Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Now that mist form is out of the way, next up - Bolt Escape!

• Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭
    LadyChaos wrote: »
    xhrit wrote: »
    Terminus wrote: »
    Every class has an ability that allows them to jump or travel large distances in a short time, or even pull their enemies to them.

You will have to show me what skill templar has that allows them to travel large distances in a short time.

focused charge

Which requires a target in range to even be able to use. So what you're saying is Bolt Escape should need a target within 15 meters to before you can use it to get away? Only 1 class has an escape ability, that is an imbalance that needs to be fixed.

nope, I have long since thought focused charge should be changed... how bout asking before assuming my thoughts.

you're all so pissed that someone else's stuff is working as intended.. in stead of getting your *** fixed you want working stuff nerfed.

I don't actually care about your thoughts. Focused Charge is not comparable to Bolt Escape, the only ability that was was Elusive Mist and that still wasn't on par with it. Every gap closer/maker has a target requirement except for Bolt Escape, if you think that is fine and balanced then you're probably one of the people abusing it. Abilities that are too strong have to be brought down to a reasonable level, unless you dislike having a balanced game.
    Edited by Niffo on May 5, 2014 11:54PM
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RaZaddha wrote: »
    Carde wrote: »
    All the people in this thread that want Bolt Escape nerfed because their own class doesn't have it make me sad. Do we really not have the ability to think a game is fair unless its homogenized to all hell? Ridiculous.

Its an escape skill. Every class has a gap closer or a gap maker.

The thing is, no gap closer works against bolt escape because he can cast it twice faster than I can charge into him, he uses it once I use my charge, he uses it again while my charge is starting and my charge stops. If the sorc can cast it twice he's instantly out of range. No other class has such mobility, all other classes need a target for gap closer or gap makers.

Some suggestions:

Stop tunnel visioning the sorc who is trying to run away. If he really wants to go, let him, since you're clearly ill-equipped to catch him (its not impossible, its just hard to do, which is exactly how it should be using a *** skill with the word ESCAPE in it).

Use some knockdowns or stuns. Yeesh.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭
    RaZaddha wrote: »
    All the people in this thread that want Bolt Escape nerfed because their own class doesn't have it make me sad. Do we really not have the ability to think a game is fair unless its homogenized to all hell? Ridiculous.

Its an escape skill. Every class has a gap closer or a gap maker.

The thing is, no gap closer works against bolt escape because he can cast it twice faster than I can charge into him, he uses it once I use my charge, he uses it again while my charge is starting and my charge stops. If the sorc can cast it twice he's instantly out of range. No other class has such mobility, all other classes need a target for gap closer or gap makers.

Some suggestions:

Stop tunnel visioning the sorc who is trying to run away. If he really wants to go, let him, since you're clearly ill-equipped to catch him (its not impossible, its just hard to do, which is exactly how it should be using a *** skill with the word ESCAPE in it).

Use some knockdowns or stuns. Yeesh.

They just need to change the name of the skill to:

"Bolt Escape Escape Escape Escape Escape Escape Escape Escape"
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every class has an ability that allows them to jump or travel large distances in a short time, or even pull their enemies to them.

You will have to show me what skill templar has that allows them to travel large distances in a short time.

focused charge

Which requires a target in range to even be able to use. So what you're saying is Bolt Escape should need a target within 15 meters to before you can use it to get away? Only 1 class has an escape ability, that is an imbalance that needs to be fixed.

nope, I have long since thought focused charge should be changed... how bout asking before assuming my thoughts.

you're all so pissed that someone else's stuff is working as intended.. in stead of getting your *** fixed you want working stuff nerfed.

I don't actually care about your thoughts. Focused Charge is not comparable to Bolt Escape, the only ability that was was Elusive Mist and that still wasn't on par with it. Every gap closer/maker has a target requirement except for Bolt Escape, if you think that is fine and balanced then you're probably one of the people abusing it. Abilities that are too strong have to be brought down to a reasonable level, unless you dislike having a balanced game.

a... if you didn't care shouldn't have asked me.
    b... shouldn't ask a question you can't handle the answer to.
    c... you are not looking for balance you are looking for nerf.
    d... You can't claim it's not fair templars need a target and we don't when we say yep, take away their target restriction, sounds good to us.

you don't want to make it fair you want to one by one remove the things that move faster than you, as clearly stated in the title of this thread.
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭
    Some suggestions:

Use some knockdowns or stuns. Yeesh.[/quote]

Okay, so I used my CC on the Sorcerer and he broke out of it, what do I do now? If the name is the issue then they can change that so they can make it into a balanced ability. Why is it fine that one class has an escape ability? and the solution isn't giving everyone escape that just makes fights stupid, Sorcerers are Guild Wars 2 Warriors of ESO and there shouldn't be guaranteed escape abilities.

• Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its only guaranteed if the person giving chase sucks.

All classes don't need an escape. Homogenization of the classes is boring as all hell.

Its a Sorcerer. They're mages. They teleport and blink around. Stop being bad.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭

focused charge

d... You can't claim it's not fair templars need a target and we don't when we say yep, take away their target restriction, sounds good to us.

you don't want to make it fair you want to one by one remove the things that move faster than you, as clearly stated in the title of this thread.

I want to remove things that move faster than me that are locked behind a specific class or skill line that has some other requirement to it. Also I never asked you anything, all I want are balanced skills that don't give a glaring advantage to one class.
    Edited by Niffo on May 6, 2014 12:10AM
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭

I want to remove things that move faster than me that are locked behind a specific class or skill line that has some other requirement to it. Also I never asked you anything, all I want are balanced skills that don't give a glaring advantage to one class.

1. You DID ask... memory not showing strong for you. It's ok don't stress it
    2. I said sure, take away the restriction on templars... then it meets your criteria.
    3. You ignore such equalizing of criteria because... dum dum dum... you don't want a class to be faster than you, regardless of criteria.

"I want to remove things that move faster than me that are locked behind a specific class or skill line that has some other requirement to it."

We move faster than you. It is part of the point of being a sorcerer. It's like me saying nerf templars because I can't heal others as good as them... that's what THEY do.

Unless they remove bolt from the game we will be mobility masters. If you didn't stop us in 3 bolts, 15 wont matter. It's the ability to still be able to do our other jobs (mobility kings being 1 of them), that making bolt cost more power is unacceptable. 3 bolts determines weather we are out of the wood or not in many cases... it is in your heads that "you had us" until we bolted 7 times.

Argument to make it cost more only makes us be able to do everything else less... so "it's not fair" make them pay more ... is just sour grapes as always.

When DKs are only able to cast talons 2-3 times and be OOM
    Templars cast ANY heal 2-3 times and be OOM
    NB cast 3 anything and be OOM then you can argue we need to be nerfed to only be able to cast something 3 times till our useless level, and be taken serious.
  • eaglestormub17_ESO

focused charge

Really? So this game should be balanced around what YOU can do? And there's absolutely no advantage in any respect that DK, NB, or Temp have over a Sorc? And thematically, there's none that should exist when things are patched and balanced?

How about trying to make every class unique and strong instead of hammering everything into a dull, flat finish.

I love this game, but the more Zenimax listens to people like you, the more I worry.
  • Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭

1. You DID ask... memory not showing strong for you. It's ok don't stress it
    2. I said sure, take away the restriction on templars... then it meets your criteria.
    3. You ignore such equalizing of criteria because... dum dum dum... you don't want a class to be faster than you, regardless of criteria.

"I want to remove things that move faster than me that are locked behind a specific class or skill line that has some other requirement to it."

We move faster than you. It is part of the point of being a sorcerer. It's like me saying nerf templars because I can't heal others as good as them... that's what THEY do.

Unless they remove bolt from the game we will be mobility masters. If you didn't stop us in 3 bolts, 15 wont matter. It's the ability to still be able to do our other jobs (mobility kings being 1 of them), that making bolt cost more power is unacceptable. 3 bolts determines weather we are out of the wood or not in many cases... it is in your heads that "you had us" until we bolted 7 times.

Argument to make it cost more only makes us be able to do everything else less... so "it's not fair" make them pay more ... is just sour grapes as always.

When DKs are only able to cast talons 2-3 times and be OOM
    DKs don't have a 15% cost reduction to talons in their class abilities, and talons has a higher cost than Bolt Escape
    Templars cast ANY heal 2-3 times and be OOM
    Done, Templars don't have a 15% cost reduction to all of their heals, and heals have a higher cost than Bolt Escape.
    NB cast 3 anything and be OOM then you can argue we need to be nerfed to only be able to cast something 3 times till our useless level, and be taken serious.
    Done, Nightblades don't have 15% cost reduction and most of their abilities have an equal to or greater cost than Bolt Escape.

My first post in this thread was in response to the answer you gave, at no point before that did I post, trying to insult me won't change that I never asked you anything. Taking restrictions off of gap abilities is easily one of the dumbest things Zenimax could do for balance.

Sorcerers can heal as good as Templars since Surge greatly increases the healing power of resto staff heals. There isn't anything that Sorcerers can't do as good or better than other classes.

You don't want balance, what you want is a significant advantage over the other classes. No class should be able to just get out of a fight whenever they want to.
  • Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭

Really? So this game should be balanced around what YOU can do? And there's absolutely no advantage in any respect that DK, NB, or Temp have over a Sorc? And thematically, there's none that should exist when things are patched and balanced?

How about trying to make every class unique and strong instead of hammering everything into a dull, flat finish.

I love this game, but the more Zenimax listens to people like you, the more I worry.

No, the game should be balanced around the classes and skills that are available. There should be advantages just not glaring ones like a get out of jail free card.
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    @jobo11b16_ESO

Any healing sorceress do, anyone else can do because it is based on the staff line not class. If you are calling sorcerer heals OP... need start new thread.

We are versatile, no one argues that. Doesn't mean we need to be nerfed, means you need to be fixed.

IF your complaint is our magica cost reduction, stop using bolt escape as your platform... the majority of our magicka cost redux comes from the light armor line.. ~30%, greater than any class abilities by double.

No one says a plate wearing sorcerer is OP with bolt, just the 7 piece light armor ones (like me)... can't nerf bolt in that argument without ruining light armor for everyone else.

You asked ME a question, I answered. Stop quoting me, and I got nothing else for you.
  • Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭
    @jobo11b16_ESO

Any healing sorceress do, anyone else can do because it is based on the staff line not class. If you are calling sorcerer heals OP... need start new thread.

We are versatile, no one argues that. Doesn't mean we need to be nerfed, means you need to be fixed.

IF your complaint is our magica cost reduction, stop using bolt escape as your platform... the majority of our magicka cost redux comes from the light armor line.. ~30%, greater than any class abilities by double.

No one says a plate wearing sorcerer is OP with bolt, just the 7 piece light armor ones (like me)... can't nerf bolt in that argument without ruining light armor for everyone else.

You asked ME a question, I answered. Stop quoting me, and I got nothing else for you.

All that needs to be changed with Bolt Escape is adding a target requirement. The new description can say "Teleport 15 meters away from your target", now it's balanced.
    Edited by Niffo on May 6, 2014 1:32AM
  • Jyiiga
    Jyiiga
    ✭✭✭
    We all know its coming regardless of what is said in this thread. Just like we knew it was coming with vampire.
  • torplin
    torplin
    Soul Shriven
    Sorc here, the group I roll with easily catches enemy sorcs that try to bolt-escape spam, and none of us ever have to use bolt escape to catch them. The trick is simply to have someone mounted chase them down (they will be out of magicka in seconds, they remain in combat, so they can't restealth). Additionally, if you land a good stun or knockdown on the sorc, they can be blown up in about 1 second. The sorcs that have massive manage pools, magicka spell cost reduction, and the so forth which are able to spam the spell 8+ times, are very squishy and typically wear 5 pieces or more of light armor.

The problem from the crybabies in this thread, I suspect, stems from bad players who mindlessly give chase on foot or don't exercise an iota of strategy or tactics in pvp.

"MY SHIELDBASH AND DARK TALON SPAM DIDNT KILL THE ENEMY??? NERF NOW"
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    torplin wrote: »
    Sorc here, the group I roll with easily catches enemy sorcs that try to bolt-escape spam, and none of us ever have to use bolt escape to catch them. The trick is simply to have someone mounted chase them down (they will be out of magicka in seconds, they remain in combat, so they can't restealth). Additionally, if you land a good stun or knockdown on the sorc, they can be blown up in about 1 second. The sorcs that have massive manage pools, magicka spell cost reduction, and the so forth which are able to spam the spell 8+ times, are very squishy and typically wear 5 pieces or more of light armor.

The problem from the crybabies in this thread, I suspect, stems from bad players who mindlessly give chase on foot or don't exercise an iota of strategy or tactics in pvp.

"MY SHIELDBASH AND DARK TALON SPAM DIDNT KILL THE ENEMY??? NERF NOW"

Yes , exactly , because sorcs should be able to inst run from ANY 1x1 , so we should all walk in group and keep some people on horses to run after them :P.

Seems resonable , i cant see why people complain at all.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    Milky wrote: »
    So well put. Everyone wants to see big nerfs to things that are functioning properly, like DK or Sorc.

DK posts video of soloing Craglorn; class considered to be functioning properly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXdLy3KYmWc

Yeah I guess they could nerf a handful of abilities that are out of whack compared to the rest of the game... or they could just buff every other ability then re-tune the PvE content. The stupid thing is, even if they did the latter the net result is the same.

People that argue for no nerfs but rather buffs for everything else crack me up.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • beravinprb19_ESO
    beravinprb19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My build looks like this... Stampede, Obsidian Shard, Unstable Flame, Coagulating Blood, Burning Talons, Corrosive Armour. For those who are not familiar with the morphs, you can read about them on this website: http://eldersouls.com/elder-scrolls-online/skills

1. Stampede. Firstly, this requires a target. Second, it has a travel time. Third, and more importantly, Sorcerers can still bolt out of the resulting immobilize.

2. Obsidian Shard. Firstly, it is a projectile. Second, it can be counter by stun breaking, blocking, or Immovable. Third, bolt moves considerably faster than said projectile.

3. Burning Talons. This is one of the most powerful abilities I have. It can be countered by bolt itself, since you continue bolting regardless of being immobilized.

My build is designed to lock down a single target, prevent them from escaping, and to kill them. Sorcerers laugh at my build because stuns alone are not enough to kill a player, and they can simply bolt out of two abilities that I use specifically to keep them in range.
    Edited by beravinprb19_ESO on May 6, 2014 2:42AM
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Mist was OP then Bolt escape has to be and was the most broken abiility in the game.

Instant Ha Ha You cant kill me button
  • torplin
    torplin
    Soul Shriven
    Yes , exactly , because sorcs should be able to inst run from ANY 1x1 , so we should all walk in group and keep some people on horses to run after them :P.

Sorcs cannot run away from any 1vs1, and its false to say otherwise. Good pvpers have devised tricks to resolve the escape artists weeks ago (Hint: sorc isn't the only class that has escape abilities). Part of the problem is that much of cyrodiil pvp is mindless zerging by lazy and just downright awful players who want the playing field dumbed down to their level.

The mounted trick was just one, of many ways to prevent a sorc from bolt escaping. It may come as a shock to you, but there are other methods as well. But since you decided to hone in on the "inconvenience" of the one suggestion I mentioned, I'll entertain it! If a pack of 10, 20, 30+ players haven't figured out to keep ONE player mounted to catch a bolt escaping sorc, then honestly the sorc deserves to get away.
    Edited by torplin on May 6, 2014 2:35AM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorcs cannot run away from any 1vs1, and its false to say otherwise. Good pvpers have devised tricks to resolve the escape artists weeks ago (Hint: sorc isn't the only class that has escape abilities). Part of the problem is that much of cyrodiil pvp is mindless zerging by lazy and just downright awful players who want the playing field dumbed down to their level.

The mounted trick was just one, of many ways to prevent a sorc from bolt escaping. It may come as a shock to you, but there are other methods as well. But since you decided to hone in on the "inconvenience" of the one suggestion I mentioned, I'll entertain it! If a pack of 10, 20, 30+ players haven't figured out to keep ONE player mounted to catch a bolt escaping sorc, then honestly the sorc deserves to get away.

By all means , list your tricks :P.

If your only solution is , to always have a person mounted , then i dont even need to waste my time , i can just sit and wait for the nerf to hit it.

That suggestion to teleport the sorc 15 mtrs away from a target seems like a good start.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭

What 1vs1 can't a Sorcerer run from? What other escape abilities are available to other classes? Do you think its reasonable that one class requires you be on a horse to catch? The people defending Bolt Escape are as ridiculous as the ones defending Bat Swarm spam. What peopel don't seem to understand is more people will leave rather than stay when obviously overpowered things are not fixed, and when most people leave the game because of unbalanced nonsense the game closes. The only counter to a Bolt Escape sorc is another Bolt Escape sorc that is better geared.
  • Sariias
    Sariias
    ✭✭✭
    The trick is simply to have someone mounted chase them down (they will be out of magicka in seconds, they remain in combat, so they can't restealth).

My horse has +25% speed. They chase after me using bolt and catch up with me and knock me down. When I chase them with my horse they still get out of range.

• dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'v used bolt escape. i'v experienced bolt escape. it is pretty op, to cheap, to effective. Double/Triple it's cost or reduce it's distance, even the "double blink" in wow isn't this op, and that pissed people off since you could be half way across a capture the flag match in 2 clicks, but they balanced that out with extra cooldownage
    so again put a slight limiter on bolt escape, it doesn't need to much just enough to make quick reacticting actually work since i can litterally spam click it and know i'll be safe. no "Escape" should be a garentee risk free safety button
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »
    I'v used bolt escape. i'v experienced bolt escape. it is pretty op, to cheap, to effective. Double/Triple it's cost or reduce it's distance, even the "double blink" in wow isn't this op, and that pissed people off since you could be half way across a capture the flag match in 2 clicks, but they balanced that out with extra cooldownage
    so again put a slight limiter on bolt escape, it doesn't need to much just enough to make quick reacticting actually work since i can litterally spam click it and know i'll be safe. no "Escape" should be a garentee risk free safety button

Don't really need to change anything with Bolt Escape except making it require a target that is within range of the skill, lets the Sorcerer keep distance from their target without being an escape ability that no other class has.
  • Antonie
    Antonie
    ✭✭✭
    I am using the stun portion of bolt escape to join the fray in melee range and to escape out of it :)

Oh and other classes do have escaping tools as well. Just thinking of a nightblade using that one skill to walk around unseen which can be reused as much as you like untill you have no resource left.
    Edited by Antonie on May 6, 2014 5:06AM
    “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”-Albert Einstein
    Leben ist ein RPG. Was ist DEINE Rolle?-Motto von http://rpgspielen.de/

• Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭
    Antonie wrote: »
    I am using the stun portion of bolt escape to join the fray in melee range and to escape out of it :)

Oh and other classes do have escaping tools as well. Just thinking of a nightblade using that one skill to walk around unseen which can be reused as much as you like untill you have no resource left.

You can counter the Nightblade Shadow Cloak by damaging the Nightblade, two casts of Bolt Escape and the Sorcerer is gone. Bolt Escape is an unbalanced skill, the people defending it just want to keep their advantage.
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    Antonie wrote: »

Other classes can actually escape, they just have to find a way to "walk away", they have to actually use smartly their skills to escape, NB invisibilty is easily countered with AoE.
    Sorc: "Click, click, click" out of range of anyone. It takes so much effort to press a skill 3 times to escape.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be Focused Charge on the Aedric Spear skill tree.

That's a gap closer ..... and it isn't a large distance.
  • gostner.emanuelb16_ESO
    What "special" ability has the sorcerer expect bolt escape? nothing! If you take away that one spell why even play sorcerer anymore? DK has root/pull, Templar selfheal/burst, NB stealth... every class has something special, the sorcerer has an escape ability, whats the problem?