Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The new Companions are both Male, but...

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi All! We've been keeping tabs on this thread for companion thoughts and feedback. So thanks for all who have contributed so far and for @SilverBride for starting it up.

As noted in some threads around companions last year, we're keeping track and taking the feedback noted back to the dev team. As some of you have noted, one of the most requested elements of adding new companions was to even out the ratio with two male companions, which we were able to do in Necrom. While we know not everyone was going to get the companion archetype they hoped for, we hope some of you enjoy your time with Sharp-As-Night and Azandar Al-Cybiades.

We'll have some opportunities to learn more about your new companions in the coming weeks and months, but definitely continue your feedback here and we'll keep an eye on it here.

Wait a moment. A companion is named Alcibiades???

That is arguably the most iconic bisexual male name in recorded history. (Plato portrayed Alcibiades as a gay libertine who was implied to be bisexual overall; Plutarch depicted him as living with a woman at the time of his death.)

https://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/symposium/section13/

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyhow, my take on the female companions so far (I'm a straight male) is:
    • Mirri seems to be in love with me, whether or not she's realized it herself. I like her, but not in that way.
    • Isobel is a wonderful imaginary friend, and quite appealing as a woman as well. Too bad she's gay.
    • Ember doesn't interest me on any level.

Seriously, I think the devs did a really great job with Isobel, from beginning to end. My criticisms are only minor ones, like her penchant for talking right over somebody's dialogue when she's fangirling them.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on February 11, 2023 10:49AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, gender and race don’t matter to me, but there’s one thing I don’t understand.

Necrom is the City of the Dead, was it too obvious to give us a necromancer?

I do not spit on the new ones, besides the Arcanist tempts me well, at least to discover the class with my main. But the road was paved for a companion focused on the forbidden arts.

Perhaps they were happy to postpone deaing with the complications of having a companion who keeps committing criminal acts.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    You are free to want that of course. I still wouldn't want my character to do that....

No one said you have to. It would be completely optional.
    I am not saying what others should want of course, but romancing a digital character is still the player romancing a digital character.

Uhm, no? My characters don't even all have the same gender or sexual orientation as me.

Same here, I have a pretty even mix of male and female chars. Myself being a happily married hetero, I have no problems RPing my male characters having interest in females or longing for that connection. If people don't understand that for us it is purely storytelling and has nothing to do with us personally, I don't think they will ever get it. It is not ME romancing a digital character, it is my character as his or her own character in a story unfolding, like watching a movie or reading a book. Some of us just never grew out of playing with action figures mentally.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fennorian wrote: »
    They just need to make Fennorian a companion when they bring out an altmer companion 2d5v0d72xd7l.jpeg

Smolder Scrolls in ESO! I would also love having our favorite NPCs being unlocked as companions. I'm sure there would be a way to program them to either despawn near their quest counterpart or to get them to give their quest dialogue when we enter the area where they would normally give a quest if we haven't done it. We still don't have enough of them as houseguests. I've been collecting my favorite NPC houseguests when they become available and I have the extra funds for them. Still waiting for a Fennorian houseguest.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Crown_of_Antlers
    Crown_of_Antlers
    ✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »

Same here, I have a pretty even mix of male and female chars. Myself being a happily married hetero, I have no problems RPing my male characters having interest in females or longing for that connection. If people don't understand that for us it is purely storytelling and has nothing to do with us personally, I don't think they will ever get it. It is not ME romancing a digital character, it is my character as his or her own character in a story unfolding, like watching a movie or reading a book. Some of us just never grew out of playing with action figures mentally.

This right here. In another thread I saw someone saying how "you don't need companions. The content is easy enough as it is". Sure, we don't NEED them, but for many of us it's not about having additional help to deal with mobs. We're playing the game like an interactive book and would like our characters to have friends. That's how I see Bastian and Mirri (I don't have access to the other two companins). They are friends that my Bosmer met along the way.

I remain hopeful that we will someday have a male Bosmer companion (preferably who looks like Lorchon) because I would like such a character to be a part of my character's story. And, just as Kesstryl said, it's not ME who would be romancing that companion. It would be my character.

And before anyone points out something like "this is an MMO, find a roleplay guild if you want to do that", that option doesn't always work for me. I play at odd hours and find that most of the time I can't log in for organized roleplay events. The companions on the other hand are available to take part in the story any time that I am able to play.

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realised I never mentioned this point before, and it still seems relevant: just like players have characters of different races, genders and sexualities (which don't necessarily match the player) there are player characters of different ages too, so older companions are not automatically out of the question for romance options.

Two of my characters are about mid-50's and whatever the dunmer equivalent of that is, another 2 I've never really thought about their age but given their backstories they'd be mid-30's at least and whilst they'd all be open to adventuring alongside someone younger I don't think they'd want a relationship with a big age gap.

There seems to be an reoccuring assumption in this thread that for a companion to be a romance option they must be young (and conventionally attractive) and I think that's a mistake.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I realised I never mentioned this point before, and it still seems relevant: just like players have characters of different races, genders and sexualities (which don't necessarily match the player) there are player characters of different ages too, so older companions are not automatically out of the question for romance options.

Two of my characters are about mid-50's and whatever the dunmer equivalent of that is, another 2 I've never really thought about their age but given their backstories they'd be mid-30's at least and whilst they'd all be open to adventuring alongside someone younger I don't think they'd want a relationship with a big age gap.

There seems to be an reoccuring assumption in this thread that for a companion to be a romance option they must be young (and conventionally attractive) and I think that's a mistake.

That is a very good point.

I actually don't mind that Azandar is older, although since my characters are all young they are naturally drawn to younger companions. It was the fatherly thing that bothers me most, and wondering just how eccentric he is. Would he be someone I could take seriously as a life partner?
    PCNA
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't stand Verandis, Jakarn or Fennorian, so I guess I'm happy.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    They are an Argonian Warden and an older Redguard Arcanist...

:/:'(

Yeah, I would prefer both female comps

Both of last year’s companions were female, so it’s good that we have variety in gender, race, and personality. But I do hope with others who posted here that we eventually get a handsome well-voiced well-written male Altmer companion like Verandis! Altmer in general are neglected — we STILL don’t have a single Altmer houseguest or assistant!

More females always good.
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Both of last year’s companions were female, so it’s good that we have variety in gender, race, and personality. But I do hope with others who posted here that we eventually get a handsome well-voiced well-written male Altmer companion like Verandis! Altmer in general are neglected — we STILL don’t have a single Altmer houseguest or assistant!

More males and females would be great.
    PCNA
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is to be more companions then the next set should be one male, one female as they were originally to keep things balanced. Though if we are to get another female companion I'd actually like to see more variation in the kind of female companion we get. The male companion roster is more varied now with there being an older companion as well as a younger one but we currently have nothing but young, girlish, women companions.

I'd like to see an older woman companion to balance things out. If age is no problem for our newest redguard companion, I cannot see it why it would be a problem for a woman who is older and still adventurous.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see an older woman companion to balance things out. If age is no problem for our newest redguard companion, I cannot see it why it would be a problem for a woman who is older and still adventurous.

An Argonian witch Necromancer could be an interesting character. An old, wise (but non- attractive) woman archetype could work quite well as a Companion.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on February 16, 2023 12:50PM
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since romance is on the way, I urge the writers and creaters to review the romanceable characters from the original Dragon Age: Morrigan, Alisdair, Leliana and Zevran were all exeptionally well done. Dialogue wise and personality wise they were each unique and fun, and received a lot of praise.

(Of course the best companion in Dragon Age was the loyal Mubari hound, but I don't want to turn this into another Androrix wants a dog companion thread....ooops, I just did!!)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Androrix wrote: »
    Since romance is on the way, I urge the writers and creaters to review the romanceable characters from the original Dragon Age: Morrigan, Alisdair, Leliana and Zevran were all exeptionally well done. Dialogue wise and personality wise they were each unique and fun, and received a lot of praise.

(Of course the best companion in Dragon Age was the loyal Mubari hound, but I don't want to turn this into another Androrix wants a dog companion thread....ooops, I just did!!)

I would love for my senche-raht to also be a companion — riding into battle and then finding at my side! It feels a bit bad that the senche-raht I’m with is the only one that has no words for me! And I’d love them to appear in our homes as house guests rather than mounts — or rather all mounts should be able to be houses without tackle.

I loved the companions in Dragon Age too, the sequels as well, on the whole DA3 more than DA2, although Fenris is my all time <3
  • ThelerisTelvanni
    ThelerisTelvanni
    ✭✭✭
    Well I had hoped for a Dunmer Telvanni mage cosidering we are going to Telvanni teretory. I don't care for the gender as long as the companion is fun to take along and useful in combat.

Yes red marked areas don't heal. An AI update might be nice.

On the other hand a sellsword companion that we can freely ajust to our needs, without any need for a personal questline and thing to like/dislike is something to solve the problem easy. Let us create them like our own charakters, choose there class and fraction. And tada we have a companion that is useful and fits the lore theme of our current character witout waiting forever for the perfect to come along.

That way I can have my Telvanni companion. And no Mirri is not fit for that role. She may be a Dunmer, but she complains about any bugs I get for alchemy and she is a Hlaalu on top! If I remember her personal quest correctly.

Adding an armory to companions, that also stores the needes gear, might be also very helpful. That way they can be useful for all characters without any struggel to get the gear and skills right every time.

On the visual side more outfit slots and at least cosmetical helmets are some things I'd like to have.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

An Argonian witch Necromancer could be an interesting character. An old, wise (but non- attractive) woman archetype could work quite well as a Companion.

This would be cool years down the line after we preferably (to me) get at least 1 companion of each race first.

I also personally want to see an altmer necromancer, man or woman, old or young, I don't care as long as they're an altmer necromancer. An old altmer necromancer lady would be so cool imo.

But I know an altmer man is super requested too
    Edited by emilyhyoyeon on February 16, 2023 4:21PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be cool years down the line after we preferably (to me) get at least 1 companion of each race first.

I also personally want to see an altmer necromancer, man or woman, old or young, I don't care as long as they're an altmer necromancer. An old altmer necromancer lady would be so cool imo.

But I know an altmer man is super requested too

I do get a strong feeling that many people seem to want a (youngish?) male altmer.

I do hope we will at least get one of each race as a companion, even if we have to repeat classes to do so. I don't think too many people would complain if we had to repeat classes, so long as we get variety (and at least one of each class/race).
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't pay attention to what their class is anyway. I just make one a tank and one dps and it seems to work out fine.
    PCNA
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more variety, the better, in my opinion.

I completely agree and these new companions would have been fine if we also had the types of male companions that many players described wanting in previous threads, too. But so far all the male choices are missing the mark.

I suspect part of the problem is that they actually think of Bastian as our handsome male choice. But most of the feedback shows that he is generally not perceived that way.

Except they are what many have requested. It may not be what you or some others have, but many have requested companions like them. ZOS did not miss the mark, they hit it for many but they can't please everyone with just two companions.

I don't remember seeing anyone ask for a lizard or an eccentric old fatherly type.

Out of 6 companions there is not one male choice that hits the marks for a lot of players, even though many examples were given.

And out of all the Females, none of them "hit the mark" for me either. Mirri's a Dunmer, Isobel's too young and naïve, and even though Ember comes SO close, she's a toothpick and they gave her those Dragon eyes that don't look natural. We're looking for perfection suited to our personal preference, how can you expect any Companion to hit our mark?

And I'm also asking for a "Lizard". They're called Argonians, btw. Saxhleel, people of the Hist.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    We're looking for perfection suited to our personal preference, how can you expect any Companion to hit our mark?

I don't expect a bulls eye (although I'd love that) but so far Azandar is the only one that even hits the target for me, as a romantic interest. Ember and Isobel are fine friends.
    Edited by SilverBride on February 16, 2023 6:59PM
    PCNA
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure at some point a customizable companion will hit the cash shop. 5k crowns maybe?
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip] What do you care?

[Edited for Inappropriate language]
    Edited by Psiion on February 16, 2023 10:22PM
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    The more variety, the better, in my opinion.

I completely agree and these new companions would have been fine if we also had the types of male companions that many players described wanting in previous threads, too. But so far all the male choices are missing the mark.

I suspect part of the problem is that they actually think of Bastian as our handsome male choice. But most of the feedback shows that he is generally not perceived that way.

Except they are what many have requested. It may not be what you or some others have, but many have requested companions like them. ZOS did not miss the mark, they hit it for many but they can't please everyone with just two companions.

Ember comes SO close, she's a toothpick and they gave her those Dragon eyes that don't look natural.

I know! Why did they do that I wonder???
  • Rhaena
    Rhaena
    ✭✭
    I would love to be able to do some basic customization with our companions using the collections systems, such as hairstyles.

I am happy they're evening out the male/female ratio.

As for romance, I think they should add it because it's such a story driven game and it would fit really well but if they add romance I hope it adds something to the companion experience such as new quests and different/additional banter while running around the world, they could add a platonic/friend alternative too. Some people don't want it, so it should certainly be optional but romance with companions in games like this usually are.
    Edited by Rhaena on April 12, 2023 3:49AM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaena wrote: »
    I would love to be able to do some basic customization with our companions using the collections systems, such as hairstyles.

I am happy they're evening out the male/female ratio.

As for romance, I think they should add it because it's such a story driven game and it would fit really well but if they add romance I hope it adds something to the companion experience such as new quests and different/additional banter while running around the world, they could add a platonic/friend alternative too. Some people don't want it, so it should certainly be optional but romance with companions in games like this usually are.

On the plus side, if they added a romance option, that means they'd probably have to go back to our older companions and update them- which might mean some added dialogue to make them more like the current gen of companions.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The upcoming companions are of little or no interest to me unfortunately. While I enjoy the companion system and like that we finally get more male companions, they are both far from anyone I'd travel with.
    Had their races been reversed (i.e. Redguard as Warden) it wouldn't be much an issue, as I've waited for a male warden companion. But unfortunately they decided to have the warden as an Argonian, a race I utterly despise as player.

So I guess I`ll be stuck with Bastian, Mirri and Isobel for another year. I might consider using Ember, but only if we get the ability to change our companion's hairstyle (sorry, but I can't stand Ember's hairstyle. At all.).

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • isadoraisacat
      isadoraisacat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Ember is the ultimate follower for my main which is a Khajiit she’s like a mischievous little sister. I doubt I will even bother with many other companions unless I make another alt.
    • Ragnarok0130
      Ragnarok0130
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Cryptor wrote: »

I am sorry, I don't get it. What is the problem?

The problem is that the 3 male companions that we now have are not the types a lot of us would choose to be by our side.

I have to agree. I’d love a confident warrior like Titus Valerius from Craglorn for a male companion.
    • JMadFour
      JMadFour
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Personally I want more companions who don't care about me using the Blade of Woe and likes Vampires/Werewolves.

I don't care if they're attractive or not.
      Edited by JMadFour on April 12, 2023 1:11PM