The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you like having surprise in-game events?

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Hi All,

Now that we are over the 24 hour mark for the surprise Explorer's Celebration being live, we wanted to follow up and ask for your thoughts on surprise events in-general. Do you like having surprise in-game events?

We've seen some chatter around this already and wanted to make a formal call for feedback. This will help for future consideration when planning potential surprise in-game events for the playerbase. Also please feel free to leave any comments explaining your choice. Thanks so much.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on April 13, 2022 5:03PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter

Do you like having surprise in-game events? 733 votes

Yes
61%
KowalzkyMaddjujuchuck-18_ESODeathStalkervailjohn_ESOtheboz1419_ESODean340chessalavakia_ESODioraPinesySASChrisqwjr8989_ESOaveryfarmanb14_ESOJarndyceGedericGlassHalfFullhaploeb14_ESOAwesomestMattPhotosniper89sylvieanne 452 votes
No
38%
saf227_ESOdriosketchMagenpieJofishBootstompsilvereyesKikazaruk9mouseNeeScrollsLostarGalentohopka_esoBelegnoleEpiphanyThorntongueDurnikKorinthkendellking_chaosb14_ESOMarginisopaj 281 votes
Staff Post
  • Onomog
    Onomog
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I prefer to have advance notice so I can plan appropriately.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Love them! Especially this kind with double stuff.
    Options
  • duagloth
    duagloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    although i did enjoy an impromptu duel with a dev one time.
    Options
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    It is better when there is communication in advance. It would be nice with all events if there was more notice as to when they would occur, instead of the forum posts guessing as to when they will start.
    Options
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yep! I prefer the more formal events to have advance notice but impromptu stuff like the current event is a nice surprise.
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    These need 'sensable' advance warning so that groups can plan around them
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • saf227_ESO
    saf227_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not really. Like others, I like to be able to plan a little in advance. Also, this doesn't feel like an 'event'. It's just, 'do whatever you normally do - and we'll give you some extra stuff (XP, mats).'
    Edited by saf227_ESO on March 18, 2022 8:05PM
    Options
  • S0Z0H
    S0Z0H
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Announcing that Surprise Events are officially a thing might help for one! " Oh surprise...that week you took off from the game? You missed out on double XP...Surprise! "
    How this will work correctly , if you get Gina or someone to make a short video introduction "Surprise Events" and she should say " so you're not going to want to ever miss a day of logging in to ESO, cuz you'll never know what SURPRISE event may be going on! Hehehehe"
    Surprise Events can work if they are announced that Surprise Events will officially be a thing. So this incentives players to stay on the game , in addition to those "exciting" daily items they get lol.

So I'm for Surprise Events , if the community at large is completely aware that their will be officially Surprise Events. No...I'm not asking for a post of when each Surprise event will happen...cuz that wouldn't make it a surprise. Lol . You following me?

If you all do this. Then make it known loud and clear on every social platform imaginable, including YOUTUBE ( hello?!) That this will be a thing.
    Thank you
    Options
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I don't see what is bad about them. I guess a few days warning would be good for those who want to try to be on more for them. But, in that case, maybe you could extend them a couple of days? Really though, any event is better than no event. So if we were not going to have one and suddenly we do, I just don't see how that is bad?

The downside though with this event is that there are ongoing performance issues while it is happening. So if I wanted to use the double xp to level a character with some random dungeons, and the dungeon finder isn't working, then what good is the event? Or if people can't log and now there is an event, I can imagine them being rather pissed. I would be if I was having severe login issues at the time I play and suddenly there was an event. It would be a real let down. So if you are looking for ways to improve, perhaps if you do an impromptu event while there are ongoing issues, maybe consider how to adjust for that. Like if double XP is a big part of the event, and people cannot log, then maybe gift XP items so people can have that when they finally can log? Or if farming is part of the event where more mats are given, maybe give event satchels every day during the event just for logging with a bunch of nice mats.
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Not a fan of surprise events in general. Explorers is such a low impact event though that it being a surprise isn't a big deal.
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think one important thing is that the surprise event, like this Explorers Event, not feature items you can't get if you miss out. The XP and gold is nice, but you can get XP and gold outside this event. At a slower pace, but you will get it. I would not want surprise events that feature style pages or pets or skins or other things that can only be obtained during event.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    regular events like ones with tickets should not be surprises

i dont necessarily consider the "explorers event" an event because it does not provide the same benefits as an event as compared to other past ESO events (no tickets, no impressario)

when i used to play city of heroes this type of "event" would be nothing more than say a "double xp weekend", which is still appreciated, but should not be elevated to the level of "event" such as the holiday ones
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not a fan of this sort of standard event being a surprise. That said, surprise events like a random pirate/bandit attack on a town, Molag Bal or his minions dropping in somewhere by surprise occasionally, that would be welcome and awesome.
    Options
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I like to know when events are happening so I can make a note of it and decide the best time to log in later.

I also think there should be more mini-events that have no tickets or rare coffers attached, reward people for playing the game as normal, and happen a couple of times each per month.
    • Explorer’s Celebration is already pretty nice, but additional rewards such as double boss drops and more transmute crystals would really encourage more people to spend time in older zones and dungeons.
    • Something for PvP, with double alliance points and tel-var, and more goodies in rewards for the worthy. Like a mini Mayhem.
    Edited by FluffyReachWitch on March 18, 2022 8:36PM
    Options
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Oh yes please. Surprise events are most often quite pleasant and a welcome addition to the daily grind. However as stated above these should only contain generic rewards as in this current event.
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, because if you don't play every day, you miss half the event by the time you find out about it.
    Options
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No sorry , however....a surprise *CROWN STORE SALE!* ? Now that i can $upport! B)
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Gaeliannas wrote: »
    Not a fan of this sort of standard event being a surprise. That said, surprise events like a random pirate/bandit attack on a town, Molag Bal or his minions dropping in somewhere by surprise occasionally, that would be welcome and awesome.

I hated that kind of thing in WoW. SO not fun....
    Options
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    What's not to like ! - it's free and extra stuff :)

If you survey 50 people and ask if they would like an extra 10% surprise bonus in their pay packet now and again, I guarantee you some would be disconcerted by it ! :#

Options
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, I will never turn down surprise bonus goodies, though I will say that having important events (specifically the ones which grant event tickets) announced beforehand does allow some of us to plan around work or class schedules.
    Options
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I understand why you made it a Yes/No poll, but I hope you also read the replies here for nuance. I voted no to highlight my feelings below.

I've always wanted an official in-game calendar.

Honestly, that ESO is a AAA MMO and doesn't have a nicely organised, fixed rotation calendar of events is very surprising to me. It feels confused and unsettled, as if you don't have confidence in the game, and need to try things out all the time and keep players on their toes. Older players can't tell new players when events will happen which adds to the confusion and feeling of flux.

An esoteric events system means players can't easily indulge in their fave bits of the game. If you've been playing the game for a long time, having a good exciting joyful reason to go back to old zones is great! Not everyone likes all the content, after all. If people like a Summerset event, give them a fixed date when they know to log in. An unpredictable events system just messes around with players time. You know how players loathe RNG, well RNG events feel bad. Let people love your game and make time for it so it suits their lives. A calendar isn't boring, it's respectful. I don't use that word lightly.

But my fave reason for an events calendar is that it makes ESO feel like a proper place to live in. Ah! Lets go on holiday to Elsweyr because at this time of year it's their holiday event!! Hooray. We'll all wear our Elsweyr holiday clothes and be silly and fun there. These things happen in the real world, and it makes Tamriel feel like a real place too.

Ta for reading ^^

EDIT: Reading this back, I think I was a bit ruder than I meant to be. So apologies. I've edited accordingly.

Edited by Magenpie on March 22, 2022 12:48AM
    Options
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes please, all for less formal, pop up events.
    I'd happy pass up several big events a year, for more frequent, spontaneous events.
    Options
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I voted No because this event was done while the game is unplayeable due to the most recent patch. This seemed in my view as a corporate distraction to get people to stop complaining about the performance issues. I realize this was most likely not the case but the timing does look bad.

Also, guilds like to plan extra runs during events so surprise events just create last minute scrambling for guilds.
    Edited by SimonThesis on March 18, 2022 9:02PM
    Options
  • Zephiran23
    Zephiran23
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Missing out on in game events because you decided to do something IRL that week/month etc is annoying. I missed getting Murkmire as a daily reward because I was away on holidays most of that month. That wasn't great and not something I want to see repeated.

Surprise in game events also implies that there will be more of them. Player burnout is a thing and events contribute to this. Not just the grind for those that reward tickets, but the feeling that you need to be in game doing whatever activities give the biggest reward for as many hours/day as you can.

AWA has annoyed a lot of players, don't push more of them away.
    Options
  • KalevaLaine
    KalevaLaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - because I think this is just an excuse for this messed up last update.
    i TurNeD inTo A mARtian 👽 // PC EU seit 2020 (3452CP) // PS EU von 2015-2020 (1250CP)
    Options
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I want to vote “yes” because I love events. I’d be happy with there always being some kind of event.
    But… I’d prefer advance notice.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think it's okay for an event of this type to be held without forewarning, but events that let players earn tickets, special reward coffers, and purchase limited-time offerings from the Impresario or other event merchants should definitely be announced in advance so players can plan appropriately.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted 'Yes' but it is nice to have a day or so notice in advance to plan if poss.
    TBH I wish the Explorer's Event came up more frequently during the year.
    Beyond CP 1300 (and oddly enough Levels 45-50) the regular XP feels like a small amount and levels come much slower IMO.

Plus it's nice sometimes to take a break from grinding dailies and wander\farm mats; getting double is a guaranteed way for me to spend several hours just farming and enjoying the scenery :)
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but only non-ticket events.
    Options
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Non ticket events are fine for a surprise, as long as we aren't getting one every other week. Once or twice a year is cool. I would also like an annual calendar of the major events such as Mayhem, Jester's, Anniversary, Witches and New Life.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
    Options