The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are you happy with the DLC as event reward at 100%?

• boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I find it kind of weird that people seem to be arguing that the dlc access of plus is some kind of bonus not one of the main draws of having eso plus which it definitely is.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    The craft bag is different because it's ESO+ exclusive. I'd cancel my sub and never look back if they gave it away, not because I love it so much or would be mad (actually I'd be happy) because then the exclusive perk to ESO+ would be gone.

DLC access and crowns are sold separately and I can buy those separately.

The exclusive perks are what makes ESO+ different to just buying stuff from the crown store.

Permanent unlock of dlc, on the other hand, does not come with ESO+. It's something even as a plus member, you have to pay crowns to do.

The only other equivalent is if they gave out 2k crowns, because crowns come with plus and are sold separately.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 5, 2022 9:21PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    What do you suggest the reward should have been?

Something other than an ESO+ perk.

Need specific suggestions.

No we don't. We are saying that giving away one of our ESO+ perks as the yearly reward is not acceptable for the reasons that many have stated. It does not require a list of other options to validate that this particular option is not acceptable.

Read trough whole post before replying please. Thank you.
    I already said that eso+ still have their perk with current reward. They don't need a prequisute of owning high isle to have instant access to firesong.

Calling it a yearly reward is hilarious considering the only thing you needed to complete the event is owning high isle. In fact if we are going to be really nitpicky here then it's not even an event reward as you do not have to participate in the event to get the rewards.

Yearly rewards are with event tickets so maybe you should take up your energy there. You expressed your dissapoitment that they have been shafting you for 2 years in a row now and you did not get a house. I do think that I should remind you that we actually got a doomchar last year which in fact was a yearly reward. Maybe you are just confused or I'm getting too stuck on terminology.

To conclude the things I will say again. DLC is not eso+ exclusive perk. They did not give nonsubs double furnishing limit, exp boost or a craftbag. Should Zos also stop giving complimentary crowns for new users because eso+ gives monthly crowns?
    [snip]

Edited for baiting

Good points.

Heck, as an ESO+ player I do have yet to see a point that is something I should be upset about. If anything, I am not out anything due to this reward and it is far from the biggest thing I am interested in when it comes to paying for a subscription here.

I respect that some players are upset about this, but it seems that there is no respect for people who have a different point of view on the subject. As such we are just churning the same discussion over and over in this thread with different twists.

Zenimax said they will take this discussion into consideration which may lead to changes going forward. However, this thread will not change that everyone will have full access to this next DLC regardless of their sub status.
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    The craft bag is different because it's ESO+ exclusive. I'd cancel my sub and never look back if they gave it away, not because I love it so much or would be mad (actually I'd be happy) because then the exclusive perk to ESO+ would be gone.

The exclusive perks are what makes ESO+ different to just buying stuff from the crown store.

Permanent unlock of dlc, on the other hand, does not come with ESO+. It's something even as a plus member, you have to pay crowns to do.

The only other equivalent is if they gave out 2k crowns, because crowns come with plus and are sold separately.

This is another excellent point.

Edited by Amottica on October 5, 2022 9:22PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay

ALL the perks are what makes ESO+ worth it to me. I don't care if DLCs can be purchased separately, that doesn't take away that it is one of the perks of subscribing and part of the complete package that I pay for. I don't get a refund for "renting" the DLC that is now given for free and am still paying for that right every month.

It was a very bad decision to give away a DLC last year and a worst decision to do it again a second time in a row.
    PCNA
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a few posts, we would like to ask that members please keep posts constructive, and on topic. Posts that do not contribute to the thread are considered Spam, which is against the Community Guidelines, and is stated as follows:
    • Spamming: Please do not post spam on the official The Elder Scrolls Online forums. Below are a few examples of what we define as spamming:
      • Posting the same message more than once
      • Posting messages that are nonsensical or have no real content
      • Posting messages or images large enough to disrupt the normal flow of conversation
      • Reposting material that has been removed by a member of the ESO Team
        Also, please refrain from posting the same topic in multiple areas of the forum, or cross-posting in an attempt to gain further views or replies. This is considered spamming, and the duplicate threads will be removed.
    If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nay

I wouldn’t say 2k crowns is equivalent because there is no cap on the amount of crowns you can have. If you have 2k, you can be given 2k more.

However, DLC can only be owned once. ESO+ used to include ALL dlc releases at the time of release. Then they started calling some DLCs chapters and removed them from the pool (to be added later if you want to wait a whole year and get the content piecemeal since they pull out some stuff, like classes sold separately). They did add 150 crowns per month as a consolation prize when they reevaluated the value.

Now, they’re removing the ESO+ access to Q4 DLC, so long as you have the previous chapter and claim the event reward. Getting Firesong for free means you don’t get it as part of your sub since it’s one unique thing to access one way (access by paying crowns or paying for sub, or now as an event reward). You don’t get two Firesongs.

With that in mind, ESO+ members who play regularly, purchase chapters, and don’t purchase DLC separately are really only getting DLC dungeons as their subscription access to DLC content these past 2 years (and Summerset year due to Murkmire). In that sense, subscribers are getting less for their monthly subscription. Maybe it’s time for ZoS to reevaluate the cost or perks again.

Free DLC is great for those who benefit from it. Not everyone does though. Therefore, I do think a more thoughtful prize that took into account the varying community would have been more appropriate.

PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yay
    I liked free DLC as previous year's reward (when I was subscribed), and it made me purchase the chapter during that event.

I like free DLC reward this year too :) Especially at 50% off (usually discount is less during these events), this combination instantly made me purchase the current chapter. If the ultimate reward was not DLC, but something cosmetic/some house (and not good enough for my taste), I might still wait with chapter the purchase.

Story DLCs are very valuable for me, and even though I used to be non-stop subscriber in previous years, I was purchasing every story DLC anyway.
    I purchase dungeon DLCs as well, but only at 50% discount, or as part of Collector's Edition if I really like the mount :D

Honestly, I didn't believe we would get free DLC this year too - it seemed to good to be true again. So I've been excited with the news, and I am very grateful for any free DLCs <3
  • TheGent
    TheGent
    ✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    Are you?

huh? whats this? if you win u get High Isle for free?
    ESO: @The.Gent
    I really need a questing friend. Playing solo is lonely and boring (i am in multiple guilds too)

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    heaven13 wrote: »

I wouldn’t say 2k crowns is equivalent because there is no cap on the amount of crowns you can have. If you have 2k, you can be given 2k more.

2k crowns is equivalent because it's how much Firesong will cost. If they had given out 2k crowns, people who wanted to use it on Firesong could have. And those who had no need of Firesong could have bought something else.
    However, DLC can only be owned once.

The ESO+ access to Firesong is not permanent access. In order to get the access you're getting now, even with ESO+, you have to pay 2k crowns. It's like if you got to check out some movie every week as part of your paid access to a movie club at a movie store. And the shop owner decided to give it out to everyone who walked through the door for free, including you. Yeah you get to keep it even if you stop being part of movie club, but it's not increasing your viewership of the movie because you could already watch it all you want. Unless, of course you had to move or something. Then you might be glad you had the movie as your very own. And then you'd be appreciative of the difference of checking it out from the movie store and owning it.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 5, 2022 11:18PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    ESO+ aren't getting anything they don't already have access to.

Even ESO Plus members get something out of this deal. They just might not realize the value immediately. Once they finally end their servitude to the ESO Plus overlords :smile: , they will still have access to whatever DLC content they purchased, or were awarded.
    I am also not going to unsubscribe and lose all the perks that I do not want to play the game without. These are valuable to me and I won't make my gaming experience negative by giving them up...

People say that now. I said things like that, as well. I have not subscribed to ESO Plus in months, and while my DLC options are more limited, the game is big enough that I don't care. The crafting bag is nice, but I dealt with that quite easily before it was an ESO Plus perk, and I found that I still can. Sure, I might go back and subscribe, but right now I am not thinking of any reasons why I would want to.

Edited by Elsonso on October 6, 2022 12:18AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Elsonso wrote: »

Even ESO Plus members get something out of this deal. They just might not realize the value immediately. Once they finally end their servitude to the ESO Plus overlords :smile: , they will still have access to whatever DLC content they purchased, or were awarded.

(How many pages in are we in?. And how many times has this nonsensical argument been made? This is what's driving me nuts.)

So you are confirming that loyal eso+ subscribers get nothing from owning the dlc. Fantastic.

How is this simple fact such a hard thing for people to understand?

I mean seriously. A loyal eso+ subscriber is getting NOTHING from owning the dlc. You are saying it yourself.

Let me ask the forums this;

If I have a subscription to eso+. And I will always will have an eso+ subscription. What am I getting by owning the dlc?

Don't give me a "If/Then, in the future" argument. Right now. an eso+ subscriber, someone who is loyally giving zos there money for a subscription, what are they getting?
    The sad truth is:
    They get a pet. While everyone else is getting a dlc that is worth at least double that amount in crowns.

And as an aside, I find it kind of hilarious that they are giving me yet another pet, to add to my 240+ pet collection, in the dlc that allows players to hide other players pets. That is how much pets are valued in this game.

This gift (award, prize, offer, whatever) is NOT a gift to the people who loyally give money for eso+. How is this a foreign concept?
    Edited by BlueRaven on October 6, 2022 2:26AM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    I'll take it over a pet or mount. And I am someone who usually plays with ESO+. No value really in more cosmetics.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on October 6, 2022 3:13AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I am also not going to unsubscribe and lose all the perks that I do not want to play the game without. These are valuable to me and I won't make my gaming experience negative by giving them up.

People say that now.

People say a lot of things but that is them, not me. When I say I am not going to play without a sub that means I am not going to play without a sub. I would not enjoy the game without these perks and I will not unsubscribe as long as I am still playing this game.
    PCNA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I am also not going to unsubscribe and lose all the perks that I do not want to play the game without. These are valuable to me and I won't make my gaming experience negative by giving them up...

People say that now. I said things like that, as well. I have not subscribed to ESO Plus in months, and while my DLC options are more limited, the game is big enough that I don't care. The crafting bag is nice, but I dealt with that quite easily before it was an ESO Plus perk, and I found that I still can. Sure, I might go back and subscribe, but right now I am not thinking of any reasons why I would want to.

And well, no one is really losing anything with this. I do respect that some have or will have the perception of losing something but ESO+ will still have access to everything they are paying to access. Granted, perception is important but there is no actual loss.

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Something else
    I am also not going to unsubscribe and lose all the perks that I do not want to play the game without. These are valuable to me and I won't make my gaming experience negative by giving them up.

People say that now.

People say a lot of things but that is them, not me. When I say I am not going to play without a sub that means I am not going to play without a sub. I would not enjoy the game without these perks and I will not unsubscribe as long as I am still playing this game.

I get and understand your position. Buy in the end all I can say is that if you keep being willing to pay full price for chapters on Luanch and pay for eso + so long ad you play. Then all zos needs to do is not make you upset enough to quit the game. They don't need to sell you anything at all because you are sold already.

To be quite honest almost 90% of the stuff they say they are giving us is just going to be account clutter for me. The dlc? The more I think about it the less I care. I mean it's going to be a pain just to find on the map.(literally)

As far as the rest of the rewards and stuff zos just cares about getting those last sales before the end off the year so they can boost #'s. That's all this is.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Something else
    BlueRaven wrote: »

(How many pages in are we in?. And how many times has this nonsensical argument been made? This is what's driving me nuts.)

So you are confirming that loyal eso+ subscribers get nothing from owning the dlc. Fantastic.

How is this simple fact such a hard thing for people to understand?

I mean seriously. A loyal eso+ subscriber is getting NOTHING from owning the dlc. You are saying it yourself.

Let me ask the forums this;

If I have a subscription to eso+. And I will always will have an eso+ subscription. What am I getting by owning the dlc?

Don't give me a "If/Then, in the future" argument. Right now. an eso+ subscriber, someone who is loyally giving zos there money for a subscription, what are they getting?
    The sad truth is:
    They get a pet. While everyone else is getting a dlc that is worth at least double that amount in crowns.

And as an aside, I find it kind of hilarious that they are giving me yet another pet, to add to my 240+ pet collection, in the dlc that allows players to hide other players pets. That is how much pets are valued in this game.

This gift (award, prize, offer, whatever) is NOT a gift to the people who loyally give money for eso+. How is this a foreign concept?

I mean that's it really. Zos knows your loyalty to eso+ out weighs your outrage. They take eso+ members for granted banking on the benefits of eso+ on game play being greater than your outrage.

ZOS has your money already. Promotions like this are actually targeted to new players and players that don't own the latest chapter. It's about boosting sales.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    The fact that this thread is still going and has so much traction shows this is a bad idea as it polarises the community way more than say giving a house. It takes away the feeling of a reward and makes people debate whether they feel “cheated” or feel like they are losing out.

This is why Zos shouldn’t be doing it. If they want to give the dlc for free, which is what they are doing, since the event is guaranteed to be completed. Then just either add it to daily log in like murkmire or give everyone it for free and if your eso+ give them 2k crowns. It’s not like that costs zos anything and at least shows they thought of subscribers.

These events should reward items not included in the subscription to avoid this issue. It won’t stop people saying “I don’t care about housing” for example if that’s the reward but it’s free stuff so harder to complain or justify compared to getting something for free that you get anyways because you pay.

That’s clearly going to cause people to feel more annoyed and understandably so.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yay

However, DLC can only be owned once. ESO+ used to include ALL dlc releases at the time of release. Then they started calling some DLCs chapters and removed them from the pool (to be added later if you want to wait a whole year and get the content piecemeal since they pull out some stuff, like classes sold separately). They did add 150 crowns per month as a consolation prize when they reevaluated the value.

Now, they’re removing the ESO+ access to Q4 DLC, so long as you have the previous chapter and claim the event reward. Getting Firesong for free means you don’t get it as part of your sub since it’s one unique thing to access one way (access by paying crowns or paying for sub, or now as an event reward). You don’t get two Firesongs.

With that in mind, ESO+ members who play regularly, purchase chapters, and don’t purchase DLC separately are really only getting DLC dungeons as their subscription access to DLC content these past 2 years (and Summerset year due to Murkmire). In that sense, subscribers are getting less for their monthly subscription. Maybe it’s time for ZoS to reevaluate the cost or perks again.

Free DLC is great for those who benefit from it. Not everyone does though. Therefore, I do think a more thoughtful prize that took into account the varying community would have been more appropriate.

Well no, not really. You didn't lose anything really, you still have access to all the dlcs. By the logic of counting value like that you can say that every year you get more for your money since the price for ESO+ doesn't change, but you get more and more dlcs, 3 a year (or 2 if you don't want to count ones that are given for free to a certain group of people in a certain time frame). Someone else having an access to one dlc by different means doesn't change that. Were you this upset when they made Imperial City free for everyone?
    Edited by Michae on October 6, 2022 7:43AM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Michae wrote: »

Well no, not really. You didn't lose anything really, you still have access to all the dlcs. By the logic of counting value like that you can say that every year you get more for your money since the price for ESO+ doesn't change, but you get more and more dlcs, 3 a year (or 2 if you don't want to count ones that are given for free to a certain group of people in a certain time frame). Someone else having an access to one dlc by different means doesn't change that. Were you this upset when they made Imperial City free for everyone?

Comparing a new dlc being given as a community reward for completion of something versus giving people access to a 3 or 4 year old dlc content isn’t really the same thing.

For me it’s not about losing anything it’s about the sense of reward for this and it’s not there for this. I don’t mind people getting it, but I don’t agree it was the best type of reward they should’ve done and ultimately it’s caused unnecessary annoyance within the community for something that didn’t need to happen.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Michae wrote: »

Comparing a new dlc being given as a community reward for completion of something versus giving people access to a 3 or 4 year old dlc content isn’t really the same thing.

For me it’s not about losing anything it’s about the sense of reward for this and it’s not there for this. I don’t mind people getting it, but I don’t agree it was the best type of reward they should’ve done and ultimately it’s caused unnecessary annoyance within the community for something that didn’t need to happen.

Yeah, I agree here. As I said above, “ Free DLC is great for those who benefit from it. Not everyone does though. Therefore, I do think a more thoughtful prize that took into account the varying community would have been more appropriate.” Never did I say I was upset, nor am I. I just think ZoS could have, and has in the past, done better where everyone felt rewarded without this unnecessary split.

PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Amottica wrote: »
    And well, no one is really losing anything with this. I do respect that some have or will have the perception of losing something but ESO+ will still have access to everything they are paying to access. Granted, perception is important but there is no actual loss.

I agree. I don't feel I've lost anything. I'll still have access to the DLC. I object to ZOS giving away for free what I pay for as part of my subscription package, without compensating me in some meaningful way (a pet doesn't cover it).
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    I mean that's it really. Zos knows your loyalty to eso+ out weighs your outrage. They take eso+ members for granted banking on the benefits of eso+ on game play being greater than your outrage.

Yep. They definitely take ESO+ subscribers for granted. They know players will complain on the forums but keep giving them money. For now, I'm one of those players. But this has left a bad taste in my mouth and left me wondering if I could do without the craft bag, something that hadn't even crossed my mind before. So who knows? If I'm still around this time next year when they give away the DLC again, maybe I'll be one of those non-ESO+ subscribers getting something for free that other schmucks players pay for.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I agree. I don't feel I've lost anything. I'll still have access to the DLC. I object to ZOS giving away for free what I pay for as part of my subscription package, without compensating me in some meaningful way (a pet doesn't cover it).

Agreed. Why not give us a house that's the equivalent in price to the DLC? Or something else equivalent?

Although I guess you could argue that because the DLC is free it has no price.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    People keep saying it doesn't benefit the player base, but this entire event only caters to the player base that bought High Isle. Having a reward that gives dlc free for something we paid for out of pocket is fine.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something else
    Katheriah wrote: »
    Are you?

After taking Statistics, 100% is a really hard number to achieve. There will always be outliers that cause your total to be less than 100%. I would have gone with more than 95%, but it seems like a lawyer could argue this would be the reason why people didn't get the DLC. I am not saying ZOS would do that (and I am sure even if we get close enough we'd get it because they're cool like that), I am just saying that statistically, achieving 100% of something is almost always very difficult to achieve.

Edit: so my issue is more of the terminology being used rather than the DLC. I think it's great to give people free stuff. Shows them you care.
    Edited by moleculardrugs on October 6, 2022 6:11PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I think it's great to give people free stuff.

So do I, as long as the free stuff isn't part of a package of perks that I pay for. Giving a reskinned pet as compensation does not make it ok to do this again a second year in a row.

And why would they even offer anything if they didn't agree that subscribers were getting left out?
    Edited by SilverBride on October 6, 2022 7:18PM
    PCNA
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Malthorne wrote: »
    I just bought high isle because of this promotion and 50% off sale. Did the same for Blackwood to get the free Deadlands dlc last year. If the reward were a house or mount I probably wouldn’t have bothered with this years chapter at all to be honest.

And THIS is the reason they selected the Q4 DLC as the 100% prize.

It was never about community involvement.
    It was never a contest.
    It was always a marketing tactic to increase sales.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I just bought high isle because of this promotion and 50% off sale. Did the same for Blackwood to get the free Deadlands dlc last year. If the reward were a house or mount I probably wouldn’t have bothered with this years chapter at all to be honest.

It was never a contest.

Correct. This has always been a promotional tactic to sell the chapter, and @Malthorne, whom you quoted, proves that is correct.

While these fall-time promotions for the chapter have been going on since before I started playing ESO it seems all have been 100% successful. I think that is just a ploy and were always guaranteed to be successful regardless of the participation rate. It would be bad business if we did not hit 100%.

The key question becomes, does giving away the 4Q DLC increase the chapter sales more than giving away a home? That is what will drive continuing to give away the 4Q DLC more than anything said in this thread.

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else

It was never a contest.

Correct. This has always been a promotional tactic to sell the chapter, and @Malthorne, whom you quoted, proves that is correct.

While these fall-time promotions for the chapter have been going on since before I started playing ESO it seems all have been 100% successful. I think that is just a ploy and were always guaranteed to be successful regardless of the participation rate. It would be bad business if we did not hit 100%.

The key question becomes, does giving away the 4Q DLC increase the chapter sales more than giving away a home? That is what will drive continuing to give away the 4Q DLC more than anything said in this thread.

I'm not disturbed about the Q4 DLC, but I definitely would rather have a home in High Isle - especially if it could be Erlibru's Cottage or Tor Draioch tower made into player housing. The ONLY reason I bought Greymoor was because of the event where you could get the Antiquarian Gallery. If not for the house, I wouldn't own Greymoor to this day.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay

It must. i doubt it it would have been repeated two years in a row otherwise. Perhaps both the Blackwood and High Isle chapters did poorly compared to annual sales projections. Perhaps the “free DLC (if you own the chapter you haven’t purchased yet)” marketing technique provided enough profit last year to justify repeating it this year.

Personally, I am a bit disappointed in the “prize” (and somewhat irritated by the token salamander). That said, I selfishly want the game to be profitable enough to continue, so if this particular technique provides that, then so be it.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    TaSheen wrote: »

It was never a contest.

I'm not disturbed about the Q4 DLC, but I definitely would rather have a home in High Isle - especially if it could be Erlibru's Cottage or Tor Draioch tower made into player housing. The ONLY reason I bought Greymoor was because of the event where you could get the Antiquarian Gallery. If not for the house, I wouldn't own Greymoor to this day.

I think this is part of the issue. ZOS has devalued non-combat pets by giving them away so often. A non-combat pet as a prize doesn't feel special anymore in the way that a house or a mount does, which is why I think so many suggestions keep circling back to these two items. Non-combat pet might be a similar prize in terms of crown pricing (they are in the same ballpark as a dlc) but the perception of them as a prize has cheapened them.

I would bet that not only would certain plus members mostly feel more appreciated if they had received one of these, but they'd have sold more plus memberships if the prize was considered cool. They also might have made more people angry that a cool prize was double paygated too though.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 6, 2022 9:19PM