The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which "fake" role makes your dungeon group fail most?

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    Glurin wrote: »
    mobicera wrote: »
    Also no one should sign up for a random vet and be expected to run for 3 hours just to clear because some "dps" only presses 1 button.
    This is why I really don't pug anymore, the worst part when you dare suggest improvement or layering dots you are an elitist or your example using dps as a crutch?
    Are you serious?

Dead serious. If you are incapable of completing a dungeon with subpar DPS even with a good tank and healer, it proves that you are using super high DPS as a crutch.

That's not an excuse for DPS to be lazy, mind you. But if you can't handle not being able to nuke the boss in two seconds, I have no choice but to question your actual skill level and disposition.

@Glurin

There are dps check that have mandatory amounts of dps you have to reach, and also dungeons where the bosses escalate what they do if you don't have real dps.

The tanks and healers are not the problem when that happens.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 13, 2020 12:13AM
    Options
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fake Tank
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Not only is "fake dps" not a thing, but saying that it is just shows you've become completely dependent on the dps nuke crutch.

The proof is in the pudding. With a real tank, you can succeed in most dungeons even with dps pulling sub-10k numbers, which you know these days you pretty much have to work at it to get below 10k. With a fake tank, you must pull super high numbers or you will fail.

Fake healers you can work around as long as you've got some decent self heals and/or someone is willing to work a heal or two into their rotation.

Seems you've never been in a veteran Lair of Maarselok or veteran Icereach dungeon and slammed headfirst into a DPS check your DPS couldn't pass. Fake DPS exist dude, and it's a serious problem in the higher end content.

That doesn't make them fake. That just means they couldn't pass the DPS check. ;)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    Not only is "fake dps" not a thing, but saying that it is just shows you've become completely dependent on the dps nuke crutch.

The proof is in the pudding. With a real tank, you can succeed in most dungeons even with dps pulling sub-10k numbers, which you know these days you pretty much have to work at it to get below 10k. With a fake tank, you must pull super high numbers or you will fail.

Fake healers you can work around as long as you've got some decent self heals and/or someone is willing to work a heal or two into their rotation.

Seems you've never been in a veteran Lair of Maarselok or veteran Icereach dungeon and slammed headfirst into a DPS check your DPS couldn't pass. Fake DPS exist dude, and it's a serious problem in the higher end content.

That doesn't make them fake. That just means they couldn't pass the DPS check. ;)

@Glurin

If a tank is fake because they aren't using tank skills then a dps is fake if they aren't using dps skills.

DPS don't get a free pass for refusing or being unable to do their job. The dps checks in those dungeons are typically minor.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 13, 2020 12:16AM
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake Tank

Tank blocks the Boss's heavy attack at max health and dies despite not standing in red and following mechanics. He built like a DPS and has almost no points in health.

Is he a fake tank? I'd say yes, same with DPS who don't DPS.
    Edited by Vevvev on December 13, 2020 12:16AM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS

Tank blocks the Boss's heavy attack at max health and dies despite not standing in red and following mechanics. He built like a DPS and has almost no points in health.

@Vevvev

A tank that doesn't press the right button to use a skill and doesn't have gear that will let him do his job properly is a fake. A dps that doesn't press the right buttons and doesn’t have gear that will let him do his job properly is a poor, unfortunate sole that just doesn’t know you need to press more than one button to play a video game. U.U

/s
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 13, 2020 12:19AM
    Options
  • RageKing
    RageKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

@Vevvev

A tank that doesn't press the right button to use a skill and doesn't have gear that will let him do his job properly is a fake. A dps that doesn't press the right buttons and doesn’t have gear that will let him do his job properly is a poor, unfortunate sole that just doesn’t know you need to press more than one button to play a video game. U.U

/s

Agree. if your pulling under 10k dps in a veteran dungeon you are not a bad dps, you are a fake dps. You should be mindfully aware by now what proper dps is and yet que for a role where your dps is around the same as a tank or healer. Does that make you a bad dps? No your a fake dps, just as fake as a tank without taunt or healer without heals.

there are 4 roles in the game. Tank,healer,dps and dead weight solo players. alot of people who are dead weight que for dps because they are not group players so dont tank or heal, instead insist on being carried and dont want to put any effort into their build and call anyone who says otherwise a elitist.

Nah bro, your a dead weight fake dps on the group and should be kicked after first boss if they are pulling uner 10kdps. thats the only way they will learn to get better.
    Options
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fake Tank
    If a tank is fake because they aren't using tank skills then a dps is fake if they aren't using dps skills.

DPS don't get a free pass for refusing or being unable to do their job. The dps checks in those dungeons are typically minor.

Pulling low numbers does not mean they aren't using DPS skills. On the contrary, you can still pull very low numbers even if you use DPS skills. Even if they fail at it, as long as they try to do the job, they are not fake.

On the other hand, it's pretty damn clear when a tank is not doing his job. No damage mitigation, no taunting, running around like a headless chicken, more worried about DPS than his actual job requirements... That is a fake tank.

I really don't get why this is such a difficult concept. Do your job and you're not a fake, regardless of whether you succeed or fail.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
    Options
  • Kaartinen
    Kaartinen
    ✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    Fake DPS is by far the worst.
    Options
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS

Pulling low numbers does not mean they aren't using DPS skills. On the contrary, you can still pull very low numbers even if you use DPS skills. Even if they fail at it, as long as they try to do the job, they are not fake.

On the other hand, it's pretty damn clear when a tank is not doing his job. No damage mitigation, no taunting, running around like a headless chicken, more worried about DPS than his actual job requirements... That is a fake tank.

I really don't get why this is such a difficult concept. Do your job and you're not a fake, regardless of whether you succeed or fail.
    zvavi wrote: »

You are right, bad tanks that try to hold agro by dealing damage are just bad, they are not fake, while fake dds queue without the intention to be the main damage source in group, therefore fake.

/s

Please, it is hypocritical to demand something from tanks (hold agro) while regarding dd's as something that can use 1 light attack in the begining of the dungeon, and already count them as dds because they dealt damage.

Also, he meant skills and gear, it is literally impossible to pull less than 10k if you are using 2 dots and 3 spammables over 10 seconds with 3 dps sets, food buff, and allocated attributes.
    Edited by zvavi on December 13, 2020 1:05AM
    Options
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fake Tank

You are right, bad tanks that try to hold agro by dealing damage are just bad, they are not fake, while fake dds queue without the intention to be the main damage source in group, therefore fake.

/s

Please, it is hypocritical to demand something from tanks (hold agro) while regarding dd's as something that can use 1 light attack in the begining of the dungeon, and already count them as dds because they dealt damage.

Also, he meant skills and gear, it is literally impossible to pull less than 10k if you are using 2 dots and 3 spammables over 10 seconds with 3 dps sets, food buff, and allocated attributes.

That's putting unnecessary requirements on the job. You don't need 3 dps sets, food buffs, "correct" attribute allocation and a complete rotation of 2 dots and 3 spamables activated within 10 seconds in order to qualify as a DPS. Nor do you need a sword/shield with heavy armor, max health, optimized resistances, multiple taunts and a self heal to qualify as a tank.

What is a tank's job? To control the boss. Doesn't matter how he does it as long as he does. What is a DPS's job? To do damage. Doesn't matter how he does it as long as he does. Anything beyond that fundamental principle is what determines the quality of your work. If you can do the job bare ass naked with nothing but a toothpick for a weapon, you're not a fake. But if you roll in there with all the above listed gear and stats and yet still flat refuse to fulfill the basic function of the position, that makes you a fake.
    Options
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake Tank
    In this game damage is king.

If there's no damage pure healer and tank can do little.

If there's no tank you can still kite and burn in many many instances.

When I tank most runs fail because the team doesn't know mechs or do atrocious damage.
    When I DD i rarely fail a run

I never fail a run as helaer often tank an I do last stand, I have a feeling you have a lot of mouth lol
    Options
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    svendf wrote: »
    In this game damage is king.

If there's no damage pure healer and tank can do little.

If there's no tank you can still kite and burn in many many instances.

When I tank most runs fail because the team doesn't know mechs or do atrocious damage.
    When I DD i rarely fail a run

I never fail a run as helaer often tank an I do last stand, I have a feeling you have a lot of mouth lol

lol a lot of mouth? Sounds like my experience is making you insecure for whatever reason I can't be bothered to hear.
    You said you never fail a run on your healer, and I'm the one with a mouth? lol Ego check please.
    I think it's great you and your tank are left standing and you never fail a run, I on the other hand can't pull every PUG group through I meet, maybe you run exclusively pre-made? Still not sure what it got to do with my mouth lol.
    Options
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake Tank
    100% of the time as a healer, I get fake dps

I don´t get fake dps I get player´s , who should consider level up their skills and char - if you don´t know what that mean you will for sure keep on fake tanking.

Your excuse as fake tanks are allway`s fake dps. I don´s believe you aree a healer with that statement.
    Options
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake Tank

@Glurin

There is no fake dps dude get real. They are just not up to the task. I can que my tank as dd and that will be fake dps, Lame excuse by a fake tank.
    Options
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake Tank

So according to the word "fake" you may be in a group, who had an extra tank or a healer, who forgot to swich fom trial to dungeon setup.

Not at all. What you had was a player,, who wasn´t up to the task, which happen and it´s not a crime. They are not fake they are dds, who entered the wrong dungeon.
    Edited by svendf on December 13, 2020 2:24AM
    Options
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Anyone that doesn't realize there are 3 other people in the dungeon so they just make everything take longer.
    QFT

There are always complaints about players who rush ahead being inconsiderate, but no one ever mentions that guy who stops at every bookshelf and container while everyone else waits for him.
    Options
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS

Im not fake tank when I deal most damage in group to generate most threat

Im ot fake tank because I have to low health, I jsut run with sets which I want to run and I dont need to wear specially sets for tanking to be able to tank, not my fault ZOS have designed so big hitters which will kill me if I dodnge in bad moment or if their hard hitting attacks is undadgable

Im not fake tank when I dont taunt, I want to generate most threat to keep agro on me by doing a lot of damage and cc enemies

Im not fake tank because I use bad skills for tank, I just dont have slots for these skills because I have slotted more skills for fast exploration or for pvp
    Options
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    svendf wrote: »

@Glurin

There is no fake dps dude get real. They are just not up to the task. I can que my tank as dd and that will be fake dps, Lame excuse by a fake tank.

tank not doing his job by tauning and cciing enemies is fake
    healer not doing his job by healing and buffing teammates is fake
    dps not doing his job by not having enough dps for dps check mechanic on boss is what? RPer?, 4th combat role? does it exists?
    ah yes, they do exists as @RageKing nicely named it:
    RageKing wrote: »
    and dead weight solo players.
    but problem we have with it we dont have option for 4th role in group tab for which we have to choose to go into dung, to inform our mates which role we are going
    Edited by iksde on December 13, 2020 4:42AM
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the amount of Fake Tank threads I made a commitment to main tanks and healers for PvE group content.

I tried getting into dungeons as DPS
    1. queue time took too long.
    2. It wasn't as engaging as playing a tank.

If I want good DPS challenge then I will go to PvP and/or Solo Arenas.
    Options
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    and my 2 cents for which fake role is wors
    healer - I dont even need him in any dung but maybe 1 or 2 for hm's for which Im still practising
    tank - for vet content, in basic dungs we can run without problem with 4dd anyway, in dlc dungs? they are mostly aware of they get into dlc dung as fake tank as mostly they was for random dung so they are not doing problem

and dd - yeah....shirtly I will jsut say it is annyoing when you get into dung and you jsut so how slowly boss is going down or even trash mobs before boss, then your team will go on your iright and kick with fake dd and we go further in dung jsut to see my % of group dps havn't even changed to much without this dd showith that our 1-2 support roles was doing more dps than this dd
    get into this dung with both fake dd's with dps like support roles and gl with doing this dung and even better gg if you are in dung with significant dps check mechanic
    Options
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fake Tank
    iksde wrote: »
    dps not doing his job by not having enough dps for dps check mechanic on boss is what? RPer?, 4th combat role? does it exists?

Yeah, that's an RPer or a bad DPS, which are not mutually exclusive concepts. He's not a fake. Your comparison is wrong.

Tank not doing his job by taunting and CCing enemies is fake. Tank not taunting or CCing enough is just bad.
    Healer not doing his job by healing and buffing teammates is fake. Healer not healing or buffing enough is just bad.
    DPS not doing any damage is fake. DPS not doing enough damage is just bad.

Get the picture?

You're not a fake as long as you perform the basic function of the role. You can be bad at it. You can be downright awful in fact, and fail at every challenge presented to you. But as long as you're doing the job you signed up to do, you are not a fake.
    Options
  • Fuzzybrick
    Fuzzybrick
    ✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    I can't even count the number of times I've essentially soloed a dungeon due to DPS not being able to just stay alive. Everyone knows a healers job is to keep a tank alive, a tanks job is to tank, and a DPS's job is to stay out of red and dps. 8 out of 10 of the dungeons I've tanked, I just give up on rezing DPSs and finish the dungeon on my own. Half of which I get a "thank you"
    "A TROLL, HUH? WELL, THERE'S ONLY ONE SOLUTION FOR THAT, DESTROY ALL THE BRIDGES IN THE WORLD!"-- Uncle Grandpa

VR 16 Stamina Templar
    VR 16 Magicka Templar
    VR 16 Magicka NB
    VR 16 Stamina DK
    VR 16 Magicka DK
    VR 16 Stamina Sorc
    VR 16 Magicka Sorc

Options
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS

Yeah, that's an RPer or a bad DPS, which are not mutually exclusive concepts. He's not a fake. Your comparison is wrong.

Tank not doing his job by taunting and CCing enemies is fake. Tank not taunting or CCing enough is just bad.
    Healer not doing his job by healing and buffing teammates is fake. Healer not healing or buffing enough is just bad.

Get the picture?

You're not a fake as long as you perform the basic function of the role. You can be bad at it. You can be downright awful in fact, and fail at every challenge presented to you. But as long as you're doing the job you signed up to do, you are not a fake.

so we dont have anything to be fake

got fake healer in dung doing more dps? sorry but he is jsut learning how to heal, his healing is just bad

you think you got fake tank? noo sorry, he is jsut learning how to use taunt and other cc's and when, how effectively use it
    o low hp for tank? maaaan he is just learning, he didn't get he gear yet
    if he dont have enough health it doesnt mean he wont stay alive or if he didnt stay alive....he is just bad tank, he is learning relfex when to dodge so he might die from hard hit, nothing fake here, no reason to kick if he is still learning!
    Options
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fake Tank

Get the picture?

so we dont have anything to be fake

got fake healer in dung doing more dps? sorry but he is jsut learning how to heal, his healing is just bad

you think you got fake tank? noo sorry, he is jsut learning how to use taunt and other cc's and when, how effectively use it
    o low hp for tank? maaaan he is just learning, he didn't get he gear yet
    if he dont have enough health it doesnt mean he wont stay alive or if he didnt stay alive....he is just bad tank, he is learning relfex when to dodge so he might die from hard hit, nothing fake here, no reason to kick if he is still learning!

You're still not getting it. What matters is intent. If I queue for a dungeon as a tank with absolutely no intention of doing anything that a tank is supposed to do, that makes me a fake tank. My stats, gear, skill bar, attributes, all of that is irrelevant for the most part. Even a tank who absolutely sucks at tanking is still a tank if he's trying to do the job of a tank.

The same principle applies to DPS. That's why there's no such thing as fake DPS. You're very likely not going to find anyone who is deliberately doing no damage because they really wanted to heal or tank. There's literally no upside to doing that. People fake tank because they can skip the queue or because they believe, rightly or wrongly, that they can do enough damage to make up for the lack of a real one. What could you possibly get out of going out of your way to not do any damage?
    Edited by Glurin on December 13, 2020 7:34AM
    Options
  • sirpz
    sirpz
    ✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    ive been grinding an EU account for fun the past month and started off with a tank, I don't know what it is, but I either had the absolute worst rnd luck or EU players are worse than NA, I've been in nEHII on my tank doing 5k dps, and I was doing 51% of the overall group dps.

For the love of god, not trying to sound "elitist" as I've been called before for telling people basic mechs, but if you're going to go into a dungeon, learn to play the game first. I've watched three dps RP walk around a boss, LA once every few seconds, arrow spray like twice, and that was it.

Its excruciatingly painful. BASIC light attack weaving isn't hard in the slightest, USE SKILLS. I don't want to spend 40 minutes in a 10 minute dungeon because you're too stubborn to learn how to properly play ATLEAST for the times when you're playing with others.

I have literally seen this stuff from cp600-cp900 people, its baffling to me how you can spend so much time playing with no idea of how to play
    Former Guild Master for the Gold Dragon Inquisitors
    Former Officer for the Stolen Sweetroll

The Bone Zone, Gryphon Heart | Argonian Necrotank
    Agristair Theol, Shield of the North | Breton Sorctank
    Julius Tullius Raenor, Immortal Redeemer | Imperial TankDK
    Rhosh the Impaler, Mageslayer | Orc Tankplar
    Blind-From-Shadows, Boethiah's Scythe | Argonain Tankblade
    Darius Countenain, Kyne's Will | Redguard Tankden

... and a bunch of other dps and heal toons

| CP 1300+ | 6500+hrs |
    Options
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake Tank
    The times I've failed dungeons came down to a bad or fake tank. It's fine if you're really a dps but I do expect you to taunt. Makes things go a lot easier.
    Options
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS

You're still not getting it. What matters is intent. If I queue for a dungeon as a tank with absolutely no intention of doing anything that a tank is supposed to do, that makes me a fake tank. My stats, gear, skill bar, attributes, all of that is irrelevant for the most part. Even a tank who absolutely sucks at tanking is still a tank if he's trying to do the job of a tank.

The same principle applies to DPS.

Lol. 100% correct. What matters is intent. If I go in a dungeon intending to hold agro by generating damage, I am still a fake tank.
    If I go into a dungeon, spamming light attacks, or the same DoT over and over again, wearing RP medium armor as a mag character, I am a fake dd.
    If a damage dealer, whose job is to deal damage (inside a 4 man group) has less damage than a fully specced tank, in 3 support sets, and tank CP, he does not have the intent of being the damage source in that group. Period. Just like a tank that came from games where he generates agro by dealing damage is fake because he isn't using a taunt.
    Options
  • PaddyVu
    PaddyVu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake DPS
    Fake dps of course, all dps below 20k is all fake !
    Options
  • MorganaLaVey
    MorganaLaVey
    ✭✭✭
    At which point would you say someone is "trying to do the job" and has the "intention of doing anything that a "insert Role" is supposed to do." ?
    The other day i did vFG1 and got a 230cp Tank with Heavy Armor and S&B but no Taunt and no Skillpoints for Taunt.
    Fake Tank or real Tank? He had the Intention of being a Tank but if he did not even inform him about most basic Tank Tasks can you say he realy was "trying to do the job of a tank" when he did not even know what the job of a Tank is? When he did near zero preparation? Yes he had Heavy Aromor and S&B but what is it worth if he does not have the agro?
    The same principle applies to DPS. That's why there's no such thing as fake DPS. You're very likely not going to find anyone who is deliberately doing no damage because they really wanted to heal or tank. There's literally no upside to doing that. People fake tank because they can skip the queue or because they believe, rightly or wrongly, that they can do enough damage to make up for the lack of a real one. What could you possibly get out of going out of your way to not do any damage?
    If you have solo players with Plague Doctor and Winters Respite DW & Destro are they realy "trying to do the job" ? Do they realy have the "intention of doing anything that "a DPS" is supposed to do." ? Is a DPS suposed to spam Bow LA ? I dont think so. Is it a DPS Job to spam Singel Target Execute on one (1) full Health Trashmob? If yes then i guess i leard the game wrong.
    What if a solo Player does not have the Intention of doing damage because he has no intention of doing anything at all and just wants to complete the Dungeon for the reward but not play it, and he knows if he queues as Tank or Heal he will be kicked for sure. Is he a fake dps ?
    Options
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fake Tank

The same principle applies to DPS.

Lol. 100% correct. What matters is intent. If I go in a dungeon intending to hold agro by generating damage, I am still a fake tank.

No, actually that makes you a real tank. You signed on as a tank and you generated aggro to control the boss. That's a tank. Hell, even if you signed on as a DPS and just happened to pull aggro all the time so you changed your behavior to fill the tank role, that still makes you a tank.

Like I said earlier, it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it. You don't actually need a taunt to be a tank. The defining characteristic of that job is controlling the boss. No more and no less.
    If a damage dealer, whose job is to deal damage

That's his job. He deals damage. Full stop. How much damage anyone else is doing in comparison is 100% irrelevant to the job description. It doesn't matter one bit if the tank is doing more damage or the healer or Bob the purple unicorn. At least as far as qualifying as a DPS is concerned.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.