The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Missing Bank Items, Bank Slots, & Skill Points

• Fusioncloud
    Fusioncloud
    Soul Shriven
    Incident Ticket Number: 140412-115581

Edit: Also, my UserID changed from @Fusioncloud‌ to @Soul.Paradox today, I'm not sure if that info will help you resolve the issue or not. I submitted the ticket when I was @Fusioncloud, but I am now @Soul.Paradox.

I submitted a ticket Saturday night 04-12-14 for losing 30 bank slots (3 bank upgrades, that's a lot of gold spent) and also since my bank was full (90/90) I lost whatever was in those 30 slots. Luckily I didn't have any gold deposited, but I lost 30 slots and 30 items. I received an email saying my issue had been resolved, but it has not been resolved at all, I'm still missing the slots and items corresponding to them. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!
    Edited by Fusioncloud on April 13, 2014 11:22PM
  • Lifacs
    Lifacs
    ✭✭✭
    Ticket Incident: 140413-108975 . Without hearing anything i was sent an email saying the status is solved. This happened to me right after i created a guild. I invited a friend to join, and then i had in-game mail. I looked and it was the imperial and explorer rewards. I sent in a ticket hoping to catch it before I lost my bank slots. When i zoned into the bank, my slots and inventory in the bank were gone along with 10k in gold roughly. The next upgrade was 6600 for my bank. I don't care about the crafted items or materials just any trophies that were stored, the invested and missing gold.
    Edited by Lifacs on April 13, 2014 11:40PM
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saerydoth wrote: »
    I am confused here, they said char rollback not only would not happen, but were not possible.... What?? Does this mean they don't back up chars individually? In this day and age how is that possible?

No MMO's back up characters individually. The server as a whole is backed up, and things that happen are referenced through database transactions. There is no way to just say "roll this character back to this date", because the data is not saved that way. Think of it this way.

On a game like Skyrim, you have a save file that holds all your progress. If something happens to the save file, or you get yourself into a bad situation/etc, you can load an earlier save file, "reverting" your character back to that point.

On an MMO, it doesn't happen that way. The server *as a whole* has snapshot backups like that, but not individual characters. Individual characters are a series of database transactions. Character looted this item, sold this item, crafted this item, bought bank space, logged off, logged on, now bank space is gone and items missing. They go back to what the logs say happened before the bank space went missing, and send you those items and fix your bank. Now, a lot of this is done through SQL scripts and not manually.

My explanation has been VASTLY simplified as to what actually happens and what's recorded in the logs, but it should give you an idea. In addition, WOW treats characters and backups *exactly* like this game does, and Blizzard doesn't have any issue restoring stuff after a compromise or a bug for the most part. In fact, WOW had a similar bug after the launch of Wrath of the Lich King. Lots of people lost ALL their pets and mounts. And they were all restored when the issue was fixed. It's comparable to what's happened here, although perhaps not *quite* as game breaking. Yes, I agree that this needs to be fixed yesterday, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them fix it.

Thanks for taking the time.. like I say, I was confused on what they meant. I know I've had chars reset and stuff replaced in many games.

To lighten it up for Zen a little here, I remember one weekend in A/C where there were some problems and that Monday they rolled the servers back to the Friday backup..

Every single person lost the entire weekend of play time, lol was there a forum frenzy for that one.

I guess by back up individually, I mean the logs, cause obviously they keep some kind of track of what you have.

Yes...MMO's (and SQL databases in general actually) have a very specific definition for "rollback" that does not fit what most people think the word means. It's really just a..."this word means exactly this and only this when dealing with an SQL database and what you said isn't technically a rollback".

The reason they don't want people thinking it is a rollback, is because if your character were *actually* rolled back, you would lose all progress you made since the bug happened, and I don't think anyone wants that. What they are going to do is not a rollback in the technical sense of the word, instead they are going to restore what you are missing.
  • cbrons
    cbrons

No MMO's back up characters individually. The server as a whole is backed up, and things that happen are referenced through database transactions. There is no way to just say "roll this character back to this date", because the data is not saved that way. Think of it this way.

On a game like Skyrim, you have a save file that holds all your progress. If something happens to the save file, or you get yourself into a bad situation/etc, you can load an earlier save file, "reverting" your character back to that point.

On an MMO, it doesn't happen that way. The server *as a whole* has snapshot backups like that, but not individual characters. Individual characters are a series of database transactions. Character looted this item, sold this item, crafted this item, bought bank space, logged off, logged on, now bank space is gone and items missing. They go back to what the logs say happened before the bank space went missing, and send you those items and fix your bank. Now, a lot of this is done through SQL scripts and not manually.

My explanation has been VASTLY simplified as to what actually happens and what's recorded in the logs, but it should give you an idea. In addition, WOW treats characters and backups *exactly* like this game does, and Blizzard doesn't have any issue restoring stuff after a compromise or a bug for the most part. In fact, WOW had a similar bug after the launch of Wrath of the Lich King. Lots of people lost ALL their pets and mounts. And they were all restored when the issue was fixed. It's comparable to what's happened here, although perhaps not *quite* as game breaking. Yes, I agree that this needs to be fixed yesterday, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them fix it.

Thank you for this...

• cbrons
    cbrons
    I am confused here, they said char rollback not only would not happen, but were not possible.... What?? Does this mean they don't back up chars individually? In this day and age how is that possible?

Thanks for taking the time.. like I say, I was confused on what they meant. I know I've had chars reset and stuff replaced in many games.

To lighten it up for Zen a little here, I remember one weekend in A/C where there were some problems and that Monday they rolled the servers back to the Friday backup..

Every single person lost the entire weekend of play time, lol was there a forum frenzy for that one.

I guess by back up individually, I mean the logs, cause obviously they keep some kind of track of what you have.

Yes...MMO's (and SQL databases in general actually) have a very specific definition for "rollback" that does not fit what most people think the word means. It's really just a..."this word means exactly this and only this when dealing with an SQL database and what you said isn't technically a rollback".

The reason they don't want people thinking it is a rollback, is because if your character were *actually* rolled back, you would lose all progress you made since the bug happened, and I don't think anyone wants that. What they are going to do is not a rollback in the technical sense of the word, instead they are going to restore what you are missing.

How exactly are they going to do this in a timely fashion? (If you have any idea, which you may or may not).

Also, why would this take several days to fix?

• scoupster
    scoupster
    I just received an email for my ticket. the beginning of the email is posted below. Is this the same thing other people are getting concerning their resolved status?

"Helping you is our passion!

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 168 hours.

If your issue has not been resolved, you can respond directly to this email. We look forward to working with you again should you need us!"
  • starkwolf
    starkwolf
    How can I check the status of my case, if I submitted it through the in-game bug report interface? Or am I supposed to submit tickets to which I want some response in some other way?

Lost bank slots, gold from bank and assumably some items from the lost slots.

Case 140413-076680
  • Kyrori
    Kyrori
    Chiming in as someone else who was hit by this bug. The ticket response I received is below:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

We are currently investigating a fix for the issue regarding bank space.
    We are confident at this time that no slots and no items have been lost, and that we will be able to return your belongings to you in a future patch. We recommend that players not purchase additional bank spaces, as they may be lost when this is fixed in an upcoming patch. If you are out of room and need to purchase more bank slots, please contact customer support once this issue is resolved, and we will be happy to assist you.
    We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask that you please bear with us as we work on a solution.
    Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Warm Regards,
    <Name Redacted>
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

So that means three things:

1) We're supposedly getting our items back, it will just take a patch fix, which I'm hoping is Tuesday.
    2) Don't buy additional bank slots! I'm assuming however they're going to fix this will erase what you chose to spend after, so save your money.
    3) I cannot emphasize this enough: CHILL. It is a GAME. We're talking less than a month for the release of an MMO from a company who is not used to them. *** happens, it will be dealt with. Keep calm and carry on and all that jazz. If it really bothers you, disengage and play another game for a few days. While it's awesome that everyone here is so plainly passionate about ESO - and that truly is spectacular! - overreaction helps no one.

As for the individuals who lost more than their bank ( like skill points, etc): That sucks. That really, truly sucks and I hope they fix this asap for you guys. I know it must feel horrible for you all right now, but have a little faith. <3
  • EvaXenoPhon
    The same thing has just happened to me: bought the 90 slots today, bank was practically filled up, was playing "who gets what" between my crafting characters and--when I loaded with one of my characters--my bank was empty and lost all upgrades.

I quickly logged out and back in--some of my stuff returned, but--since the bank caps out at 60 slots--I lost approximately 30 items.

From what it sounds like from skimming over this thread--this issue hasn't been resolved yet nor has everyone been properly helped in their situation...

Off to post a Support Ticket I guess...

G'luck everyone!
  • Dallie
    Dallie
    ✭✭
    Guys, leave the general comments for the other twenty threads please. This is supposed to be for tickets and updating CS with pertinent info, regarding the bank issue only. The less clutter we have in this thread, the better. I'm all for giving them less to sift through so we can get this nonsense handled.

At least that way they can return back to fixing the random myriad of quest and NPC bug-outs...
    Edited by Dallie on April 13, 2014 11:33PM
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    cbrons wrote: »

How exactly are they going to do this in a timely fashion? (If you have any idea, which you may or may not).

Also, why would this take several days to fix?

The game is really one big SQL database. Basically, the DBA's (database administrators) have to find out where the problem is first (I suspect they have located the underlying cause already). Then they have to develop a script that will go through the character tables and "blanket fix" the issue for everyone. "Bought bank slots" will show as an SQL transaction, for example. It is impossible to go through the database and fix every person by hand, it's simply too large.

This has to be tested extensively (probably on internal copies of the database) to make sure it will fix the problem and not break things further. Once they are sure it works, then they will deploy it on the live database during a maintenance (the database has to be offline for this type of operation).

Here is an example SQL script I found on a random website just to show how complex things can get. It is not representative of the game at all, but it is an example of using a script to fix a problem in the database.

-- cr_spatial_index.sql
    --
    -- Note: if geometries do not span more than 1 row, you can remove
    -- the DISTINCT qualifier from the SELECT statement
    --
    declare
    cursor c1 is SELECT DISTICT sdogid from POLYGON_SDOGEOM;
    gid number;
    i number;
    begin
    i := 0;
    for r in c1 loop
    begin
    gid:= r.sdo_gid;
    sdo_admin.update_index_fixed('POLYGON', gid, 15, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE);
    exeption when others then
    dbms_output.put_line('error for gid'||to_char(gid)||': '||SQLERRM );
    end;
    i:= i + 1;
    if i = 50 then
    commit;
    i:= 0;
    end if;
    endloop;
    commit;
    end;
    /
  • Targanwolf
    I lost 10 slots and the items that were in those slots.
  • poe11371b14_ESO
    poe11371b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I now have suffer two bank wipe bugs. Loss of several updates to my bank space and two full banks of items. Will go look to see about skill points and horses. This has gotten way out of hand and needs to be fixed NOW, not the next "update" or "patch" as those have only seem to compounded the issues we have been dealing with this past week.

There had better be compensation for those who affected - replacing the slots, items lost, gold lost - but I doubt there will be. The loss of items, to a crafter, is affecting game play. The loss of items (armor, weapons) gathered and banked for our characters is affecting game play. I feel apprehensive to go back in and continue to play as I may lose such items again and again. Not stopping gameplay progression in fear of a rollback but out of fear of losing what I have earned and are holding onto or using.

My (closed due to reporting them over 100 days ago, that needs to be fixed as well) incident report numbers:
    140413-105132
    140413-129647
  • eou72b16_ESO
    I just had the bank bug happen to me as well. Bank was reset from 80 slots to 60 slots. I also had 2000gp in bank which is now gone Can I get my 2 slot purchases back as well as my gold? I have 56 out of 60 items in bank now but I previously had around 7--80 items so who knows what items got randomly deleted as well. This bug is a game changer if not fixed.
  • Ichikai
    Ichikai
    I was affected by this bug during early access. Lost everything in bank (including monkey pet, pledge of mara etc). Not entirely sure if I had purchased any bank upgrades at that point.

I encountered the bug after I had started playing my second character. At some point when I was trying to use the shrine from khenarti's roost to (i forgot the AD city, but basically the next area). It said character transfer failed and at that point I couldn't do much else so I relogged. Ended up under the ocean at the edge of the map NW of khenarti's roost. Jumped on my horse and ran all the way back to shore (underwater horse ftw) when nearing the shore I started swimming all of a sudden :stuck_out_tongue:.
    At this point I still had no clue what had happened to my bank. But when I reached the bank it was completely empty.

Perhaps it's also worth mentioning that prior to creating the character, I deleted a character that was holding the name.

I concluded it had something to do with playing multiple characters and have refrained from doing so ever since. I've not yet *knocks on wood* been affected by it again. As I've seen others claim to have been. Totally mortifying since I've filled up my bank and expanded it to 100+ slots.

So far so good. I would like to play another character in the near future though.
  • longbow66
    longbow66
    Heh, I have SQL scripts at my job that are hundreds of queries grouped together, thousands of lines long. :)

BTW, the DB doesn't necessarily have to be offline to do this kind of work, it merely makes it a LOT easier on the person doing the work.

If I had to guess, since my account got reset back to "new" status, some "get char info" query timed out, the info requested wasn't sent up, and then something caused the app server to "save", and since part of it was never filled in, it saved that part incorrectly overtop the real data. Thus the bank gets truncated at 60, emails were resent since the char looked new, etc. At least, that's what my version of this bug looks like. There could be many if the people designing/programming the thing didn't know what they were doing.
  • osaxonoub17_ESO2
    My issue is not solved. Do not have my missing 20 slots back nor the items that were in them.

Helping you is our passion!

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 168 days.

If your issue has not been resolved, you can respond directly to this email. We look forward to working with you again should you need us!

Subject

I lost 20 slots in my bank to include the items.

Response By Email (Bruno) (04/13/2014 05:34 AM)
    Greetings fellow adventurer !

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

We are deeply sorry to hear that you are experiencing the reported occurrence and for the obvious inconvenience this is causing. We currently have a specialized team working on this issue in order to fix it as soon as possible.
    All items and bank slots lost will be returned and we advise you to not purchase any additional bank spaces until the next patch comes up as they may be lost again.
    We , once more apologize, and ask you to please bear with us as we work on a solution.

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Warm Regards,
    Bruno
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

Question Reference # 140413-012769

•Date Created: 04/13/2014 05:27 AM
    •Date Last Updated: 04/13/2014 05:34 AM

• aid9.21.78ub17_ESO
    aid9.21.78ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Incident: 140413-104886
    Incident: 140413-107315

happened to me today around 4:30pm lost 3 upgrades to the bank a little over 4k gold that was stored in the bank. not sure if i lost any items as some were put back in my characters bags
    hope it gets fixed soon. i dont want to play till its fixed cause of lack of space makes the game no fun.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    longbow66 wrote: »
    Heh, I have SQL scripts at my job that are hundreds of queries grouped together, thousands of lines long. :)

BTW, the DB doesn't necessarily have to be offline to do this kind of work, it merely makes it a LOT easier on the person doing the work.

If I had to guess, since my account got reset back to "new" status, some "get char info" query timed out, the info requested wasn't sent up, and then something caused the app server to "save", and since part of it was never filled in, it saved that part incorrectly overtop the real data. Thus the bank gets truncated at 60, emails were resent since the char looked new, etc. At least, that's what my version of this bug looks like. There could be many if the people designing/programming the thing didn't know what they were doing.

That's the most sensible description I've heard yet of the bug. Now we just have to find out what is triggering it, so those of us it hasn't happened to can avoid it. SOMETHING must be triggering this.
  • veneficus
    veneficus
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

I am still missing the extra 40 bank slots (I had a 100) and the gold I deposited (cannot remember the exact amount; I think it was 1500 or so). I think most of my items that disappeared have reappeared in character bags.

Until I know this issue is fixed I have been avoiding using the bank other than for a quick swap of stuff I don't mind losing. However I still need my problem fixed so if this is being done manually then I still need assistance please.

Incident: 140407-014560
  • quatzacoatlb16_ESO
    I kinda get the whole bank issue but that doesnt explain why my inventories are almost empty too and all my gold is gone.... it almost looked like i had been hacked cos all my craft upgradeble items were gone and the crappy stuff i put in it first was still there. And they keep saying theyre fixing bank issues etc. What about inventory/gold/skill issues? I dont remember exaclty how many items i had of what kind as i never expected this to happen. i'm also afraid to play now since alot of ppl keep complaining about i happening several times now...

And i got a mail saying my sissues would be addressed and hopefully fixed in tuesdays patch. And if they werent that i had to make another ticket.....
  • shinkicker444rwb17_ESO
    just happened to me... 100+ bank slots gone, gear gone. This is total BS. God, makes me almost want to stop playing. So god damn angry right now.
    Edited by shinkicker444rwb17_ESO on April 13, 2014 11:53PM
  • shaka.love.my.birmanb16_ESO
    my bank reset two times...........

lost 20 slots, 20 items "first time' and 15 "second time", nearby 400 golds "second time'......

ticket number

140408-059448

thanks
  • Cuddlekins
    Have submitted various tickets for this issue. My gold/slots were not refunded after the maintenance. Most recent ticket is: 140404-055911
  • Dallie
    Dallie
    ✭✭
    Are you kidding me. I just got hit with the bug yet again, 36 hours after the previous one. I have done nothing with the bank, except to swap items, which I was in the process of doing when it hit again.

FIX THIS NOW! I know there are folks who have been affected for almost ten days, but whatever you have to do to get this corrected, do it. I would highly recommend an apology and compensation at this point, it's simply not acceptable, and you're going to lose a ton of future revenue from this one issue alone.

Again, the information from the original ticket:

Question Reference # 140412-007603

Date Created: 04/12/2014 01:44 AM
    Date Last Updated: 04/12/2014 12:04 PM
    Edited by Dallie on April 13, 2014 11:59PM
  • Vostok
    Vostok
    Soul Shriven
    My bank was completely wiped out on April 1st. None of those 70/70 items were returned to me. I get an email from ESO English Support saying "We assume your issue has been resolved." Why would they think that? Reference #140401-056123.

Because of bank incident #1, I avoided upgrading the bank and used alts to tediously manage inventory. So today, April 13th, I relog to an alt and immdediately noticed I had mail. Is it stuff from my hirelings? Is it gold spam? No, it was the explorer's pack. I knew what had just happened. Went straight to the bank and yep all gone. At least one other person in chat mentioned that they also lost their bank at the same time. Some others talked about it buy I think they were talking about past events. I tried relogging to the same character and 60 out of 70 items reappeared minus 10 bank slots and 2,000 Daggerfall dollars.

I hate Angier Stower. I hate her so so much.

The first bank wipe was preceded by the second vanity pet mail.q6dhph5e9wvo.jpg

http://imgur.com/7VtGGsl

Other than relog I didn't do anything weird. I don't use add-ons or mods. It didn't crash or hang.

• bre_czko
    bre_czko
    Soul Shriven
    Ticket 140413-006518 - My bank slot upgrade to 90 slots is still missing, I think my missing items where shunted to another character who luckily from what I have heard had space to receive them. Given you have advised us not to re-upgrade bank slots assuming we have the gold, what are we to do in the meantime. Using mules is all very well, but the time lost moving things around to do so is a pain in the backside.
  • Cuddlekins
    Literally 1 minute ago I logged onto an alt and my entire bank was wiped. was at 55/60 slots and now I am at 3/60. The only items left are the Collector's Edition maps I had left in there. So, now I've been over a week having lost all the gold for the extra 30 slots I had purchased, while being given the run-around by customer service, and now all of my crafting materials, gear upgrades, and so on have poofed too. If this isn't fixed by end of week, I am done with this game and you've lost my subscription.
  • Comet201
    Comet201
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, can we get a status update please?
    Character: Aeries, v14 DK DC
    Guilds: No Mercy, Lion Guard
This discussion has been closed.