Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Beyond that, nothing to report now, but we will be working toward having a more detailed answer regarding overland content in the future.
    Hmm, I'm not reading that the way you are. I am in doubt that a "detailed answer" will come in the form of a forum post. I would love to be wrong, but I just can't see them doing any kind of exciting overhaul of the Overland and then not saving the reveal for the preview of a new Chapter or DLC.

Unless, of course, the answer is simply "No--and here is why," and concluding things with the closing of this thread.

:#

Edited by Cireous on April 17, 2022 3:36AM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here's something for ZOS to try to please those who want a far more challenging overland content experience. Remove the PVP aspect from Imperial City and the sewers and then massively crank up the difficulty of the mobs and bosses. Replace the city district flags with new bosses while keeping the patrolling ones. There's not much PVP that occurs in the city and the sewers except for the first couple of days of the Mayhem events. It won't be missed as Cyrodiil and battlegrounds still exist. The CP and No CP campaigns could be eliminated and the zone could be a regular one accessible from the map.

PVP players aren't losing much. Those PVE players who want difficult content will receive it and the cost to ZOS is practically nothing - disabling PVP, running some DB scripts to amp up the health, damage and resistance of the mobs and repurposing some dolmen or dungeon boss models to plant on the district flags. Maybe revamp some rewards or XP for players and call it good.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is honestly a bad joke that response wasn't even offhandedly mentioned anywhere. It's also disappointing that Rich seems to lack the understanding that 1.) Some players aren't even touching content because it is boring for them, so the incentive would be to actually engage in the content, and 2.) That the old silver and gold zones were the direction people asking for this are looking in. Also ignoring the fact that gold zones were so quiet perhaps because people just made new characters based in that faction to enjoy it, but once you got onto the power curve for those zones as long as you kept up they were mostly more of the same as the other zones. So either the team lacks the creativity to imagine how this could work, or they don't particularly care to look into the matter.

@ZOS_Kevin, I know you aren't in charge of these things, but it is your name on the top of the thread, and @ZOS_GinaBruno for you as well, these months of silence without even an attempt to ease the concerns of those who are worried that any potential changes could compromise what they enjoy in the game, it's frustrating. Feeling like no one could be bothered to even keep people up to speed on things, this being only one of these such topics. Can't remember which team member said something along the lines of 'trust goes both ways,' but after all of this, what is there to trust?

I don't like to sound pessimistic, talking doom and gloom, but if we had some dialogue, some sort of back and forth, something more often than once in a blue moon, maybe I would have confidence in things moving forward. But I don't, not after this and the AwA feedback threads went ignored, the 'full speed ahead' mentality when doing major server work when the servers were already strained, it feels rushed and done without care. Then, when this topic has been discussed to death and back a dozen times over, those answers still express a lack of understanding of what many users throughout the months of this topic have been expressing as their pain points or interest. It feels like this thread was made to pin us all in a corner and ignore us, as no efforts have been made to express otherwise, and what little we hear suggest nothing we say has been heard. In the end, disappointing, but at least there is an answer now, and one finite sentence shouldn't have needed months to get made.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rich wrote:
    We have millions of players that play The Elder Scrolls Online, and a large portion of them find the game hard and the Overland content challenging, especially as a new player when you don't have gold, all the gear, and Champion Points.

The very idea to balance your entire overland and quest content around brand new players is just so mindbogglingly irrational. Do you really care so much more about attracting new players than keeping your current playerbase engaged?

• vilio11
    vilio11
    ✭✭✭
    I do not think that "the new player argument works". Many of my friends are leaving the game after 10 hours because the game was easy for them. They were bored because the game was braindeath(they told me that). This is not only the story of my friends. Many gamers who tried ESO are saying that the game was boring because of the easy combat.
    Edited by vilio11 on April 17, 2022 7:12AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    The very idea to balance your entire overland and quest content around brand new players is just so mindbogglingly irrational. Do you really care so much more about attracting new players than keeping your current playerbase engaged.

A lot of the current player base is engaged and happy with overland exactly as it is. Just being a powerful and experienced player doesn't mean they want to struggle with everything. Those who are looking for a challenge get it in the content that was developed for that purpose.

vilio11 wrote: »
    I do not think that "the new player argument works". Many of my friends are leaving the game after 10 hours because the game was easy for them. They were bored because the game was braindeath(they told me that). This is not only the story of my friends. Many gamers who tried ESO are saying that the game was boring because of the easy combat.

Not once in all the years I've played have I ever heard a single player in game say the game is too easy. No one in zone chat or guild chat or random groups I've been in or any of my friends have ever expressed any dissatisfaction with overland difficulty, not even once.

The only place I've ever seen this mentioned is on the forums. This doesn't appear to be an issue in game at all.
    Edited by SilverBride on April 17, 2022 8:12AM
    PCNA
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You don't see it in game because those people leave. This is a major issue underpinning many people's ability to enjoy the game.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO isn't going to be a good fit for everyone.
    PCNA
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only place I've ever seen this mentioned is on the forums. This doesn't appear to be an issue in game at all.
    Correct conclusion is that it's not an issue in your type of community. You'll hear a different story if you are in endgame trial or pvp guilds.
    ESO isn't going to be a good fit for everyone.
    This I agree. I like to see game developers caring about player retention and satisfaction, proper communication and taking performance issues very seriously. So ESO is not a good fit for me anymore.
    Thanks for posting this. Wish ZoS could bother to post an update here directly. Communication like this is very important for a customer to make informed decisions. Now I know there's no point in spending any money on ESO for sure.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The very idea to balance your entire overland and quest content around brand new players is just so mindbogglingly irrational. Do you really care so much more about attracting new players than keeping your current playerbase engaged.

A lot of the current player base is engaged and happy with overland exactly as it is. Just being a powerful and experienced player doesn't mean they want to struggle with everything. Those who are looking for a challenge get it in the content that was developed for that purpose.

It's a false assumption that experienced players are by definition interested in trials and hard mode dlc dungeons. I do neither. I like questing. But by just playing the game the way it is intended the content I enjoy becomes trivial.

• BIackHand
    BIackHand
    ✭✭✭

Not once in all the years I've played have I ever heard a single player in game say the game is too easy. No one in zone chat or guild chat or random groups I've been in or any of my friends have ever expressed any dissatisfaction with overland difficulty, not even once.

LoL i saw extremly often ingame how unsatisfied people are with the to easy overland content. In zonechat, guildchat everywhere.

The only reason why people like this is to get fast to max level for the engame. That was the reason for the people wich disliked cadwells silver/gold. There is no way anyone is that bad in the game, that he can enjoy the state of overland content right now. Since Cyrodiil Performance got worse and worse over the years, they restart on NA because the Performance there is better. Or they start to enjoy they other content of the game. Housing or Trials. And who dont like Trials and housing, likes exploring the world and questing, but since the overland content is so frightening easy, they have no reason to play the game anymore and quit.
    Edited by BIackHand on April 17, 2022 9:38AM
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWG actually died because of its simplification, and turning it into what you are advocating for ESO to be.

I am not asking that ESO become anything or change in any way. I am advocating for it to not change and to remain exactly as it has been since One Tamriel was introduced 5 years ago, as far as overland difficulty is involved. This change did not kill ESO. On the contrary, it is more successful now than it's ever been.

And an MMO cannot be stagnant. It needs to be able to change and evolve, otherwise it will die.

Right now, overland content has been stagnant since 2014. I needs an update

You want difficulty? Undress your character. Just fight with a normal, white weapon. There, fixed it for you.

Seriously - as long as we have PvP and new areas, new sets, there will be a power creep. But the whole game can't adjust to that power creep, because there are new players coming in, and facing the overland with getting killed all the time is a wonderful way to make them never come back again. In an open game with no levels attached to areas, where every area is a starter zone, it has to be adjusted to the lowest common denominator. Simple as that.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I am a long time player and I am mostly happy with overland content. I don't want every step of my daily questing to be a roadblock or an epic fight, I want to get the quests done. Overland is getting from point A to point B, and shouldn't be overly hard, especially considering that new players are going to be there as well.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich wrote:
    We have millions of players that play The Elder Scrolls Online, and a large portion of them find the game hard and the Overland content challenging, especially as a new player when you don't have gold, all the gear, and Champion Points.

The very idea to balance your entire overland and quest content around brand new players is just so mindbogglingly irrational. Do you really care so much more about attracting new players than keeping your current playerbase engaged?

No it isn't. The whole concept that ZOS sticks to is that EVERY area is a potential starter area. And that means that they can't make them harder than that new players can deal with them.

I don't really understand your criticism - do you want it to be hard to just get from point A to point B on the map? That just sounds annoying to me. If I want a challange I try newer dungeons, trials or such.
  • BIackHand
    BIackHand
    ✭✭✭
    SWG actually died because of its simplification, and turning it into what you are advocating for ESO to be.

I am not asking that ESO become anything or change in any way. I am advocating for it to not change and to remain exactly as it has been since One Tamriel was introduced 5 years ago, as far as overland difficulty is involved. This change did not kill ESO. On the contrary, it is more successful now than it's ever been.

And an MMO cannot be stagnant. It needs to be able to change and evolve, otherwise it will die.

Right now, overland content has been stagnant since 2014. I needs an update

You want difficulty? Undress your character. Just fight with a normal, white weapon. There, fixed it for you.

Seriously - as long as we have PvP and new areas, new sets, there will be a power creep. But the whole game can't adjust to that power creep, because there are new players coming in, and facing the overland with getting killed all the time is a wonderful way to make them never come back again. In an open game with no levels attached to areas, where every area is a starter zone, it has to be adjusted to the lowest common denominator. Simple as that.

LoL if that would help i would do that long time ago. But i tried and even with white lvl 1 weapons, without cp, even without white gear and only lvl 1 weapons the games is to easy. Funny guy thought nobody got the idea already before KEK. It just seems that you have no idea how easy it is, even for new player without knowledge of mechanics. There is no way to ajust the game to the powercreep of sets, but fix it near to the niveau of cadwells silver/gold would be better for new players wich wanna enjoy and explore the world, instead of grind fast to max lvl for the endgame. Fixing difficulty would slow them down, but atleast people will have fun exploring and questing again. But back again to the point of equip less powerful gear to make the overland content more challenging. This is not a solution, because a big part of every game is the feeling of becoming more powerful. A big Problem is that the enemys dont get stronger because the LvL scaling. Its always the same easy Madness from lvl 1 to max Level. And the most Gear you get the more easy it get without enemys becoming stronger. For me it is simply desperate. I Mean ZOS dont have to make it harder for the people wich want easy content, but it would be good maybe to choose between easy, medium and hard difficulty. idk how to solve the problem. but how it is right now its a disaster
    Edited by BIackHand on April 17, 2022 10:46AM
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I am a long time player and I am mostly happy with overland content. I don't want every step of my daily questing to be a roadblock or an epic fight, I want to get the quests done. Overland is getting from point A to point B, and shouldn't be overly hard, especially considering that new players are going to be there as well.

You conveniently left out the part where most of the discussion centered about creating an option to experience overland in a different way. You would still have your questing “from point A to point B” without any changes.
    Rich wrote:

No it isn't. The whole concept that ZOS sticks to is that EVERY area is a potential starter area. And that means that they can't make them harder than that new players can deal with them.

I don't really understand your criticism - do you want it to be hard to just get from point A to point B on the map? That just sounds annoying to me. If I want a challange I try newer dungeons, trials or such.

And that is the problem. Not everyone remain new player for long. We learn and improve to overcome harder challenges but we can’t experience them in majority of released content because it’s essentially starter areas. Dungeon and trials can be experienced in both settings, why is it such strange concept for some naysayers that same could be done with zones?
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    enemies die so fast it's just boring now. Questing is no-where near as fun as it could be because every enemy just dies nearly instantly, it doesn't feel like there's real stakes to anything. I wish there was a way for me to increase the difficulty without ruining my build but at the same time, without ruining the fun of other players who don't want harder difficulty
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on April 17, 2022 12:16PM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was a way for me to increase the difficulty without ruining my build but at the same time, without ruining the fun of other players who don't want harder difficulty

Too bad that's not happening. They already said no. They should put that on their first post tbh and then let this thread die. I don't even see the point of the sticky anymore. It's really lame.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 17, 2022 12:38PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonyblack wrote: »
    And that is the problem. Not everyone remain new player for long. We learn and improve to overcome harder challenges but we can’t experience them in majority of released content because it’s essentially starter areas. Dungeon and trials can be experienced in both settings, why is it such strange concept for some naysayers that same could be done with zones?

Because the devs have a hardline stance against separate instances because it nearly financially ruined the game the last time it was attempted. They keep saying it over and over that they won't do it, and keep using Cadwell's silver and gold as the example. It separated their playerbase and interfered with the Elder Scrolls with Friends vibes they were trying to go with. They made an explicit design decision that they will not do separate instances because they want that content to be something new players can jump into and play with other players when they wanted when they relaunched the game with One Tamriel. They don't want separate difficulty settings for overland for that reason.

Now why they won't do what LOTRO did and do a slider that lets everyone play in the same area, I don't know. It worked for them.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 17, 2022 1:23PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    We got it directly from them. They literally said they would provide us a response.
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Beyond that, nothing to report now, but we will be working toward having a more detailed answer regarding overland content in the future.

This was a few months ago.

"Promises are like crying babies in a theater, they should be carried out at once."
    Rich wrote:

I actually disagree with that. The overland is just a part of the game, and that part of the game is intended for casual and newer players to be in. There are other parts of the game that are for different players, and not every part of the game has to be designed for every type of player. That is a theme park model, and ZOS seems to have implemented it effectively. Overland and common areas are for more base players, and players are free to choose other content that is more difficult as it suits them. This gives one game, one experience, for all players, and ZOS does not have to maintain two theme parks, one for newbies and casuals and one for experts and veterans.

That is not to say that it cannot be improved, but I do not think that creating what is effectively a separate game experience in the form of veteran zones is the most effective way to handle this. There is room for both newbie/casual overland and harder content in overland on the same map and the same game experience. It just does not result in ALL overland content being harder.

I am not really convinced that ZOS is in the best place to address this problem. At least, not right now. Appearances suggest that a portion of the studio is in some sort of "firefighter mode", running from fire to fire putting it out. Account Wide Achievements felt very tactical to me, like there was a fire that needed to be put out, and not so much a long term strategic plan. We also have the performance rewrite going on, the push for cold storage to be completed, the hardware update, and who knows what other "fires" might be out there. I fear than any attempt to do a veteran content update right now would be just another fire, a tactical implementation, and less than what it could be if it was part of the long term plan for the game.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    enemies die so fast it's just boring now. Questing is no-where near as fun as it could be because every enemy just dies nearly instantly, it doesn't feel like there's real stakes to anything. I wish there was a way for me to increase the difficulty without ruining my build but at the same time, without ruining the fun of other players who don't want harder difficulty

And long, meaningless fights with random mobs all over the maps is not boring?
  • BIackHand
    BIackHand
    ✭✭✭

Eldenring, TES: oblivion, skyrim, morrowind, gothic 1-3 and the majority of singleplayer games with normal not braindead eso overland difficulty are boring?

Imagine those games on eso overland difficulty. They would flop without exception.
    Edited by BIackHand on April 17, 2022 3:17PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Not everyone remain new player for long. We learn and improve to overcome harder challenges but we can’t experience them in majority of released content because it’s essentially starter areas.

Every zone is set up so that even new characters and players new to ESO can succeed in them. This is by design and has been a very successful formula.

Dungeon and trials can be experienced in both settings, why is it such strange concept for some naysayers that same could be done with zones?

Dungeons and Trials are designed to give players a challenge beyond overland so it makes sense that they offer multiple difficulty levels. Technically the same could be done with overland but that doesn't mean it should be.
    PCNA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BIackHand wrote: »
    Eldenring, TES: oblivion, skyrim, morrowind, gothic 1-3 and the majority of singleplayer games with normal not braindead eso overland difficulty are boring?

Imagine those games on eso overland difficulty. They would flop without exception.

Single player games. Games where there is only one player so nothing that player does will affect anyone else. That is not the case in an MMO.
    Edited by SilverBride on April 17, 2022 3:28PM
    PCNA
  • BIackHand
    BIackHand
    ✭✭✭

Single player games. Games where there is only one player so nothing that player does will affect anyone else. That is not the case in an MMO.

Its not about how my actions effect others. Its about that this succesful single player games had a difficulty wich made the quest experience enjoyable for everyone. In eso instead that easy difficulty was just annoying for people wich aim wasnt questing. The aim was to get all their classes/chars fast and easy to max level for the endgame after they gone through cadwells silver/gold already with their mains. I dont know anyone who likes quests, who didnt enjoy it the first time and in case they couldnt manage a quest alone, they asked other for help, like it is in any good mmo and how you build friendships in overland, and thats how it should be. Nowadays you dont need anyone for overland content, doesnt matter you gear or cp. Its simply not needed because that fart dry easy content on overland.
    Edited by BIackHand on April 17, 2022 3:45PM
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Who said they have to be long and boring?
    PC/EU
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not about how my actions effect others.

If creating a separate veteran overland splits the player base and gives out better rewards and takes time and resources that could have been used for things that benefit all players then it does negatively affect others.

Nowadays you dont need anyone for overland content, doesnt matter you gear or cp. Its simply not needed...

That is one of the positive changes that One Tamriel brought. Players can now play their own way at their own pace and not be dependent on others to do simple quests and enjoy the story. But they do still group for the more challenging overland content such as World Bosses and Harrowstorms and Dragons. I group with others for these things every day because I want to, not because I have to.
    PCNA
  • BIackHand
    BIackHand
    ✭✭✭
    Its not about how my actions effect others.

If creating a separate veteran overland splits the player base and gives out better rewards and takes time and resources that could have been used for things that benefit all players then it does negatively affect others.
    Nowadays you dont need anyone for overland content, doesnt matter you gear or cp. Its simply not needed...

That is one of the positive changes that One Tamriel brought. Players can now play their own way at their own pace and not be dependent on others to do simple quests and enjoy the story. But they do still group for the more challenging overland content such as World Bosses and Harrowstorms and Dragons. I group with others for these things every day because I want to, not because I have to.

I never wrote anything about seperate veteran overland to split the playerbase. Thats something somebody else said, wich i dislike aswell.

I never was dependant on anyone, because i overcame challenges myself and felt good after. And then i was hot for the next story after for example destroying the evil plans of the wormcult instead of feeling annoyed for the next quest, because i know exactly that i will kill everything without gear/cp and the use of 1% of my braincells until i am lvl 50.

There werent simple quests wich forced you to grp up, thats why they were simple, but they werent near as easy they are now. Its frustrating that you just meet the same difficulty from lvl 1-50. And when you evolve your gameplay and gear, its even worse. A loooot worse... Most boring quest experience i had so far and thats why i am proud that i experienced cadwells silver/gold and the overland content of my faction before.

About the point you group up for the dragons because you want to and not have to. They actually are hard for the majority of people and for me aswell(depents on the class and gear i use on it) and they have to group up. I guess ZOS couldnt bring it over their heart to make those bosses easy like everything else on overland. That would be a big laugh.

Would i start eso nowadays, i wouldnt even reach the endgame because of the overland boringness and quit the game like the countless other people i know experienced the same dilemma.
    Edited by BIackHand on April 17, 2022 5:56PM
  • Eric_Prince
    Eric_Prince
    ✭✭✭✭

Who said they have to be long and boring?

Exactly this.

I don't want to kill a single mob for a few minutes. I just want to feel engaged in the combat, to actually use at least 5 of my skills. Right now I rarely use buffs, just nuking everything with spammable. An no, even if I will fight completely naked, it won't make fight more interesting. Just longer.

After extremely easy overland content I decided to try soloing base game world bosses. And fights suddenly became interesting! I still kill boss in a minute or two, but I have to use all my skills, dodge and block. And my healer and tank companions have good use - at last. I found myself thinking: "I want to feel this small, but enjoyable rush of adrenaline while fighting story bosses. Giant mudcrab can't be more powerful than the Lord of Domination'.

At one point veteran Maelstorm or Vateshran is just not enough.
    To be the Chosen One really sounds like lots of fun,
    But in the end you'll just be someone's lunch
    (c)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Its frustrating that you just meet the same difficulty from lvl 1-50. And when you evolve your gameplay and gear, its even worse. A loooot worse... Most boring quest experience i had so far and thats why i am proud that i experienced cadwells silver/gold and the overland content of my faction before...

I experienced Cadwell's Silver and Gold, too. I completed both on one character and hated it so I never did it again.

I have evolved my characters by looking up builds and gearing them in good sets and enchants and have become powerful enough to solo a lot of normal dungeons and World Bosses. But rather than feeling bored by overland I just feel relief. When I encounter a story boss that gave me a lot of trouble before and can defeat him without multiple failed attempts I finally feel like the Hero I am proclaimed to be.
    PCNA