" thread because i love reading those, even funnier when i later see that same player in game.

Xpadder works fine for controllers, my only problem was there not being enough buttons (even with overloading) to do all of the basic things i want to do. I have since switch to mouse and gamepad.
    Gunerm Cleric ~ Dragon Knight, Tank ~ vr14
    Cruleg Nimec ~ Dragon Knight, DPS ~ vr14
    Gunem Cleric ~ Templar, Heals ~ vr3
    Cleric Gunem ~ Sorcerer, TBD ~ vr1
    Daggerfall Covenant (only) ~ NA
    Guts n Glory & Guts n Glory EOC ~ Guildmaster ~ GnG ~ MMO Dark Guild
    Daggerfall Cosa Nostra ~ Founder ~ DCN ~ DC guild leaders only (no cross faction PvP guilds)
  • RomeoPKA
    RomeoPKA
    ✭✭✭
    Does this offer stand for those of us who bought the game already? WIll everyone have the opportunity to transfer our characters from PC to console when the time comes?
  • jerzey_gamer
    I'm honestly a little glad the release date got pushed back, resulting in this new offer. I was bummed when I realized we couldn't initially transfer our PC/Mac toons over to the console version. So this is good news to me despite the fact that I was really looking forward to playing it on PS4 next month. Zenimax is really proving to be a promising force in the world of MMOs!
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
    Gawjo - VR15 Nord DK DPS [US] | 50 Alchemy/Blacksmithing/Provisioning
  • EliteZ
    EliteZ
    ✭✭✭
    Arreyanne wrote: »
    Should have pushed back the PC release six months....... OH You did you're just charging us to beta test it for you

Then stop playing the game for 6 months until you feel it is no longer "in beta" and let the rest of us enjoy playing the game.
  • Oberon
    Oberon
    ✭✭✭✭
    xCHEMISTx wrote: »
    If you think that console is free from the same sort of things that cause 'economic disease' think again. Just because Sony or Microsoft are in control doesn't stop players corrupting a game.
    Of course it's not free from those issues. However, the 6 extra months gives them a lot of time to squash the most egregious of those cheats.

This transfer business directly counters that benefit, nullifying it. It has no upside otherwise and spreads the economic disease as a big downside.