Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

My thoughts on the recent outrage about ESO's monetization practices

• dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, been here since beta, and not once have I had an issue with the Crown store.
    Even my friends who were new players a few years ago asked questions about items, read, and watched countless resources pertaining to what you could get in-game.

I personally don't feel any sympathy for people who genuinely don't take the time to research or even ask about things they have no idea about. We live in an age of information at our fingertips and still many refuse to live in ignorance.

As for content creators, I don't take their word for anything because they are there to generate money for themselves and gather views by any means. Unless they are actively giving out useful tips about the game itself I ignore most TTV or YT personalities in any form.
  • Ythotha
    Ythotha
    ✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    I personally need ZOS to make more money so they can provide a quality gaming experience. Currently PvP does not meet my quality expectations and I would like to see more revenue steered toward improving that experience.This means I need the crown store to exist and I need whales to support ZOS. The limited availability and relatively high cost of items does mean some players will be unhappy.

If there was a way for ZOS to generate more revenue while keeping everyone happy, I would support that.

no amount of money they make is gonna make it better
    lack of it will
  • AuraStorm43
    AuraStorm43
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Its not all cosmetic there’s quite a few non cosmetic items on there, some of which take advantage of new players

I think that spreading the word about that to new players is part of the responsibility of the community. As was noted elsewhere, ZOS marketing is about marketing what they sell, not about marketing options to avoid buying what they are selling. It would be nice if ZOS marketing of Crown items did not make it sound like their stuff is the only game in town, but I don't generally consider this to be common for someone writing marketing material.

Outrage was not productive, but making sure that new player guides, comments, retweets, etc, mention alternatives will at least help.

Its also on ZOS to provide disclaimers on the items so people don’t waste their crowns

Instead its buried in a menu nobody knows exists
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive_wonder wrote: »
    1. FOMO, aka limited availibility items.
    I'm pretty sure it's not worth it and ZOS is shooting themself in the foot with this, if all items were available at all times they would make much more in a long run. (HOUSES the worst offender)

They absolutely would *not* make much more, in fact they would make less. There is a great GDC talk on this. The limited nature of the items is what spurs people into action. They buy specifically because they know it's going away. If things were always there, people would put it off, knowing they can get it at anytime because it will always be there. This is a very well-researched psychological phenomena and Zenimax has an entire staff dedicated to perfecting the sell-through rates of the Crown Store. Do you honestly believe they are just doing it out of spite and leaving money on the table? No, of course not. This is exactly what they want to maximize revenue.

If people stop buying them, that will send the loudest message possible
    Edited by RicAlmighty on December 29, 2021 12:57AM
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's not worth it and ZOS is shooting themself in the foot with this, if all items were available at all times they would make much more in a long run. (HOUSES the worst offender)

They absolutely would *not* make much more, in fact they would make less. There is a great GDC talk on this. The limited nature of the items is what spurs people into action. They buy specifically because they know it's going away. If things were always there, people would put it off, knowing they can get it at anytime because it will always be there. This is a very well-researched psychological phenomena and Zenimax has an entire staff dedicated to perfecting the sell-through rates of the Crown Store. Do you honestly believe they are just doing it out of spite and leaving money on the table? No, of course not. This is exactly what they want to maximize revenue.

Given that item is becoming available to buy only once a year, how many potential consumers missing the opportunity to buy said item?
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Given that item is becoming available to buy only once a year, how many potential consumers missing the opportunity to buy said item?

Not to mention, the entire ZOS model seems to be built on turn and burn with customers, and not long term customer retention. It would behoove them to have items appear a lot more frequently than once every 2-3 years as is the case with many of the highly desirable items.

Yes yes, I realize that most here on the forums are well entrenched into ESO, but that is not their normal customer. As a GM of a rather large guild I can say with some authority, that the turnover rate of players in ESO is pretty high, and most of them never get to even see most of the incredible things they could have bought that may have kept them around a bit longer. Yes, cosmetics, housing, etc... is a big thing and something many MMO players care about and will spend $$$ on. What is the sense of having a great housing/decorating system, when you only sell a few homes a year and most of your customers don't stick around long enough to even see a minute portion of them come available?
  • AuraStorm43
    AuraStorm43
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Not to mention, the entire ZOS model seems to be built on turn and burn with customers, and not long term customer retention. It would behoove them to have items appear a lot more frequently than once every 2-3 years as is the case with many of the highly desirable items.

Yes yes, I realize that most here on the forums are well entrenched into ESO, but that is not their normal customer. As a GM of a rather large guild I can say with some authority, that the turnover rate of players in ESO is pretty high, and most of them never get to even see most of the incredible things they could have bought that may have kept them around a bit longer. Yes, cosmetics, housing, etc... is a big thing and something many MMO players care about and will spend $$$ on. What is the sense of having a great housing/decorating system, when you only sell a few homes a year and most of your customers don't stick around long enough to even see a minute portion of them come available?

Well the models meant to run of off “grasers” and “whales”, grasers meaning players than buy a little and drop the game and whales being the ones who spend a fortune
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭

Also they could implement FOMO in a far mor elegant way.
    They could make crown store items rotations far more frequent.
    Like it's done in Fortnite for example, if i recall correctly, items rotate every 3 days or so.
    But still, i would like it to be more like FFXIV's mogstation shop with more adequate pricing and sales.
    Technically they could just compose those 2 models, make crown store permanent stock wider and add rotating stock.
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Youtube video about the controversy. It bothered me a little that the creative director used so rude language (f-words). It was beneath his position in the company to do so.

Also I think ZOS should remove respec scrolls from the crown store or sell them with ingame gold.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I resubbed for 3 months and bought Blackwood at sale price - so for around 50 bucks I got access to all DLC and convenience again, I got a few costumes, which I really enjoy and all the special items of the Elsweyr chapter - so finally I have as well that mount, which I see so many using these days. This is a lot of entertainment for 50 bucks and if I need more, I will sub for the next 3 or 6 months and enjoy what I get with those crowns coming with the subscription. I really can't see, why some think, ESO+ would be expensive - it's like 40 cents per day, where do you get that much for 40 cents nowadays?
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, cosmetics, housing, etc... is a big thing and something many MMO players care about and will spend $$$ on. What is the sense of having a great housing/decorating system, when you only sell a few homes a year and most of your customers don't stick around long enough to even see a minute portion of them come available?

If they don't stick around for long enough, why do they even need it then?- The problem is less the way, in which it is offered, but a lack of self-control. Nothing of that is important, if you don't play the game or not often enough. You don't need it, you might want it, but you don't need it - if it is offered, fine, you might eventually get it, but if not, then why care, if you won't be there for long enough anyway.

• ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    Yes, cosmetics, housing, etc... is a big thing and something many MMO players care about and will spend $$$ on. What is the sense of having a great housing/decorating system, when you only sell a few homes a year and most of your customers don't stick around long enough to even see a minute portion of them come available?

If they don't stick around for long enough, why do they even need it then?- The problem is less the way, in which it is offered, but a lack of self-control. Nothing of that is important, if you don't play the game or not often enough. You don't need it, you might want it, but you don't need it - if it is offered, fine, you might eventually get it, but if not, then why care, if you won't be there for long enough anyway.

Getting the desired item is a big reason to stick around through. It generates satisfaction opposed to frustration from realisation that you need to wait for a huge chunk of time before you will be able to get specific items.
    Also in this scenario even if player don't stick around after buying the item, company still gets the money.
  • PrimusTiberius
    PrimusTiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    my .02, Crown store is all cosmetic, I couldn't care less..... can't afford it, don't get it, think its too much, don't get it.

on a side note, we all see lots of people complaining about the high cost of crown store items but no one has a problem charging high gold prices for their merchant items, funny how that works...haha

I wish there were more in game achievements that you could show off (housing trophies)...now that's something to work (grind) for.

Cheers,

Its not all cosmetic there’s quite a few non cosmetic items on there, some of which take advantage of new players

for example?
    Everyone is going in one direction, I'm going the other direction
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting the desired item is a big reason to stick around through. It generates satisfaction opposed to frustration from realisation that you need to wait for a huge chunk of time before you will be able to get specific items.
    Also in this scenario even if player don't stick around after buying the item, company still gets the money.

not necessarily for the item though - I get nearly all of my crowns from subscription, so if I buy something with those or not is not important for the company, they have the money anyway for the service provided with ESO+ - and part of this service is that I can choose what to do or get with those crowns - if what I would want, is not available, I get something else to enjoy it now - because if there will be a "later", who knows - I could get incredibly sick and unable to play - so better something enjoyable now than to wait for something, what might or might not ever happen.
    Edited by Lysette on December 29, 2021 11:26AM
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭

not necessarily for the item though - I get nearly all of my crowns from subscription, so if I buy something with those or not is not important for the company, they have the money anyway for the service provided with ESO+ - and part of this service is that I can choose what to do or get with those crowns - if what I would want, is not available, I get something else to enjoy it now - because if there will be a "later", who knows - I could get incredibly sick and unable to play - so better something enjoyable now than to wait for something, what might or might not ever happen.

So from what i read in the end it's better to spend crowns on something now then to wait for something, what might or might not ever happen.
    So waiting for the content isn't the best feeling you can experience, as a customer.
    Honestly, i still don't get it.
    How much more they could do, knowing that there are a lot of people, that tend to collect ingame content, if store content was available all at once, or at least was available more frequently it would be far easier for playerbase to plan their budgets and gradually buy everything it has to offer.
    There are a lot of people that throwing money at the monitor but nothing happening. Because items are unavailable. :/
  • AuraStorm43
    AuraStorm43
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my .02, Crown store is all cosmetic, I couldn't care less..... can't afford it, don't get it, think its too much, don't get it.

on a side note, we all see lots of people complaining about the high cost of crown store items but no one has a problem charging high gold prices for their merchant items, funny how that works...haha

I wish there were more in game achievements that you could show off (housing trophies)...now that's something to work (grind) for.

Cheers,

for example?

Do i really need to break down all the items that aren’t cosmetic on the crown store? Just look at the upgrade tab
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    So basically, here i am, i bought yearly subscription.
    Sitting and staring at large amount of crowns i have thinking what to buy.
    I would gladly spend it on the 14000+ notable house, but i can't, the ones i like are not available for sale and who know when will they become available.
    I spent some on the snowglobe house and the rest just converted into gold, since nothing from the crown store really catch my eye.
    Then i bought the maximum crown pack on sale.
    Still sitting on all those crowns. Because again, who knows when the house will become available.
    I don't want to spend anything on lootboxes, because, self-explanatory.
    Why can't i just pay and get what i want ZOS :'(
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A few for sure, but they are dwarfed by the number of consumers who do actually purchase the item. The system will never be perfect, it cannot be. They need to cater to one faction or the other, the casual buyers or the hardcore buyers. It's pretty clear which one they would lean towards.

Just to be clear, I do not support this practice personally and I'd prefer they be a little more accessible with purchasable content, but this model has been proven to work and people who claim that Zos would make more money by offering all items at once simply do not understand how human psychology works. There are entire teams of PhDs that study these things and derive the optimal formula for optimizing sell through. The best thing you can do if you disagree with the model is not to buy things occasionally. it's to not buy things at all.

• RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if store content was available all at once, or at least was available more frequently it would be far easier for playerbase to plan their budgets and gradually buy everything it has to offer.

And that is exactly why it will never happen. They don't want you "budgeting", they don't want players to purchase "gradually", they want you to purchase now. So everything in the marketplace is designed towards making that happen. Do you want that mount/pet/skin/morph? Then you'd better get it now because it may never come back again. If it were always there, *less* people would actually buy it because the urgency is no longer there. Yes, it's unfortunate for some players, but the system clearly works, and unless people simply stop buying items altogether, it is not likely to change.

• ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭

A few for sure, but they are dwarfed by the number of consumers who do actually purchase the item. The system will never be perfect, it cannot be. They need to cater to one faction or the other, the casual buyers or the hardcore buyers. It's pretty clear which one they would lean towards.

Just to be clear, I do not support this practice personally and I'd prefer they be a little more accessible with purchasable content, but this model has been proven to work and people who claim that Zos would make more money by offering all items at once simply do not understand how human psychology works. There are entire teams of PhDs that study these things and derive the optimal formula for optimizing sell through. The best thing you can do if you disagree with the model is not to buy things occasionally. it's to not buy things at all.

I disagree with "dwarfed by the number of consumers who do actually purchase the item."
    Sound kinda absurd that weekly sales could outweight the yearly sales.
    Also, even if they wanted to use FOMO, why wouldn't they just adopt Fortnite shop model for example?
    Clearly it brings more money to make content available more often.
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    if store content was available all at once, or at least was available more frequently it would be far easier for playerbase to plan their budgets and gradually buy everything it has to offer.

And that is exactly why it will never happen. They don't want you "budgeting", they don't want players to purchase "gradually", they want you to purchase now. So everything in the marketplace is designed towards making that happen. Do you want that mount/pet/skin/morph? Then you'd better get it now because it may never come back again. If it were always there, *less* people would actually buy it because the urgency is no longer there. Yes, it's unfortunate for some players, but the system clearly works, and unless people simply stop buying items altogether, it is not likely to change.

I think no way it's "unfortunate for some players" it's just flat "consumer = lose, company = win" type of situation.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A few people have asserted that ZOS will make ESO better and pay its devs better if they make more money.

Those people need to do some research and see that the two things do not have a direct connection.

Some companies may pay more when they can afford it, but most will just push the profits up instead, since they are publicly owned and thus want maximum income. Paying more for devs and development works against that.

Has anyone seen anything where ZOS said they would give everyone a raise if they sell more Crown Store items? What do you base your beliefs on for this view otherwise?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading that ZOS was recently aquired by Microsoft and became part of Xbox Game Studios.
    I wonder, if there any hope that monetization practices will change to the better in the light of that event?
    Upd.
    From the Xbox Game Studios Loot Box Policies page:
    1. Players always receive fair value. Players will receive a fair minimum value for all loot box purchases in our games. Every loot box will provide a virtual item that has an in-game worth or value equal to or greater than the amount paid.
    2. Items in loot boxes can always be earned through play. All items available through paid loot boxes in our games will also be available through unpaid opportunity by gameplay (i.e. grinding).
    3. Content probability disclosure. Where loot box items are offered for purchase within our games, players will be told the probability of obtaining each category of possible items (e.g. 80% for a “common” item, 15% for a “rare” item, and 5% for an “epic” item).
    4. Purchase disclosures. Our games will disclose, at the point of purchase or download, that they offer in-game purchases.
    5. No pay to play in premium games. For purchased-to-own games, players will not be required to make additional purchases to play the base game. Expansions, DLC, and special content may require additional purchase.
    6. We won’t use the information you share with us to reduce your odds. We will not use a player’s personal or gameplay information to negatively impact the odds or results of receiving a valuable loot box item. This information, if used, would only be used to enhance the opportunity of a player, e.g., the possible items received may be geared toward what a player needs at a given time in the game or to prevent duplicates where the duplicate item has no added value.
    Edited by ive_wonder on December 29, 2021 4:27PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think no way it's "unfortunate for some players" it's just flat "consumer = lose, company = win" type of situation.

How does the consumer lose by purchasing something they want? This is no different than any retail business. The consumer only loses if they spend more than they can afford.

I don't see anyone telling department stores to stop having sales because some consumers lack self control and rack up huge credit card debt. How is this any different?
    PCNA
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭

How does the consumer lose by purchasing something they want? This is no different than any retail business. The consumer only loses if they spend more than they can afford.

I don't see anyone telling department stores to stop having sales because some consumers lack self control and rack up huge credit card debt. How is this any different?

It's not about sales.
    If we take example with department store, we surprisingly will find out that only 1/4 of the store is filled with items.
    You want to buy, lets say, house for your cat, you ask the shopkeeper.
    Shopkeeper mysteriously winking and smiling answers: "Oh, it's not available right now, and who knows when will it be available."
    Edited by ive_wonder on December 29, 2021 4:39PM
  • Charon_on_Vacation
    Charon_on_Vacation
    ✭✭✭✭
    the real difference is, those in-game items have no necessity of being time limited. there is no limiting factor that rl items have. they can be distributed endlessly without any issue at all.
    the only reason they are limited is to pressure people into buying. that is all.

I disagree with "dwarfed by the number of consumers who do actually purchase the item."
    Also, even if they wanted to use FOMO, why wouldn't they just adopt Fortnite shop model for example?

you know this whole FOMO topic is researched by a lot of people and there are several studies on it?
    you disagree, that is fine, but its basically like saying "bayer has no clue about aspirin, their formula is wrong! they should listen to me and use my formula!".
    i mean, if you are really an expert in the field, much more knowledgeable than anyone else, go ahead, change it and become rich over night. :)
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    the real difference is, those in-game items have no necessity of being time limited. there is no limiting factor that rl items have. they can be distributed endlessly without any issue at all.
    the only reason they are limited is to pressure people into buying. that is all.

you know this whole FOMO topic is researched by a lot of people and there are several studies on it?
    you disagree, that is fine, but its basically like saying "bayer has no clue about aspirin, their formula is wrong! they should listen to me and use my formula!".
    i mean, if you are really an expert in the field, much more knowledgeable than anyone else, go ahead, change it and become rich over night. :)

Then why WoW, FFXIV still making tons of money from their cash shop without having a rotating stock.
    And why Fortnite making gazillion more with having much more frequent store rotations.
    I think if you look at todays market you find a lot of examples of far better monetization then what we have currently.
    Edited by ive_wonder on December 29, 2021 5:02PM
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you'd be wrong. That's how it works. That's why 99% of all micro-transaction stores in video games are set up this way, because it works. 20% of the player base will generate 80% of the revenue (Pareto Principle), that's held for many years.

There is no evidence whatsoever to support that assertion. In fact, almost all of the evidence supports the exact opposite. You can disagree, but it doesn't change the truth of the matter. The stores operate this way for one reason... it works.
    And why Fortnite making gazillion more with having much more frequent store rotations.

That's debatable and I doubt you have access to either company's internal books. Fortnite absolutely rolls items in and out of its shop, it has more "limited time" events than almost any other video game on the market. It also has a significantly larger player population and a slightly different demographic (skews much younger), so the results of the analysis are different. I do not believe that Fortnite and ESO are directly comparable in this instance.
    I think if you look at todays market you find a lot of examples of far better monetization then what we have currently.

Where? Give us some examples
    Edited by RicAlmighty on December 29, 2021 5:19PM
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭

Then you'd be wrong. That's how it works. That's why 99% of all micro-transaction stores in video games are set up this way, because it works. 20% of the player base will generate 80% of the revenue (Pareto Principle), that's held for many years.

There is no evidence whatsoever to support that assertion. In fact, almost all of the evidence supports the exact opposite. You can disagree, but it doesn't change the truth of the matter. The stores operate this way for one reason... it works.

Where is that 99% is coming from?
    Is it that hard to imagine that monetization can be more consumer friendly?
    And that there are games that already have better monetization schemes?
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    Where? Give us some examples

FFXIV, Fortnite, Warframe, Fall Guys, Gwent, League of legends, Path of Exile
    Edited by ive_wonder on December 29, 2021 5:26PM