The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Who did you sacrifice? (SPOILER)

• bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    i chose varen because it just fit the theme of sacrifice and redemption. it seemed the proper thing to do as well, lyris and sai had their whole lives ahead of them, seemed cruel to mess that up.

i also left mannimarco to his torture, due to having played the other games, i know that he eventually gets free anyhow. he truly dies in oblivion, due to hannibel travens sacrifice, why not let him suffer a bit. hell due to the way he died he is probably suffering in the soul cairn even more.
    Edited by bloodenragedb14_ESO on April 21, 2014 12:55PM
  • limeli8
    limeli8
    ✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    I also chose Varen to get rid of potential enemy in my bid for the imperial throne!!! (btw Varen isnt old, he is about same age as Lyris and Sai he just looks old because he went though some serious sh**)
    I have to give a credit to AD pack of Vampires with VR10 Night Mistress leading them (seriously VR10 10 days after the official release?).

Night Mistress - v12 Former Empress Sorcerer AD
    Night Mistress II - v12 Night Blade AD
  • Sarah_Lynn
    Sarah_Lynn
    ✭✭✭
    Sai Sahan
    Why is everyone killing Varen? D: People make mistakes, and he's not really that old. Sai Sahan, Lyris, and Abnur all look the same age as they did when they caused the rip. The reason Varen "aged" so much is because of the strain of the Elder Scrolls, and possibly the amulet. In one of the loading screens (or something I don't really remember where it is.) It explains that Varen is feeble because of the Elder Scrolls, not because he's old. Maybe I'm just too Imperial for my own good, I made up my mind that I wasn't going to kill Abnur or Varen (before I knew you couldn't actually kill tharn) and was choosing between Sai and Lyris, maybe it's because they're Imperials? Maybe it's because I like sarcasm and people who are human enough to make mistakes? Who knows.
    I spend way too much time and money on this game.
  • Sergeant_Novak
    Sergeant_Novak
    ✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Varen seemed to the most organic choice for me out of the three. It just felt right for the story.
    Kol Blakmarc - Dwemer Archeologist, Mage, Not such a great dancer
  • Sergeant_Novak
    Sergeant_Novak
    ✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Sarah_Lynn wrote: »
    Why is everyone killing Varen? D: People make mistakes, and he's not really that old. Sai Sahan, Lyris, and Abnur all look the same age as they did when they caused the rip. The reason Varen "aged" so much is because of the strain of the Elder Scrolls, and possibly the amulet. In one of the loading screens (or something I don't really remember where it is.) It explains that Varen is feeble because of the Elder Scrolls, not because he's old. Maybe I'm just too Imperial for my own good, I made up my mind that I wasn't going to kill Abnur or Varen (before I knew you couldn't actually kill tharn) and was choosing between Sai and Lyris, maybe it's because they're Imperials? Maybe it's because I like sarcasm and people who are human enough to make mistakes? Who knows.
    I suppose for people like me, you sort of more choose the characters you like the most to sacrifice themselves. I felt given the story, Varen's sacrifice just had more meaning in it. Though, that is really only my view on it.

Kol Blakmarc - Dwemer Archeologist, Mage, Not such a great dancer
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My first choice was Varen for the same reason as everybody else... however if I get an alt up to that point.. I'm picking whoever's weapon I want the most cuz you get it after they kick the bucket. Saw someone with Tharn's staff once, wonder how that happens.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was planning to sacrifice Varen. It seemed the natural choice, and I liked the Lyris and Sai Sahan characters. Sai seemed to really want the role, however. Varen seemed resigned to death, Lyris sounded like she just needed a nap, but Sai was eager to be the one. He got his wish.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Leplyn
    Leplyn
    Lyris Titanborn
    Id like to know what weapon you get from giving up Lyris, anybody know?
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I didnt know the weapon changed. I have no use for the healing staff though...
  • Eccentric
    Eccentric
    ✭✭✭
    Sai Sahan
    Leplyn wrote: »
    Id like to know what weapon you get from giving up Lyris, anybody know?

• Steyner_Tryndheim
    Is there any difference? Or is that decision just for the lore? btw lyris gives her axe ;)
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    The oldest of them.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    While I'm not at the point of the actual sacrifice yet, my choice will be Varen.

From an OOC perspective:

Lyris is a Nord and being a Nord player since the days of TES I, I most definitely won't sacrifice another Nord. Sai, being Redguard, belongs to my second favrite TES race.
    If Tharn would be an option, he'd be my choice but sadly he's needed.

From an RP perspective:

Varen's hubris started it and this is his chance to right the wrongs he commited in his past. His goals may have been noble, but his deeds brought a danger to Skyrim. Well, and to the weak milk-drinkers in the other nations I guess.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • alvinp90b16_ESO
      Varen Auilarios
      Well if the last quest would work then I would choose Varen. Because he's old and should die with honor.
      Ebonheart Pact / European Server
      L50 Magicka Nightblade / PvP Executioner
      L50 Stamina Dragonknight / PvP/PvE DPS
      L50 Stamina Sorcerer / PvP/PvE DPS(?)
      L50 Magicka Templar / PvP Healer
      Don't ask help from me for any Group Dungeons or Trials...
      ... because I've never done any of that
    • Kroin
      Kroin
      ✭✭
      Varen Auilarios
      I choose Varen, because sai and lyris will have wonderful babies XD
    • Sihnfahl
      Sihnfahl
      ✭✭✭✭
      Varen Auilarios
      Is there any difference? Or is that decision just for the lore? btw lyris gives her axe ;)
      The only differences in the end (well, as the game stands now) is that you get a different prize and the dialogue changes.

No ramifications in Vet content, the barest of mentions in 1-50 areas, and it has no bearing on things in Cyrodiil PvP or PvE.
      Sarah_Lynn wrote: »
      People make mistakes, and he's not really that old.
      There's mistakes ... and then there's mistakes that lead to the deaths of thousands of innocents. Between the Worm Cult's sacrifices, the daedric invasions made possible by the Tear and the weakening of Imperial influence resulting in the Alliance Wars....
    • Zershar_Vemod
      Zershar_Vemod
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Varen Auilarios
      I'm not at this point yet, but I'm leaning towards Varen.

I mean, he told [me] that he was ready to be sacrificed / executed after this was all over anyway. He also shouldn't be Emperor after all the crap that has happened anyway due to his greed and lust for power in the first place...he was not fit to rule and his "cheating" to become Dragonborn opened the opportunity for Nirn to be merged with Oblivion.

I really like his character, and I know he only has the appearance of an old man, and is actually only a couple years older since the event that started all of this...but it is his fault. He was the reason it all happened and when Nirn is saved, his purpose will be over.

And from what I read here, he literally becomes useless and no longer has visions, etc.
      Edited by Zershar_Vemod on April 23, 2014 3:12PM
      House Nyssara (NA)
      Black Market Traders
      Order of the Lamp Post
      Thorn Brigade
      VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    • RodrigoAndrade
      Sai Sahan
      The oldman wouldn't pose a descent sacrifice for Lord Akatosh.
      And since nobody is allowed to touch my fetish of a Nord, Sai was the best choice.
      Why didn't you warn me, you old dog? - Duke Nathaniel.
    • ColoniaCroisant
      ColoniaCroisant
      ✭✭✭
      do you get a different reward based on who you sacrifice? ive seen people with Sai Sahan's greatsword, do I have to kill him off to get it? or do I get it anyway cuz id prefer to kill off Varen........but I really want that sword........
    • Eccentric
      Eccentric
      ✭✭✭
      Sai Sahan
      I went with Sai, but I almost immediately swapped the sword for a better one at VR1(lvl 50). It is not a big deal about the weapons imho.
    • Spontaneous_Noms
      Spontaneous_Noms
      Soul Shriven
      Varen Auilarios
      The old guy. Because Lyris and Sai have a budding romance arc and Varen's an old, broken man with nothing to live for.

Besides, the fact that he apparently doesn't trust you with his real identity irks me. So screw him.
    • skyprowerb14_ESO
      Varen Auilarios
      I decided to go with Varen. A couple friends let me know beforehand that who I chose to sacrifice would determine what weapon reward I would get at the end of the questline, but since I never focused on training with two-handed swords, two-handed axes, or restoration staves, the pick was ultimately more about my moral compass than it was about gaming the system.

I'm not surprised that many people chose Varen, since the game seems to ever-so-slightly nudge players to pick him in the first place, and from the perspective of a writer, it's a fitting choice in terms of symbolism. Varen's quest for the Amulet of Kings is what caused the events of the game to eventually pan out, and since he was the one who (admittedly inadvertantly) broke the covenant with Akatosh, having him give his life to reaffirm it helps to give the events a little bit of extra weight.
      Sahraaji, Covenant Khajiit Templar, Ch90 Ranger (DPS)
      Jah'zaan, Covenant Khajiit Nightblade, Pre-Champ Acrobat (DPS)
      Cleaves-In-Two, Pact Argonian Dragonknight, Pre-Champ Mercenary (Tank)
      Cylaerin, Dominion Bosmer Sorceror, Pre-Champ Sage (Healer)
      (@SkyBlueFox1)
    • Nox_Aeterna
      Nox_Aeterna
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Varen Auilarios
      Yup , it is Varens head for me.
      "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
      -Hanlon's razor
    • SuperScrubby
      SuperScrubby
      ✭✭✭
      Sai Sahan
      I killed Sai because of the sword, nothing else. If I didn't know about the weapon you could get at the end and chose based on storyline I would have probably have either gone with Sai or Varen.

Sai since he's a dude and sacrificing a chick is weird since then you're just stuck in a giant sausage fest. With 1 guy that's a skinny angry person, an old blind dude, and a bald buff dude. Sorry don't have any homoerotic fantasies.

Varen because he's old and blind. Old people creep me out, especially Varen because he hasn't changed out of his nasty ass robes even once. Take a shower old man, I know you used to be a king, but good lord you smell.
    • tinythinker
      tinythinker
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Varen Auilarios
      Varen, which gives a really great Restoration staff.
      Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
      (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    • merfpmerfinton
      merfpmerfinton
      ✭✭✭
      Those who chose the Redguard might have also noted Lyris's words regarding "big, deep hole aching inside her". While Lyris says it's not going away so soon, I bet she is still thankful.

I've been laughing my ass off at this for like 10 minutes now. Dude must have been packin', cause Lyris is like a quarter giant.
      Edited by merfpmerfinton on April 25, 2014 12:52AM
    • Frail_Old_Man
      Frail_Old_Man
      ✭✭
      Varen Auilarios
      Varen, obviously, the man brought nothing but shame to the Empire.
      Sanguine's testers, the best testers.
      Alas we are no longer labeled as such.
    • Spriggen
      Spriggen
      ✭✭✭
      Lyris Titanborn
      Titanborn. I really didn't like her character.
    • Eccentric
      Eccentric
      ✭✭✭
      Sai Sahan
      Spriggen wrote: »
      Titanborn. I really didn't like her character.

What weapon did you get in reward?

• Brodycanuck
      Varen Auilarios
      I freed Manimarco on that quest, in hope that I could sacrifice him...yet he just disappeared to nowhere -_-
    This discussion has been closed.