The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO PvP Update [Updated June 2022]

• Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »
    It's good that they put a new pinned thread up about what's going on with MYM/Whitestrakes Mayehem. But they still haven't given us any updates on where they're at with the code rewrite/re architecture project, or to let us know if that project is even still happening or not.

So, where is ZOS at with the code reworking project?

@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_MattFiror

They have always had such outstanding communication with the community. It's shocking that we've not heard anything. Oh wait.... I have them confused with literally any other business I've ever dealt with.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip] Here you get a mount and a pet, [snip] and sometimes a ban.... They will soon begin selling space ships lol

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 3, 2023 3:34PM
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coletas wrote: »
    [snip] Here you get a mount and a pet, [snip] and sometimes a ban.... They will soon begin selling space ships lol

lol at that point it becomes Eve Online :D

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 3, 2023 3:34PM
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anybody out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtBLZP_RGeQ
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »

We are alone, adrift in a void of no pvp support
  • TaintedKurse
    TaintedKurse
    ✭✭✭
    Despite still being stuck working on improvements. I appreciate that a lack of updates has been acknowledged. I look forward for what's to come after it's all implemented. I feel for PVP players. I personally don't do it much but, I have been trying to get into it. But, when it is done. Please work on something to add to PVP other than new item sets.

It's a truly underutilized asset that players should be partaking in more regularly. I think most don't because, it rarely sees updates. Imperial city is still one of my favorite pieces of content.
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite still being stuck working on improvements. I appreciate that a lack of updates has been acknowledged. I look forward for what's to come after it's all implemented. I feel for PVP players. I personally don't do it much but, I have been trying to get into it. But, when it is done. Please work on something to add to PVP other than new item sets.

It's a truly underutilized asset that players should be partaking in more regularly. I think most don't because, it rarely sees updates. Imperial city is still one of my favorite pieces of content.

Ya like, we as pvp'ers obviously don't expect it to be the main focus. At least I don't.

I can acknowledge that yeah, the PvE side is the bigger money maker, but if ZOS could just communicate a bit more about their supposed support/QOL plans for PvP, it would go a long way.
  • Poncho28
    Poncho28
    ✭✭✭
    0x1v11qqpfb4.jpg

Common theme in Gray Host - Low pop buff is unbalanced and to be honest, no one from ZOS can explain why there is one (poured through many forums posts to find an answer). If anything it should tell everyone this game's slow PvP death is or has probably reached a 'point of no return'.
    Poncho-Dovahkiin (Defilers of Molag Bal, Lost Souls of Tamriel, Foundations Start, Rebellious Spirit)
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The low pop bonus for the Blackreach campaign on PC NA flickers on and off like a light switch. Makes it easy to obtain Tier 3 rewards, though.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say anything even slightly related to the low pop buff is #89 on the list of things they should worry about/fix in PVP. There are so many game-breaking bugs and of course of the overall horrible server performance that low pop is about the last thing I have time to think about when playing this horribly broken part of the game.
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poking this thread with a stick to keep eyes on it.

Hello , fair reader, please contribute your opinion on this matter.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS still hasn't commented on the alleged code rewrites that will make cyrodiil function more like it used to and restore performance. It almost seems like the un-stickying of this thread is their comment regarding the issue.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure there is nothing particularly exciting for milestones to let us know either way with this type of work other than when it is done. I still wouldn't hold my breath to see that either.
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure that this whole "code rewrite" was blown out of proportion by marketing and some hyped players. The announcement of this project, and the promise of better pvp performance, happened a few days after a fauxpas that insulted the whole pvp community (on a twitch stream over a year ago). Very good timing.

After witnessing all the other fruitless projects, and the way they have been communicated, we should not expect this new one to fix all the problems. I would be very positively surprised if it fixed anything. Let's just hope it will not break the game even more.

It would be nice to get some real info, why this game is still plagued with so many bugs and performance issues, after so many years. Maybe in the form of an interview. But i guess that will never happen.
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that this whole "code rewrite" was blown out of proportion by marketing and some hyped players. The announcement of this project, and the promise of better pvp performance, happened a few days after a fauxpas that insulted the whole pvp community (on a twitch stream over a year ago). Very good timing.

After witnessing all the other fruitless projects, and the way they have been communicated, we should not expect this new one to fix all the problems. I would be very positively surprised if it fixed anything. Let's just hope it will not break the game even more.

It would be nice to get some real info, why this game is still plagued with so many bugs and performance issues, after so many years. Maybe in the form of an interview. But i guess that will never happen.

Perhaps, but they have essentially tried to sweep this entire matter under the rug, I suspect this thread has never been locked because doing so would draw attention to the issue and require an official response. (Which I don't imagine they're prepared to give)

Idk, @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin , sorry to ping you guys but wondering if there's any official comment on this?
    Edited by LadyLavina on February 28, 2023 6:48PM
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not here to defend ZoS's actions but I do want to point out that a lot of people seem to have a misunderstanding about the re-architecture. Yes it is happening. No it doesn't prove a long-term support for the game. They said it would take most of 2022 to write it. They never said it would be integrated in that time. They did say it would be integrated over the course of 2023. So yeah, calm down about it. It's happening. Will it actually perform better? Maybe. Or maybe they'll throttle down the hardware even more to cut costs while maintaining the same level of performance they have now. Who actually can say?

As for why they would do this kind of work this late in the lifecycle. Well, that's where you have to put your business hat on. People seem to think it will cost a lot of money to do such a thing but really it doesn't. Those employees were already present and being payed. On top of that, for a long-tail wind down they would want to cut operational costs as much as possible to increase profits. This means better hardware and better software with one-time investments that will drastically cut down on maintenance and electricity costs in the long run. On top of that people seem to forget they are working on a new game. What better way to develop a core technology that they need to make no matter what (hence the costs is already factored in) than to develop it for a live scenario where it can be battle tested with real world metrics? Two birds. One stone.
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭

You are right because there is no "magic fix" for this. But if I remember correctly they didn't really promise a magic fix either, they said they decided to rewrite base code and where expecting improvements because of it.

If you look at this from start to finish, taking into account the entire testphase of the past couple of years, you can clearly see this is a complex issue, resorting to rewriting base code is not exactly a fix that magically makes anything work better, more often than not it's a first step to better code and eventually a better user experience.

I'm hopeful that the rewrite will result in better updates in the future, as in when they release something they can be more confident it won't break anything and when lag happens they can better monitor and scale hardware and adjust accordingly.

But hoping that they'll drop new code in one update and everything will be fixed overnight is probably not the right expectation. It could be that they're trying to manage expectations by giving it less attention and gradually communicating about it when performance is actually getting better, which wouldn't be such a bad idea tbh.

But because they talked about it earlier, I think it'd be a better idea to share a dev blogpost about this and just be honest about what we can expect.

@ZOS_Kevin, maybe something to consider. 🙂
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »
    I'm not here to defend ZoS's actions but I do want to point out that a lot of people seem to have a misunderstanding about the re-architecture. Yes it is happening. No it doesn't prove a long-term support for the game. They said it would take most of 2022 to write it. They never said it would be integrated in that time. They did say it would be integrated over the course of 2023. So yeah, calm down about it. It's happening. Will it actually perform better? Maybe. Or maybe they'll throttle down the hardware even more to cut costs while maintaining the same level of performance they have now. Who actually can say?

As for why they would do this kind of work this late in the lifecycle. Well, that's where you have to put your business hat on. People seem to think it will cost a lot of money to do such a thing but really it doesn't. Those employees were already present and being payed. On top of that, for a long-tail wind down they would want to cut operational costs as much as possible to increase profits. This means better hardware and better software with one-time investments that will drastically cut down on maintenance and electricity costs in the long run. On top of that people seem to forget they are working on a new game. What better way to develop a core technology that they need to make no matter what (hence the costs is already factored in) than to develop it for a live scenario where it can be battle tested with real world metrics? Two birds. One stone.

If people are misunderstanding, then the fault falls squarely on ZOS. It's their project, and they really should be keeping sticky threads and giving us the lingo to understand what's happening. At best, we get once or twice a year "updates" where there is little or no follow up on the mountains of questions.
    Edited by Destai on March 8, 2023 8:54PM
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭

No, that wont happen. This is plagued of bugs and performance issues because a [snip] bad architecture was designed. Queue systems + mysql? Im wrong zeni guys? While its not easy to remake all such easy and fast development system and build a profesional one wich can overcome concurrency problems... I really doubt the same leaders that made the problem are going to solve it, specially when they are going the same way forma that new aaa.

[snip]
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 5, 2023 7:49PM
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

Any news on this? It was mentioned by @ZOS_MattFiror that we could expect some information on this project within the release cycle of Necrom.

While I don't expect this to magically fix anything, I am curious about the progress and findings at this point, because I am very much looking forward to new PVP content.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    "new PVP content"

That's funny. They're barely even putting out any good PVE content now and there hasn't been PVP content in years. LOL
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    "new PVP content"

That's funny. They're barely even putting out any good PVE content now and there hasn't been PVP content in years. LOL

Well I'm just refering to the AMA, they said the rework is what's keeping them from adding new pvp content. Perfect timing to follow up, don't you think?
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip] Many many things that they've said were going to happen never did.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 3, 2023 3:32PM
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    [snip] Many many things that they've said were going to happen never did.

Totally agree. Didnt met a company with less credibility

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 3, 2023 3:33PM
  • Poncho28
    Poncho28
    ✭✭✭
    02JUN23 Gray Host. Notice EP has same population as AD.

3otzcnpjnmb3.jpg

9dqkc9dbqg9y.jpg

Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on June 2, 2023 9:29PM
    Poncho-Dovahkiin (Defilers of Molag Bal, Lost Souls of Tamriel, Foundations Start, Rebellious Spirit)
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah no offense to the monthly suspicious low pop bonus activity; as it s part of PVP neglect. But hows that multi threading going ZOS? Going to just wait until the end of year and say "next year, is the year" again?
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the meantime, we’ll consider additional ways to keep Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds interesting and exciting (for example, potentially special rulesets or weekend events)

So Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds have not been exciting at all. The performance during MYM was great honestly, however I still didn't play as much as previous years. Why? Cause the balance is horrible, the time to kill is way too high, the population caps are too low, and most class are not fun to play (and horribly homogenous).

Who knows if this code rewrite is happening, but it won't matter much if PvP is a bad experience though. So while you guys are still working on this rewrite, you should really be putting effort into fixing the issues I mentioned. Balancing the existing game is something you can do, please do so.
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin do you have by any chance news about the code-rewrite or any new plans to keep Cyro/BGs exciting (like rulesets or something like that)? :)
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump,
    Is there an update on this? Thank you in advance
  • RMW
    RMW
    ✭✭✭✭