Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo play too difficult

• Milrik
    Milrik
    Soul Shriven
    I really like that one can actually die in this game! In the beginning it can be daunting but one learns after some hours of playthrough. I like the difficulty and hope it will remain through out the levels/areas.
  • RatsnevE
    RatsnevE
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is a MMO, god forbid you have to socialize.
    This sort of response angers me no end. No one is denying that ESO isn't an MMO foremost but unfortunately for all of us the main story line which we all must get through to reach Veteran status is nothing but a single player game going up against the hardest boss battles in the game. So just drop the "god forbid" sarcasm will you please and explain how socializing in an MMO is going to help my NB get through the solo-only boss battles.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but if a NB is one of the best (if not the best) preferred builds and I can ever get my battle tactics and skills proper to get through all the solo-only boss battles won't I have then a pretty darn good build to use in any veteran group dungeon or the private dungeons in the three alliance areas?

My Khajiit NB has been stuck once again near the end of Reaper's March with yet another solo-only boss battle that she just can't quite figure out. It has been suggested that I need to respec but I don't understand to what? Now that I am trying to 'socialize' I'll continue this in a new topic where I will try to document the whole nine yards of my current build to see how it needs changing and why. I'll also be looking for a good NB Guide.

I want to finish here though that yesterday I considered starting Ebonheart with a new Dumner Templar but my heart just isn't in it. I want to play and succeed with the NB and that should be possible. I don't know how Veteran status works yet but it sounds like I can from Veteran explore out Ebonheart and Daggerfall solo and grouping as an effective NB? However I'll say it here that since I am a basic solo adventurer I have no expectations with my NB of respec'ing it properly for PvP--if I ever reach that point. Lots to learn about guilds and grouping too.

Thank you.
    Edited by RatsnevE on June 1, 2014 4:19PM
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO for solo play still isn't quite as difficult as Skyrim on Master, and that's good enough for me.
  • ggmyster
    ggmyster
    Soul Shriven
    The addon called combat cloud has really helped me with solo play in this game. Check it out. It tells you when to interupt and block.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wsl7b9.jpg
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am leveling a heavy/light armor combo sorc with 2hander, honestly i am having little to no issue even killing the world bosses solo. I was level 21 by the time i left the lvl 3-15 map and i am also in no rush to level. Already had a V14, my advice read up on your class. There are a lot of guides and builds out there that you can learn from. Do not stand still in combat, this is not like WoW/EQ2/EQ/GW2/GW or any of the games out there that is just a button mash. This is more like the regular TES games stuck on normal to hard mode.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Awdwyn
    Awdwyn
    ✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    wsl7b9.jpg

So much this.......
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things to help for new players.
    1. Do the starter island....it is lower level easier XP that will help level you up.
    2. Do not avoid content or conflict. You will under level the zone and struggle.
    3. Constantly pick up armour/weapons and make sure they are the same level as the enemies you are facing.
    4. Use sneak and stay out of aggro. You pull too many onto you, you are going to do regardless. 2 NPCs will be staitionary and 1 will often wander back and forth so you could face a 2 man mob or 3 man mob at a time.
    5. As above...watch carefully for the telegraph...if they are white flashing its a heavy blow and you need to block. If its a red circle or red cone its a major skill you want to avoid by stepping out the way or dodge rolling.
    6. Explore snares and stuns. Some will cripple a mob and let you kill them before they get anywhere near you.
    7. watch for red flashing which indicates the NPC can be interrupted and stunned...you need to bash or charge.
    8. Keep an eye on your stamina or magicka...if it runs out you are going to die. So pace yourself and use heavy attacks to claw some back.

Just some things to try if you don't already.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on March 11, 2015 7:40PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭

My action bar usually is set up for the following:
    Funnel Health, Invigorating Drain, Syphoning Strikes, Venom Arrow, Magnum Shot. - Ultimate : Devouring Swarm

For Undead/Daedra areas it varys slightly to:
    Funnel Health, Syphoning Strikes, Evil Hunter, Silver Shards, Magnum Shot (or Sorched Earth if in a group) Ultimate: Flawless Dawnbreaker

I am in full medium armour (for the respective bonuses to stamina & combat) -
    Is there something, (short of studying new weapon skills - even though I currently have 20 skill points unassigned) that people can suggest I look into to reduce the ensuing death by anything (some bosses are completely insane to solo at the end of quest chains)

I am thoroughly enjoying the game, but getting more and more frustrated.
    Hold on... no opener and not finisher on your bar? hhhuuu. well ok.
  • Takhistis
    Takhistis
    ✭✭✭
    I had difficulty at first adjusting as new nb but just Lvl a lot and try to be 1-2 Lvls above quest Lvl for having an easy time :)
    NA-DC-NB VR1 Ilythrian
    Proud member of Guild Medieval, More Than Fair, The Angry Unicorn Inn
  • SLy_Kyti
    SLy_Kyti
    ✭✭✭✭
    Holy bring back the dead! Someone resurrected a thread from a year ago. And I posted in it.../brainLag
    Edited by SLy_Kyti on March 15, 2015 12:30PM
    Master Crafter: Almost all motifs
    GM~ Blades of Old Tamriel NA/AD
    Member~ NZAD
    Member~ Blades of Vengeance NA/AD
    -Tamriel College -Amazing Deals of Nirn-
  • Scheneighnay
    Scheneighnay
    ✭✭
    I have an odd setup: nightblade siphoner with heavy armor, 1h and shield.
    It's pretty solid in PVE; it can comfortably handle 3 mobs at once, barely scratch by with 4, and is good against most bosses.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    giphy.gif
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Molagent
    Molagent
    ✭✭
    ORIGINAL POST IN APRIL... STILL ALIVE IN APRIL!
    This is a general comment about the difficulty level for people who are not in a group.

Basically I have found that when on my own, it is super difficult or impossible to kill some mobs if they are either:
    * 2 or more at the same time
    * Named quest mob

Sometimes I can -just- take on two mobs, but other times, dead, over and over and over again. It has somewhat lessened now I have the Ultimate ability, but even so, that isn't always available, and it doesn't always keep me alive. This has been happening even if I am a couple of levels (or more) over the mobs in question.

I just don't feel that the power level is right for the game right now. I am not an inexperienced mmo or general gamer by any means, and if I am struggling, (read: closing the game often in frustration at repeated deaths) then you can be sure that newer gamers are certainly going to be. It isn't because I haven't tried different build types either, as I have with different sorcerer, and templar, and still death is most frequent.

I like a challenge, but this isn't so much a challenge as an insurmountable cliff most of the time, and that just isn't fun. In an mmo especially, it is a dangerous path to go down because players will just up and leave without renewing their subscription.

This isn't just a small dismissable issue, it is a problem that I face each time I log in. It is the struggle to stay engaged in gameplay when each time I want engage more than one enemy, I end up having to wait around for another player just to be on the safe side, or avoid those mobs completely, which certainly isn't helping me level my character.

In this post you have no mention at all of what class, race, champion points (if any), build(s) you use, and/or zones you're currently in to attempt to level in, or by what you are dying by. In simple terms, you're complaining and not even bothering to reevaluate yourself.
    I had a difficult time when I first became a veteran but it was for the facts of one, vampirism and I'm part of AD so our first vet zone is EHP...Fire be everywhere. Plus the build I was using at the time was specced more of the lines for minimal dps and maximum hps. I made a new build, now I'm fine.
    ... yet for my sorcerer.

I would however refer back to my original post, because while some builds are more survivable than others, if the game is too difficult at the beginning for the average player, most won't level enough to see that difficulty curve balance itself. I am not talking here from a personal bias, but from data backed up by the gaming industry (articles from Rift , as well as in one of the video blog extra credits [sorry I couldn't find which one it was for this reply]).

My post wasn't about killing challenge, but about making the game more initially accessible to a greater range of players, about making the curve of difficulty slower to rise in the early levels to encourage players to persevere and learn rather than get frustrated and quit.
    Your post is entirely about killing the challenge of the game because it's too difficult for you. One thing I love about Zenimax is they refused to appease to your kind, the ones we all hate and call "Casuals" you may make up the larger percentage of gamers. But us, we love the challenge and difficulty. We love looking online for addons, skill calculators, mods, and guides if not....Then making them.

You've come into a game expecting ease, you were wrong. Didn't bother to lookup guides, builds, analyze yourself or anything.

You're a level 8 Sorc as far as I know. Also in low level gear.

Did you think your gear wouldn't be a problem, dodging, rolling, etc.? I can go the entire game without ever doing so and be fine at your level. You can walk out of AoEs just fine. In this game, no one feels sorry for a Sorc who can't take damage. To us it means one thing, lazy mage. There's no glass cannon excuse when a Sorc can roll a 2h weapon and full HA (heavy armor.)
    TuuUngl.jpg
    "Happiness is foolishness I don't care for. When a scientist discovers something new that person would be willing to die to uncover the result of it. In that moment there is no happiness but an obsessiveness with interest. And it is with great pleasure I say I am not, nor ever desire to be happy, but take luxury and with sense of halcyon that I am interesting."
  • Huggernaut
    Huggernaut
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't simply jump into a MMO, make a character and expect zero learning curve.

There is nothing 1-50 that can't be done solo with 3/4 of the classes, the only class that struggles in solo play, at least early on is the nightblade. They have some useful stuff that can be unlocked later that makes things considerably easier, but they by far have the hardest time.

At least in my experience.

You also can't start a game, play it for a day, even a week and make broad statements like "Solo play too difficult", this is something that can't be known unless you actually spend a considerable amount of time in the game with all the classes, experiencing all the content.

Leveling my newest alt, I have solo'd everything. Dolmens, public dungeons, public bosses on the world map, etc. Everything 1-50 is very easy, provided you spend some quality time learning how to play the game. Learning what skills compliment one another, learning what gear compliments your class and the role you're trying to fill especially and so on and so forth.

Cheers.
    Edited by Huggernaut on April 22, 2015 12:44AM
  • BlueCloud53
    BlueCloud53
    Soul Shriven
    I agree with the very first post on this section about the game being too hard. Its like the fun has been taken out of the Elders scroll when you die so much and lose points and value on the equipment you worked so hard to make.

As for the knowing how to do D&D games, the thing I always loved about the other older elder scrolls and Fallout series is you don't need a big book to play it and anyone who is new or just curious to those games won't feel lost and can jump ins enjoy.

Since the Elders Scroll Online game keeps track of players hits and statistics, how hard would it be to adjust to per player since its using math formulas and to add a difficulty leveling into that formula like the other elder scroll/fallout games.

Bethesda always added choices... well up until now.

I hope the next game they don't make you use one character of one sex, at one level of difficulty. If so I have to pass on those games.

I am just used to the choices we have in the older Bethesda games.

Is Bethesda trying to copy others (be like me thing) or keep the fan base they build just being themselves?

(The veil falls) is what level that has me stuck and I feel like I wasted money now since I can't get around it.

One good thing about the game, at least now I am good at killing wolves and crabs.
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct if you're NB, Veil of Darkness is your best friend and food buffs, but with those its doable. Sorc is solo class, and DK is amazing too. Never played Templar.
  • RestlessPilgrim
    Well it is a MMO, god forbid you have to socialize.

That's why the dungeons are specifically labelled SOLO then??
  • SURxR3AL
    SURxR3AL
    ✭✭✭
    i have had absolutly no problem playing this game solo i havnt even used a health potion yet i just sell them, idk if your talking about silver or gold content but playing solo is a piece of cake so far and im lvl 46
    NA Server (Xbox One)
    Magika Sorc - Zane Cloudreaver(EP)
    Magika Temp - Revan V'ile(EP)
    Stam DK - Kraven V'ile(AD)
    Stam NB- Relic V'alor(DC)
    Stam Sorc- Veric Septim(AD)
  • Dru1076
    Dru1076
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is really hard at first to solo. But rest assured, once you have got some well spent skill points under your belt you will find yourself tackling even the most intimidating boss.
    Edited by Dru1076 on June 21, 2015 8:14AM
    Ask not what your sweetroll can do for you....
  • The_Tip
    The_Tip
    ✭✭✭
    to the OP's thought. I disagree, I think the games quite EASY solo, IF you AVOID GROUP CONTENT. Trying to do dungeons or delves with + Symbols will always result in death, unless you've tweaked you're build to perfection, and even then group content is insanely difficult to solo, only the best of the best even attempt it. That being said, if you choose Templar, you can pretty much solo all 3 alliances quest line's, maybe only need help on a cpl boss fights here an there.

This games quite different from other MMO's in the fact that any class can serve any of the main dungeon diving roles, there's not much restriction on it except Templars are really the end all be all for the Healers, but Tank/DPS/DOT/Hybrid's can be built with any class, making survivability and solo play, in theory, easier to accomplish if you tweak the build right.

My advice to Solo Adventurer's is this,

1. Slot any self heal ability you can
    2. Slot a buff/debuff for your armor/defense or your enemies armor/defense
    3. make sure one of you're attacks has an effect like stun or knockback
    4. Eat Food, Drink Potions ALL THE TIME
    5. Upgrade your armor if all else fails, green to blue is a huge difference in defense/damage output depending on the set's you get and what not.
    6. Heavy Weapon Attacks do not consume stamina, so when your out of stamina, dont forget!
  • halfbadger
    halfbadger
    ✭✭✭
    The_Tip wrote: »
    to the OP's thought. I disagree, I think the games quite EASY solo, IF you AVOID GROUP CONTENT. Trying to do dungeons or delves with + Symbols will always result in death, unless you've tweaked you're build to perfection, and even then group content is insanely difficult to solo, only the best of the best even attempt it. That being said, if you choose Templar, you can pretty much solo all 3 alliances quest line's, maybe only need help on a cpl boss fights here an there.

This games quite different from other MMO's in the fact that any class can serve any of the main dungeon diving roles, there's not much restriction on it except Templars are really the end all be all for the Healers, but Tank/DPS/DOT/Hybrid's can be built with any class, making survivability and solo play, in theory, easier to accomplish if you tweak the build right.

My advice to Solo Adventurer's is this,

1. Slot any self heal ability you can
    2. Slot a buff/debuff for your armor/defense or your enemies armor/defense
    3. make sure one of you're attacks has an effect like stun or knockback
    4. Eat Food, Drink Potions ALL THE TIME
    5. Upgrade your armor if all else fails, green to blue is a huge difference in defense/damage output depending on the set's you get and what not.
    6. Heavy Weapon Attacks do not consume stamina, so when your out of stamina, dont forget!

You have just replied to a thread that is 14 months old and was made when people actually found the game hard although it was actually very easy.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, whoever is digging up these ancient threads needs to be involuntarily subjected to three weeks of teen-angst vampire movies, looped over and over again.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Plain_Jaine
    I've been solo the whole time and I'm lvl 43, I really don't see the issue here.
  • A5ko
    A5ko
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the exact opposite experience. At Vet level 2, I've yet to encounter any content barring Craglorn and some 4 Man Dungeons that was not doable solo.

Dolmens my level are remarkably easy to solo with meteor.
    Edited by A5ko on June 23, 2015 8:23AM
    A5ko ▪ High Elf ▪ Sorcerer ▪ Aldmeri Dominion ▪ XBOX One ▪ EU Megaserver

• Yaillen
    Yaillen
    Hi Quietscribe,

Do try to take it a bit easier. I used to play WoW, Guild Wars 2, Destiny.. And they are all just based on dealing damage (read: Faceroll your controller and everything dies) (im on ps4). This isn't a bad thing, but I noticed very quickly that this tactic doesn't work at all in ESO.

In addition most skills are instant cast, encouraging spamming, but quite high cost which results in being oom/oos within seconds after a fight starts.

I noticed that fighting like a turned based game really improves your playstyle! Just try to block most attacks, even normal attacks. Always try to interrupt the spell casts of mages. In addition, when you fight multiple enemies I always try to open with a stealth attack (300% extra damage).

Good luck and keep on trying! It is a really rewarding combat system once you get the hang of it.
  • BlueCloud53
    BlueCloud53
    Soul Shriven
    Again the game is too hard but I see nothing will be done to fix it.

If the game is so smart it should tell the difference between single players and groups.

After dying so many times the game should just let you through. If not its unplayable since some are 'boss' locations and your forced to go it alone.

Story breaks when your stuck like I am now.

Not all players play the same and I am sure several are 'experts' at this game.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again the game is too hard but I see nothing will be done to fix it.

If the game is so smart it should tell the difference between single players and groups.

After dying so many times the game should just let you through. If not its unplayable since some are 'boss' locations and your forced to go it alone.

Story breaks when your stuck like I am now.

Not all players play the same and I am sure several are 'experts' at this game.

@BlueCloud53 Tell you what, why don't you post a new thread, in general talking about the issues you're dealing with, and I'm sure someone will be able to give you some advice on how to proceed.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After dying so many times the game should just let you through.
    It sort of does. If a boss is too difficult, the game will scale down the enemy, but you have to try a few times before the level drops. This usually happens in solo events, but I've seen it happen in others. In fact, it happened to me today when I tried to fight a Watcher by myself. After the 6th time, it was clear the game scaled down its health. Still a tough battle, but no where near the max health it had starting out.

Some bosses playing solo are hard to beat. My advice is to watch their attacks and plan accordingly. Bosses will tend to do things a bit differently, so it's important to watch their moves. They all give an "opening" where you can spam AoE or use the time to heal.

Also, use the environment. I can't stress this enough! I see so many people just stay in one spot to kill the enemy, but tough enemies require a little finesse. Bring the boss fight to you. Those little seconds between chases can turn the tide in your favor.

If you're just standing in the same spot (okay, moving about in the same spot), their AoE damage will do you in.

Strategy > blind attacking.

Watchers, though... man, I hate Watchers. :(

• BlueCloud53
    BlueCloud53
    Soul Shriven
    Violynne wrote: »
    After dying so many times the game should just let you through.
    It sort of does. If a boss is too difficult, the game will scale down the enemy, but you have to try a few times before the level drops. This usually happens in solo events, but I've seen it happen in others. In fact, it happened to me today when I tried to fight a Watcher by myself. After the 6th time, it was clear the game scaled down its health. Still a tough battle, but no where near the max health it had starting out.

Some bosses playing solo are hard to beat. My advice is to watch their attacks and plan accordingly. Bosses will tend to do things a bit differently, so it's important to watch their moves. They all give an "opening" where you can spam AoE or use the time to heal.

Also, use the environment. I can't stress this enough! I see so many people just stay in one spot to kill the enemy, but tough enemies require a little finesse. Bring the boss fight to you. Those little seconds between chases can turn the tide in your favor.

If you're just standing in the same spot (okay, moving about in the same spot), their AoE damage will do you in.

Strategy > blind attacking.

Watchers, though... man, I hate Watchers. :(

I read they are suppose to get easier but from what I have seen in the game that's not the case. I saw a level 32 boss kill a lvl 42 player and a lvl 1+ player who were fighting it. The weaker is stronger?

In golf after several strokes you just move on to another hole. Here your stuck.

I have to level 5+ above the boss to just keep going.

So if I die 6 times it will finally get easier? That's not good for my armor. (Is it set for hard, medium, and easy doing that?)

As for writing about it here I thought this thread was about the 'solo-play-too-difficult'.

If bosses are solo they need to state that instead of me following others into a room and finding myself alone.

This discussion has been closed.