Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer Blink OP

• Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    there are times when a NB "instant ports to me" and tries to stunlock me and kill me, I throw down my ultimate to stun him and use a potion. He disappears and stealths away. Even with my mage light I can't find him - so do I get upset because I can't pursue him and NB are too fast to stealth away?

Stay on top of him and AoE when he cloaks. Unlike the "just charge whenever they bolt" suggestion, this actually works.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • Zaldoras
    Zaldoras
    ✭✭✭
    Not OP. Sorry guys, just because you want easy kills, you're not going to have it against Sorcerors who opt to use blink in their build (and as others are rightly pointing out - if they are blinking, they aren't killing, and that's ability slots taken for defence instead of offence). If you make it so that blink can no longer allow you to get away, blink becomes useless as it no longer fulfills its intended purpose. If you want to be effective vs blink Sorcerers, you need to adapt your builds, get some speed buffs (there is one not dependent on class) or more CC, and stop expecting Zenimax to adapt your opponent's build just so you don't have to change yours. Alternatively, keep your current build, let them get away and kill someone else and swallow your pride. If I can chase down Sorcerors with Light Horse +20% speed buff, then immobilise and destroy them whilst they have no Magicka, then so can you!
    Edited by Zaldoras on April 15, 2014 12:46AM
  • johnwhitegm_ESO
    Amen to that Zaldoras
  • joanjett
    joanjett
    ✭✭✭
    Hit the nail right on the head with that statement Zaldoras
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
  • Dominulf
    Dominulf
    ✭✭✭
    Blink is just as offensive as it is defensive. They can engage and disengage any combat situation whenever they want. Just yesterday we had two Sorcs blinking in and out of our large group picking people off and there was nothing we could do about it because they could put huge amounts of distance between us whenever they wanted. Couple it with Dark Exchange and it's even more ridiculous.

It's grossly out of place in regards to the other movement skills offered in ESO. Hey you just got an enemy scroll? Better let the Sorc with blink take it back! durr durr
    Edited by Dominulf on April 15, 2014 4:57PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online - Where the best spells are AoEs and the strongest weapon is a Shield!

"I used to be the most beloved roleplaying series of a generation... but then I took $14.99/mo to the knee."
  • johnwhitegm_ESO
    where were your sorcerers picking off the other sorcerers? It's like saying in a War .. Calvary can run in and take out the infantry and it's not fair - so there shouldn't be any Calvary because they have horses and infantry can only run on foot. Sounds like you guys weren't organized and group fail.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    where were your sorcerers picking off the other sorcerers? It's like saying in a War .. Calvary can run in and take out the infantry and it's not fair - so there shouldn't be any Calvary because they have horses and infantry can only run on foot. Sounds like you guys weren't organized and group fail.

This isn't war, this is a game, and unlike real life games do care about balance. So if it's "not fair" as you say, then it should be remedied.

By your logic, when ganking Sorcerers appear and there are no Sorcerers in your group, you're doomed (not saying this is the case mind) and that's how it should be.
  • strelnikov
    Guys I get chain pulled up 2 floors to a dragon knight waiting to impale me on his sword. I want something that does not bring me closer to his unloving embrace.

As a front line healer I become target for every sun-fired hot lance and poisoned arrow there is. I run around like a maniac trying to stay away from those monsters.

But honestly, blinking toward them not the act of a sane restoration staff sorcerer.
  • ConterK
    ConterK
    ✭✭
    I'd say increase the cost, the Stamina cost for dodging is insane, same for the other classes charges/blink strikes skills..
    yet i see sorcerers casting blink 4 or 5 times in a row..
    is insane..
    No Speed buff or charge skill have this ability or cover this much terrain in such a short time because every other blink/charge skill NEEDs a target to be casted, this one doesn't..
  • jarkko.holmieb17_ESO
    According to original post that "Blink" as we ESO players know better as Bolt Escape is argued to be overpowered... With the same logic the skills like Shadow Cloak or any Stun/Knock-back mechanism or even Vampire skill called Mist Form are also overpowered. One just pop that up and spams the ability until in safe distance... Or... Is someone just angry because the Sorcerer with week bones and muscles can really catch from the fleeing, so mighty Warrior-Princess-Dragon-Skeleton-Knight-Skull-Lord-Usain-Bolt-Leg-Muscles? As the name says BOLT Escape, even Usain BOLT cant catch you.
    - Sorry for the typos and my english, not focusing. I never do.
  • Dahter
    Dahter
    Soul Shriven
    Zaldoras wrote: »
    If I can chase down Sorcerors with Light Horse +20% speed buff, then immobilise and destroy them whilst they have no Magicka, then so can you!

I don't agree with this, you can't mount up whilst just leaving combat, so you can't chase them down.. and by the time you are able to mount up, they are long gone, or have hidden somewhere.

• vert
    vert
    I wouldn't be against Bolt Escape replacing my dodge and allowing me to pick the direction I bolt to like dodge does.

I of course would be totally willing to trade my Bolt Escape for a Vanish WoWlike ability for sorcerers(haven't played nightblade so don't know how well Dark Cloak compares to it)...never heard this many complaints about my Rogue jumping a guy in a group of people, killing him, and using Vanish to get away before any of his friends could do anything about it.
    Hmm yes an invisibility spell sounds awesome...no more pots needed!
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    vert wrote: »
    I wouldn't be against Bolt Escape replacing my dodge and allowing me to pick the direction I bolt to like dodge does.

That would seem kinda cool... when slotted, dodge is replaced by a magicka version with a different animation, activate is aoe stun, morphs could be after activation enemy has increased miss chance or you get a damage reflect shield or something.

Probably too much change to hope for, but something like that could retain/increase class uniqueness.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭

It's not OP, and it's not about 1vs1. It's about the fact that Sorcerers are difficult to punish for overextending, making Sorcerer gankers very difficult to get rid of. And if you can't get rid of them, you either have to stay there and guard against their return or leave and let them come back and kill off your reinforcements.

The line of overextension is a matter of perspective. If those sorcerers were really overextended they wouldn't be difficult to punish. They would have been overextended. It's likely they appeared overextended, but it was a mistaken appearance.

My money is on that there are always going to be players that embrace that style of hit and run, run and hide combat. If it's not bolt escape it'll be dark cloak spam mixed with invis pots, or maybe something that's actually clever. I also bet that they know their limits better than you do, because of the negative death experience every time they actually overextend.

All of this is assuming, of course, that you chose the most optimal line of play and didn't punt the encounter somehow.

And seriously. If you fail to kill a ganker and have to decide if the ganker is hiding in the bush and staying to defend or of he left to pursue elsewhere and you should go defend elsewhere....that's the game man. The moment we've all been waiting for. Make a judgement call and win and go become emperor and ***.
  • Beltatalth
    I've thought of something that could counter it without taking the fun of it : maybe you've noticed that when a sorcerer blinks, something remains (let's call it a remnant) where they were standing for like 1s. They could add a feature making everyone who goes through that remnant to be also teleported where the sorcerer is, allowing people to chase if they are relatively close to the sorcerer in the first place (maybe the remnant could last 2-3 second) and allowing allies to use this as well. What do you think?
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under your view, a sorcerer can attack a player and if that player survives, should not chase the sorcerer because he is gone. That means the counterplay rules are not balanced.

If thats how they played, so what? everybody can sneak attack, its not like only sorc does it. NB does sneak attack so much better!

By your argument, when DK, NB sneak on Sorc, they should have no way to escape, and not to mention they don't have good healing as well.

So in another word, every class can sneak attack, but the one with least defense should just die in such encounter. Is that a "fairness" or "balance" you are after?

You don't want to balance game, you just want to kill sorc easier, because making escape more difficult is not a way to balance the game after all.
    there are times when a NB "instant ports to me" and tries to stunlock me and kill me

Exactly, somehow some people make it like only Sorc can do sneak attack, which is a boat load of xxx. NB teleport attack, +50% movement speed are all OP if you ask me, and why should DK can pull people close before they are ready? If melee class can shorten the distance, why can't ranged class lengthen it?

I wouldn't suggest any player going to PVP until a instant near perfect defense skill is available to them. For Sorc, its BE. For DK, it may be magma armor, reflective scale or dragon blood, for Templar, it may be gazillion of healing things.
    Edited by crislevin on April 16, 2014 3:15PM
  • AngersRevenge
    AngersRevenge
    ✭✭✭
    Simply make it cost more the more you use it within a set time period. So it's not as spammable.
    A true warrior never reveals his heart. Until the axe rips it from his chest.
  • AngersRevenge
    AngersRevenge
    ✭✭✭
    Eh, What about Night Blades stun locking? I pretty much kill people before they knew i was there.

Eh, but i don't really mind blink being OP. Game is not design for 1v1.

Stun lock already has a counter. Every person in the game has a CC break. When the CC break is activated it also makes them immune to CC for about 5 seconds. Most people either don't know about it or waste their stamina so they can't use it even if they tried. Or, put all points into magica and none into stamina which really hinders them when it comes to being CC'd

Hold right mouse then press left mouse to use the CC break. Same as if you bash to interupt a spell. Only difference is you will break the CC if you are CC'd.
    Edited by AngersRevenge on April 16, 2014 4:30PM
    A true warrior never reveals his heart. Until the axe rips it from his chest.
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    crislevin wrote: »
    I wouldn't suggest any player going to PVP until a instant near perfect defense skill is available to them. For Sorc, its BE. For DK, it may be magma armor, reflective scale or dragon blood, for Templar, it may be gazillion of healing things.

Yeah, none of those other "perfect defense skills" are anywhere near as effective as bolt escape. That's why you're not seeing threads saying "OMG I tried to gank this DK and he just healed up and reflected everything". When anyone else gets jumped they get violated in their ear-hole while Sorcs giggle and poof.
  • MoMoOG
    MoMoOG
    ✭✭
    Sounds a lot like how op Ride the Lightening was in GW2 and eventually required a large nerf to get it on level. Kind of funny how similar a situation we have here.
  • Zafu
    Zafu
    ✭✭
    This is the only skill I've seen in the game under any class that needs to be removed. In PvE, who cares; but in PvP it is the only get out of jail free card in the game.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skill is fine. Learn to play.

Try CC or damage or one of the gagillion ways to increase your own speed and chase them down.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Najarati
    Najarati
    ✭✭✭
    Alternatively, if the developers don't want to place a cool down on Bolt Escape, how about applying a short, but stacking debuff that increases the cost of the next use of Bolt Escape by x% per stack? Call it Bolt Burnout or something to that effect. Of course, the debuff should not be removable by any means short of dying or letting it expire naturally.
  • s1gm4xb14_ESO
    s1gm4xb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    the simplest fix is to give it the kassadin mechanic like from LOL. first blink cost x amount and everyone after cost a certain % more. easy.
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dominulf wrote: »
    Blink is just as offensive as it is defensive. They can engage and disengage any combat situation whenever they want. Just yesterday we had two Sorcs blinking in and out of our large group picking people off and there was nothing we could do about it because they could put huge amounts of distance between us whenever they wanted. Couple it with Dark Exchange and it's even more ridiculous.

It's grossly out of place in regards to the other movement skills offered in ESO. Hey you just got an enemy scroll? Better let the Sorc with blink take it back! durr durr

start giving levels and details or we all assume it was vet blink sorcy vrs you lower lvl payer QQ.. in that case as all others.. try harder, level more, learn to counter.

I refuse to take another "nerf xxx" comment without level details seriously and intend to point it out.

and dark exchange... joke IMO and a waste of SP and should be beefed up for summoners, but only my opinion.
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • Rexo
    Rexo
    Eh, What about Night Blades stun locking? I pretty much kill people before they knew i was there.

Eh, but i don't really mind blink being OP. Game is not design for 1v1.

I believe that almost all stuns can be broken out of with the click of both the right and left mouse botton. So there are plenty of ways for other classes to counter the nightblade. I would know as I play nightblade as well. Yes the game is not designed for 1v1 BUT they still do happen. Balance is key and I believe ESO is very close with the addition of few changes. As for the blink ability being OP. I believe that it should simply have a cooldown of some sort or simply raise the magicka cost. With one of those two changes it would not be as spam-able but still allow the sorc to move out of tough situations.
  • Dahter
    Dahter
    Soul Shriven
    It's moreover the fact that the skill is spammable, and the sorcs are able to cover long distances in a matter of a seconds. If bolt escape consumed the same amount of resource as dodging, allowing you to only do two before your too low on stamina to do another, then I would have absolutely no problem with the skill. That way they aren't 50 ft away from you, in only a matter of seconds making it nearly impossible to catch up. I also believe being able to escape a battle/situation or even do a hit and run should require skill, and tactical thinking, rather than spamming a skill and having a 100% guarantee of getting away.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silly question...why cant you hop on your horse and chase the bolter? Let him/her bolt a couple times out of combat. Mount up and go....
  • Rizzit
    Rizzit
    ✭✭
    totally agree to nerf this make it target only
    Pack Leader of "Werewolves"
  • Harakh
    Harakh
    ✭✭✭
    I would not nerf it but it needs to be tweaked down a bit higher costs or something, cause bolt escape is to powerful as you can see here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPR7oUbG0IM

and everyone who thinks Stunlock works in this game must l2p cause there are two little mouse buttons you can hit and will be free from stun included a 5 seconds immunity.
    Edited by Harakh on April 17, 2014 7:08AM
    Die Welt in einem Sandkorn sehen
    Und den Himmel in einer wilden Blume;
    Die Unendlichkeit in der Handfläche halten
    Und die Ewigkeit in einer Stunde.