Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Halls of torment / Lyris Doppelganger

Lanatireb17_ESO
Lanatireb17_ESO
✭✭✭
Ok...this quest is level 30, i am a level 35 NB. As soon as i get to the Lyris Doppelganger, i might as well commit suicide. No matter what i do, she kills me without me even hurting her slightly. Yes, i destroy the healthbubbles, but she still kills me in 2 strikes. my companion (Lyris) is completely useless too. What am i doing wrong?
  • Ffolks
    Ffolks
    ✭✭
    Trying this right now. Same problem. It's really, REALLY, frustrating. Between the main quest in Rivenspire being bugged and now this, I'm really disappointed, these are key quests that are halting progress!

Ok.... just got through this part. SPOILERS BELOW

I'm a lvl 30 NB.

I went at the doppelganger with sword and board and just blocked her strong attacks and power attacked her when she was stunned. After about 5 cycles of this she transformed into a naga. The mechanics here are identical to the one in the early fighters guild quest chain. For this I switched to bow. Avoid her ground attack, immediately after she sucks you up hit her with a magnum shot and then proceed to shoot the orbs. They will heal you, if you miss any they will heal her. I used siphon and regular attacks mostly, saving stamina for avoid the ground attack and the magnum shot.

It was about a 15 minute fight though it felt like 30. All my gear was busted, save about 25 armor on my belt. And, yeah, Lyris attacked for about the first 5 seconds of the fight and just played with her hair the rest of time.
    Edited by Ffolks on April 6, 2014 7:00PM
  • Genev
    Genev
    ✭✭
    For me the Doppleganger was bugged as well, she didn have any combat animations. Luckily she still showed the yellow rays of a power attack so I knew when to block.
  • Kaifus
    Kaifus
    Soul Shriven
    They really need to fix Lyris or make the encounter less difficult. I am a Spanklar (Tank and Heals) and got worked in this encounter. Lyris attacked for the first minute then stopped and did nothing. Luckily the Doppleganger got hung on something and I was able to get him down. I can't imagine a heal spec in light armor taking on this guy successfully and winning.
  • RG9T86
    RG9T86
    Makes me wish I picked up Tharn instead of Lyris...... having her just sitting there while I get steamrolled doesn't all seem that fun.
  • Badhat
    Badhat
    ✭✭
    yeah, at level 30 even with the heal this is just impossible. I have decent DPS but does practically nothing. From range with a bow or close up with two handed either way you just get annihilated. When she grabs you with that skill that drains health there seems to be no tell. Blocking is OK but you're stamina just drops and then she grabs you... you can't run away and heal a bit because she runs back to the centre of the room then heals to 100%. Downright impossible.
  • trace_dragonbanenub18_ESO
    Tharn does the same thing...I blew through 25 mana and heal potions only to recall to town to drop another 2k gold on stupid overpriced potions. Tharn just stands there and does nothing while you get lifted up, dropped to almost no health, only to get her down a 1/4 of her life just to have it heal again to full again. This is the most aggravating and frustrating encounter I think ive ever come across in 15 years of MMO's. Complete fail. Seriously makes me want to cancel my subscription because obviously this crap isn't tested at all. I am 33 now and I don't know what im suppose to do or where Im suppose to be. Grinding does nothing for XP, Seriously First half of the game was a blast, but 2nd half is complete fail. I have all the zones up to Eastmarsh done and no way to get XP. Going to run into same problem in the 40's so looks like this might be a one month and done kind of game.
  • Hyperventilate
    Hyperventilate
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so tired of Lyris being absolutely useless.

Mage, heal spec w/ light armor here. I can't flee the skeletons on the *first* boss because I have no stamina. I can't fight back because I spend 100% of my time healing myself. I can't heal myself because I'm tapped on Magicka from healing myself.

Meanwhile Lyris is standing there axe in hand making googly eyes at the doppleganger and I'm getting butchered. The second time I fought him I summoned my Atranoch which obliterated him, but apparently I had a single whisker stuck in the AOE of one of the skeletons. He died. I died. He ressurected back to full health while Lyris stood there with a dumb :D face.

Frustrating as hell.
  • Kazhan86
    Kazhan86
    Same here, i took Tharn and i don't see the skeletons. My Healthbar is full and suddenly i commit suicide. WTF ?! Fix this *** !
  • dba.2000_ESO
    dba.2000_ESO
    ✭✭
    I was wondering if this was just happening to me. As a level 35 dd sorcerer, I was finally able to get to the doppleganger with a useless Lyris, but I see no way my character will be able to win that fight until I'm at least level 40.

It needs some serious tweaking.
  • Foxhunt
    Foxhunt
    ✭✭✭
    Level 32 Khajiit Nightblade and I've been having trouble doing this too. I got close quite a few times while using health potions and having eaten something to increase my health, but I still can't beat it. My plan is to just level way past the required level and come back when I can *** her up. Until then I don't think I'm gonna try again and waste my time.
  • Xymphira
    Xymphira
    As a 30 Nightblade with a useless Tharn, I switched to my underskilled bow with almost nothing but Posion Arrow and kept shooting, make sure to hit the orbs, and once she got low I switched to Dual daggers and blew everything I had, pain it the butt, but it is not impossible.
    Edited by Xymphira on April 9, 2014 3:53PM
  • AshenShugar
    I just got steamrolled by Lyris, as a Dragonknight. Level 30 and I push out close to 240-260dps. I have made it down to a 3/4 of her health... but no further.

Horrible encounter, I'm gonna have to return at a MUCH higher level.
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    The ai on all companions just sucks at times i've noticed times when they don't draw their weapons and just stand their. Damn sucks
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lris just stood there. The doppleganger that is. Actual Lyris fought.

DW DK beat her face in, then dropped standard of might right when she transformed, lit her up like a Christmas tree.
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    Kaifus wrote: »
    They really need to fix Lyris or make the encounter less difficult. I am a Spanklar (Tank and Heals) and got worked in this encounter. Lyris attacked for the first minute then stopped and did nothing. Luckily the Doppleganger got hung on something and I was able to get him down. I can't imagine a heal spec in light armor taking on this guy successfully and winning.

That was me... Light Armor heal spec. Took me 40 minutes to kill the darn thing. I also only had 500 HP because I pure spec into MP. It was so brutal.
  • madterryk
    madterryk
    got wasted as a templar- I could damage the tharn doppelganger but he summoned skeletons at a high rate- lyris was useless in the fight. occasional knockbacks threw me into a feature that I could not move from for any reason- like into a small potted plant/tree thing, into a pillar- it wasn't just being stunned literally could not move.

The quest would be doable if I didn't have to fight tharn and five skeletons at once- I can interrupt the summons but that doesn't always work. I'll try it again after a few levels.
  • Sonora
    Sonora
    Soul Shriven
    I'm not sure what level character this encounter is tuned to, but it's not 30!

On my first try, the NPC never transformed -- simply showed up as Lyris who went from doing virtually no damage to instantly one shot'ing me a few minutes into the fight. On my next *several* tries, she actually transformed but won the war of attrition that this fight seems to be. Thran is useless and doesn't engage.
  • Luciana
    Luciana
    ✭✭
    I can't even get beyond the Tharn Doppelganger as a level 30 DK.
    EU Megaserver
    [MAIN] Luciana - Imperial - Dragon Knight - Aldmeri Dominion
    [ALT] Arrenhe - Altmer - Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Tompa1
    Tompa1
    Soul Shriven
    I killed both bosses on first time, not hard at all. Maybe it was bugged for you guys or me but this is how I did it:

First boss:
    He is just standing there and summoning adds. Kill the adds and use self healing. Then you have a few seconds to pull of some dps on the boss before he does the aoe (red ring) move out and repeat..

Second boss:
    Her normal hits is ok, use self heal (every player should have at lvl 30 a self heal ability/skill). When she do hard attack, block it and pull of some heavy dps on her. She drags you to her, you hp goes down, use self heal. Then orbs is coming, kill orbs (one hit) and you will be healed. Watch out from her attack where it comes lights on the ground, they hit hard. Just repeat...

As I said before, maybe it was bugged for you or me but I really didnt had any problems.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I tried this quest last night as a level 34 DK with all points in Health. My primary weapon is the Destruction Staff with my second weapon being a 2H mace. My armor is a mix of all three types in the mid 20 level range on average (some high 20s and a couple of mid 20s and a couple low 20s). I also had a food buff that added about 120 health and stamina. Thanks to the useless Tharn and the waves of skeleton mobs, the Lyris Doppelgänger kicked my behind four times, although I was very close on the third try before killing her on the fifth attempt.

This boss is way too difficult all things considered. Either the companion needs to contribute to the fight or the skeleton mobs need to be reduced or eliminated. A solo mid-level boss fight like this should not take 30 minutes or so to kill. That sort of epic fight duration should be reserved for the final boss in the quest line. The ZOS testing team or the PTS crew dropped the ball on this quest/fight.
    Edited by LonePirate on April 10, 2014 8:27PM
  • DrywFiltiarn
    DrywFiltiarn
    ✭✭✭
    This quest is basically impossible for a cloth-geared caster/healer. The companion doesn't do anything useful at all and even at lvl 35 (5 levels above the actual quest level) it's still not manageable to get past these doppelgangers.

The difficulty of the npc's on this quest should be reconsidered and the effect the companions have should be reviewed as well.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heavy armor dw dk. Blue weapons. Seconday is sword/board. Level 31. Lyris stood around with her thumb in her butt.

Tharn doppleganger, talons, kill skeles, beat his face in. Green dragon blood is excellent.

Lyris doppleganger, beat her face in, block. Transformed. Drop standard of might, lit her up like a Christmas tree. So much aoe Im not sure the orbs got near her tbh.
  • masterofthebuttonsb14_ESO
    Level 30 Pure Restoring Light Templar, very frustrating fight but luckily I had a bow on me, never used the bow before and no bow skills but just kept hitting her, pop the bubbles at all cost and avoid the wave she sends out. 10min fight maybe, if I wouldn't have had the bow I would have been hosed.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehehe i finally got to this quest , i will admit , i dont think i can beat lyris.

I lost to tharn once , because most of my gear was totally broken (dont blame me , look at the repair cost :P) , so i went to the city and repaired it , took tharn on the first try , no problems.

Now lyris ... that is a whole new level lols , i guess i will try again at 40 or 45 :P.

Actually i just did it , here is the trick , die first. Honestly facing her while in naga form the whole fight is MUCH easier. Just go in , make sure she transforms , die to her , then come back , and go another round.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on April 11, 2014 6:04AM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Mordwyr
    Mordwyr
    I'm a NB and I killed the doppelganger at lvl 30 as a melee. I took approx 5-6 tries. I tried to avoid her frontal cone which hurts a lot and I also destroyed the healing bubbles asap which gave me health to survive and I also used 2 healing potions and remembered to siphon as well. I "jumped" on her many times which gave the much needed stun and I also used stealth few times. My ultimate was very useful too. Lyris didn't help me much, just stood there pretty much useless. This was no doubt the toughest fight so far I've had and after reading other posts I think I got lucky somehow with this one. Good luck for those who still need to kill it.
    - Death leads to silence -
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im actually amazed I got both first try.
  • Oldbushie
    Oldbushie
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that doesn't give me much hope of making it through that fight. I was at least able to do Tharn doppelganger by standing way back and using ranged skills (since he only does melee or summon skeleton) but Lyris doppelganger is ow. Why are so many NPC "helpers" completely useless?
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.twitch.tv/heyguyslol_1975/c/4045984

[US] heyguyslol - LvL 30 Sorcerer

I'm gonna upload this on YouTube as well.

http://youtu.be/xdrv8DdQUxc

This fight was difficult for me for a couple of reasons. One I had just remapped a lot of my hotkeys because I unlocked several skills that allowed me to try out the aoe build I wanted to run but I kept hitting the wrong keys because my mind was programmed on my other spec lol.

Second this fight is pretty tough but not impossible. It does take strategy, timing, and the right spec to get her down. I don't have any experience with other classes so I can't say how easy or hard it would be for those but the thing I like about this game so much is that it does make u work for your victories instead of being just a face roll.

It did take me about 4 or 5 attempts before I got her down but I think if u know the mechanics of the fight and have a good spec that you are comfortable with you should be able to take her down.
    Edited by heyguyslol on April 11, 2014 9:50AM
    @heyguyslol

http://twitch.tv/heyguyslol_1975
  • Kangas
    Kangas
    ✭✭✭
    33 Khajiit Nightblade choosing Lyris.

Got through first attempt of all parts without dying.

I used bow with only level 20 bow and 1 skill in the tree (no bow passives as I only started using bow 5 levels ago), poison arrow (venom arrow I).
    Used swallow soul IV for heal
    used reapers mark I for damage and heal
    used invis cloak (Shadowy Disguise IV) a couple times to get high damage shots
    Just stayed on outside circling/kiting away.
    Killed all bubbles immediately when they spawned.
    Used ultimate (veil of blades I) once to slow snake form down when she got close to me.
    Used no food nor pots
    I thought I would need to go dual wield for some of the fights but was surprised I didnt.
    Disclaimer: I have fought this before on PTS as a templar 2hd melee.
    Edited by Kangas on April 11, 2014 9:23AM
  • Bansheedragon
    Bansheedragon
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so tired of Lyris being absolutely useless.

Mage, heal spec w/ light armor here. I can't flee the skeletons on the *first* boss because I have no stamina. I can't fight back because I spend 100% of my time healing myself. I can't heal myself because I'm tapped on Magicka from healing myself.

Meanwhile Lyris is standing there axe in hand making googly eyes at the doppleganger and I'm getting butchered. The second time I fought him I summoned my Atranoch which obliterated him, but apparently I had a single whisker stuck in the AOE of one of the skeletons. He died. I died. He ressurected back to full health while Lyris stood there with a dumb :D face.

Frustrating as hell.

I'm playing a DPS Sorcerer(mage), with both the Cleanfear(tank like) pet and the Twilight Matriarch(healer/DPS) pet.
    I chose Lyris to come with me and was fighting Tharn Doppleganger.
    What she did was she ran up to the boss and then just stood there, she didnt even draw her weapon, as if there was not fight whatsoever.

I managed to get Tharn down to about 1/3 HP, but by then both my pets was dead and I was facing 3 skeletons with no magicka left.

When are these folks going to get around to fixing the countless issues with the game instead of just sitting on the behinds twiddling their thumbs?

For that matter, did they even test the game beyond the starter zones, or did they just throw it out there hoping for the best or that we would not notice or care?
    Edited by Bansheedragon on April 11, 2014 2:38PM