Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Now that mist form is out of the way, next up - Bolt Escape!

xhrit
xhrit
✭✭✭
Bolt Escape really needs to be hit hard with the nerf bat.

My suggestion : make it cost 3 times more, and only teleport 1/2 as far.
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just nerf the whole game to F2P.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's just make it teleport people backwards!
    Yes, that will work!

But seriously, the more people use Bolt Escape, the less recovery they have for the next few seconds and the less magicka they have to defend themselves.

Every class has an ability that allows them to jump or travel large distances in a short time, or even pull their enemies to them.
  • xhrit
    xhrit
    ✭✭✭
    Terminus wrote: »
    Every class has an ability that allows them to jump or travel large distances in a short time, or even pull their enemies to them.

You will have to show me what skill templar has that allows them to travel large distances in a short time.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe bolt escape is designed to counter melee charges. You can't just triple the cost and nerf the distance and say done. It's going to take some serious tact to balance that.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    Can you atleast name the skill for each class that does this?
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, can we do this? Would be a godsend to melee in fights with large AoE's and maybe make a charge build viable. But it would also make archers more annoying to deal with. Hmmm...

On a related note, scroll carriers will no longer be able to use bolt escape to wee-wee-wee all the way home. So there's that.
    The Psijic Order
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd prolly change it to something like a magicka version of magnum shot that required a target for a reverse charge/CC target/anti-CC yourself.
    http://esohead.com/skills/38672-magnum-shot

No more of this inability to balance it based magicka regen debuff nonsense.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • jeffreyb14_ESO3
    jeffreyb14_ESO3
    Soul Shriven
    xhrit wrote: »

You will have to show me what skill templar has that allows them to travel large distances in a short time.

That would be Focused Charge on the Aedric Spear skill tree.
  • LilMcGinley
    LilMcGinley
    ✭✭
    I think the word ESCAPE in the skill tells you all you need to know on how it is designed to be used...

It isn't called "Bolt and oh wait, come kill me now" now is it?
    Edited by LilMcGinley on May 5, 2014 7:31PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That would be Focused Charge on the Aedric Spear skill tree.
    Isn't focused charge just a gap closer, in that it needs a target to attack. The thing people refer to when they mention bolt escape, or mist, is players using it to travel distances, instead of say running or riding a horse.

Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    Kolache wrote: »
    I'd prolly change it to something like a magicka version of magnum shot that required a target for a reverse charge/CC target/anti-CC yourself.
    http://esohead.com/skills/38672-magnum-shot

No more of this inability to balance it based magicka regen debuff nonsense.

Yes, make it like this please, sorc can bolt escape faster than I can charge into them.
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just make all skills cost 100000 magicka/stamina to cast.

Then no one will be able to use anything and the game will be literally perfect.

/s
  • Wolfaen
    Wolfaen
    ✭✭✭
    Please explain what is soooo OP about bolt escape? How does it affect you in PvP? Is your character physically hurt from it or are you just emotionally hurt? Does it really give a sorcerer an advantage in PvP or do they basically just use it to run away?

I am a sorcerer and I slot Bolt escape in PvP, but it is solely used as a escape/chase ability. Sorcerer's are the squishiest class and honestly need an ability like this to survive an encounter. It is the same concept with the Nightblades shadow cloak ability. Should we nerf that too?
    Wolfaen Moltencloak | Imperial Dragon Knight
    Wolfaen Bloodcloak | Dark Elf Nightblade
    Wolfaen | High Elf Sorcerer
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wolfaen wrote: »
    It is the same concept with the Nightblades shadow cloak ability. Should we nerf that too?

It should be the same concept, but in practice it's much more feasible to AoE a NB out of cloak than it is to catch a Sorc using Bolt Escape... which should be obvious considering you don't see numerous threads complaining about cloak.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that will work!

But seriously, the more people use Bolt Escape, the less recovery they have for the next few seconds and the less magicka they have to defend themselves.

Wow really? Please , point me to my templar bolt escape , cause i missed the skill.

Cant believe i did not see it all this time , must be a morph i missed.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on May 5, 2014 8:55PM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haha keep on thinking mist form is "out of the way". ;)
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    haha keep on thinking mist form is "out of the way". ;)
    It wasn't even an issue anyway - most vamps have been running around in stage 4 with 0% reduction because all the passives are bugged.

Mist Form has never won a battle. You can't do anything during it except die.

You can be knocked out of it. It's bugged and you can be CCed during it (if the enemy player uses tab target).

It's good for escaping and that's about it, but even then there are better skills for doing that anyway.
  • Sariias
    Sariias
    ✭✭✭

That point is moot because with two jumps you can be out of range of any other spell, and by the time someone runs up to you on foot or horse you'll have recovered. The speed and distance at which you escape greatly surpasses the few seconds of downtime.

No other class can get to the horizon as easily or has anything even remotely similar to this spell. Other players need enemies in range to use such abilities.

• Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All the people in this thread that want Bolt Escape nerfed because their own class doesn't have it make me sad. Do we really not have the ability to think a game is fair unless its homogenized to all hell? Ridiculous.

Its an escape skill. Every class has a gap closer or a gap maker.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Honfold
    Honfold
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that will work!

The things is Bolt Escape can morph to stun upon use meaning that you cannot use a gap closer quick enough. Nightblade's ambush takes too long to cast to break out of a bolt escape stun and also get to the sorcerer even if you are prepared for the Bolt escape move.

Obviously the OP's proposal is way to far. Removing the stun morph would be more practical. Bolt Escape would still be viable but not guaranteed. The fact is if it was not unfair there would not be people posting about it daily. Nightblade's cloak is in no way anywhere near as effective as bolt escape or OP, if you see a nightblade use cloak just hit an AOE.

• RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    Carde wrote: »
    All the people in this thread that want Bolt Escape nerfed because their own class doesn't have it make me sad. Do we really not have the ability to think a game is fair unless its homogenized to all hell? Ridiculous.

Its an escape skill. Every class has a gap closer or a gap maker.

The thing is, no gap closer works against bolt escape because he can cast it twice faster than I can charge into him, he uses it once I use my charge, he uses it again while my charge is starting and my charge stops. If the sorc can cast it twice he's instantly out of range. No other class has such mobility, all other classes need a target for gap closer or gap makers.
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭
    Increasing mana cost the more it's spammed. I'm not a sorc, but I think the mobility is needed, and I think it would be unfair to destroy the skills use in normal fights. Currently it's being abused as an easy escape and get out of jail free card.

A balance fix to make it so it can't be used to exploit extremely long distance teleports in a short amount of time, I can support that.

Nerfing it's use as a tactical element of battle, I cannot support that.
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    The skill is broken as hell. Only 2 skills in the game let you escape harm with literally no repercussion and now it's only 1. No other class has a skill that lets you escape everything like the sorc does. Nobody else has an "OOPS I MESSED UP SO LET ME JUST TELEPORT 8 TIMES INTO SAFETY".

In PvP with any other class if you were in a terrible spot because you were outplayed you simply die. Even the all powerful DK would die if they weren't a vampire.

Just because you play sorc doesn't mean you have to be squishy, you just choose to be. There is no reason for a player to be able to teleport out of view if they messed up. Sure you have gap closers but this skill is not that. It's used specifically as an escape tool, which is fine. However in its current state this skill lets you escape EVERYTHING. In its current state it has almost no downside because you can pop a magicka potion and teleport 8 times away.

I think every class should have some sort of escape mechanism without having to take the vampire skill tree but they don't. That's fine, but just because 1 class has it inherently shouldn't mean they get a huge bonus over those that don't. Like other people have said, let there be some consequences for spamming it. Every time you use the skill you proc a countdown. If you use the skill before the countdown is up you increase the magicka usage by 30% or something. If you use the skill 3 times while the countdown is intact then your character has a 30% chance to be stunned due to overexertion. Obviously this isn't perfect but any system that allows BAD players to escape unharmed is a bad system. Reward skilled play, not poor, lazy play. Obviously this isn't the only skill that needs to be nerfed with this mantra. Broken talons is also one that needs to be adjusted, so I'm not simply blind and saying nerf this skill only. But they do need to go back and do some actual balance changes rather than just hitting things with the nerf bat.
    Edited by SuperScrubby on May 5, 2014 10:43PM
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know guys, they could just remove skills from the game. That would fix everything and be basically the same as nerfing all abilities as you seem to want.

Brilliant idea! /s
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bolt Escape really needs to be hit hard with the nerf bat.

My suggestion : make it cost 3 times more, and only teleport 1/2 as far.

When YOU can tell me how much bolt costs... then I think YOUR pov has any unbiased merrit to what it SHOULD cost.

otherwise ..|.. you don't have any information other than something is hard for you to counter.
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭

focused charge
    Edited by LadyChaos on May 5, 2014 11:34PM
  • Niffo
    Niffo
    ✭✭✭
    LadyChaos wrote: »

focused charge

Which requires a target in range to even be able to use. So what you're saying is Bolt Escape should need a target within 15 meters to before you can use it to get away? Only 1 class has an escape ability, that is an imbalance that needs to be fixed.
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭

focused charge

Which requires a target in range to even be able to use. So what you're saying is Bolt Escape should need a target within 15 meters to before you can use it to get away? Only 1 class has an escape ability, that is an imbalance that needs to be fixed.

nope, I have long since thought focused charge should be changed... how bout asking before assuming my thoughts.

you're all so pissed that someone else's stuff is working as intended.. in stead of getting your *** fixed you want working stuff nerfed.
    Edited by LadyChaos on May 5, 2014 11:39PM
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭

focused charge

nope, I have long since thought focused charge should be changed... how bout asking before assuming my thoughts.

you're all so pissed that someone else's stuff is working as intended.. in stead of getting your *** fixed you want working stuff nerfed.

Agreed.

That mentality *destroys* games. Before long you're in a situation where everything in the game is getting nerfed down to the effectiveness of the weakest skill.

That results in a game where all the abilities hit like limp wet noodles.
    Edited by ChairGraveyard on May 5, 2014 11:59PM
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭

focused charge

So well put. Everyone wants to see big nerfs to things that are functioning properly, like DK or Sorc. When those 2 classes are actually really well designed. When I rerolled from templar to DK it was pretty amazing. All the passives synergizing so well with the actives, great design.

Then you have nightblade with most of its skills bugged out, and templar with a supreme lack of build variety. It doesn't mean DK and Sorc are OP, it means Nightblade and Templar are Under Powered or bugged.

On the topic of focused charge, I'd love to aim it, or add in some other functionality like being able to charge to an ally for an additional effect.