The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Missing Bank Items, Bank Slots, & Skill Points

• Withoutsoul
    I also wonder what is the best way for them to return items? In mail? That means 20 mails just for me - 120 items and gold. Hard restore? Won't work because some people placed other items in bank already. Curious
  • jhenkelb16_ESO
    This is my first post on the forum.

I lost my bank upgrades and gold for the SECOND time. After the first loss over a week ago, everything seemed fine, so I bought some bank upgrades again, things still seemed fine, and finally I decided to try to transfer 15k gold from my main to my alt for her to finally get a fast horse.

THEN, the bank reset on me again, of all times. Email and phone support offered nothing but apologies, and are "unable" to reimburse the losses.

I cancelled my subscription just now.

I'm really bummed. I LOVE this game and was very much enjoying it, even forgiving the first time the bank reset on me. I lost a lot more the second time the bank reset. I can't continue to play if I just lose everything on a whim. Sorry, this is gamebreaking for me.

If I get reimbursed, I'll reinstate my game subscription, but it looks like that's not happening.
  • KindaMayvelle
    KindaMayvelle
    ✭✭✭
    They already stated they would return all lost items/gold via in-game mail...however, that was BEFORE people started basically losing ALL their stuff, not just what was in their bank. I'm assuming they'll still do it through in-game mail... but if so, that's a lot of mail to send.
  • DarkforceX
    #140401-056233 and #140403-049360. Missing 2 bank upgrades and maybe some items since April 1st. Have only logged in a few times after that to check if anything got solved and to get my crafting mails.
  • TheTycoon
    TheTycoon
    Just happened again... was not foolish enough to upgrade my bank again, so hopefully switching characters again will bring my stuff back.
    If you like fishing and want to join a guild focused on fishing and role playing, send me a message on the forums or in-game @TycoonBarnaby
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tweek wrote: »
    Saerydoth wrote: »
    They already said IN THIS THREAD that people will be getting their items and bank tabs back. It will have to be done during a server maintenance, probably with a patch involved, to fix it for everyone.

They probably have the DBA's working on a SQL script to fix it as we speak, and are planning to implement it during maintenance.

For the sake of this game, I really hope so.

From what I've been able to observe, the symptoms of what's happening definitely points to a messed up SQL table somewhere. Granted, I have no knowledge of the game's database structure (it's probably immensely complex with hundreds of thousands of tables, and each table having possibly millions of entries). But like I said, I'm sure they have the database administrators on it. Based on what's said, I'm willing to bet that they've already found the cause and have either implemented a fix or are in the process of implementing one. This will involve low level work on the database itself, and will have to be done with the database in an offline state (hence during maintenance).

Once again, I'm probably oversimplying the problem because my knowledge of SQL is fairly limited.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is my first post on the forum.

I lost my bank upgrades and gold for the SECOND time. After the first loss over a week ago, everything seemed fine, so I bought some bank upgrades again, things still seemed fine, and finally I decided to try to transfer 15k gold from my main to my alt for her to finally get a fast horse.

THEN, the bank reset on me again, of all times. Email and phone support offered nothing but apologies, and are "unable" to reimburse the losses.

I cancelled my subscription just now.

I'm really bummed. I LOVE this game and was very much enjoying it, even forgiving the first time the bank reset on me. I lost a lot more the second time the bank reset. I can't continue to play if I just lose everything on a whim. Sorry, this is gamebreaking for me.

If I get reimbursed, I'll reinstate my game subscription, but it looks like that's not happening.

Read the moderator posts in this thread. They already said that everyone that experienced this issue will get their stuff back. They only wanted tickets submitted so they could track who it was happening to...your ticket won't have to stay open for them to fix it. The messages you get from support SHOULD indicate this, but some of the reps may not know or may be giving the wrong information, but it shouldn't matter.

There is going to be a blanket "fix the problem for everyone" patch during maintenance.
  • alive741
    alive741
    I've posted updates on my situation a couple times in the other thread. Friday night (early Saturday technically) around 1 am EST I was questing in shadowfen, went back dumped my gear, bank was fine. I went back out, quested more..went back to dump again, and bank was gone. My character randomly received some of the items back, others are definitely missing. Most was research gear and crafting mats, I definitely lost an invigorated shien blue recipe. I had a 110 slot bank, my next upgrade was the 28k one. I had somewhere between 6 and 9k in there which also disappeared.

I put a ticket in, got generic, garbage robot responses either asking me for info I had already given or telling me it had been fixed already (obviously not). They keep calling my ticket solved.

Since then I had 4 more bank resets on Saturday, one today (Sunday). I'm only using the bank to transfer items. I would use the guild bank, however that's bugged too and items disappear consistently from it. About 1/5 items on average, I tested it with some crafted garbage gear.. All the items from these later resets (NOT THE FIRST RESET) come back when I relog into another character, likely because it's less than 60 items.

These are my two ticket numbers, no clue if either are atill active, they call them solved and basically just tell me to tough it out.

140412-005812
    140412-006735

Edit to include new ticket number:
    140413-125167
    Edited by alive741 on April 13, 2014 10:49PM
  • TurkeyBurgers
    TurkeyBurgers
    ✭✭
    They already stated they would return all lost items/gold via in-game mail...however, that was BEFORE people started basically losing ALL their stuff, not just what was in their bank. I'm assuming they'll still do it through in-game mail... but if so, that's a lot of mail to send.

I don't care if they send an adoring fan to come out and physically trade me me items back one at a time to me. I just lost I estimate over100K of gold worth of crafting materials, inventory slots, unique in game vanity pets, treasure maps, one of a kind quest rewards. All gone.

If they want to send it all back through in game email? Fine by me.

My question is do they even have the capability to restore our characters and our lost items? Do they have a support team competent enough to get this done.

Or was there absolutely zero planning and preparation to get situated for a contingency such as this and it is "tough luck EA games it's in the game gib us 15 a month or leave kiddo" type of customer support I will be experiencing? I have seen mixed reports. Some people are saying the customer support team is simply marking these as resolved and saying "Tough luck we can't fix it, we don't know how, we are too incompetent to restore your lost items" and other people are saying they said they will restore everything shortly.

I am still holding out on this and hoping it will be the later. I like this game a lot but there is no way I will continue to put my time and money into something so incredibly horribly game breaking and progress crushing.

• pattesatanb16_ESO
    pattesatanb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Is it remotely possible that this bug is being caused by having alts that skipped the Coldharbor tutorial? I mean, this feature is something that was added *right* at the end of beta, and thus may not have been fully tested.

If so, that would explain why it didn't happen to me - I do have 2 alts, but I did Coldharbor on both of them.

Something really fishy going on, I swapped between 2 chars, saw the screen "blink", I had new mail, and yes, the pre-order stuff again....and had lost 20 slots in bank, wich was full, made a new alt, and didnt even get to choose if I wanted to skip coldharbour, wich I always had the choice to do on my other 6 alts......
    Edited by pattesatanb16_ESO on April 13, 2014 10:52PM
  • FoundedVictory
    I am also missing 1 bank upgrade here is my ticket #140413-103929
    no items are missing since my bank was not full, luckily i just cleaned it out
    Edited by FoundedVictory on April 13, 2014 10:53PM
  • dbennett707cub18_ESO
    UrielX wrote: »
    I'm in the completely destroyed character camp. No bank, no inventory, naked and no spent skill points.

First ingame ticket =140412-114386.... That was prior to maintenance. That was 19 hours ago, I supposedly was getting escalated.

I made another ticket via email to add more information since there wasn't a server rollback after maintenance.

Second ticket number was 140413-018071. This person is either totally incompetent, or not even a real person. I wrote back because the initial response was the generic "bank bug" and clearly that's not the problem I had. I've heard nothing since, but I got an exit survey (after I replied asking to talk to someone higher up).

Yes dude - your issue is way more serious, but also less common from what I see. Probably the guy just assumed you are "bank bug" guy, since that is the code for them. None of us here lost skillpoints. I lost bank 3 or 4 times, but I checked all alts - they have mats in inv., inv upgrades, all skills. Hopefully they will fix your issue as well when they fix the banks.

I lost skillpoints.
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭

I don't care if they send an adoring fan to come out and physically trade me me items back one at a time to me. I just lost I estimate over100K of gold worth of crafting materials, inventory slots, unique in game vanity pets, treasure maps, one of a kind quest rewards. All gone.

My question is do they even have the capability to restore our characters and our lost items? Do they have a support team competent enough to get this done.

Or was there absolutely zero planning and preparation to get situated for a contingency such as this and it is "tough luck EA games it's in the game gib us 15 a month or leave kiddo" type of customer support I will be experiencing? I have seen mixed reports. Some people are saying the customer support team is simply marking these as resolved and saying "Tough luck we can't fix it, we don't know how, we are too incompetent to restore your lost items" and other people are saying they said they will restore everything shortly.

I am still holding out on this and hoping it will be the later. I like this game a lot but there is no way I will continue to put my time and money into something so incredibly horribly game breaking and progress crushing.

From what my buddy tells me you aren't going to get your stuff back....once you get hit with this bug all of your items and gold are gone and there is nothing they can really do about it. They will not give you your items or gold back from what I have read and seen.

My friend lost over 50K gold and about 15 epics and a ton of temp alloys and kuta runes worth about 1K-5K each. It took customer support three days to answer my friend by changing his ticket to "escalated" then they sent him a jokey retort about mudcrabs getting at his items......he was nauseated and canceled his sub.

Speaking of subs he has 100K+ followers on youtube and is making a video about this whole experience right now and encouraging his friend of 750K+ subs to do the same. Great for the game I would imagine.

I really hope Zenimax publicly states they're giving everyone their lost items and gold back, otherwise this game is going to go downhill very fast.

Gotta say this is all a shame...cause I really love this game.
    Edited by Tweek on April 13, 2014 10:56PM
  • Osi
    Osi
    ✭✭✭
    They already said IN THIS THREAD that people will be getting their items and bank tabs back. It will have to be done during a server maintenance, probably with a patch involved, to fix it for everyone. I've done a little bit of work on SQL databases, and while I'm certainly no expert, and wouldn't be able to work as a DBA somewhere, I know that a bug like this could be caused by something like an errant ' in one place in a table with hundreds of thousands of entries.

They probably have the DBA's working on a SQL script to fix it as we speak, and are planning to implement it during maintenance.
    I do worry however, that if you moved items out of and into your bank AFTER the disconnect occurred, how will they handle return of those items? We could see quite a bit of dupping if not handled correctly.
  • KindaMayvelle
    KindaMayvelle
    ✭✭✭

So far I have only seen one person claim that their stuff would not be returned...I've been haunting the forums since April 1st and reading every thread related to this problem, and 99% of the people who have been contacted by CS have been told the items will be restored (and I'm not just talking about the blanket e-mails sent out -- I was among the fortunate to get an actual human being on the other end of my ticket who told me in plain terms what they knew at the time).

So I think you hoping for the latter will pay out in the end. I think it comes down to a matter of WHEN they'll be able to do it. With all the people affected by now, it'll probably take awhile after they finally manage to implement a fix for the cause itself.
  • Osi
    Osi
    ✭✭✭

From what my buddy tells me you aren't going to get your stuff back....once you get hit with this bug all of your items and gold are gone and there is nothing they can really do about it. They will not give you your items or gold back from what I have read and seen.

My friend lost over 50K gold and about 15 epics and a ton of temp alloys and kuta runes worth about 1K-5K each. It took customer support three days to answer my friend by changing his ticket to "escalated" then they sent him a jokey retort about mudcrabs getting at his items......he was nauseated and canceled his sub.

Speaking of subs he has 100K+ followers on youtube and is making a video about this whole experience right now and encouraging his friend of 750K+ subs to do the same. Great for the game I would imagine.

I really hope Zenimax publicly states they're giving everyone their lost items and gold back, otherwise this game is going to go downhill very fast.

Dragged down by the very people who don't really care about ESO as a story driven MMO. This could have been any MMO to them; they raced through it like any other MMO and didn't really take the game in.

• KindaMayvelle
    KindaMayvelle
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what your definition of "stating things publicly" would be...but for what it's worth, the mods have stated in several of the threads that yes, people's items will be restored. Whether ALL the items will manage to be restored, even I'm not entirely sure (or if they'll be restored all at once or piecemeal since there's a lot of items to restore). It had better be ALL the items, though, at least for others. I personally don't care if I don't get EVERYTHING back, but I know everyone else does, and so ZOS better make sure they don't miss a single thing when they pick over the logs to restore items. It would go very badly for them if they didn't, I think.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭

The email replies you get from support are not necessarily an indication as to what's going to happen on this issue. The moderators posting in this thread have indicated that you WILL be getting all your stuff back, and that the people who were told they weren't, were misinformed. They PM'd a couple of people to see the responses they got, meaning that the support people answering tickets aren't always giving accurate information.

The tickets do not have to stay open for the issue to be fixed. They wanted the tickets opened, basically so they could put them in a pile and get an idea of the scope of the issue. I've seen major issues like this happen in other online games, and for something like this that impacts a large number of people, the tickets are used to gather information on the scope of the issue, and are closed saying it will be fixed with a patch.

The actual fix is going to happen during maintenance and should blanket everyone who had this issue.
  • VampericKitteh
    VampericKitteh
    Soul Shriven
    Submitted the ticket 4/13/14 around 2am CDT it's telling me that it's "solved" and clearly it isn't.
    Question Reference # 140413-002893
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭
    Osi wrote: »

Dragged down by the very people who don't really care about ESO as a story driven MMO. This could have been any MMO to them; they raced through it like any other MMO and didn't really take the game in.

Yup very true, and as an avid MMO gamer this experience is not acceptable.

I have also been playing TES since Morrowind(though played daggerfall after Morrowind), and I gotta say this game is alot of fun...but this needs to be fixed, or all the MMO gamers(and some elder scrolls gamers) will be gone and soon after the game will be dead.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am confused here, they said char rollback not only would not happen, but were not possible.... What?? Does this mean they don't back up chars individually? In this day and age how is that possible?
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • cbrons
    cbrons
    IS THERE AN UPDATE YET ON THIS SITUATION??????
  • Infernia
    Infernia
    I haven't logged in since early access stopped (work+life eating away my free time).
    I had only upgraded my bank slots once but it was already full as was my main character's upgraded bag slots. I have only one alt with a bag about 1/2 full.
    I didn't realize we had to pick a sub 'type' before activating the 30 days until I tried logging today. I hope that by waiting I may avoid the bug altogether. I hope.
    I'm a bit afraid to log in at the moment. Anyone know if waiting will help or is it just wishful thinking?
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am confused here, they said char rollback not only would not happen, but were not possible.... What?? Does this mean they don't back up chars individually? In this day and age how is that possible?

No MMO's back up characters individually. The server as a whole is backed up, and things that happen are referenced through database transactions. There is no way to just say "roll this character back to this date", because the data is not saved that way. Think of it this way.

On a game like Skyrim, you have a save file that holds all your progress. If something happens to the save file, or you get yourself into a bad situation/etc, you can load an earlier save file, "reverting" your character back to that point.

On an MMO, it doesn't happen that way. The server *as a whole* has snapshot backups like that, but not individual characters. Individual characters are a series of database transactions. Character looted this item, sold this item, crafted this item, bought bank space, logged off, logged on, now bank space is gone and items missing. They go back to what the logs say happened before the bank space went missing, and send you those items and fix your bank. Now, a lot of this is done through SQL scripts and not manually.

My explanation has been VASTLY simplified as to what actually happens and what's recorded in the logs, but it should give you an idea. In addition, WOW treats characters and backups *exactly* like this game does, and Blizzard doesn't have any issue restoring stuff after a compromise or a bug for the most part. In fact, WOW had a similar bug after the launch of Wrath of the Lich King. Lots of people lost ALL their pets and mounts. And they were all restored when the issue was fixed. It's comparable to what's happened here, although perhaps not *quite* as game breaking. Yes, I agree that this needs to be fixed yesterday, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them fix it.
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 13, 2014 11:15PM
  • Exivus1
    Exivus1
    If I don't get the gold back that was lost I'm going to be livid.
  • Charkat
    Charkat
    ✭✭
    Question Reference # 140412-093040

Ahem... no it hasn't been solved. I still don't have my bank slots returned. Swing and a miss. Care to try again?
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charkat wrote: »
    Question Reference # 140412-093040

Ahem... no it hasn't been solved. I still don't have my bank slots returned. Swing and a miss. Care to try again?

They are marking the tickets solved because the tickets do not need to remain open to fix the issue. They are not fixing it on an individual basis for each person, they are going to roll out a blanket fix during maintenance that will hit everyone who had the issue. The tickets in this case are being used as a tracking tool. The closure message should state, that a patch will resolve the issue.

I dealt with an issue almost *exactly* like this during the launch of Wrath of the Lich King. It was a HORRIBLY buggy launch, servers crashed several times and people lost ALL of their mounts and pets. Blizzard closed the tickets with the same message that Zenimax is using, and after a couple of days when it was resolved, we all got our mounts and pets in the mail.
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 13, 2014 11:19PM
  • Chandley
    Chandley
    Question Reference # 140413-110408

Date Created: 04/13/2014 05:06 PM
    Date Last Updated: 04/13/2014 06:23 PM

Every time I send an email saying that it is NOT solved, I just get a response back saying "Solved" and nothing else. Not even a sentence pointing here actually. I had to google this.

Had just bought the 90 slot upgrade, filled my bank, and logged out to go to one of my other characters. Easily lost 30 items there. Never mind the 11k for the bank slots. Hope responding here gets something, the CSRs on the other end of the in game help dont seem to want to do anything. Not even write a sentence in explanation. Really frustrating, bad customer service that.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

No MMO's back up characters individually. The server as a whole is backed up, and things that happen are referenced through database transactions. There is no way to just say "roll this character back to this date", because the data is not saved that way. Think of it this way.

On a game like Skyrim, you have a save file that holds all your progress. If something happens to the save file, or you get yourself into a bad situation/etc, you can load an earlier save file, "reverting" your character back to that point.

On an MMO, it doesn't happen that way. The server *as a whole* has snapshot backups like that, but not individual characters. Individual characters are a series of database transactions. Character looted this item, sold this item, crafted this item, bought bank space, logged off, logged on, now bank space is gone and items missing. They go back to what the logs say happened before the bank space went missing, and send you those items and fix your bank. Now, a lot of this is done through SQL scripts and not manually.

My explanation has been VASTLY simplified as to what actually happens and what's recorded in the logs, but it should give you an idea. In addition, WOW treats characters and backups *exactly* like this game does, and Blizzard doesn't have any issue restoring stuff after a compromise or a bug for the most part. In fact, WOW had a similar bug after the launch of Wrath of the Lich King. Lots of people lost ALL their pets and mounts. And they were all restored when the issue was fixed. It's comparable to what's happened here, although perhaps not *quite* as game breaking. Yes, I agree that this needs to be fixed yesterday, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them fix it.

Thanks for taking the time.. like I say, I was confused on what they meant. I know I've had chars reset and stuff replaced in many games.

To lighten it up for Zen a little here, I remember one weekend in A/C where there were some problems and that Monday they rolled the servers back to the Friday backup..

Every single person lost the entire weekend of play time, lol was there a forum frenzy for that one.

I guess by back up individually, I mean the logs, cause obviously they keep some kind of track of what you have.
    Edited by Etchesketch on April 13, 2014 11:21PM
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Charkat
    Charkat
    ✭✭
    @Saerydoth‌
    From the original post:

If you submitted a help request for this issue, are still experiencing it, and your ticket was erroneously closed as "Resolved", please reply to this thread with your ticket number.

This is exactly what we were asked to do.
This discussion has been closed.