The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Accounts being suspended over appropriate names

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthtur wrote: »
    "Technically" bannable offense...
    So i checked on YT why that person was banned... sigh...
    If i get it right - Banned person had warnings before (most likely because of PvP) and now somebody reported him for "bad" name ("technically" bannable offense) so he got perma banned as it was his X time breaking the ToS.
    Well i will leave this without a comment...

If this is the case I still disagree that something that happened years ago should be counted against the player as though it was a new offense.

It happened years ago, it wasn't caught when it happened, nothing was done about it when it happened, it shouldn't even be considered for action now.
    PCNA
  • ErinGoBrag520
    ErinGoBrag520
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't the game just block the names we aren't supposed to use? Just like the "name already in use" block. That way I would not be able to name my character Lola Tharn or Donna Fyr or something like that because I've made up a backstory for my character that involved those families. Or names of places?
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why doesn't the game just block the names we aren't supposed to use? Just like the "name already in use" block. That way I would not be able to name my character Lola Tharn or Donna Fyr or something like that because I've made up a backstory for my character that involved those families. Or names of places?

Because of the Scunthorpe problem. Just look at the in-game profanity filter for examples of how badly it can fail. Such as "whisper me" getting slapped with the filter because a combination of the letters is also the name for a cell in the human body.
  • skyrimfantasy
    skyrimfantasy
    ✭✭✭
    RIP
    Hey all, while we're not able to get into the specifics of this particular ban, we can clarify that names of in-game item sets, locations, major NPCs, bosses, etc are technically against the TOS (outlined in section 6.1).

I'm sorry but this just makes me salty. I guess if this the route they've decided to take then several more of my characters will probably get nixed at some point, probably leading to a ban cuz too many name changes were required, my guild members would love to lose their hall. How about a new feature idea for next years chapter - let the game name your characters with random letter/number combinations, is that safe enough?
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was force name changed and warned because my character was named "Mia Healifa" and It wasn't ok. Apparently I was impersonating someone with a pun name.
    uwu
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Just did a quick scan of this thread and do not see any screen shot of an email from Zenimax concerning the ban so we don’t know any of the details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK9arPE_1NE

That's what I could find on my own. Though I am not sure what their source is for the screencap, this seems similar to another incident where player(s) were banned unfairly (the TTV / YT thing)

I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    deflorate wrote: »
    I was force name changed and warned because my character was named "Mia Healifa" and It wasn't ok. Apparently I was impersonating someone with a pun name.

@deflorate

The google search for that name is somewhat interesting and may shine a light on why Zenimax required the name change. I just searched for "Healifa" and it returned the full name you mentioned. Probably just a coincidence.

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hamfast wrote: »
    On a similar note, why are the names of characters being examined?

Generally (speaking from experience on the forums of other MMOs in the past), they don't just go around looking at names. Something else has to bring their attention to it (another player reporting it, some other offense that brought the character to their attention, etc.)
  • jmaes
    jmaes
    ✭✭
    Abelon wrote: »

All this said I think it prudent to point out that I have interacted with the player whose account is the subject of this forum thread. I personally dislike them greatly, and think they have a tendency to behave in a toxic way that is bad for the community.

So basically we are right, and this person got banned for their toxic behaviour and not a name. Case solved, everyone, pack your things.

... So instead your resolution is to reaffirm your own unfounded opinion as fact? :/
    Jazraena wrote: »
    We're not getting the full story, simple as that.

I'm beginning to think that, too. Another player posted this which indicates that more than one reason was given for the ban.

React wrote: »
    I read through the email this player received and the reasons cited are completely invalid, as there was zero breach of TOS whatsoever.

The multiple reasons were the sections cited in the email - sections 2.1 to 2.5. None of the player's names in question were hateful or malicious, satirized certain real-world people(s), or phonetic workarounds to mask hateful words/messages.
  • ErinGoBrag520
    ErinGoBrag520
    ✭✭✭

Because of the Scunthorpe problem. Just look at the in-game profanity filter for examples of how badly it can fail. Such as "whisper me" getting slapped with the filter because a combination of the letters is also the name for a cell in the human body.

There are some pretty straight forward names though. Character names fort the game, straight up... I'm not talking about people putting extra letters around them to obscure them, I'm talking about simply Simon Fyr. game name accepter can't find "_fyr"?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey all, we'd like to provide some clarification here based on what was said earlier.

First, we typically don't ban an account for a bad character name if there is no other TOS history on the account. We will simply just have you change the name. Now, if there is an extensive TOS history, there may be situations where your account could be suspended or banned for a character name that breaks the TOS.

We also want to clarify that using Tamrielic house names or other lore-friendly names is fine and isn't breaking the TOS. What we don't allow is using the proper name of major characters, bosses, etc. For example, you can't name your character Abnur Tharn but you could name a character Gina Tharn.

Hope this helps, but please let us know if you would like additional clarification!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope this helps, but please let us know if you would like additional clarification!

What if it is a character whose name coincides with a minor NPC?

My character Jiren-dar, for instance, was created around Summerset to experience that chapter's introduction. His name is Khajiit, but is also inspired by the Dragon Ball Super character Jiren. Having nerd references in my character names is a must.

An NPC named Jiren-dar appears in Dragonhold, a year and a half later.

• NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My character Jiren-dar, for instance, was created around Summerset to experience that chapter's introduction. His name is Khajiit, but is also inspired by the Dragon Ball Super character Jiren. Having nerd references in my character names is a must.

That's a great question, I'd hope they'd give you an opportunity to change it free of cost, as it is not your fault.
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • mekops_ESO
    mekops_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sort of wondering what players with names that derive from the game should DO about it at this point if anything. Are they to change names?

Thus far, my character Inferno Staff of Medusa has done nothing but bring joy and mirth into the world. It would be a shame if I had to change it because of some fine print. All I am saying is let us know. Not everyone is up to trouble. I will change it in a heartbeat over a ban, which would bring an unnecessary and abrupt halt to the inordinate amount of money I spend here, and senselessly at that.

Nobody wants that.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I created a character named Chalor Storm-hawk in the Elsweyr chapter. Then when Western Skyrim released, across the river from Solitude there was a POI named Storm-hawk's Altar. I put in a ticket to ask if it was okay if I kept the character name since I had it first - the rep seemed confused about why I would need to ask.

Eventually I race changed him, made a "fake Maormer" out of him and renamed him, so now of course it's not a problem.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey all, we'd like to provide some clarification here based on what was said earlier.

First, we typically don't ban an account for a bad character name if there is no other TOS history on the account. We will simply just have you change the name. Now, if there is an extensive TOS history, there may be situations where your account could be suspended or banned for a character name that breaks the TOS.

We also want to clarify that using Tamrielic house names or other lore-friendly names is fine and isn't breaking the TOS. What we don't allow is using the proper name of major characters, bosses, etc. For example, you can't name your character Abnur Tharn but you could name a character Gina Tharn.

So we're just supposed to guess which characters are "major" or copyrighted? That's not fair.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭

That's a great question, I'd hope they'd give you an opportunity to change it free of cost, as it is not your fault.

I hope they let them keep the name since it's not a major character.
    Tam! RUGH!
  • LeBrenn
    LeBrenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's a relief. Banning Gina Tharn would be very silly.

Thanks for the clarification, @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • TPishek
    TPishek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank goodness I am safe
    axqkfbtic933.png
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was fast... lol

But honestly even if a character were named something similar to Abnur Tharn I can't see the harm in it. I've seen people craft characters that look like the spitting image of Razum-dar or Sheogorath, and there are a number of players that I've seen with names in tribute to those characters and more. Sometimes a character name has a different etymology from its likeness. My character Sorlia has a name similar to the Skyrim character Sorli the Builder. But Sorlia is named after one of my original characters.

It is honestly my view that if it harms none, it does not violate anything. So even if someone made a character named Abnur Tharn or an Argonian named Tharns-Abnurally - no harm done.

It certainly should NOT be the trigger for a ban, regardless of how many TOS violations are on the account. Names that are obviously intended to offend or provoke are an exception. But "Abnur Tharn", "Cloudrest" or "Lady Clarisse Laurent"? No.

And I intend on keeping Jiren-dar.

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for posting this, as this takes away most of my worries.

PS: (fun braintease for the ZOS lawyers) : Aren't our accounts technically all still owned by ZOS, as per the ToS?... Which would technically mean we could use major lore names and boss names, as ZOS the accountholder, holds the (copy)rights to those names. Hehe. :naughty:
    Edited by Sarannah on June 20, 2022 9:39PM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, but why can I not call my character Abnur Tharn? What harm is there in that? As far as I understand it you cannot sell merch of your ingame character anyway so there is no risk of people doing that even if their character is named after an NPC. If you want us to take the code of conduct literally as opposed to adhering to the spirit of the law, then you might as well shut down the lore section of the forum right now. The code of conduct explicitly prohibits players from "posting content which is not wholy owned by the account user" and none of us own the copyright or a licence to any of the ingame books we are discussing over there. If that's not allowed there is practically no reason to have a lore section at all. Or a roleplay section.

Edit: Basically, it's my implicit understanding that the use of copyright protected works that are part of the Elder Scrolls IP can be used both here on the forums and ingame, which would also include names of major characters, and only the use of 3rd party copyright and things that would replace the original work (like uploading the official Elder Scrolls novels in their entirety) are prohibited.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on June 20, 2022 9:49PM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Xinihp
    Xinihp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I saw "Inferno Staff of Medusa" running around in my dungeon group a few months back. :p
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one fears she may soon be meeting many more members of the Tharn family in Tamriel.

Most notably Gina, Geena, Jina, Jeyna, Giyna, Jeenah and Jaynah Tharn.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't read the whole thread (sorry, it just got too big, and I've been sleeping, it's only 7:40am here), but I'd just like to comment on 1 thing: if there is some kind of auto-banning system installed, it should be modified to simply flag accounts and forward them to real-life people for review. Then those people can do a final check and (hopefully) not ban perfectly reasonable account names.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Sallymen
    Sallymen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember this last year. If I can recall it didn't actually give you duped crowns it was a visual glitch. Seems more like a *** joke than anything. Regardless, *** said in discord =/= breaking ToS ingame.
    Current Undaunted Key Count: 4,902
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, while we're not able to get into the specifics of this particular ban, we can clarify that names of in-game item sets, locations, major NPCs, bosses, etc are technically against the TOS (outlined in section 6.1).

Well. That's awkward.

I remember that when ZOS made major changes to racial passive, the Devs gave out three free race and name change tokens following feedback from roleplayers that it was important to have race-appropriate names that helped us situate our characters in the world of The Elder Scrolls. A number of races use location-based names, repeated surnames, and even repeated first names. (For example, the NPC Teldundindo of Sunhold is adamant about the "of Sunhold" part because there were five other Teldundindo's in his class.)

When I look to roleplay a character, I try to situate them in the world of Tamriel, which typically means looking at Tamrielic names for inspiration or tying them to a pre-existing family in the lore.

So, as a roleplayer, I should like to see a more comprehensive explanation of how this rule is applied.

Signed, the Dunmer lady named after a region in Stonefalls and an NPC family from TES V's Dragonborn DLC

(Edited: I see that between the time I started typing and the time I posted, the matter has been clarified. Varanis Arano is much relieved.)
    Edited by VaranisArano on June 20, 2022 9:49PM
  • mekops_ESO
    mekops_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Xinihp wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I saw "Inferno Staff of Medusa" running around in my dungeon group a few months back. :p

already outed myself 1 or 2 pages back m8 lol
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VaranisArano - please see post #164 on page 6 for more from Gina.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    VaranisArano - please see post #164 on page 6 for more from Gina.

Just saw it and edited accordingly! Thanks!
    Edited by VaranisArano on June 20, 2022 9:50PM
This discussion has been closed.