Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Ask Hawke

• One-Winged
    One-Winged
    Soul Shriven
    Hawke wrote: »
    @Gedalya I would definately expect pets in the in game store.. but mounts I do not think we will see them there, at least not for the first year...

WRONG. You can buy the Palomino mount from the ESO store.

I have a question for you: What is the worst fear of a Bosmer?

Angel.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @GaBacon Well if people were to try to stuff those extra arrows, they might accidently stab an arrow to their knee while shoving em in the bag.

See what I did there?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @demendred What's the point? It's all virtual anyways. And in the real world, we dont need groceries, we order pizza.
  • GaBacon
    GaBacon
    ✭✭
    Yeah Hawke. I was in awe the moment i started playing my first MMO (Asherons Call)
    Allthough if you looked at AC today, people would be like "Ummmm, people actualy played this thing?!" Yeah, we played it and it hooked many of us into being MMO fans for life. Gotta have a hobby :D
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @One-Winged Can you link the store page for me? Because I dont see a horse.

The worst fear a Bosmer can have is to be sooo stealthy that an orc thinks he is a tree while he does number 2.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @GaBacon yes, I tried to play those old games again.. Even the "revamp" of Anarchy Online was not enough to bring me back... but I have those memories of the cool sunglasses and the apartment that never was.
  • Mulk
    Mulk
    ✭✭✭
    @One-Winged Can you link the store page for me? Because I dont see a horse.

The worst fear a Bosmer can have is to be sooo stealthy that an orc thinks he is a tree while he does number 2.

okay, that made me lol at my desk at work.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Mulk Sorry, I'll try to not be funny. I'll be an Altmer from now on.
  • Mulk
    Mulk
    ✭✭✭
    @Hawke - :P

I thought the worst for a Bosmer would be mistaken for a tree and then by chopped down by a non-Bosmer. No one would eat him if that happened.

Being an Altmer just means you are gold and shiny, not that your humor has been surgically removed.

Now, in seriousness: Cake or Pie or Cheesecake?
  • Myrddinman
    Myrddinman
    ✭✭
    @Hawke I don't have a question (yet), but I just wanted to chime-in and say this thread is awesome! Thanks for putting yourself out there and doing what you can to enrich the community.

Cheers!
  • Fozz
    Fozz
    Do you realize what "Ask Hawke" sounds like when said aloud? Sort of like the good old Mike Hawke.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Mulk‌ Your logic shall not even be considered, since I am now an arrogant Altmer...

And Cheesecake of course.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Myrddinman thanks. If I try pimping myself out like this in real life, let's just say the cops couldn't prove it, since money did not exchange hands *winks*
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Fozz Well that is quite the cosmic irony. I had not thought of that. *laughs* but it is QUITE amusing.
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Hawke? Why are people saying "Early Access is extended" when it's obviously (SO obviously) not?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @WhiteQueen unfortunately people wish to have the attention on themselves to feed a deep seeded emptiness that is not fulfilled in the real world, these folks need to realize they are not the center of the megaserver.

Now post more here! Like me! Only me!
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello again,

I seem to be having difficulty figuring out when to block and when to interrupt enemy attacks in game - can you kindly advise when each of these moves should be used effectively?
    PC-EU
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Khenarthi no worries. When the enemy swings his weapon and it stops in mid swing and there are white lines coming from the weapon, hold block down until the attack is complete, he should be stunned.

When there are red lines coming from the enemy, he is doing something channeled so you need to press the block button, then your attack button to interrupt.

If you see red anything on the ground, you need to get out of dodge.

Does this help?
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hawke it does help, thank you!

So it's block for white lines, interrupt for red lines. Dodge if something's about to hit the place where I'm standing. Gotcha.

I had set an extra mouse key for interrupts but migth as well return to default if it makes it simpler. It actually makes sense that an attack will only be interrupted if you're already blocking.
    PC-EU
  • Thunder_Downunder
    Thunder_Downunder
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @Hawke, here's one for you.

I'm quite confused with all this talk of entering codes. I bought my Imperial edition via the ESO store. To date, I've not received any "code" to enter. My account says; Beta Access, Early Access and Set up Subscription plan.

Do I need to do anything more than just set up a subscription plan, or have I missed something?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Khenarthi no worries. I think those basic techniques are what is pushing other gamers away, because it is not the norm for tab targetting and just standing there and take it like an orc.

I think you will find that encounters are far far more easier using those techniques. Keep in mind, you drain stamina for those moves... No stamina, no blocks or interrupts.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Thunder_Downunder if you purchased your game through the ESO store, you are golden. Touched by the gods, dont have to worry about a thing, you are.

The codes are only for those people who purchase the game at different retailers.

So nothing to worry about. Sit back and enjoy the ride. And set up a subscription plan, you aren't immune to that... what? you want Zenimax to do everything for ya?

:smile:
  • Thunder_Downunder
    Thunder_Downunder
    ✭✭✭
    Touched by the gods

:smile:

haha yeah @Hawke I am that in more ways than one :)
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Thunder_Downunder so your name has true meaning. Congrats! And glad I can help out
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew about the stamina cost. 2 or 3 consecutive dodges and Khajiit is panting with no stamina left.

I never played MMOs before so I'm not familiar with their mechanics. In previous ES games I just tried to make sure I did not get hit either by staying in a really long range or running around plinking arrows at the enemy if they closed the gap. The plinking bit I can do on ESO but it takes longer because if I get too far away the mobs revert to their full health, and range is much more limited than in Oblivion or Skyrim.
    PC-EU
  • Holmes
    Holmes
    ✭✭
    @Hawke
    What are the respawn times for resource nodes? And I still haven't found any motifs. QQ
    Edited by Holmes on April 4, 2014 12:33PM
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Khenarthi then you dont have any bad habits formed when playing TESO :smile:
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Holmes it's like watching a clock. Time moves slower the more you wait for it.

I am not certain 100% of the reset timers of the nodes. It could be 30 minutes, it could be an hour. If someone knows, please feel free to comment.
  • Mulk
    Mulk
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure respawn timers are consistent across the game. And it would be hard to know unless ZOS chimes in - given how you sometimes wind up layer hopping, you can wind up looting the same container twice in ten minutes.

@Holmes, the motifs are unfortunately just a matter of being lucky. I've rounded up more motifs books than all of the people I know together I think - found my fourth last night, all in the past day and a half. Others on the forums claim to have found more, but a lot (maybe even most) don't have any. Eventually your turn will come.

edit, cause I can't read this early apparently.
    Edited by Mulk on April 4, 2014 1:25PM
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @Khenarthi and @Hawke - a little more on the subjects of blocking and dodge

You can also do a "bash", strike the foe using a block multiple times, uses stamina though so watch your stamina.

On the white line attack by a foe, once you stun them, hit them again with a block attack. This will knock them down, though I don't think this always happens.

On the red line attack, get a block up, hit them with a block if you can. Even it you can't hit them with a block, you may get lucky (this seems some what random) and their attack will fail anyway.

If you find that you have run out of stamina for a dodge, see if you can just simply walk out of the zone of red. This works well with archers.

In general, don't stand still, keep moving. Don't let multiple foes surround you, try to keep them in front of you. You can also, if you have the stamina and a opening (remember collision is on for foes now), dodge roll out of a mob.

I'm still not sure if "facing" is in effect. I assume it is anyway and try and attack the foe from the side and rear as much as possible. Assuming such an attack will do more damage since it is coming in on a less defended quarter. Verification of this would be great if anyone knows.
    The Sidekick Order
This discussion has been closed.