Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer Blink OP

Dahter
Dahter
Soul Shriven
I don't know if it's just me, but I find the Sorcerer blink ability severely overpowered, they just spam it and get out of any fight and then are like 50 ft away. Share your opinions please.
  • bantad87
    bantad87
    ✭✭✭
    I play a sorceror, and I strongly agree. Make it a blink towards enemy only skill, like shield charge (it's intended to stun the opponent, so it's fair) or make it cost a LOT of magicka.
  • Dahter
    Dahter
    Soul Shriven
    I wouldn't mind it so much if they even added a cooldown, like a 2-5 second cooldown would be okay
  • Dahter
    Dahter
    Soul Shriven
    but yeah, that's a good idea as well.
  • Navhkrin
    Navhkrin
    ✭✭✭
    They are aganist cooldown , there is not a single skill with cd in this game.
    I think they should make it cost alot of magicka so they will have big disadvantage
  • Dahter
    Dahter
    Soul Shriven
    Up the magicka to the same amount of stamina a dodge would do, i think it's like 43%, so you can only use it twice in a row. That'd be fair. At least they wouldn't cover a full 50ft in a 3 seconds
    Edited by Dahter on April 11, 2014 9:14PM
  • johnwhitegm_ESO
    I think it's ok - think of it similar to a druid cat form - remember that could constantly reshift into cat form to remove immobling and slowing affects- you should be able to have a class escape freely and live.
  • ksaggies04ub17_ESO2
    I'm a sorc, and I'm close to getting the skill, so I don't have a view yet on how balanced it is. If it needed an adjustment, I would disagree with both suggestions.

Blinking towards the opponent. This wouldn't very useful considering 2handers and sword & board already have charges. I think this is intended to be an escape skill more than anything. Making it only go towards the opponent would defeat that purpose.

Also definitely not a cooldown as I don't think any skills have them, and I think the design concept is that you can do any skill on your bar as long as you have the resource for it.

Why don't we wait a bit longer before we start the nerf wars? It's been like a week.
  • Chomppa
    Chomppa
    ✭✭✭
    Do PvE and PvP have seperate skill templates ? If so nerf away and if not don't nerf a thing . I don't mind skill balancing as long as PvE and PvP doesn't affect each other .
    :):D:(;):\:o:s:p:'(:|B):#o:)<3 (*) >:)
  • Eps
    Eps
    ✭✭
    I don't think an at-enemies-only ability would fit with the Sorcerer class. It's designed around the idea kiting at mid or long range, so it makes sense that it would have an escape ability.

Have you tried countering by using your own gap closer? Sounds like that would be the most straightforward way to deal with it.
  • steinernein
    steinernein
    ✭✭
    Must be hard to use gap closers.
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is escaping op anyway? It's not like the escaping actually kills others, you can be frustrated, but it does not give soc any significant advantage in finishing you off.

If you want complete fairness, then it should take similar time to kill melee character by a soc from afar, as to kill a soc by a melee character up close. Are they the same? I don't think so.
  • bantad87
    bantad87
    ✭✭✭

Lol, the issue isn't gap closing with a shield or 2hander; its that in most games, teleports have cool downs so they can't be constantly spammed to escape any situation. Increasing the resource requirement would make the skill effective for s teleport or two, but not allow people to teleport out of any bad situation.

I've used both the shield charge and the teleport, the shield charge is much more intensive on resource consumption.

• Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    But a sorcerer that is 'blinking' away is not hurting any one..Don't follow her...
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeddahwe wrote: »
    But a sorcerer that is 'blinking' away is not hurting any one..Don't follow her...

Consider this. A group of Sorcerer gankers killing reinforcements towards a keep. When a concerted effort is made to root them out, they just Bolt Escape away.

And when said concerted effort disperses, they run right back in and start killing off reinforcements again.
  • Semel
    Semel
    ✭✭
    It is not. l2p.
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think addinf a cool down is good idea, but I think perhaps something like adding increasing mana costs like on Eclipse would be a good idea.
  • JoxerHD
    JoxerHD
    Semel wrote: »
    It is not. l2p.
    It is. learn to come with a valid argument like everyone else if you want to be taken seriously.
    If this is the behaviour your trying to show on these forums I would suggest you crawl your way back to the WoW forums, where your type of behaviour is encouraged.
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭
    This sounds terrible and OP. When it happens in front of me I will be back with a piece of my mind.
  • Raice
    Raice
    ✭✭✭
    Eps wrote: »
    I don't think an at-enemies-only ability would fit with the Sorcerer class. It's designed around the idea kiting at mid or long range, so it makes sense that it would have an escape ability.

Have you tried countering by using your own gap closer? Sounds like that would be the most straightforward way to deal with it.

^This. I know for a fact that S&B and 2 Hander both have gap closers with stuns. Nightblade has a gap closer. Everything else can manage it at a range.

This ability doesn't need a nerf. The last thing we need to start doing is calling for nerfs. I swear, it will be the beginning of the end for this game, especially if its a nerf for PvP reasons. It will screw everything up.

This is exactly what happened the second week SWTOR went live, and it is exactly the reason I quit playing the following week. They nerfed a class that didn't need to be nerfed, and it screwed everything up. And I mean everything.

There's another way to deal with this issue. But the most prominent issue with this ability is this: your build isn't equipped to deal with that particular ability. It's okay. Let someone else deal with it. You have other things you can do. Also, if the Sorcerer is running away... he isn't doing anything else. So I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    bantad87 wrote: »

Lol, the issue isn't gap closing with a shield or 2hander; its that in most games, teleports have cool downs so they can't be constantly spammed to escape any situation.

So here is the thing. In most games, the gap closer also has a cooldown. It makes sense, because it typically lines up with ranged escape cool downs.

This isn't most games. I advise changing your concept of tactics and damage accordingly.

I hope this doesn't become like most games
  • Resipsa131
    Resipsa131
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you use encase or some other AoE stun to stop blink?
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭
    I think what makes it unique and able to out range all gap closers is it doesn't require a target, so if they blink from the right range it can't be caught.

Though that's theory just to play devils advocate and I don't want them nerfing in the first week month or fortnight.
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerers have less innate healing tools. The least they can get is good escape given they can't reset their health bars up to full like some classes.
  • Phaeze
    Phaeze
    There are a number of valid points running through this thread.

I do agree that a Sorcerer who is running away is certainly not going to be doing any harm in that particular instant.

I also agree that letting him live is also going to allow him to re-gain his footing in combat so that he can return and bomb with spells.

Consider the bigger picture:
    Sorcerers are on all three sides of this war. That ability and all its uses for tactics are available to all sides.
    Sorcerers are also not the only people on the battlefield.
    In this variety of PvP, you must rely on the rest of your Alliance to attain the greater goals.

With that in mind:
    If enemy sorcerers are using blink to harass your forces, then quickly assign a group of people with the proper counter-skills to form and take them on. If the sorcerers are too busy running from the counter group, that leaves you and your tactical squad the ability to focus on something where your skills are more appropriate for the task.
    Think tactically whenever you step onto the battlefield. For everything the enemy has, you can find a way to undermine their efforts. The best tacticians take their time, test their enemies and think on their feet as necessary.
    If you are not a great tactician, or simply don't have confidence in your skills, then it is important to listen to others when on the battlefield. If they call for somebody with your skills, pipe up and make yourself known so that they can give you something to work toward.
    If you want to win and have fun doing so, then the best suggestion is to work together.

Sorcerers using blink is a potent boon to your forces, or a bane against them. However, it has its own place on the field, just like every other skill. Also consider that on the battlefield, the sorcerer using blink might be panicking. He/she might also accidentally blink right into an ambush.
    -Shadow hide you-
  • dcbdown
    dcbdown
    Soul Shriven

Lol, the issue isn't gap closing with a shield or 2hander; its that in most games, teleports have cool downs so they can't be constantly spammed to escape any situation. Increasing the resource requirement would make the skill effective for s teleport or two, but not allow people to teleport out of any bad situation.

Rogues have had the luxury of sneaking up on ppl and the ability to get out of fights (without spending much in the way of resources) since the beginning of mmo's, suddenly a caster can do it while using all their magika to do so and ppl are causeing an uproar. Unfortunately it seems ppl are so used to anything caster related being a glass cannon/victim to melee that the idea of having an escape mechanism offends them. Not every class or every build is IWIN vs "X" class. Its much closer to (class x class)(build x build)/skills slotted=win.
  • montgomery.luke07b16_ESO

I've used both the shield charge and the teleport, the shield charge is much more intensive on resource consumption.

You can't constantly spam this either. You are capped by magicka and if you are using all your magicka on this ability you certainly aren't doing damage.

By Hircine's hand i mark thee!
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't constantly spam this either. You are capped by magicka and if you are using all your magicka on this ability you certainly aren't doing damage.

Many Sorcs I see who use Bolt Escape extensively use a stamina weapon as their primary source of damage, with help from Surge of course.

• montgomery.luke07b16_ESO
    The thing about using a stamina weapon is you are now susceptible to cc as you are using stamina to do damage and wont have it for your cc breaker. Therefore gap closers and cc now work very effectively to nullify the sorcs escape mechanism.
    By Hircine's hand i mark thee!
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An ability is only imbalanced (overpowered) if:

A ) No other ability can equally match it
    B ) The potential ease of use renders other options less desirable
    C ) Both A & B

Like it or not, all players will seek the most effective and efficient path to success.
    Enjoyment means success at something, whether that is chopping wood, picking flowers, fishing, killing players, killing monsters, playing solo or grouped.
    If any singular ability, class, item, or mechanic is more desirable because of its effectiveness versus ANY other alternative, players will always choose it.
    Any player whom deliberately chooses not to is simply accepting the fact that it is more desirable, and is attempting to thwart their own instincts to prevent boredom.

All of this is Academic Psychology 101.

The options are and always have been the same:
    1) Nerf it
    2) Buff the inferior to compensate

Developers almost always choose option 1, because Buffing other abilities typically has unforeseeable consequences with solo or group synergy.
    Its far easier to weaken an advantage and judge the immediate result, versus strengthening other advantages and having to wait to see what plethora of synergy emerges that causes other future imbalance.

Of course, all of the aforementioned can be resolved by employing a very simple concept called: "Q/A Testing", but that requires payroll and they already spent 200 million dollars on advertising, promotional high-quality CG Trailers, famous actor voices, and licensing.
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, What about Night Blades stun locking? I pretty much kill people before they knew i was there.

Eh, but i don't really mind blink being OP. Game is not design for 1v1.