Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Please fix Endless Archive difficulty

Lucinator
Lucinator
✭✭
I don't know what the content team (probably the same people who came up with the Nymic Bastion debacle) were thinking with the direction they took this but they seriously ruined what promised to be the best new game experience in years. This mode has so much potential however several related design and balance decisions made it unplayable to many in the game. The first was the lack of a normal and veteran mode, the difficulty is the same for everyone, now this would not be a problem except for issue#2 the difficulty ramps up way to fast. The first Arc alone ramps up from veteran mode maelstrom arena to veteran Vastran by the end of the first arc. In that first arc im fighting bosses with 12m hitpoints. and look those arenas take a lot of work to beat, I doubt I would be able to if they had problem#3, only three lives. I may not be the best player in the game but I'm at least average or slightly above average, and I still cant get through the first Arc though eventually I might be able to eventually this is supposed to be something that ramps up so it was supposed to be something that would make this accessible to even casual players and this most certainly isn't. And Problem#4 wont make it as incentivized either and that is that the rewards don't even remotely reflect the difficulty. I spent over four hours yesterday on it and came away with about 2k of the new currency. Telvar stones are way easier to get. All in all I want to conclude with some recommendations. Split up the thing into normal and veteran, Casual players would get to at least experience one Arc and normal players could get a couple before it ramped up to veteran levels of difficulty. And the top 20% of players could just jump into veteran mode which would be like the difficulty we have now so they skip some of the ramp up. Second up the rewards a lot, even if made much easier the rewards would still need to be upped since frankly they are not worth it.

UPDATE:
[Snip], what i went through must have been a bug or some other [Snip] crap, as I did it again today and dear god was it easier. I can do 30-50k real world solo dam with my 1 bar sorc and can solo most world bosses up to blackwood. I thought that was about average. And it wasnt a typo I was really getting bosses with 12m yesterday. My best guess is that there are certain instances that are bugged. ZOS please fix.
That said I think my original point is still valid in that the first arc was still harder than soloing a base game dungeon and I know a lot of casual players in my guild that cant do that, they should at least ease up on the first arc difficulty for them.

[Edited for bait/bash]
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on November 2, 2023 3:40PM
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    True that. I am an average player and I breezed through the 1st arc. Heck, I breeze through the second one too - except the last boss. So any inputs on what's the mechanic with that tho’ at replicanum boss? Because I am as average as to not get what else am I supposed to do in there ( arc 2 - arc 1 it dies fine and well) - other than just run around (boss cue - "I want to see you run!") and stay alive. And that I cannot do. Top I ever got that boss (before I was overwhelmed by aoes and the many things happening around) - was about 50% . Then I get one-slapped into Oblivion by something or other (seeing that I have no time to do much beyond shield/heal/run) - so mobs gather, even if I almost one-shot the little ones. I have a feeling Atronachs are supposed to die but ... eh... they seem about as hard as the boss so I kind of skipped them :P - Please help? (with real inputs, not just what I found online like: "Once you clear this boss you're fine) . The "how" is what interests me - ty! (and no video links pls, I hate those - time-consuming, full of nonsense for what should be put in a sentence: Focus on that, pay attention to the other, shield then, roll - dodge that particular thing etc. - usually how mechanics stand).

Also if this post is inappropriate for the thread, please someone to guide me towards some proper EA mechanics talk - because all I find is rant and complaints.

Ah and to still underline what average is - proper players probably reached arc 5 by now if not finished it already. That is actual meta-end-gamers, whatever it is they're called.
    Edited by Erissime on November 1, 2023 1:44AM
  • kevkj
    kevkj
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible that you encountered a bug? I don't recall fighting any bosses with 12m HP in Arc 1.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    OP says "bosses with 12m hit points in the FIRST arc"

Now let's get a handle on that number.

BASE GAME world bosses are 1.8 million. The vast majority of players can't even solo those.

BASE GAME dungeon bosses are maybe 1.2-1.8 million on normal.

DLC world bosses have been recently getting up as far as 4-5 million, sometimes with adds, and in most cases aren't soloable by anybody except absolutely elite players.

The Deadlands Havocrels, and the Preserver of Galen, have 10 million HP each. These are not regarded as soloable by the average player.

"Average" players do not have complete sets of, say, Nirn (a DLC dungeon thing) and Deadly (a PVP outfit) all in correct traits. They might have, say, a base game dungeon outfit or a crafted. "Average" players are the ones still using things like Hundings, Julianos, Briarheart, Mothers Sorrow. If you're lucky. Certainly won't have a DLC monster helm, though they might just have a base-game monster helm and shoulders.

The "average" is not where you think it is.

An "Arc 1" boss, even a final one in a part of the game meant to be soloed, should not be throwing you right in at "Preserver of Galen" level.

It'd be nice if ZOS could give us actual data on what the average player is because I have seen very different opinions. When I was a casual I had mixed attributes, livewire x trappings of invigoration, bow/bow sorcerer werewolf. Could still solo a base game world boss in my remembrance, with effort. Could solo vvardenfell world bosses too, I think. If the average casual is at least wearing sets that make sense then that'd put them above where I was. Not saying it's impossible that the average player isn't able to complete arc 1, I think the AoEs the boss drops are unfair, but it is really hard to tell what the average or majority really is.
    Edited by Soarora on November 1, 2023 4:11AM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first Arc alone ramps up from veteran mode maelstrom arena to veteran Vastran by the end of the first arc

Wasn't my experience at all, it definitely started with "normal" and got to the first or second VMA arena difficulty at the end of an arc, then started to ramp up a bit. In my hour and something time I've had never felt the levels of Vateshran, not even close. That's the issue, we're seeing it differently and our average is way different metrics from each other.
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BASE GAME world bosses are 1.8 million. The vast majority of players can't even solo those.

DLC world bosses have been recently getting up as far as 4-5 million, sometimes with adds, and in most cases aren't soloable by anybody except absolutely elite players.

The Deadlands Havocrels, and the Preserver of Galen, have 10 million HP each. These are not regarded as soloable by the average player.

"Average" players do not have complete sets of, say, Nirn (a DLC dungeon thing) and Deadly (a PVP outfit) all in correct traits. They might have, say, a base game dungeon outfit or a crafted. "Average" players are the ones still using things like Hundings, Julianos, Briarheart, Mothers Sorrow. If you're lucky. Certainly won't have a DLC monster helm, though they might just have a base-game monster helm and shoulders.

An "Arc 1" boss, even a final one in a part of the game meant to be soloed, should not be throwing you right in at "Preserver of Galen" level.

The OP isn't actually fighting anything with 12m hp in the first go around.

I'd assume they either had a typo or a bug.

The last boss for the first go around is 2.3 m if I remember right.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Its 1.2 mil hp not 12 mil, just to be clear.
  • Eldartar
    Eldartar
    ✭✭✭✭
    WOW, that was fast even for ESO. less than 24 hours infact.
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    EA is great but i am struggling to see any reason to play past arc one also think the difficulty is fine. if someone could tell me any reasons there are to play past arc 1 and the daily i would appreciate it. ty
    Edited by Daoin on November 1, 2023 8:41AM
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficulty wise it felt somewhat okay to me. It definitely needs a bit more balancing though.
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    I also think that the progression is completely unbalanced. I may not necessarily do the most damage, but I have 42k life and even with that I can't even get to the end of arc 1 because bosses with one-shot mechanics already appear in 1.3.3 (or in arc 1 at all) and If you only have 3 attempts to learn this mechanic, then that's excessive difficulty.

The first Marauder is a bit of a steep increase, for something you can't skip, but so far for me the worst offender (by a long way) was Ghemvas the Harbinger. I think I even had him in first arc yesterday, first time, and instantly lost two threads since I absolutely didn't expect to getting nailed with a 3500 damage ticking bleed that early. That felt way out of whack.

Any chance it was Ghemvas in your case, too?
    Edited by Smaxx on November 1, 2023 9:33AM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Smaxx wrote: »
    Difficulty wise it felt somewhat okay to me. It definitely needs a bit more balancing though.
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    I also think that the progression is completely unbalanced. I may not necessarily do the most damage, but I have 42k life and even with that I can't even get to the end of arc 1 because bosses with one-shot mechanics already appear in 1.3.3 (or in arc 1 at all) and If you only have 3 attempts to learn this mechanic, then that's excessive difficulty.

The first Marauder is a bit of a steep increase, for something you can't skip, but so far for me the worst offender (by a long way) was Ghemvas the Harbinger. I think I even had him in first arc yesterday, first time, and instantly lost two threads since I absolutely didn't expect to getting nailed with a 3500 damage ticking bleed that early. That felt way out of whack.

Any chance it was Ghemvas in your case, too?

No, it wasn't Ghemvas, but I don't remember the name either, it was a boss I've never encountered in any dungeon before.

Edit: later in another round I encountered Lady Belain and there happened something similar, had her almost down and then got nailed until I was dead... lost all three threads in 1.3.3 and lost my fun to play further as well.
    Edited by Lugaldu on November 1, 2023 9:48AM