Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Balance changes to Arcanist class

• MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ceruulean wrote: »
    .. Runeblade Doritos instead...

This always gets me :D
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After trying Arcanist again I can safely say.....I stick with Necro. Way better in PvE and PvP.
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    .. Runeblade Doritos instead...

This always gets me :D

I want the cool ranch morph
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »
    Arcanists have the highest vMA scores, and some of the most entries and attempts (which means a lot of people are clearing vMA on arcanist because they can't or won't clear with any other class). It used to be sorc that was the easy mode vMA class but now it's dethroned.
    If thats true I find it really weird. I find it really hard to do VMA with Arcanist. Any other class no problem.
    Is there a trick I dont know about for Fatecarver and Dodging/Interrupting/Bracing ?

Just a quick update here. New world best score in vMA was set by arcanist. it's also first ever score above 625k. So yeah arcanist is now officially top class for solo/group, organised/casual PvE gameplay.
    Edited by Galeriano on January 28, 2024 1:05PM
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galeriano wrote: »
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »
    Arcanists have the highest vMA scores, and some of the most entries and attempts (which means a lot of people are clearing vMA on arcanist because they can't or won't clear with any other class). It used to be sorc that was the easy mode vMA class but now it's dethroned.
    If thats true I find it really weird. I find it really hard to do VMA with Arcanist. Any other class no problem.
    Is there a trick I dont know about for Fatecarver and Dodging/Interrupting/Bracing ?

Just a quick update here. New world best score in vMA was set by arcanist. it's also first ever score above 625k. So yeah arcanist is now officially top class for solo/group, organised/casual PvE gameplay.

I saw. It might just be me then. I need to be able to move. a Channeling-Class doesnt suit my playstyle.
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got the new patch notes.

They flat nerfed Fatecarver for 7% instead of nerfing cleave damage.

No mention of Flail.

Why even bother introducing some Scribing gimmicks if no combination of skill will ever top Flail?
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭
    Dubhliam wrote: »

No mention of Flail.

Why even bother introducing some Scribing gimmicks if no combination of skill will ever top Flail?

@Dubhliam Have started a thread in PTS forums about the glaring lack of any significant Arcanist changes:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/651416/expected-arcanist-adjustements
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No mention of Flail.

What is truly funny is the fact that part of that lost damage will be compensated with the buffs to status effects dmg considering that arcanist have the best status effect buffing passive in the game so at the end arcanist almost didn't loose anything.

It seems like ZoS wants to squeeze as much money from this class as they can and as long as it will be bringing high numbers in profit they will be refusing to balance it properly.
    Edited by Galeriano on January 31, 2024 11:55AM
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so I made some charts based on some dummy parses I found from youtubers.

This isn't as detailed as I would want it to be, but I think it will serve as an example of just how OP Flail is.
    Also, I could not find a Warden parse with bird spammable, and CBA to delve deeper.

mc9kvw6dvxrf.png

For those that want to delve deeper into how I got those numbers, here is a link to excel.

It's obvious Flail could stand it's ground if not outdamage any other class spammable.
    Keep in mind, Flail is AoE, and does so much more than just deal damage.

Yet ZOS thinks nerfing Fatecarver by 7% will be sufficient.
    Considering all status effects got buffed, Arcanist will have 0 DPS loss this patch.
    Another 3 months of class "balance".
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want ZOS to fix Colorless Pool.

1/2 the time it freezes you for a solid 5 seconds, even if you have plenty of stamina to break free

That’s not how it’s supposed to work, according to the tooltip…
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just want ZOS to fix Colorless Pool.

1/2 the time it freezes you for a solid 5 seconds, even if you have plenty of stamina to break free

That’s not how it’s supposed to work, according to the tooltip…

This kind of stuff has been happening for years before Colorless came out, it’s break free that needs to be looked at because sometimes I got full stamina and I can’t break some CC. Whether that is colorless or time stop or fear or a pull.

If something is broken on the ability though that combo’d with the already buggy break free issue than I do hope it gets looked at and fixed.

• OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This isn't as detailed as I would want it to be, but I think it will serve as an example of just how OP Flail is.
    Also, I could not find a Warden parse with bird spammable, and CBA to delve deeper.

mc9kvw6dvxrf.png

For those that want to delve deeper into how I got those numbers, here is a link to excel.

It's obvious Flail could stand it's ground if not outdamage any other class spammable.

Considering all status effects got buffed, Arcanist will have 0 DPS loss this patch.

I am happy that ZOS is taking it slowly with Arcanist because they typically just go at it blindly with a huge hammer and break the class.

That being said they should take some things off of Flail and put them on something else. Put the heal on Runeblades or the Inspiration ability. Put the execute on Imperfect Ring. That could help with Flail and also push some other abilities being used.

• Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »

mc9kvw6dvxrf.png

I am happy that ZOS is taking it slowly with Arcanist because they typically just go at it blindly with a huge hammer and break the class.

That being said they should take some things off of Flail and put them on something else. Put the heal on Runeblades or the Inspiration ability. Put the execute on Imperfect Ring. That could help with Flail and also push some other abilities being used.

My only real beef with Arcanist is actually Flail.
    They can even revert Fatecarver to deal full damage unstead of 7% less for all I care.
    But you can't have an AoE execute root heal buff that generates Crux and, oh yeah outDPS all other class spammables.
  • Szalord
    Szalord
    ✭✭
    Tbh speaking of Flail, i don't think it's technically supposed to be Arcanist's spammable, because Runeblades is. If all the effects Flail provides are to stay, imo the main problem is its cost and it should get increased to at least what Whirling Blades cost (which as a core is a similar skill because it does AoE damage and has an execute component), which also would put the Arcanist more in line in terms of sustain seeing how easy sustain on the class is currently.
  • Moith
    Moith
    ✭✭✭
    Explain why vampire abilities were nerfed and bows abilities were nerfed a few years ago because whiners complained they were OP, yet you give those nerfed abilities to new class
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's face it, it is inevitable.

In my opinion, there are only two nerfs that need to happen to bring Arcanist a little bit out of the OP realm:
    1. Reduce the AoE capabilities of Fatecarver.
    This skill is the bread and butter of this class, and I think it is a good idea to keep it powerful, since there is a mini game going on around it. However, the AoE potential is too powerful. I think it shoud behave similar to Templar's Puncturing Strikes- dealing half[insert %] damage to all targets beyond the first one.
    2. Nerf Cephaliarch's Flail
    Nerf it!
    NERF IT NERF IT NERF IT!
    This single skill is packed to the brim with stuff other classes can only dream about, and all that after the fact that this skill is a core part of an Arcanist's arsenal, being the Crux generator it is.
    Let's get over this skill, and what it does:
    -it is a powerful direct damage AoE
    -it is an exectue below 50%
    -it debuffs targets with a unique 5% damage debuff
    -it is a powerful self heal that heals even if no targets were hit
    -it is an AoE root
    -it generates Crux, as mentioned

Arcanist is a fun class to play, but seriously devs, what were you thinking with Flail?

I completely agree with this. However, I think an alternative for the beam would be to remove the piercing effects of the beam and replace it with a 5m AOE around the target, similar to the Tri-focus passive.
    This would reduce some of the insane damage in content as well as stopping the arcanist from being able to skip mechanics such as being able to simultaneously hit two crystals while doing portals in vCR.

Cephaliarch's Flail is massively overpowered. An alternative to nerfing is to make this a crux consuming ability and make the number of buffs dependent on how much crux has been consumed. To get all the benefits they need to consume a maximum amount of crux, not unlike the nightblade's Spectral Bow ability.
    Right now this ability is disgustingly overpowered in pvp. When used on a mag opponent, it can force them to run out of stamina from continually breaking free and then makes them ridiculously easy to kill.
    Edited by moderatelyfatman on March 5, 2024 9:38AM