Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Halls of torment / Lyris Doppelganger

• Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    @mrfather2380‌
    I only mentioned it because just because it isn't bugged for you doesn't mean it isn't for others.
  • mrfather2380
    My initial response wasn't for the bugged quests, cause indeed that has to suck. I was simply saying how 'I' defeated her to the ones who were apparently having "nonbug" trouble
  • Raubrey
    Raubrey
    ✭✭✭
    I finished the Molag Bal fight (uploading video now). I wish I had recorded this fight for comparison as I think it should have been the end boss. I didn't even drink a health potion for the end quest and died several times and waited 7 levels to complete this one. lol
    Edited by Raubrey on May 4, 2014 10:52PM

Greybeards & Gals Founder
    greybeardsandgals.com
  • Jermu73
    Jermu73
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i think this fight should be like 35 - 40 level and not level 30. Molag Bal was maybe easier than this one and they really should do something about companions agro so they attack at least. Some fights just are in wrong level or badly desingned. Personally i had biggest problem on this fight that my weapon starts automatically swapping and my healing potion just vanish from my quickslot bar also i didn't notice any animations on Lyris Doppelganger.

Edit. That was on EU Megaserver and my ping is something 170 ms.
    Edited by Jermu73 on May 5, 2014 3:40AM
  • wwijnmaalenb16_ESO
    Just nailed it with my GF's LV 30 healer/sorcerer..

She got really frustrated with this one.

The trick is walking in circles round her while keeping your aim at the snakeboss. Keep firing bolts at a steady pace or use Energy Overload if you have it.
    Be sure to concentrate on the The Feast balls when they come. Take your time to take em out in four single shots while still circling around her. The frontal damage attack is really nasty, be sure to avoid that. The rest you can take because The Feast heals you as well as her..

To practice circling around objects for new players: Pick a tree and try running around it while facing the tree. Pressing left while moving you mouse to the right and the other way around. There is no forward or backward (W or S) when circling.
  • atomikrej
    atomikrej
    ✭✭
    Initially I came in at level 30 and died about 15 times to her Naga form. After looking online I came across this thread and after reading about the experiences decided to level up a bit more. What was really annoying was when I was running around trying to avoid her attacks, it would trigger the spawns of the ranged mobs. I'm not sure if this was meant to happen, but luckily it did not happen when I finally defeated the boss.

I came back at level 33 and beat Lyris on the second try in a very close fight that took over 10 minutes. My strategy was to go in with heavy armour plus the immovable ability for extra protection. It meant I was able stay alive long enough to take out the health orbs with whirlwind. It was really hard to avoid her damage dealing spell so my character was often under half health. Lyris also rooted me in place which made it tricky to hit the orbs.

Good luck to everyone struggling with the quest. If you keep trying you will get there eventually.
  • Pchela
    Pchela
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two characters I play with. Both NB, and it was only on the second character that I was able to defeat Lyris.

The first character's battle? Boss had no animations, the NPC I took with me (did both Tharn and Lyris, because CS abandoned the quest for me to try and fix the bug) didn't do anything. I gave up.

Second character's battle? Boss HAS animations and the NPC I took with me (Tharn) actually fought. There is definitely something going on.
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    atomikrej wrote: »
    [...]What was really annoying was when I was running around trying to avoid her attacks, it would trigger the spawns of the ranged mobs. I'm not sure if this was meant to happen, but luckily it did not happen when I finally defeated the boss.[...]

That is definitely not supposed to happen in case anyone is wondering. Those should spawn and be killed before the fight.
  • nevenavasovicb14_ESO
    nevenavasovicb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    This whole quest was the least enjoyable one I've played in this game. I went in with my lvl 33 light armor DPS sorc and Lyris. I died a few times on the first boss and was already pissed off by the time I got to Lyris Dopp. That fight was the closest I came to rage quitting the game (for a few days at least). The issue wasn't that I died all the time. I died twice while fighting her. The issue was that Lyris Dopp. and I had the same strategy. I use my desto staff mostly with my resto staff sometimes as needed. So, I'd try to AoE the orbs mostly to heal myself and Lyris, and dps when they weren't there. Real Lyris was useless of course but my poor Familiar was much more useful. Still, we'd heal ourself and then try to dps one another over and over again. I'd get my health up, and so would she. But I didn't have enough DPS and health to burn her down when she got to low %. Which means she'd heal up. So after a fight that laster 20 min. I just let her kill me.

Then I decided to come back at lvl 34, and that was a disaster. Couldn't even kill Tharn dopp. Rage quit again.

Came back at 37, barely killed Tharn (mostly by healing Lyris and my Familiar) and running away from the damn adds. When I got to Lyris dopp. it was so damn easy. I dropped my Ult. 'Rock man" as a tank, killed her in less than 30 sec. Burnt her down to 40% or so in less than 8 sec. She then transformed, the orbs came, I AoEed them once, and then burnt her down again. Super easy.
    Last boss was a walk in the park.

I mean, you try to figure out what skills work best, and how to utilize them in that fight, but I swear being a few lvls above works wonders.
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on January 19, 2015 5:40PM
  • thkn777
    thkn777
    Soul Shriven
    Ok, I went back to the Lyris Doppelganger lvl35. I play Templar with Restoration Staff and 2h weapons. 5/2 heavy/light armor. This is, wh worked for me and what I found out/was told by other people.

- forget about your helper NPC. If it fights, good... If not... It doesn't matter.
    - Lyris Doppelganger has two stages: in the first she appears as Lyris, in the second as that Doshia-like creature.
    - you can damage and CC the boss in the first stage. Knocks work, interrupt works etc. So IF you want to hurt the boss, charge in and dump everything you got. Important: once you died for the first time in that run while the boss already was in Doshia state it won't go back to the Lyris stage. So you got ONE chance to really hurt the beast. It doesn't matter, which skills and weapons you use, just dps.
    - After the transformation into Doshia close range combat works better than ranged.
    - You can circle her and try to avoid some of the cone attacks. You can practise that at Giants for example before you go for Doshia. Or any other mob with that cone style attack.
    - you can't really avoid the stun, no matter how far you are away. So you can stay close to Doshia right away.
    - Melee the boss and put DoT's on her.
    - after she stunned you, the orbs will spawn. Now is your time. Get CLOSE to the orbs and kill the lil' buggers. They will heal you! Keep that in mind and just make sure you stay alive until they spawn. Make sure you get CLOSE to each orb and kill it. Save some skills for that, like insta cast attacks, some stamina to sprint and roll. The orbs easily heal for 1000+ hp in total. So if Doshia spawns them, it's HEAL TIME FOR YOU!
    - Main priority: stay alive until the orbs spawn. Get your heals from the orbs. Make sure no orb reaches Doshia, so she won't get any heals.
    - Orbs gone? DoT on Doshia, dps her, stay alive, avoid damage.
    - There seems to be a timing/health component attached to the Lyris Doppelganger fight. The longer the fight goes and the lower the HP of the boss, the more you have to face her stuns and orbs. Don't panic at that point. Just keep in mind, that those orbs are YOURS, and you want to get them all.
    - Use tab targeting, if you have to.

Good luck!
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    Really wish I had chosen Tharn instead of Lyris. She always takes agro like a tank then stands right in the aoe until she cant fight anymore. And since you cant abandon a main quest there is no way to change the choice.
  • Moomins
    Moomins
    ✭✭✭
    Attacked the doppelganger, hit all those orbs for all it was worth, still cant kill her. Regardless of what I do I cannot kill her. Lyris keeps getting in the way, she stands right in front of the Naga which causes problems getting to to orbs close to the Naga. I am sword and board Templar, and I just can't kill the Naga.... In case you might think that I have no idea how to kill a Naga, let me say that Doshia I had no problem with, I killed her easily , but this one - nope, I am stuck :(
    "Dragons? Oh, they're everywhere! You must fly very high to see most of them, though. The ones nearer the ground are very hard to see, being invisible."
    M'aiq the Liar
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    Attacked the doppelganger, hit all those orbs for all it was worth, still cant kill her. Regardless of what I do I cannot kill her. Lyris keeps getting in the way, she stands right in front of the Naga which causes problems getting to to orbs close to the Naga. I am sword and board Templar, and I just can't kill the Naga.... In case you might think that I have no idea how to kill a Naga, let me say that Doshia I had no problem with, I killed her easily , but this one - nope, I am stuck :(

It helps to use range on her. Avoid her attacks. Don't spam mana or stamina. Use it for healing and dodging/running. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.
  • charlesccps
    OK, the Lyris doppelganer is a poorly designed fight. Seriously. Templar, cloth. I'm a healer with off spec DW dps. I get the mechanics just fine. I kill orbs, heal myself, pew pew the boss, avoid the frontal atk, Lyris does nothing, rinse and repeat FOR 15 MINUTES and the boss rarely drops below 50%. I'm killing the healing orbs. So I try just burning down the boss and kiting. Well the boss gets to about 2% and then heals up. Lyris is of course doing nothing. Kill the orbs and the boss takes little dmg. Ignore the orbs, the boss gets low but heals up. Maybe classes with extremely high burst dmg have no problem. I'm not changing my spec or play style for one fight... I'll come back when I'm totally OP. Very disappointing.
  • charlesccps
    Wow... a 30 minute fight. Finally did it.
  • Valerius
    Valerius
    Ok...this quest is level 30, i am a level 35 NB. As soon as i get to the Lyris Doppelganger, i might as well commit suicide. No matter what i do, she kills me without me even hurting her slightly. Yes, i destroy the healthbubbles, but she still kills me in 2 strikes. my companion (Lyris) is completely useless too. What am i doing wrong?

I gave up. I was lvl 36 Templar. Those are story quests, and when one can't progress it renders the story useless.
    The first one spawned skeletons and I just killed those with melee skills and used basic staff attack (otherwise I would be out of magicka) to kill the boss.
    Than came doppelganger Lyriss, and suddenly the rules changed. It was my whole Dosiah trauma all over again.

Now I just have to stop playing and see if something changes. I am afraid that we are considered a very vocal minority, and it will not change.
    There is no balance in this game. Especially story mobs are often way overpowered.
    This is an epic signature.
  • natronosaurus
    natronosaurus
    Soul Shriven
    Well, my level 30 full-healy, cloth-wearing templar with a restoration staff finally did this. The hardest part by far was the "human" form of Lyris. For me, and most people with a similar playstyle, the approach to this battle is counter-intuitive. We want to hang back and heal a tank, maybe land a few good nukes or heavy blows, but this battle DEMANDS that you get right up in that troll's face and interrupt her flourish attack. She basically spams it, and it takes little effort to block that, daze her, then down her repeatedly. Land your channeled heal when she is dazed (when needed), forget the insta-cast because it isn't mana-effective in this one. The rest of the entire quest is a cakewalk compared to this section; honestly, just approach it like a metal-clad tank.

If it happens to be the second form that is giving you trouble, do as others suggest and tab-target those orbs. I've never missed one if I tabbed it first, though I've whiffed many times face-targeting them. Tab-target, four quick hits (not power hits ever), then back to beating her down. This is the Doshia fight all over again.

Good luck, squishy brethren.
  • steven.flemingub17_ESO
    I mentioned earlier I killed her on my 30 NB, though it was the hardest fight I've encountered so far and took 7 death's before I succeeded, and even then it was a very close thing. I have now killed her on my Templar alt. I waited until lvl 33 on my Templar because of what happened the last time with the NB. Even waiting to be over leveled, even knowing exactly the fight mechanics, even knowing what to avoid and how to avoid it and what to focus on, I STILL died 4 times before beating her on the 5th try. This is definitely a hard fight that might need to be tweaked a bit. 30 is totally misleading. Maybe just give her a stun for a split second after she pulls you in, so you have a moment to pop an orb or two and get some health back. Or lower her total health pool, which is pretty out there.

Also just before you go in, maybe the "Prophet" should see if you are not 32+ and say something to prepare you for what you're in for. Something like...

"Vestige. You're courage is commendable. But.. what you are about to go through will cause you to crawl into a corner and cry in pathetic fashion. Perhaps you should return later. However, if you enjoy the feel of needles stabbing into your eyes... proceed through the portal."
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVE balance in this game is absolutely ridiculous. The Lyris/Naga was damn near a brick wall for my level 36 templar. I finally got it with dots and dancing around her, but basically I got lucky. The next and final boss went down in two seconds! PVE balance is a total joke in this game. You never know, regardless of what level, which fight is going to take an hour and cost a fortune in gear repair costs.
  • DogeRobert
    On my first char to get past 30 (Fire-caster Sorc with pet), this entire quest was a walk in the park. I don't remember any specifics about the fights themselves, but I do remember, that I didn't die a single time and that none of the bosses proved to be an issue to me...

That did NOT prepare me very well for the second time I went through... (1hSh/Bow templar) I went in a few levels above content, taking into account what I had read here beforehand.

The first fight (Tharn) was an absolute nightmare to get through, even with healing and balanced magicka/stamina using abilities, etc. No matter what I did, Lyris simply couldn't stay in the fight long enough to make a difference. And then everything would aggro on me at once. (Oh and my templar abilites would not heal her.. Only resto-staff ones, which contain no insta-heals and thus didn't make a difference at all)
    I died 10 times on him and finally made it through.. Only to have the server start maintenance countdown and me have to log out.

I then had to do it again.. Died just as many times.. (No real ranged aoe means those skellies become a real problem very quickly)

Finally made it..

Again, Lyris was a breeze. I stayed ranged and took her down with the bow. Turned and shot the orbs, whenever they spawned and just tore away at her the rest of the time. Zero deaths.

Honestly, the adds in there proved more of a challenge than Lyris did, surprisingly.

I have no idea, what it is that I did, that makes Lyris so easy, but compared to the Tharn fight, it's as if someone turned the difficulty from insane to easy.

Then there's the Watcher-elite a bit later... Again not an issue on the sorc and very much an issue on the templar.. Darn that thing hits hard.

Final boss... Took all of 6-7 seconds to burst her down.. Done and over..

What strikes me most is:

a) How odd the difficulty balances between the fights. Some of them are just ridiculously easy, while others are damn near game-breaking.

Either something is just off, or they require rather specific mechanics, which kind of takes away the whole idea of Play-the-Way-You-Want.

b) How different our experiences are. Most people here don't even mention the Tharn fight, which was what nearly broke me on the templar. On the contrary, I found the Lyris fight almost nonchalantly easy, wheras most others here seem to barely have made it through that, if at all.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hhmmmmm. Very frustrating. Having spent about two hours trying to progress past Lyris, I am giving up. I'm level 31, and have tried all sorts of potions, spells, tricks. I've been ranged and I've been up close and personal, but I'm getting nowhere. I came close once, almost zeroed her health bar, but within maybe a second she was back to about half health, seemingly from nowhere.

Funnily enough, the second time around (I exited once to stock up and repair armour), the Tharn fight was almost as difficult. I just managed to cut him down, but it was a close thing and I died twice in the process.

I can't see the point of fights such as this. Even trying to compensate for useless do-my-nails Lyris with a Clannfear III and a Twilight Matriarch II (with healing option), the darn thing is impossible. I don't mind a challenge, but this is just plain buggy. Don't know about anyone else, but I also found myself stuck several times - as in, no movement available, allowing Tharn and Lyris to bring my health to almost nothing. This wasn't a spell - just a glitchy lack of movement.

Needs work. With the constant crashing and weird levelling in some fights and areas, this thing sometimes feels more like a beta than it should.
  • steven.flemingub17_ESO
    A potential solution to these kinds if things eso could incorporate in the future:

Implement the same mechanic other mmo's have done with dungeon/raid instances. When you wipe, you get the option to resurrect with a slight buff to all stats and damage. Each death you have the option to keep increasing. Maybe +5% each time. The buff applies only to that boss. After dropping the boss or if you leave the instance you go back to 0. You can always choose to stop taking the buff if you feel it will make the fight too easy.

Hard core players can choose to not take the buff at all. Peeps having a hard time can take the buff. Eventually the buff will make it so you can down her in a single hit, assuming you die that many times and keep taking the buff.

Balancing would be better, but just an idea.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, my friend quit today.

38 and cant finish halls of torment.

Hope yall are happy.
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Well, my friend quit today.

38 and cant finish halls of torment.

Hope yall are happy.
    I'm ecstatic. :smiley:
  • Jestertrek
    More than a month and eight pages of comments making it clear how hideously broken this quest is. Dozens of people making it clear they only passed it by luck. Dozens more saying they've given up on it. And not a damn thing from the devs about it.

On the main quest.
    Jester's Trek, wherein I ramble about EVE Online, Elder Scrolls Online, geek culture, and from time to time... life.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe because the devs rarely read the forums, and people aren't /bug'ing the quests in-game?
  • valdema863_ESO
    Left a long screed about this quest on a bug report (type "/bug" into the in-game chat window, people, don't be shy!), after finally beating Lyris Doppelganger with a level 39 DK. I failed at level 30, and with my experience with Dosha, didn't even bother to try again until now - and it was still a nail-biter, with several deaths before a near-death win.

To do it, I followed the "conventional wisdom" from this thread on beating the snake form (for whatever reason, the Lyris form was not hard - in her face, blocking her?). I shifted to bow, kept circling around her, treating the healing balls as savior devices for me, just had to keep them from her. Tried to avoid the damage cone pretty successfully that way, took nibbles from her with occasional stuns from one of the bow skills, eventually wore her down. Very frustrating at the end - probably just perception, but the last 5% of her hp seemed to take forever to nibble down. (My deaths came when I got wedged in the environment somehow and couldn't keep circling - probably jammed myself between a chair and a column or something, but I was too busy dying to take detailed notes. The clutter in the environment made this even harder, I thought - not easy to keep circling, while keeping some distance.)

The one additional thing I did not read above is that it seemed valuable to kite her away from remaining healing orbs if you can do it, to get a little more time to take aim on them and knock them off before they get to her. I suspect those above who kept finding her health going back up unexpectedly were missing some orbs, hidden behind her or behind the clutter in the environment - they eventually get to her while you're preoccupied running/hitting/dying, and lift her back up again. If you focus relentlessly on the orbs, hunting them down (which requires running around to get multiple views of the environment, since visibility does get blocked), you can heal up and then go back to nibble, nibble, nibble, stun, nibble, nibble, nibble, stun.

The end boss was trivial compared to Lyris D.

Yeah, leave bug notes in-game about this if you're as frustrated about the level of this quest compared to the rest. Mine was a rage-induced length - probably pointless, but I was imagining in my anger the same dev (group?) did the Dosha quest and this one. In many businesses, if you're responsible for anger by the customer base vs. (appropriate challenge-induced) pleasure, folks react. (Of course, it may be in the gaming community the reaction by (troll-based) management is cynical laughter. . . ;-) But even they now have a business model with subscriptions, so making people mad is gonna hurt long term "net present value" from lost subscription revenue. . . )

Over the edge, this one seems.
  • duckweed
    duckweed
    I'm done. Level 38 Nightblade. I don't put a god damn dent in this and the NPC provided to us to assist just stands there like a post. The boss completely ignores actual Lyris and pulls you from the other side of the room and rips whatever soul you have in half. Then you are chasing orbs while the boss hands you your ass on a blood stained platter.

How anyone is expected to beat this at level 30 as a Nightblade is beyond me. The game is incredibly imbalanced when it comes to playing as a NB. I would literally have to respec entirely just to finish this one boss.

I'm going to have to level up to 50 before I can even bother. Not that grinding does any help whatsoever.

I've been trying extremely hard to defend this game since beta but stuff like this I can't. I understand it's only new, etc but this is the main quest. The main, F-ing, quest. If the Main Quest is bugged to the point where it is nearly impossible for your build how can you feel you spent your money on something worthwhile? I feel like I pre-ordered and am paying a subscription for an unfinished game. Again, I understand that some things can't be caught during development but this? This is something that should be caught.
  • Pipsissiwa
    Pipsissiwa
    ✭✭
    Been trying this with my NB & Lyris. Tharn dopp not too much of a prob, but Lyris Dopp? Not a chance at 30. I've come back at level 40, still getting my furry behind handed to me until I have no armour. I know the theory, I just cannot stay alive long enough to do it. Tried the bowing suggested here, tried Dual Wield, tried a combination, tried every skill I have in various combos, blocking like a nutter, have blue food boosting stamina and health. Lyris just stands there, I die, usually quite quickly.

This is the only quest I've found to be like this - I've rage quit on it several times now. Toon usually has no issue killing anything her level or even a few above except (obviously) mobs intended for groups.

Guess I'll try again at 45 or higher....