The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread, "Earn Bizarre Rewards During the Jester’s Festival Event!"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
my78b8l76mcu.jpg
This is the official discussion thread for, "Embrace the Outrageous and Earn Bizarre Rewards During the Jester’s Festival Event!"

"Spread mirth and mayhem across all of Tamriel with the return of the Jester’s Festival in-game event."
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on April 18, 2023 3:02PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am deeply interested in partaking this year's Jester Festival!!
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • Kelinmiriel
    Kelinmiriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin - First, thank you for the early announcement! It's always nice to know about events ahead of time!

Also, love the new Hide Shoulders, and the Jester's Daedroth costume is adorable!

However, there are two things:

Last partial-day tickets:
    I'm sad to see that the inequity between servers for the last partial-day tickets that has occurred from the new reset timers hasn't been addressed. I love the new reset timers for everything except this.

The last day, players on the three EU servers will have 11 hours to get their last tickets, while everyone on the three NA servers will have only four.

It's always been the same on all servers in the past: 8-9 hours when there wasn't a shutdown the night before; less if there was.

Announcement date error:
    The announcement says at the bottom that the event will end "Wednesday, April 6". April 6 is a Thursday. So which is it? Wednesday, which is the 5th, or the 6th, which is a Thursday?

Since the announcement also claims that 24 tickets are potentially available, it appears that Wednesday, April 5 would be the more likely answer, including both partial days - although as I pointed out, it's going to be quite a challenge for a lot of NA players to get their last tickets in the new 4-hour time window available.
    Event Tracker addon (PC NA/EU)
    Helps you keep track of your Event Tickets, so you don't miss any. Double XP on events is PASSIVE now!!
  • Kelinmiriel
    Kelinmiriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't you glad you have me proofreading for you? ;)
    Event Tracker addon (PC NA/EU)
    Helps you keep track of your Event Tickets, so you don't miss any. Double XP on events is PASSIVE now!!
  • LordDraw
    LordDraw
    ✭✭
    Are Bucket Style Page and Broom Style Page somehow revelant to Pay to Lose items added in 2017?
    Do they look the same? I wanted to buy them but I started playing about 5 months later.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a concern about the costume fragment availability.

Your article (and testing on PTS) showed that they aren't necessarily guaranteed from the gold boxes. It seems from reading the article that we will get one fragment a day unless we are 'lucky' enough to drop the broom/bucket page, but I don't know if that's confirmed. Are we allowed to know if we can expect one (or more!) per day?

The problem is that on PTS, we needed 10 fragments to build the costume. The event itself runs 8 days only, and that's assuming we can participate every day... which as pointed out is very difficult for players on the NA server (the daily reset is now 6 am EDT and the event ends at 10 am EDT, leaving players with only 4 hours to get that last day at a rather inconvenient time for most of the US). That means, if the fragments are guaranteed one-per-gold-box, no players will be able to complete the costume without purchasing extra fragments with event tickets.

Can we get a confirmation as to whether the costume still requires 10 fragments to complete?

Also, the article does not mention if the Passion's Muse fragments will be available in the next event. We have gotten that confirmed a few times, but especially since many players are short on tickets due to the missing February event and the fact that we may have to prioritize costume fragments due to the above , it would be nice to have a mention that the Passion's Muse items will still be available in the next event as well.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sovereign sow where?
  • MafiaCat115
    MafiaCat115
    ✭✭✭✭
    In addition to the above points, I'd love to see the availability for the Q1 Indriks (like the Spectral one) extended since they also got snubbed event tickets
    Still hoping that one day hair dyeing will be an option. We know it's canon in universe already thanks to a book in the Manor of Masques! (House of Reveries: The Troupe)
    Proud owner of a Morrowind Banner of the 6th House (back when it actually meant something)
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A little bit of proofreading:
    If you miss your chance to snag the Hide Shoulder Collectible during this Jester’s Festival, don’t worry! You’ll be able to return to her assistant, Philius Dormier, at any time and pick up the Collectible there.

There needs to be more precise language on what currency is being used to get the collectible. Tickets, gold, whatever. It's unclear what'll be used to purchase it, may cause confusion for some.
    Edited by Destai on March 23, 2023 4:15PM
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Proofreader @Kelinmiriel, we appreciate your service. Making the change now.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Protector1981
    Protector1981
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

Is the Startdate correct? When yes, we get 27 Tickets, not 24. Or starts the Event on March 30, this is a Thursday. When yes, please correct :)

Note: For me: I never seen a Event starts on a Wednesday.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Is the Startdate correct? When yes, we get 27 Tickets, not 24. Or starts the Event on March 30, this is a Thursday. When yes, please correct :)

I know ZOS used to favor *not* counting the last partial day when reporting the number of available tickets due to the fact that not all players can do it or if a maintenance precludes that... particularly in this case since NA will only have a 4-hour window to get that elusive 8th day of tickets, and even then that's assuming we won't have a maintenance on the 6th (which would start at 4 am EDT or two hours before reset, and would prevent all NA players from getting on in time to get the 8th day).

In recent events, they have started counting that last day, but now with the reset changes they probably went back to not including that last 'day' in the article. And I fear that NA players will probably only be able to get the max of 24 anyway due to the potential for maintenance and the short window.

---
    LordDraw wrote: »
    Are Bucket Style Page and Broom Style Page somehow revelant to Pay to Lose items added in 2017?
    Do they look the same? I wanted to buy them but I started playing about 5 months later.

From PTS, they are outfit style pages of the Pay to Lose pack items.

The PtL pack was a Level 1 gear set. What is being offered here is style pages that can be applied to any outfit, so you can also choose to put those on and wear it in actual content.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on March 22, 2023 7:00PM
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    LordDraw wrote: »

They do look similar. However, with the bucket and broom styles, you can apply them to your gear. With the Pay To Lose items, they were specific items.
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

Start date is correct. It is starting Wednesday, March 29.
    Staff Post
  • Protector1981
    Protector1981
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Start date is correct. It is starting Wednesday, March 29.

Okay, thank you :)

@tomofhyrule

Thank your for explaining :) Iam PC-EU-Player so i was a bit confused. :)

Edit: But yes, you complete right. When is a maintenance we also dont get the Last Day Tickets. So, only the 24 Tickets are guaranteed. Its fine for me :)
    Edited by Protector1981 on March 22, 2023 7:26PM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    A little bit of proofreading:
    If you miss your chance to snag the Hide Shoulder Collectible during this Jester’s Festival, don’t worry! You’ll be able to return to her assistant, Philius Dormier, at any time and pick up the Collectible there.

There needs to be more precise language on what currency is being used to get the collectible. Tickets, gold, whatever. It's not what'll be used to purchase it after the event, may cause confusion for some.
    I was under the impression that hide shoulders was a free addition to the game, I'm pretty unhappy that I would have to use event tickets for it, when I had something else planned for the tickets.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Q: are the various indriks still available during this event? I almost have all the fragments for the nascent indrik, so I want to get this then work on getting a morph.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

Your article (and testing on PTS) showed that they aren't necessarily guaranteed from the gold boxes. It seems from reading the article that we will get one fragment a day unless we are 'lucky' enough to drop the broom/bucket page, but I don't know if that's confirmed. Are we allowed to know if we can expect one (or more!) per day?

The problem is that on PTS, we needed 10 fragments to build the costume. The event itself runs 8 days only, and that's assuming we can participate every day... which as pointed out is very difficult for players on the NA server (the daily reset is now 6 am EDT and the event ends at 10 am EDT, leaving players with only 4 hours to get that last day at a rather inconvenient time for most of the US). That means, if the fragments are guaranteed one-per-gold-box, no players will be able to complete the costume without purchasing extra fragments with event tickets.

Can we get a confirmation as to whether the costume still requires 10 fragments to complete?

Also, the article does not mention if the Passion's Muse fragments will be available in the next event. We have gotten that confirmed a few times, but especially since many players are short on tickets due to the missing February event and the fact that we may have to prioritize costume fragments due to the above , it would be nice to have a mention that the Passion's Muse items will still be available in the next event as well.

After chatting with the team, we have a few answers to share.
    • the costume still requires 10 fragments to complete.
    • Fragments are not guaranteed per Stupendous Jester’s Festival Box as they only have a chance to drop, as stated in the article.
    • Passion Muse fragments will be available throughout Q2 events, given the Whitestrake's Mayhem Shift.

We have taken this feedback to the team so they have this as part of their review of the event and can reference for next year.
    Staff Post
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

After chatting with the team, we have a few answers to share.
    • the costume still requires 10 fragments to complete.
    • Fragments are not guaranteed per Stupendous Jester’s Festival Box as they only have a chance to drop, as stated in the article.
    • Passion Muse fragments will be available throughout Q2 events, given the Whitestrake's Mayhem Shift.

We have taken this feedback to the team so they have this as part of their review of the event and can reference for next year.

Extremely disappointed that you did not either make the costume fragments a guaranteed drop or reduce the number required. I posted this feedback on the PTS that the number required is too high considering that they are not guaranteed from the stupendous box, of which you only get one per day AND that the event is only 8 days (9 if you're able to get in the last few hours of the event).

This basically guarantees that very few will be able to complete this without using event tickets, which are at a premium already for this event due to only two events this quarter. Granted, the muse personality fragments will carry over to the next quarter, but they will compete with the new fragments for event tickets. Now, the costume fragments are tradable, so in theory one could complete it by purchasing from other players, but there likely won't be too many for sale since players aren't going to have extras to sell. Some may not want the costume so there will be some for sale, but likely at extremely high prices.

Also, why in the world are the Cadwell pages a drop in the stupendous boxes? They should be included in the regular boxes with the other "previous years' style pages." Further, not only does the costume fragment have to compete with 6 other items (Cadwell pages, 2 runeboxes, joke popper/noisemaker parts, and a high value treasure (seriously? I can get a purple treasure instead of a costume fragment?), it can also be REPLACED not only by the broom and bucket style pages, but also by previous years' style pages.

Are you really desperate for players to purchase event tickets from the crown store? Also, do you really think we like having previous event items clog the loot tables? It's fine for them to be a drop in the regular boxes, as you can earn what 6 or so of those each day. But getting a Cadwell page instead of a costume fragment? (Or 3-4 year old runeboxes? Or 2-3 year old memento parts? Or a purple treasure?). Or worse, having the fragment REPLACED by a Cadwell page or one of the other previous years' pages? Being replaced by the bucket or broom page is not so bad, since they are new this year as well.

It'll remain to be seen how many players will be selling the costume fragments, but it looks like most will have to use event tickets to complete this costume this year.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 22, 2023 9:23PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kevin. It may not be the answer some of us wanted to hear, but it's good to get confirmation on that.

If I were to offer some feedback to the team, it would be that the Jester's Event is one of the worst in terms of allowing players to get the new goods. The Jester's event has always been shorter than all other events (since the Anniversary is always directly afterwards) - I'm actually surprised we're getting the extra day this round with it starting a day early - so that means that tickets are always at a premium during that event. And doubly so for this year since we missed a February event. But even with the shortened event, we still usually have a lot of new stuff to collect, usually more than what is given at other events (as an example, the last two Season of the Dragon and New life events had 7/6 outfit pages as the new thing. Here, we get 10 collectible fragments plus two more style pages for a total of 12 collectibles).

Last year's Jester's Festival, we got a brand new outfit style with 7 parts and a new memento for 5 fragments (5 tickets each at the impresario for the style and 3 for the memento shards for 50 total) that had the potential to drop from boxes. The year before that was also the same. This year, we have a costume with 10 fragments and two outfit styles (3 each fragment and 5 for the styles for 40 total tickets). And in each case, the number of tickets we can earn is only 3 per day for a week, so it's impossible to earn enough tickets to collect everything, not to mention the fragments for the current morphable (or Indriks for players who missed those).

Normally this wouldn't be a problem since we can collect fragments/pages in boxes, but the design of the Jester boxes is so much different than those of other events. In our 'zone celebration' events or other holiday events like New Life, we can get multiple opportunities per day to have a chance of dropping these items. In the Jester's Festival, only the first box will the gold one with a chance of dropping the goods. And then it is only a chance - if it doesn't have one, you're out of luck for the day. And getting a 1500 gold saleable is a major disappointment when your goal is to get fragments for the costume (which you literally can't collect yourself this event and need to rely on buying the rest with tickets or from generous players who don't care about it).

Furthermore, the 'non-stupendous' Jester boxes then are... underwhelming. While they can drop recipes (one of which is currently desirable), those drop rates are low enough that people don't feel the need to grind for only a single thing. Most of the rest of the Jester's box loot are consumable fireworks or pies items, along with some saleables or themed furniture. In essence, since there's not a chance of getting much from the grey boxes (and no chance of getting any of the desirable new loot), players don't feel the need to do more than one jester quest per day on more than one character. And since there's a limited way to get the new Jester's items, it makes the event that much more infuriating. In essence, it ends up being more of a "get annoyed hunting the goods from guild traders and paying through the nose" event rather than a "have fun with silliness and get rewarded" event.

The main feedback I'd give for next year would be one or more of the following:
    • Make the gold box have a guaranteed new item. In this year's case, it'd be a guaranteed costume fragment, or the switch to the broom/bucket style page. That would at least give players who interact with the event daily the hope that they could finish the item. And for things like last year when we had outfit styles, then that could make them more available to the public as well since people will be more likely to sell the extras without saturating the market.
    • Severely reduce the number of things that can drop from the gold boxes. Getting a saleable or old style page in the gold box is a major disappointment since it's limited and that only makes it one more that you as a player need to buy from an external source. With the Jester's event being shorter, it should not be as easy to get old items instead of new ones.
    • Give players more incentive for doing the other quests. The normal boxes don't have much of value, so giving them a chance to drop the new goods (like the purple boxes for zone events) would also help to entice players to keep interacting with the event rather than just doing one quest and calling it quits. And again, a chance of getting more than one of the new things per day would help players complete their collection.

I've decided that I need to forgo the indrik this event, which means I have to wait until next January to finish my old incomplete indrik. Hopefully that means I'll be able to get the costume since I really want that and I've loved it since I saw it on PTS, and then I can get the personality during Q2. But I'll definitely be looking to buy the Jester's stuff at guild traders starting the first day of the event since I want to get those done ASAP, so if anyone has alt accounts and wants to sell those fragments at a reasonable price...
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Q: are the various indriks still available during this event? I almost have all the fragments for the nascent indrik, so I want to get this then work on getting a morph.

The Q1 indriks will be available for Jester's. However, unlike the Passion's Muse personality, they will not be available in Q2. At the following event, the Q2 indriks will be available.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7814544/#Comment_7814544
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as having old rewards in the loot table, I think it's a good idea for newer players to be able to acquire old rewards. Yes, old rewards can be moved to a grab bag and sold by the Impresario-- but that requires spending event tickets on the grab bag, whereas having them as possible loot in the event coffers saves newer players from having to spend their tickets on acquiring old items when there are also new items to acquire.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    As far as having old rewards in the loot table, I think it's a good idea for newer players to be able to acquire old rewards. Yes, old rewards can be moved to a grab bag and sold by the Impresario-- but that requires spending event tickets on the grab bag, whereas having them as possible loot in the event coffers saves newer players from having to spend their tickets on acquiring old items when there are also new items to acquire.
    The thing people are suggesting is that old rewards should be in purple box loot table. So yes, they should be available, just not in the gold box loot table competing with new items. Alternatively, the new items could be in the purple box loot table.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, let me see if I got this right: new items only drop from the golden boxes (if you're lucky). Other than getting the dubious Camoran throne recipe, what's the incentive to do all available quests, then?
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My feedback on the event. This is one of the shortest themed events that you offer. Event specific items should be possible to achieve and obtain during the event without resorting to event tickets, this often is the result of it being smashed right next to the anniversary event.

So my thoughts are thus on how to improve the event.

1) curate drops
    2) cut the amount of items needed to assemble event items down.
    3) start the event sooner, rather than later, and make it longer.
    4) add a jesters festival catch up mechanic to purple loot boxes that is curated.

Edited by wolfie1.0. on March 23, 2023 11:02PM
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My opinion is that events should give incentive to people to actually play ESO, not funnel them to spend crowns on tickets to get items they can't possibly collect even if they do the event every day it's active. Tickets earned should reward players for playing which keeps your game alive and players active. Funneling to the crown shop leaves a bad taste in the mouth, not only for old players who remember more generous previous years, but also new players who will get a bad impression of ESO. Just google "ESO is heavily monetized" and you will see how bad that impression is.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds unfair, unrewarding and boooooring
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So even if one was extremely lucky and got a costume fragment every day of the event, they would still not be able to complete it without spending at least six tickets? And if they were somewhat unlucky and got no fragments at all from the one per day boxes, they would have to spend more tickets (30) than are available in the entire event (24)?

Wow.

Edited by Jaraal on March 24, 2023 8:59AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    So even if one was extremely lucky and got a costume fragment every day of the event, they would still not be able to complete it without spending at least six tickets? And if they were somewhat unlucky and got no fragments at all from the one per day boxes, they would have to spend more tickets (30) than are available in the entire event (24)?

Wow.

If they specifically say that impresario has bound fragments, maybe fragments from boxes would be tradeable and available from guild traders for gold. But still, it kind of spoils festive spirit.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow, so there even official confirmation that all of this will be done on purpose. I can participate in event doing 100% of possible activities and still will be forced to buy fragments with tickets and even that can be not enough with bad RNG. At the same time we have 2 muse fragments after cancelled event AND even stupid hide-shoulder style requires tickets.

You know that events in MMOs are mostly for keeping interest in game, giving players some reasons to login into game? [Snip] For me it's opposite effect, because this is too much - I made a promise to myself that I won't buy any crowns ever. I like the game and for it was ok to support it by buying some stuff, but when I feel used and there is no balance with giving and taking - I don't wanna be part of this.

I play this game for relax. But now with this event I'm only angry and I don't know why I should even bother when it's all about jerking some money out of me?
    maybe fragments from boxes would be tradeable
    Yeah, good luck - with this droprate and no possibility to farm, it will be probably 500k per fragment or even more.

[Edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on March 29, 2023 1:45PM
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    After much thought getting the costume seems to much like a bad joke. Looking at all aspects of it. Because jesters event had always been a shorter event, and yet when it comes to collectibles from it you seem to always set us up for failure. It's hard to believe that this costume wasn't designed knowing how limited it would be avaliable. Especially since you only get one shot at getting it per day, per account and it's not guaranteed, and even if it were a guaranteed drop you would need multiple accounts to get it, and for some it could take 3 to 4 years to finish based on what I have seen from previous drop rates on this event.

Going to assume that this wasnt intentional. However, this type of thing has turned what should be a fun and whimsical event into a nightmare of a grind and a cruel joke. We players as a community would be better off if we assumed the costume doesn't exist for another year. or was crown exclusive, because for most people that will be what it is.

I am disappointed, I was looking forward to the thing.