The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Templar animations are broken (Update 40)

Billium813
Billium813
✭✭✭✭✭
Looks like Radiant Ward animation is broken

oyg0tznmpwrf.gif
Edited by Billium813 on November 7, 2023 9:42PM
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Radial Sweep animation is broken too; all morphs. The old animation used to have an impact animation for each enemy hit, now the sweep animation just passes through the enemies with no impact animation. It was the same animation that Radiant Ward used to have when impacting enemies. Also, after the swing, the old animation used to pulse every 2 seconds with the additional damage. Now, it doesn't pulse and you just glow.

qilvqp2t16gt.gif
    Edited by Billium813 on November 7, 2023 9:46PM
  • zsitvaij
    zsitvaij
    ✭✭✭
    Jabs have been broken since U35, I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar jabs animation been broken since U35. Many posts about it since then if need to look it up.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea that Radial Sweep and its morphs were also affected. I sincerely hope that this isn't a permanent change meant to optimize the game's performance by removing visual effects.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea that Radial Sweep and its morphs were also affected. I sincerely hope that this isn't a permanent change meant to optimize the game's performance by removing visual effects.

Right, it seems to be three animations that are missing: the shield, the pulse, and the hit.

Radiant Ward used all three, which are now gone. Radial Sweep also used the same pulse and hit animation as Radiant Ward. It's interesting though, because I thought Restoring Aura used the same pulse animation, but Restoring Aura still seems to work. And I thought Jabs used the same hit animation, but that one still works too ... *shrug*

The shield animation on Sun Shield missing all together seems to imply to me that it's broken and not a design decision they made. I could see them removing the hit animation... but I would rather they not. It's was very satisfying tactile feedback in the game.
    Edited by Billium813 on November 22, 2023 9:55PM
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe we’re getting a fancy class re-work soon.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just want to follow up to this after testing the Crusader set from Volenfell, a set that provided the same animation as Sun Shield and that animation is completely missing too.

I haven’t been in DSA in awhile so I’m unsure if the adds still have the visual, but if not, then the skill animation has been completely ripped from the game.
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they needed to overwrite it to make more apex mount animations.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m not gonna let this thread get buried.

All we had as a Templar tank was roleplay because it excels at nothing else, and we can’t even do that properly as our Sun Shield animation no longer exists and we are left with nothing to replace it.

How is this okay?

So we go a whole patch without an animation on our skill? These types of things get hotfixed in other games in less than 48 hours, and only IF, a big “if” at that… QA does a horrible job and doesn’t catch it in the first place.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    I’m not gonna let this thread get buried.

No worries, I main Templar (DPS, Tank, and Healer) and will be checking up on this thread at each patch release As well as linking other related bugs I see opened. Thankfully, missing animations are a constant reminder in game.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Imagine Flame Lash had no animation for an entire patch?

How many Dragonknights would stay with the game after that?
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to argue with your point, but I think a more apt comparison would be Obsidian Shield...

Just to add a bit of context, patch v9.2.5 [Update 40] introduced the issue and v9.2.6 was 2 weeks later. I had hoped patch v9.2.6 would fix the issue, but ... I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. We have no idea if ZOS even KNOWS this is an issue (no communication), and I'm not sure how difficult the fix could be (it seems easy, but I have no idea). If they do know, they may be busy with the myriad of Endless Archive issues and place a visual animation low on priority.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, if something like this happened to dragonknights or nightblades, this forum would be up in arms over it. The class bias is real. Also sun shield was an ability not many people use, so it goes unnoticed.
    Edited by IncultaWolf on November 26, 2023 12:31AM
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect this issue will be fixed by the next major update. There are already multiple bug reports about it, and it seems like the issue is just a matter of fixing the broken references to the asset in the files.

It could've been caused by the internal name of the asset being changed, or possibly by the asset being completely removed. Maybe the size of the asset was made too small to see or was made invisible. Either way, the references to this asset (most of which come from Templar skills) don't cause the game to crash when attempting to load it, so it's possible that this unintended change was merely overlooked.

• IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta free up memory for those adorable last gen consoles.
    They're really struggling to keep up with the updates to the game.

Remember when the wings from the vampire scion were removed before released? But you could see it in early preview builds/gameplay? Yeah, it was for the same reason.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta free up memory for those adorable last gen consoles.
    They're really struggling to keep up with the updates to the game.

Remember when the wings from the vampire scion were removed before released? But you could see it in early preview builds/gameplay? Yeah, it was for the same reason.

Probably for the same reason that the bloodstain VFX for when werewolves fed on corpses was removed... or more recently, for the same reason that the animation for changing Costumes was removed.

It was never mentioned why these visual effects and animations were removed, so it's anybody's guess why. I suppose it sounds reasonable that they might be removed to further optimize the experience for users on lower end hardware, but I'd hope that visual effects that don't need to be telegraphed to other players would still be available in the clientside graphics settings.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on November 26, 2023 1:21AM

• Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yet Arcanists have a flood of animations, so I’m not quite sure that’s the reasoning.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is still an unacknowledged problem.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s been another week, still no fix.
  • Spearblade
    Spearblade
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sad ZOS hasn't even acknowledged this thread. Why have bug forums at all if they're not going to look at them?
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spearblade wrote: »
    Pretty sad ZOS hasn't even acknowledged this thread. Why have bug forums at all if they're not going to look at them?

Needs more time to bake :smiley: Don't worry the necro class set being broken hasn't been commented on either. I wouldn't expect a dev comment on it unfortunately.
  • Spearblade
    Spearblade
    ✭✭✭
    They just commented on DK leap being broken in certain scenarios. lol
  • Spearblade
    Spearblade
    ✭✭✭

Honestly, if something like this happened to dragonknights or nightblades, this forum would be up in arms over it. The class bias is real. Also sun shield was an ability not many people use, so it goes unnoticed.

:D
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, remember when one of the blast bones morphs was bugged and would glitch or never arrive, so they reworked the animation to speed up its arrival, nullifying the morphs entire purpose, and just left it like that despite people immediately pointing it out. There must be like a dozen devs at this point, twenty lawyers and thirty accountants.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
  • Spearblade
    Spearblade
    ✭✭✭
    Still broken.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Has this been addressed yet?

I’ve been away from the game.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of patch 9.2.7 (Dec 5th), this animation issue has not been fixed. Seems like the sort of low hanging fruit that can be completed during the holiday season, assuming they even know this is an issue.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Another week down, is it safe to assume this hasn’t been hotfixed yet?
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar jabs animation been broken since U35. Many posts about it since then if need to look it up.

Yep.