Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Ask Hawke

• kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, correct me If I've got this wrong but essentially are you saying Tamriel is a little like China with no copyright laws.

Interesting...
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Taurus498
    Taurus498
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few questions. :)

1. I would really like to have 12 characters, but at the moment we can currently only have a paltry 8, when and how will we be able to purchase more character slots?

2. What exactly does the padlock symbol on gear mean?

3. How many enchantment glyphs can I add onto a gear piece?

4. What exactly happens when a weapon runs out of Charge?

5. What's the point of Fishing? Do we use the fish for ingredients or are they just for selling?

6. Is there Kill Stealing in this game? For example, if I attack an enemy that is already being fought by another player and help kill it, is that detrimental to that other player at all? Do they get less XP & Loot?

7. Can you level up a summoned creature by just sitting back and letting it tank damage from a mob?
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to steal teh hawkes thunder, but you can have up to 8 characters per server.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Taurus498
    Taurus498
    ✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »
    I don't want to steal teh hawkes thunder, but you can have up to 8 characters per server.

Yep, but unfortunately playing on the EU server is far too laggy for me, as I'm in New Zealand. So I'd rather have all my characters on the same NA Server.

I find it strange that there is currently no option to purchase more Character Slots, when almost every other MMO I've played gives you this option.

• Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taurus498 wrote: »
    kijima wrote: »

Yep, but unfortunately playing on the EU server is far too laggy for me, as I'm in New Zealand. So I'd rather have all my characters on the same NA Server.

I find it strange that there is currently no option to purchase more Character Slots, when almost every other MMO I've played gives you this option.

Same boat as you, although AU here.

I decided not to hit up the EU servers for the same reasons, but then they are still currently in America which has got me thinking, and to be honest I haven't checked the ping by direct comparison. Might be worth doing, as while the server will eventually be moved, it's not at the moment and let's be honest, that could take years.

That was my thought on it anyway being in a similar boat to you.

P.S. Our boats have winged keels ;)

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Louis
    Louis
    ✭✭✭
    What is the Color of the Night?
    alot of people look at this signature, i guess youre one of them.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Louis wrote: »
    What is the Color of the Night?

Black, like your humour. :p

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• carstedes
    carstedes
    Okay, @Hawke. With a skill such as Weakness to Elements in the destruction staff line that removes an enemy's reticence to a certain element, if I cast this on an any that doesn't already have any resistance, will they then be weak to that element?

Example: If a mob has a 0% resistance to fire and I cast Weakness to Elements on it, will it then have a %40 weakness to fire for the duration?

edit: two words
    Edited by carstedes on April 2, 2014 5:44AM
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @kijima well, I wouldn't say China, but you get the idea.

@Taurus498 rapid fire eh? Let's see how I do.

1. Right now only 8 character slots. Normally I would say yes more character slots could be in the future as that is industry norm, but BethMax has not followed any "normal" procedures for MMOs yet. So I would daresay no.

2. The padlock on gear... I would have to pay more attention, sorry. Normally that means you are not of the appropriate level to use it (character level that is).

3. As far as I know, only one Glyph can be added to an item, but when you craft it you can add a trait, so that is two "extra" stuff that can be on a single item.

4. When a weapon runs out of charge it loses that added damage. You can power it up again by utilizing the proper level of soul stone (filled of course), then you just keep feeding it.

5. The point of fishing is to get fish that you can cook. Or sell to the vender. Depending on the bait you use and your luck in getting it, you never know what you might actually get.

6. No, there is no kill stealing. You get credit for the kill just by smacking the mob once with a damage ability. And all loot (except chests) is localized to the character, which means multiple people who loot the same corpse will find different things on it. If there is any loot.

7. Yes you can have a summoned creature kill stuff, but the sorcerer summon is not that strong... it just meant to be a DoT and agro attractor. You get xp for your skills based on what is on your hotbar. And farming kills is not the way to go for xp in this game. Quest turn and exploration are far far more effective.

For leveling tips for skills when you first start out, check out my guide as you can get xp for 9 skills at one time.. until you figure out what you want.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide#latest

• Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @‌Heindrich http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide#latest

@Louis The Color of Night is purely Bruce "The Man" Willis getting his groove on. But it is also how people see the world 24/7 whether it is a physical or psychological condition. For me... it was my excuse when I was 5 years old and forced to color... So I used the only black crayon on an entire sheet of paper... when my teacher asked me what I "drew" I said , "it's the night!"

I was such a sarcastic little Bast&(@!
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @carstedes Great question. In two words? No Clue. I am not sure how that would work out. Your theory is sound, but... it would need actual testing so I dont want to give you bad info. Sorry.
  • CH_Lichthammer
    CH_Lichthammer
    Soul Shriven
    Hi Hawke

Thanks for taking up the work of answering all our questions :)

I'm trying to get into woodworking, but I have two problems:

1. I got the hireling perk (1/3) but have not seen any signs of a hireling yet. How does the hireling work? I read that you get stuff from the hireling once every 24 hours. But how does that work? Is there an actual NPC coming to you, or is the stuff just added to your inventory so you'll never notice what you got?

2. I got the woodworking (2/9) perk so that I can use Oak now. I searched half of Auridon but didn't find a single piece of Rough Oak. What am I missing?
    best regards,
    Lichthammer
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    This is the thread where your questions will get answered!

However, if I do not know the answer, I will let you know, but come and try stumping the Hawke!

A guy was on a few days ago and said you stole his name from beta!
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Moobs
    Moobs
    ✭✭✭
    , and if nothing else is costing the gold farmers $60 each time they get banned from spamming my /yell and /zone channels.

As I stated in another thread, the gold selling scum aren't buying the game legitimately. They steal accounts until they get banned, or used stolen credit cards to buy the game. In the end this is a loss for Zeni as the charges will eventually get reversed when the banks catch on.

It's ironic that the idiots that buy gold are some of the ones that eventually get their accounts stolen by the very same people they bought gold from.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @CH_Lichthammer The danged unions in Tamriel don't allow the hireling to work until after the first 24 hours. Then he will lazily mail you something, and if it isnt Sunday or after 2pm you should have something in your mailbox. And every 24 hours later.

As far as the oak, If you are not in the northern part of Auridon you might not find anything. Since oak is considered level 12 or 15+ for its equipment, well.. you are kinda SOL in that reguard. Sorry.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Skjlvald Finders Keepers?

In a brief moment of seriousness, I had @hawke since beta in mid 2013 or so.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    @Skjlvald Finders Keepers?

In a brief moment of seriousness, I had @hawke since beta in mid 2013 or so.

Oh I know, he had just made a post a few days ago want to work out a deal for the name lol.
    Ulyn Andrano

Ebonheart Pact
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moobs Unfortunately account security is not something that most folks find important. If we ever get authenticators, that would help squash the account thefts. But they do purchase the game legitmately, these are mostly the farmer accounts.

Heck, gold farmers in this game, I dont really give a crap about. After horses, repair, and siege equipment, who cares about having 1 billion gold? Not like they can affect the world market since there is no serverwide auction house.

But gold farming is a subject that gets my blood to insta boil, so I will leave it at that.
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    By chance know who has my name of Liquid? Had that name since EQ pre-kunark....and for my second question. Why does maple logs seem rare? Is it because the game is new, and thus the trees are new?
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭

LOL Oh. And I was all thinking to my self "HEY, ITS THAT GUY I FOUND HIM."

So must be character name only haha... hey I been sitting at the forums for 6 hours now.... I blame it on that :P
    Edited by Skjlvald on April 2, 2014 11:23AM
    Ulyn Andrano

Ebonheart Pact
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    What is the square root of Pi?
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • CH_Lichthammer
    CH_Lichthammer
    Soul Shriven
    @CH_Lichthammer The danged unions in Tamriel don't allow the hireling to work until after the first 24 hours. Then he will lazily mail you something, and if it isnt Sunday or after 2pm you should have something in your mailbox. And every 24 hours later.

As far as the oak, If you are not in the northern part of Auridon you might not find anything. Since oak is considered level 12 or 15+ for its equipment, well.. you are kinda SOL in that reguard. Sorry.

Thanks for the answer!

Guess which half of Auridon I've already searched (thoroughly...) -.-
    best regards,
    Lichthammer
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @LIQUID741 well for your first question, I do not know who has the name Liquid. One option you can do is to send that character an email, and be descriptive as to your intentions and realize that it goes to the player's account. So when they respond it will be with a @name. Talk to them and ask politely is my recommendation.

The maple log issue. You see, when that group of underground knock off artists made the quivers that never run out of arrows, they nearly wiped out all of the maple trees in the land. They are far more sparse than any other resource out there. Hopefully the maple will repopulate to be more on par with the iron deposits.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Skjlvald Hahaha! I thank you for the looking out. Yes it was for the character name. He was very civil about it, and it was quite refreshing.

@Lazarus_Long Does it really matter if it is pumpkin PI or a real good Apple PI ?

@CH_Lichthammer At least you have more Maple!
  • Thunder_Downunder
    Thunder_Downunder
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the level of orthopaedic surgery in Skyrim such that a simple arrow to knee will stop you adventuring?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Thunder_Downunder Well, let's face it. Tamriel cannot get their act together, since there are three alliances now who are at war with each other. A unified health care plan just is not in the budget. Maybe when everyone gets smart and realizes that are meant to be ruled by @hawke, only then may we do away with the "arrow to the knee" syndrome.

Let us all hope!
  • ThePunchening
    What is the square root of Pi?

Delicious. Any root of Pi = Delicious.

I have noticed a tendency in-game to where groups prefer a "staff healer". Is there really that big a difference in a healer's preferred choice of weapon? (Granted, the passive abilities are rather nice, but all the same it seems like that would create an imbalance to only have one way to build a healing character. Particularly when that build does not lend itself to adventuring solo.) I realize this is less a question so much as "picking nits", but all the same, I think it may be cause for concern going forward.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the level of orthopaedic surgery in Skyrim such that a simple arrow to knee will stop you adventuring?

Raise the dead: Check
    Spells for healing all wounds: Check
    Arrow to knee stops a Nordic warrior bred for battle: Check.
    Ulyn Andrano

Ebonheart Pact
This discussion has been closed.