The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

THE REACH GATE IN BANGKORAI DOESN'T GO INTO THE REACH?! ZOS FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!

• xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    Never thought about that, but it makes sense.

I haven't done anything with the PTS yet, but I assume the main quest starts in Markarth itself? I know that the Southern Elsweyr main quest started in Senchal proper, so you would need to use a cart or wayshrine in for that since it was pretty centrally located. The overland connection to the Reach from Western Skyrim comes down right by Karthwasten, but if the MQ starts in Markarth and has the North Markarth wayshrine active as the default, it seems then that they designed the Reach to be isolated like Southern Elsweyr, but it actually isn't.

Or I could be wrong.

I'd love to see them add the walkable connection in a later patch, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, the main quest starts off just outside Markarth. Both the wayshrine and the Bangkorai cart aren't too far away from the quest starter. The quest can also start a bit closer to the entrance to the city though. If you took a cart from Daggerfall/Davons Watch/Vulkhel Guard, you would appear closer to the gate, and the exact same scenario is playing out that leads into the main quest. So they clearly want you to start off Markarth right next to the city, unless you want to come in from Western Skyrim. Unless they add, I dunno, someone like Melina Cassel to give you a kick in the right direction by the Karthwasten gate. But then if they add her there, they can surely add her by a gate into Bangkorai, or a hypothetical Craglorn pathway

Is the gate there even working? last time i checked the western skyrim-to the reach gate just didn't work.
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭

Is the gate there even working? last time i checked the western skyrim-to the reach gate just didn't work.

Works fine for me
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The wagon from Bangkorai to the Reach doesn't work for a character that has completed Jackdaw Cove. I guess it puts the character in a different instance of that area. The wagon has no interaction prompt for him. I /bugged this.

The wagon works fine though for a character that hasn't done the Jackdaw Cove quest.

I had to actually buy the Markarth DLC in the Crown store on the PTS before the Bankorai to Reach wagon would work at all. This might be what is stopping people using the The Reach to Western Skyrim gate, which also works fine for me now in both directions.
    PC EU
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll echo what others have said here:
    1. I'm really grateful that ZOS listened to us and did something with this gate!
    2. I hope that they plan to add a proper gate to the Reach at some point, as that will be more immersive.

When the next chapter is announced, we really need to very loudly remind ZOS that any two zones that share a land border should also have a connecting road. If 2021 takes us to the Colovian Estates/Highlands, as we suspect, then that means connecting the gates that already exist in Reaper's March and the Gold Coast.

Hopefully they'll be able to squeeze in adding connections to places that are currently missing it, like the Reach/Craglorn and Alik'r/Bangkorai.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    I'll echo what others have said here:
    1. I'm really grateful that ZOS listened to us and did something with this gate!
    2. I hope that they plan to add a proper gate to the Reach at some point, as that will be more immersive.

When the next chapter is announced, we really need to very loudly remind ZOS that any two zones that share a land border should also have a connecting road. If 2021 takes us to the Colovian Estates/Highlands, as we suspect, then that means connecting the gates that already exist in Reaper's March and the Gold Coast.

Hopefully they'll be able to squeeze in adding connections to places that are currently missing it, like the Reach/Craglorn and Alik'r/Bangkorai.

I just want them to add more border gates in general.

Add one in the southern part of alik'r for future hammerfell things, add bordergate to Murkmire and even Southern Elsweyr, hell one of the people in dragonhold said they marched from Rimmen to Snechal...HOW?! lmao.

I do hope when they release more stuff they also connect it with gates.

There are still some gates waiting for use, the one in hews bane, the two in the gold coast and the one in arenthia leading to the colovian highlands (next years chapter) and one at the bottom south of shadowfen, leading into what i think was originally adventure zone murkmire before it became a q4 dlc, so hopefully whatever region is below shadowfen still does connect to it.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that this has been recognised as an important issue, but I find the wagon to be a very unsatisfying, glorified wayshrine. This solution fails address the heart of a problem we're trying to point out. Wayshrines and the like are great for zipping around the world when trying to fast-track your typical MMO grind, but are not, by themselves, enough for an MMO that sold itself as "not a traditional MMO" that strives to achieve a true Elder Scrolls experience, where exploration can be important.

Everyone who cares about stuff like lore and exploration is wondering why you bothered to put a gate in and then failed to use it. In lieu of a response, we're all speculating all sorts of reasons, including development deadlines, disconnects with Bethesda's vision of Skyrim, you don't have a good understanding of the worldspace, that its not something you guys really give a *** about, or you just plain forgot. Perhaps a combination of these.

Tamriel is said to be the main character of the whole series. ESO gave the promise of being able to explore it in amazing detail for the first time. That's why we came. We want to get to know the world. We want to see how nordic Dragonstar connects to the motherland. How the Greater Reach is defined, as a region. We want to speculate about how Ayrenn is moving troops into her Eastern Elsweyr gate in Cyrodiil, through Imperial-held Rimmen. We want to travel organically from one side of Tamriel to the other without cheesy teleports.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on October 21, 2020 2:32PM
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exploration is content in itself. You don't have to incentivise it. You don't have to develop contrived systems to get people to grind it. It just needs to be handled properly. I've spent a lot of time exploring in this game. I've enjoyed playing all types of content, but I wouldn't give a rat's whatever if it wasn't about Tamriel. If the story and the world lose priority I would lose reason to log in.
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that this has been recognised as an important issue, but I find the wagon to be a very unsatisfying, glorified wayshrine.

We want to travel organically from one side of Tamriel to the other without cheesy teleports.

Precisely. Wagons in this game are used for travelling to far away lands, like Pellitine and Western Skyrim from the alliance capitals, Murkmire from the starter zones. All the starter zones are connected by boat because they are far away from each other.

Bangkorai and the Reach share a friggin border
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno this is STILL broken. When I try to access the Reach from Bangkorai, there are no interactions at all on either the gate or the cart. When I try to access the Reach from Western Skyrim, I get told I do not meet the requirements, despite ESO+ being active.

This absolutely KILLS questing for me. I can handle questing being easy. I can handle some of the over-simplified stories and I can handle, somewhat sadly, the illusion of choice. But if questing gets reduced to "get story from crown store, port to wayshrine" I'm not going to bother. Let me start chapters and DLCs with a quest giver somewhere or a note (even in my in-game mailbox that is addressed like an actual letter inviting me to go somewhere or requesting my assistance). Then, give me an IN-GAME way to get there.

I have one character I quest with that uses Slow Dialog and True Explorations add-ons. She travels everywhere by foot or horse. She has never used a wayshrine. I even have all quest markers turned off so she has to talk to all NPCs and read notes/books to find quests herself. With the way Markarth is set up, she will never be able to get there.

I was ready to start Markarth this weekend. I played through the prologue and went looking for Gwendis after to see if she would request my help. Discovering that there's not an in-game method to direct me to The Reach and no in-game way to even go there, I'm turning the game off and playing something else. (Sure, I could do dungeons or trials with my friends but those are broken too.)
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    As of the recent PTS update, the Bangkorai gate is still non functional, and there is still no gate in the Reach zone that connects to Bangkorai. Not sure if an EU character copy is coming for this "Flames of Ambition" PTS cycle, but if there is, I'll check to see if the cart is still not working for those who have completed the Heart of Evil quest in Jackdaw Cove. Of course, I'd rather that there was no cart, and the gate was all you needed to get into the Reach.

Edit Yep, the cart is still a one way travel system out of the Reach for those who have completed Jackdaw Cove
    Edited by Kajuratus on February 9, 2021 9:02PM
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    So with the Deadlands PTS update, there is still no connection between Craglorn and the Reach. The cart from Bangkorai to the Reach may be fixed for those who have completed Jackdaw Cove, but the gate still isn't working. Not that theres any change to the Reach's layout to allow for a gate to lead into Bangkorai. Is this ever going to be fixed?
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    pain
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be really great if they fixed this sometime. I think I submitted a bug in-game last year.

That said, the connection between Eastmarch and Western Skyrim is pretty tenuous in its current state, too: going Western Skyrim to Eastmarch via Blackreach is no problem, but going Eastmarch to Western Skyrim requires you to progress in the Greymoor prologue quest first.

Honestly, I don't think we'll be able to really say that we can walk the circumference of Tamriel until they add something like Whiterun Hold to connect east and west. Hopefully by then, they'll have fixed this bug.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    So with the Deadlands PTS update, there is still no connection between Craglorn and the Reach. The cart from Bangkorai to the Reach may be fixed for those who have completed Jackdaw Cove, but the gate still isn't working. Not that theres any change to the Reach's layout to allow for a gate to lead into Bangkorai. Is this ever going to be fixed?

The Reach is in ZOS's rear-view mirror... do you even need to ask?

The time to do that was when The Reach was in development. For whatever reason, they did not make anything on the other size for that gate to connect to.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you simply don't Reach your destination going through that gate.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

i'm going to have to send you to pun jail.
  • thedoublegee_
    thedoublegee_
    Soul Shriven

Is this going to cause a Rift between you?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. It's so quiet in this thread, you can hear a stone fall.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this going to cause a Rift between you?

That's abit of a reach.