The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Classic: Would you play?

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Modern eso is superior in almost every aspect.

The only "classic" feature I'd like to see return is a meaningful overland. It was fun once, while nowadays it's comparable to watching a vid.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure
    I wasn't around for the first couple of years of ESO so I have no idea what a classic ESO would be like.
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure
    I enjoyed veteran ranks and overland difficulty, but don’t care for much of the rest tbh
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I never stopped playing it lmao.

The problem is too many people 'covet' things, it's like an addiction. So no, they're not going to part with their stuff, even if it might bring about something better for everyone.

It'll never happen. Some of us know what's up though... I own the wealth, it does not own me.
    Edited by Vulkunne on December 19, 2023 3:15PM
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I vote yes for classic Cyrodiil.

Please just give us back the PvP we used to have ZOS. Please. (more than double the pop cap we have now with double the group size limit)
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No.

I tried the Beta and passed on getting it.

I got it a bit after the subscription requirement ended since a bunch of my friends pushed for me to get it but then everyone got sick of it after a bit.

ESO works better now because the early content releases went so badly that they were forced to adjust. (With that said, at times the adjustments bury problems more than fix them)
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I was there at the beginning ("Vanilla", "Classic"). It was not as good as it is today. I strongly believe we are seeing ESO at its glory, today, 2023. And that it will get even better in the future.

The only good thing, though, was the feeling of mystery around the game. That I have strong and happy recollections. Everybody was a noob. Nobody knew what to do. There was no meta, nobody knew what the end game would look like. 2k gold felt a lot. Being a vampire or a werewolf was THE peak experience. The most valuable motif was the daedric.

Still, it lacked SO many good things. I can't even begin the list.

ESO is different to other MMOs in that way. It progresses horizontally, so the game WILL get better with time. Games like WoW and Runescape will eventually loose their essence with time, being a vertical project. So the "Classic" iteration won't work with ESO.
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I wouldn't play any version of ESO that didn't have the ability to do any of the content in any order. For me that was the main benefit of One Tamriel, prior to which I could only do DLC content on release of that content by interrupting progress in the base game zones which I'd then have out-levelled on returning to them.

That and the wretched trading system was the only problem I had with the game at launch, I never really understood then or now why a lot of people consider the game to have been badly broken back then.
    Edited by Tandor on December 19, 2023 5:52PM
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    There's certainly more quality of life features today. Things like item transmutation are great and the removal of Veteran Ranks removed a lot of grind. Battlegrounds and dueling were nice additions as well. If I could have many of today's quality of life features with what ESO was in 2016 I would happily go back. PvPing was so much fun and PvE was actually difficult, but rewarding.
  • RogueShade
    RogueShade
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Nope. I started on Xbox right after Imperial City was released, it was fun but having started over on Playstation a few years ago with no research and no anything, nope. If you want it so bad switch consoles or servers, nothing carries over.
    Vet ranks and leveled zones were annoying, especially with guilds of different alliances, and doing group activities left you stuck at your lowest level player’s areas. Again you can start with nothing by changing servers if you really want to though it’d still be the much better version we have today even if it’s not perfect.
  • dragonlord500
    dragonlord500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    and not get crown crate rewards? BIG NO
    Guild master of Darkness of Sanguinaris. Birthday is December 4th.
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not sure what this would even mean in the context of ESO, but what I am sure of is that if you asked 10 players what prior iteration of eso is "best", you'd get 11 different answers. If we're talking about pre-One-Tamriel here, I personally doubt that ZoS would be interested in investing resources into bringing back a time when the game was not very popular and was doing very poorly.

If the point is "starting over", I did that once with a cheap new account when base game was on sale, and it was fun. But I wouldn't be interested in giving up all that's been added to ESO over the years. And there's no way to actually re-create the experience of starting the game "fresh" for the first time - one's knowledge and skills would still carry over.

If the point is that this is really a "vet overland" thread in disguise, well I'm gonna leave that discussion where it belongs other than to say that I do hope ZoS can find a solution that pleases that crowd.

If the point is that pvp was more fun and better balanced at some point in the past, well that might be true. I don't pvp so that's not my area. But I imagine they *could* add some kind of "classic" pvp instance if there was a lot of interest - but again... what would that look like? Very unlikely that whatever "classic" point in time they pick would please everyone.

[EDIT for typo].
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on December 19, 2023 8:29PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    There are some condition that would make me play "classic" mode, but those are very unlikely to happen:
    - No lag in Cyro, as it was in the past.
    - No Hammer, as it was in the past.
    - No broken sets that "do the work for you", as it was in the past.
    - No ball groups, as it was in the past.
    - No "Instagib" ganks & one-shot builds or immortal builds, as it was in the past.
    - No night/morning cap, as it was in the past.

As you can see it is impossible to re-create the "classic" ESO PvP experience, oh well.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It was so difficult that I left and didn't come back until they changed it with One Tamriel.
    Edited by SilverBride on December 19, 2023 6:47PM
    PCNA
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    No, having played since BETA, ESO is in a much better place with all of the new systems implemented since 2014. Early ESO was honestly bland and didn't feel nearly as "Elder Scrolls" as it does now.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Level gated zones? Level gated missions?

No way, that dumb unfun outdated game mechanic can stay buried in 2010. :D

It was the reason I once tried ESO and dumped it after a day.

Also other modern gaming advancements like the stickerbook, duplicate protection, group finder, AWA and many other things are stuff that I can't miss.

Don't forget housing, armory, and outfit stations too. Then there's not being faction locked to the map. Those were all huge QOL changes.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Only if it is times where jewelry material and corn flower were worth soemthing :'(
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    ^
    After continually dying in the starter areas in old ESO I left to play something else. I only came back a few years ago and am having fun now.

If they changed it back I would just leave again, like I did a few years ago in NWN when they decided to make the trash take much longer to kill. If trash mobs are no longer trash they is not worth my time, period.

Edit: clarity
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on December 19, 2023 7:46PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Tandor wrote: »
    I wouldn't play any version of ESO that didn't have the ability to do any of the content in any order. For me that was the main benefit of One Tamriel, prior to which I could only do DLC content on release of that content by interrupting progress in the base game zones which I'd then have out-levelled on returning to them.

That and the wretched trading system was the only problem I had with the game at launch, I never really understood then or now why a lot of people consider the game to have been badly broken back then.

Here's a few things I remember from the betas and very early on:

I entered a building with a quest objective to investigate the area, then suddenly the entire quest completed because someone upstairs killed a boss I didn't even know existed.

I had to abandon and restart a seperate quest because the boss never spawned.

I was playing with a friend and suddenly they vanished from my screen - one of us had done a quest in that area already so we were put in seperate instances and had to play solo for that part. (Yes I know you always play solo, but I'm sure you can imagine that some people like to play MMOs together.)

Two friends started the beta a day after me, so we couldn't play together at all because I'd already done everything on the starter island and one of them was in a difference alliance so we couldn't meet up at all.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    No... unless I got per character tracking back. If "Classic ESO" meant I could start a character over, from scratch, and receive recognition from the game properly as I explored lands as if completely anew, with acknowledgements of my feats for fighting world bosses, beating dungeons etc.... then I'd be tempted.

But honestly I am not 100% sure what a "Classic ESO" would really look like. It has been a long time since my WoW days, but from my understanding part of how they progressed the game was to completely disrupt the lands such that "going back to what it was before" is actually a thing. ESO devs have added on but haven't completely re-built any of the areas from the ground up, such that classic would mainly be less areas to explore, less content to see, wouldn't it?

Also it is my understanding that ESO was launched without some key features that they specifically planned to add after launch, and it had multiple launches because it has both PC and console. So identifying when ESO "Classic" should be seems like an exercise in dividing the community more than anything else.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    You want to go back to low resources, soft caps on stats, overland trash mobs that can actually kill you, magicka everything, and play only with your own faction with restrictive silver and gold zoning. Considering the mandatory subscription model didn't even last until the end of the first year before converting to Crowns.

True. Stamina was pretty much limited to weapons.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Nope. I was there. The game’s a lot better now.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No.

All you want is pre-Morrowind game performance. Everything else was just painful to play.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I may be in the minority here, but I enjoyed the more challenging PvE environment back in the early days.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure
    What is ESO's "Classic" version supposed to be? Veteran Levels? The Beta? I remember watching Angry Joe's review of the game in its very early days, and it was mucho not pretty.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • darvaria
    darvaria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I suppose ESO Classic would be just like WOW classic. The exact same game we started with. Characters with no CP and in starter zones. Before that One World Update.

Looks like most ppl wouldn't want Classic to come back. I would like just for something different.

Seems I was here for Beta. Noticed my forum time as March 30, 2014. Not sure if that was Beta. Of course we have the experience and it wouldn't be quite the same. I'm just bored most of the time now. I played Classic WOW, Classic WOTLK and Classic SOD for a bit. (got a 14 day suspension or I might have stayed on SOD).
    Edited by darvaria on December 20, 2023 2:31AM
  • loaganb16_ESO
    loaganb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would go back and play a Classic+ gladly. Had the best times in game befor certain changes
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Adernath wrote: »
    I may be in the minority here, but I enjoyed the more challenging PvE environment back in the early days.

It was only more challenging if you were willing to skip large parts of the story.

I wanted to do all the quests as I was moving through each zone, to get the full experience, but that meant I was always overlevelled for what I was doing. Eventually I'd stop getting XP at all and it would catch up a bit, but I'd quickly out level it again.

One Tamriel actually made the game harder for me. Most overland and quest things still aren't particularly difficult (except some world bosses) but at least it takes multiple attacks now. Before I'd pick whichever skill I wanted to see the animation for and just use that because it didn't matter what I hit them with and I'd only get 1 attack, 2 if I was lucky.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. The game was not great at launch
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes