Maintenance for the week of June 3:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 3, 2:00AM EDT (6:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Scribing is going to render the community insane (and not in the positive way)

• KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    Well it looks like they have relented. Joy.

For a moment I thought they were going to double down like with the upcoming changes to mail and trading.

Yup.
    This is the thread where they outlined the upcoming changes: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658035/scribing-updates-coming-in-pts-v10-0-3
    On indefinite hiatus since U41.
    Options
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    Well it looks like they have relented. Joy.

For a moment I thought they were going to double down like with the upcoming changes to mail and trading.

Yup.
    This is the thread where they outlined the upcoming changes: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658035/scribing-updates-coming-in-pts-v10-0-3

Just finished reading this, definitely sounds like these changes will address most of the concerns from this thread.

Only thing I am still concerned about is the drop rate for Ink and mostly because there's no confirmation of what that drop rate is supposed to look like, (is it going to be 5% (~60/hr), 1% (~12/hr), 0.0000001% (good luck getting 1), we don't know yet).
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    excole10 wrote: »
    I was curious about a cooldown so went and did all 28 Cyro Town Dailies today because they're fast enough and many enough to judge if thats true or how bad the RNG is if its not. There was no CD for me and although there is some RNG involved, out of 28 boxes i dropped 10 Signature Scripts. I then went and did another 6 World Boss Dailies to see if thats just the Cyro Dailies - and got another 3 out of those. So maybe it was changed already - or idk why yall got nothing after your first box.

I’m going to have to find time to try that, maybe we can get a good idea of the drop rate before launch. Not being limited to one per account per day per source would make me feel a lot better about this system.

I accumulated 50 Cyrodiil town dailies. Counting the guaranteed first one, I received 17 Scripts total, so without that it works out to a little over 32% which isn’t that far from @excole10 ’s results. I’m guessing it’s actually a 1 in 3 chance, and the RNG just didn’t even out perfectly.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    excole10 wrote: »
    I was curious about a cooldown so went and did all 28 Cyro Town Dailies today because they're fast enough and many enough to judge if thats true or how bad the RNG is if its not. There was no CD for me and although there is some RNG involved, out of 28 boxes i dropped 10 Signature Scripts. I then went and did another 6 World Boss Dailies to see if thats just the Cyro Dailies - and got another 3 out of those. So maybe it was changed already - or idk why yall got nothing after your first box.

I’m going to have to find time to try that, maybe we can get a good idea of the drop rate before launch. Not being limited to one per account per day per source would make me feel a lot better about this system.

I accumulated 50 Cyrodiil town dailies. Counting the guaranteed first one, I received 17 Scripts total, so without that it works out to a little over 32% which isn’t that far from @excole10 ’s results. I’m guessing it’s actually a 1 in 3 chance, and the RNG just didn’t even out perfectly.

According to Gina's post subsequent drops are 25% from dailies.
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does Gina's post mean that we'll be able to jump right into the new system just by paying gold? I hope so!
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
    Options
  • Telos_Tim
    Telos_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does Gina's post mean that we'll be able to jump right into the new system just by paying gold? I hope so!

No, you still have to complete the introduction to Scribing quest on your first character.
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    According to Gina's post subsequent drops are 25% from dailies.

Guess I just got lucky then. And probably burned through all my luck for when the system goes live! Ah well.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
    Options
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭
    I never understood either why so many games these days hard lock competitive combat minmax stuff behind grinding casual non-combat activities like questing or crafting. These activities appeal to completely different player demographics that rarely overlap. The competitive combat players end up bored out of their minds feeling like they're wasting their time, the casual grind players lose interest because the rewards aren't important to them.

These 3 sentences sum up so much of what ZOS is doing wrong
    Options
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I completed wing of indrik quest and then proceeded turning in 50 master writs. Got no class scraps.
    Did I forget to do something, or drop rate of these is just so bad?
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    I completed wing of indrik quest and then proceeded turning in 50 master writs. Got no class scraps.

I'm thinking it may be due to this:

Class Mastery is described as a Signature Script: "There is also a special kind of Signature Script, known as the Class Mastery Script."

Signature Scripts can only drop after Dragon, not Indrik:

"Gain Signature Scripts after completing the Wing of the Dragon."

Sigil of the Luminary Indrik says nothing about getting drops of scripts, only about being able to buy Grimoires and Scripts and being able to get Ink as drops from enemies.

Sigil of the Luminary Dragon says "Makes Signature Scripts obtainable..."

Maybe try doing that quest and see if your results improve?
    Options
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Class Mastery is described as a Signature Script: "There is also a special kind of Signature Script, known as the Class Mastery Script."

Sigil of the Luminary Indrik says nothing about getting drops of scripts, only about being able to buy Grimoires and Scripts and being able to get Ink as drops from enemies.

Indeed! Thank you :)
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Indeed! Thank you :)

Glad that worked!
    Options
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But drop rates aren't amazing, OP said they got 1 in 30, and so did I... 2 in 60 :)
    Options
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    From a PVE DPS perspective I don’t really see anything all that useful about scribing, I’ll probably just skip it or find one or two things I like and just get that for certain situations
    Edited by MudcrabAttack on May 15, 2024 5:01PM
    Options
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From a PVE DPS perspective I don’t really see anything all that useful about scribing, I’ll probably just skip it or find one or two things I like and just get that for certain situations

Sadly is a double whammy when it comes to PvE DPS.

Because of the mantra of 'horizontal progression only' they can only give us different ways to reach the imposed ceiling, but nothing that would allow us to raise it.

They can also provide an easier path to reach the ceiling, or at least 'close the gap', but it has to be somewhat subtle and muted otherwise a section of the player base goes absolutely ballistic about it (see the endless threads about HA builds that cropped up until the devs patch after patch bled them enough to sate the... 'critics'.)

With these constraints in place is somewhat challenging to come up with an offering that is in any way exciting.
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, the drop rate for Ink from enemies is above negligible now:

1,003 overland basepop
    2 drops of 1x Ink (0.2%)

They came on the 572nd and 582nd kills.

Plentiful Harvest was slotted but didn't proc. With so few chances, it's impossible to know whether that's just PH failing its 50% roll twice (there's a 25% chance of that) or whether PH hasn't actually been enabled for mob drops of Ink. (PH does work on things like leather scraps and poison solvents from mobs, so when the devs say PH works on Ink, that shouldn't be limited to Ink found from harvesting resource nodes unless they specify that.)

ETA: PH can definitely proc now on Ink from resource nodes. Still need more data on drops from mobs.
    Edited by virtus753 on May 16, 2024 3:59AM
    Options
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desiato wrote: »
    This is exactly why ESO PVP isn't more popular. There are too many boring PVE hoops to jump through to play it. The barrier of entry is hundreds of hours of PVE.

Most PVP gamers who don't currently play ESO would not even consider doing this crap for the privilege to eventually be competitive in PVP.

this
    Options
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest issue I can see is that Scribing will be a game changer & huge meta shift for both PvE & PvP. It will be locked behind Paywall making it essentially P2W. On top of that it will require grinding in many aspects of the game. If some of the sources of those new skills will be not instanced it will be essentially "Stormhaven boss" / "Shadowfen Plants" syndrome allover again.

I am also worried about PvP as it is already a joke balance wise and they are adding even more paid advantage. I guess it may be good moment to take a break from PvP for at least like 6 months till power creep stuff gets netfed / adjusted.

For PvP event I think I am gonna pass any serious participation & just do bare minimum. I am also thinking of skipping IC part entirely as apparently there is some new crazy push/pull Scribing skill that will be exclusively used to knock people down from IC respaw platforms to the meat grinders below.

this
    Options
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    I have multiple accounts. Normally I consider getting 5 or 6 upgrade copies, and do. With this set up. I'm getting 1 and sticking with it.

This system is, imo twice as bad as antiquities considering the grinds and mix of both character and account wide unlocks.

I'm basically to the point where it might be better to just pretend the system doesn't exist.

Or maybe I am just too old.

and this grind of antiquities multiplied by 100.

I like a bit of farming, grinding in pve and pvp, but not to the point of ridiculousness...
    Edited by Arrodisia on May 16, 2024 12:47PM
    Options
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arrodisia wrote: »
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    I have multiple accounts. Normally I consider getting 5 or 6 upgrade copies, and do. With this set up. I'm getting 1 and sticking with it.

This system is, imo twice as bad as antiquities considering the grinds and mix of both character and account wide unlocks.

I'm basically to the point where it might be better to just pretend the system doesn't exist.

Or maybe I am just too old.

and this grind of antiquities multiplied by 100.

I like a bit of farming, grinding in pve and pvp, but not to the point of ridiculousness...

My gripe is that we are attaining ARPG/looter-shooter levels of RNG and grind but without the reward.

Because there cannot be reward, just the same but this time in purple.
    Options
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scribing is already driving me mad. It's not grinding that's doing it.

The feature that is really bugging me is the seemingly arbitrary selection of Scripts that can be used with any particular Grimoire.

Take Affix scripts for example, which add a particular buff or debuff to a scribed skill. There are 20 Affix scripts listed, but only 8 of them are made available to be used with any particular grimoire. I'm trying to scribe skills that will have a buff/debuff that my characters aren't already getting, e.g. Minor Mangle. The Affix Script that gives that debuff is only available to be used with 3 of the 11 grimoires - Smash, Torchbearer and Trample - each of which places its own, serious restrictions and deficiencies on character build choices and cast times.

It all reminds of that Dunmer in Clockwork City who moans about the lamps and switches in the Brass Fortress...

"Each lamp has its own switch, and some lamps have multiple switches. And if that isn't mad enough, some switches control multiple lamps! He's a god, I know. But it shouldn't take a genius to turn on the lights"

Only this time the joke's on us.
    PC EU
    Options